York City

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York City

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:08 pm

I have 3 little thoughts re this.

Firstly, is Mcgill looking for a way out here? By not getting the "backing" he said he required it might give him reason to jump ship without looking bad - that's if he's fed up with football and stuff, like what often happens.

Secondly, in the the way he underhandedly tapped up Gray so as not to pay up his contract, shows he's not averse such to duplicity.

Thirdly, if Gray had turned the team around and got them into 2nd or first position and looking good for promotion this Trust vote might not have happened, or might have produced a different result. One of the main gripes I have picked up on, is the fact that they are spending far too much on players etc, and it is not paying off.

"We must be the worst run professional team in the country" is a common mantra I have noticed online.

Well done York fans/back to the drawing board Mcgill.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:30 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Would not surprise me in the least having been told what to do with his money by Darlo,such is his massive ego that he is determined to make Poolies very successful and put two fingers in our direction.Just a thought.
I'd be absolutely staggered if this was RS's primary aim. A welcome side benefit - yes - and one he would point to constantly. but not the reason he's getting involved.

he's a businessman. businessmen want to make money - primary aim. get your popcorn ready and sit back and watch.....

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:01 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Would not surprise me in the least having been told what to do with his money by Darlo,such is his massive ego that he is determined to make Poolies very successful and put two fingers in our direction.Just a thought.
I'd be absolutely staggered if this was RS's primary aim. A welcome side benefit - yes - and one he would point to constantly. but not the reason he's getting involved.

he's a businessman. businessmen want to make money - primary aim. get your popcorn ready and sit back and watch.....
Exactly this. We've seen before when he was in charge of Darlington, his primary motivation was to make money. He hung around because he thought he benefit himself by developing the land around the Arena (hence his minor meltdown when he demanded the council lift covenants on land he didn't own!)

There's no reason to suspect he's changed. I was staggered last summer when some fans wanted to give him the time of day and listen to his proposal to buy back into his.

What's more staggering is that someone who failed so spectacularly with a football club is seemingly getting back involved. The desperation is astonishing.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:15 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:

Exactly this. We've seen before when he was in charge of Darlington, his primary motivation was to make money. He hung around because he thought he benefit himself by developing the land around the Arena (hence his minor meltdown when he demanded the council lift covenants on land he didn't own!)

There's no reason to suspect he's changed. I was staggered last summer when some fans wanted to give him the time of day and listen to his proposal to buy back into his.

What's more staggering is that someone who failed so spectacularly with a football club is seemingly getting back involved. The desperation is astonishing.
You've got to question his motivation. There must be easier ways to get your hands on some land to develop,if that's his intention.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:22 pm

McGill's put York up for sale.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:23 pm

McGill has put York up for sale :o

You've got to feel for the fans but also laugh like fuck at Gray - unlucky son. Grass isn't always greener, and all that.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:40 pm

Quakerz wrote:McGill has put York up for sale :o

You've got to feel for the fans but also laugh like fuck at Gray - unlucky son. Grass isn't always greener, and all that.
As long the new owners have plenty of money......sorry resources and MG will fulfil everyones dreams.

Interesting times, anyhow at least no crisis coming our way this summer just some recruitment on the field and a budget that our owners are willing to provide without debt.

tezza

Post by tezza » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:40 pm

Statement YC Chairman: Oh Martin ... York City chairman Jason McGill has released a statement following last night's Special General Meeting of the York City Supporters' Trust.

Members rejected the proposal to transfer the Trust's 25 per cent stake in York City to majority shareholder Jason McGill and his company J M Packaging.

The Trust has 910 members but only 385 votes were cast in the ballot with 262 votes against the proposal and 123 votes in favour.

"I was immensely disappointed at the decision last night by a majority of 139 members of the York City Supporters’ Trust to decline my offer of financing the Football Club until the opening of the new Community Stadium - which clearly has a wide reaching impact upon the substantial loyal York City fan base.

"It is therefore with deep regret I consider there is no alternative other than to offer the interests of J M Packaging Limited in the Football Club for sale to someone who is able to reconcile the Trust’s objective of operating on a breakeven financial position, whilst providing both the finances and aspiration necessary for any sporting entity to be successful.

"Interested parties, including the York City Supporters’ Trust, in accordance with the 2006 Agreements, should contact my Accountant, Steven Kilmartin at Hentons (York) Limited, 124 Acomb Road, York, YO24 4EY, with details of outline proposals and proof of their financial integrity to support a satisfactory outcome to negotiations. Any submissions, meeting the minimum requirements mentioned, need to be registered by 30th April 2018."

Jason McGill

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:44 pm

Wonder if the ink is dry on Raj's deal to buy the chokers? Martin and Schteve might give him a call and tell him he's buying the wrong club.

tezza

Post by tezza » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:15 pm

My thoughts exactly

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:21 pm

Quakerz wrote:McGill has put York up for sale :o

Can't see York being a very attractive proposition, unless there is some rich York fan willing to buy the club. Their loses are going to put off most people. Worrying times for York fans.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:20 pm

My first thought was :wtf: - the York City fans did not do anything to deserve the mess they now find their club in and hence have my sympathy. Their Trust were very brave not to capitulate to the blackmailing tactics, but now they may have to really start on the fundraising to save their club.

Second thought was :( , will York City still be around to play the promised pre-season game which was part of the Martin Gray departure arrangements :?:

We should have insisted on some real compensation in the form of hard cash.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:32 pm

jjljks wrote:My first thought was :wtf: - the York City fans did not do anything to deserve the mess they now find their club in and hence have my sympathy. Their Trust were very brave not to capitulate to the blackmailing tactics, but now they may have to really start on the fundraising to save their club.

Second thought was :( , will York City still be around to play the promised pre-season game which was part of the Martin Gray departure arrangements :?:

You might worry that they possibly may owe us a payment I believe in June or July.

Johnston advised we didn't get money for Ferguson, Beck or both upfront as you generally don't in football.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:10 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
jjljks wrote:My first thought was :wtf: - the York City fans did not do anything to deserve the mess they now find their club in and hence have my sympathy. Their Trust were very brave not to capitulate to the blackmailing tactics, but now they may have to really start on the fundraising to save their club.

You might worry that they possibly may owe us a payment I believe in June or July.

Johnston advised we didn't get money for Ferguson, Beck or both upfront as you generally don't in football.
I always thought you got some of the transfer fee upfront and the balance in installments seems odd the other way round?

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:12 pm

Thanks Les, I take it you meant to include Barlett rather than Beck who is at Harrogate now or do Harrogate also have to cough up some more cash too?
Given the parlous state of many clubs finances, I am surprised we don't insist on cash. Assume we do credit checks on Experian or use Visa/Mastercard in case of defaults? Never mind 'caveat emptor' as Del Boy Trotter used to say.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:25 pm

McGill will want his money back first and for most - he has been overspending for a long time on the squad and keeping them full time - now he will want someone else to pay for his gamble.
It will be interesting if by the end of April there are know potential buyers, you could have a scenario like Hartlepool where he will have to force his hand - which means pulling the plug on paying the bills to create a crisis situation in order to force a re vote or someone else doing something.
I can understand the deadline of the end of April as the football season will be virtually over then and at least it does not disrupt the potential promotion push via the playoffs for them. If they do get promoted it could change the outlook of the people who voted and that good will might see him getting his way.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:28 pm

jjljks wrote:Thanks Les, I take it you meant to include Barlett rather than Beck who is at Harrogate now or do Harrogate also have to cough up some more cash too?
Given the parlous state of many clubs finances, I am surprised we don't insist on cash. Assume we do credit checks on Experian or use Visa/Mastercard in case of defaults? Never mind 'caveat emptor' as Del Boy Trotter used to say.
Nope meant Beck. As in Johnston wasn't specific on which player or if both had staggered payments.

If only Beck then not a worry if Ferguson then will they have the cash to pay? I actually think they will be fine so nothing to worry about

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:30 pm

bga wrote:

I always thought you got some of the transfer fee upfront and the balance in installments seems odd the other way round?
Not sure Johnston wasn't specific, basically I think we did get something up front and then set dates for future payments. Probably after season ticket money has come in.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:36 pm

bga wrote:

Not sure Johnston wasn't specific, basically I think we did get something up front and then set dates for future payments. Probably after season ticket money has come in.[/quote
That is different than to what you had originally posted I.e. no upfront payment at all I think something up front and then installments is the way most clubs do business isn't it?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:55 pm

Such a sad and familiar situation.

I see he's tried to blame the 'majority' vote for making a decision that will have wider reaching consequences for the York fans. The York fans who couldn't be bothered to join the trust or vote.

I'm sure Gray will be shitting himself now and as suggested above is probably tapping up Raj to see if he has finalised his dealings with Hartlepool.

It emphasises again just how glad I am we are now in control of our club and how much I never want to go back to that model of ownership. Even if it means we play regionalised football for the rest of my life.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:44 pm

I feel very sorry for the City fans to find themselves in this mess. It's always the fans that are turned over when businessmen get their dirty hands on our football clubs.

Hartlepool - be very, very afraid.

As for City's manager - I hope he gets all he deserves.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:50 pm

bga wrote:
bga wrote:

Not sure Johnston wasn't specific, basically I think we did get something up front and then set dates for future payments. Probably after season ticket money has come in.[/quote
That is different than to what you had originally posted I.e. no upfront payment at all I think something up front and then installments is the way most clubs do business isn't it?
Yeah missed out the word 'all'

Johnston advised we didn't get (all) money for Ferguson, Beck or both upfront as you generally don't in football.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:24 pm

Thanks for clarifying Les

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:14 pm

Latest from York:
Jason McGill and Jackie McNamara, the chairman and CEO of York City have both stepped down from their respective roles.
This is after last Thursday when a majority of York City Supporters’ Trust members declined the offer by J M Packaging to buy the remaining 25% of the club that they said would finance the football club until the opening of the new Community Stadium.

"With immediate effect the Chairman, Jason McGill, is retiring from his role and will have no further involvement in the running of the club," A club statement said.

"With immediate effect CEO, Jackie McNamara, is leaving York City Football Club.

"With immediate effect a new board of directors has been established to run the football club with the pressing need to produce a breakeven position whilst maintaining the aspiration of success."

A new board has been created with four directors including the Sporting Director Dave Penney.

York City are back in action tonight in the Vanarama National League North as they face Southport

**Interesting comment about breaking even, how a club at this level can sustain the staff, players etc - it will be impossible **
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:33 pm

If they're looking to trim the squad we could offer them the proceeds of a friendly for Ferguson and Bartlett?

DC

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:46 pm

Welcome to the real world Martin,better get used to a "sustainable" budget next season.Will be a miracle if they are FT next season.What comes around and all that.Up the Quakers.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

tezza

Post by tezza » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:47 pm

Becoming messy very quickly: Not a cat in hell chance of running on a breakeven basis without slashing the current resources. Challenging times ahead on/off field.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:56 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Latest from York:
Jason McGill and Jackie McNamara, the chairman and CEO of York City have both stepped down from their respective roles.
This is after last Thursday when a majority of York City Supporters’ Trust members declined the offer by J M Packaging to buy the remaining 25% of the club that they said would finance the football club until the opening of the new Community Stadium.

"With immediate effect the Chairman, Jason McGill, is retiring from his role and will have no further involvement in the running of the club," A club statement said.

"With immediate effect CEO, Jackie McNamara, is leaving York City Football Club.

"With immediate effect a new board of directors has been established to run the football club with the pressing need to produce a breakeven position whilst maintaining the aspiration of success."

A new board has been created with four directors including the Sporting Director Dave Penney.

York City are back in action tonight in the Vanarama National League North as they face Southport

**Interesting comment about breaking even, how a club at this level can sustain the staff, players etc - it will be impossible **

If McGill keeps to what is stated in that announcement, its hard to see how York can:

a) Employ a full time manager and admin staff
b) Employ highly paid full time professionals
c) Avoid administration if McGill seeks back the money he has put in

Perhaps there may be 2 new sides in the Northern League next season, York & Hartlepool?

On a more serious note, York are in play off positions now. If they won promotion, would the National League accept them with such dodgy finances. They have taken a strict line in the past with for example refusing to accept Boston when they were relegated from L2

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:10 pm

They're a laughing stock, eh Martin?

Are you going to help rattle those buckets to boost your budget?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:17 pm

Quakerz wrote:They're a laughing stock, eh Martin?

Are you going to help rattle those buckets to boost your budget?
Over the last few days we’ve seen a lot of ‘what goes around comes around’ (I’m talking cricket here).

Good to see it happening to Martin.......Poolies next please!