York City

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Spyman
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York City

Post by Spyman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:03 am

LoidLucan wrote:Looks like he's done a great job in convincing his public.

He'll be seething underneath all this. He jumped ship for a "proper football club, proper stadium" with lashings of cash, rich owner and thought "here we go to the Promised Land". The reality is the owner's pulling out, there's a major split in the fanbase, they're facing big cutbacks to the budget, Gray's made big mistakes in recruitment, they've nosedived on the pitch and the fans want him out. It's a funny old game....
Isn't it funny that these 'football people', don't actually understand a thing about how football is paid for?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:06 am

I also find it funny that a lot of these 'football people' think that the fans are thick.

A few are like .................
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:15 am

These comments by Gray smack of a man desperate to keep his job, his career is on the line if he gets the bullet, where would he go.?.The man is pathetic.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:30 am

Credibility gone.

shawry

Post by shawry » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:39 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:Credibility gone.
Lol, did he have any?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:45 am

The York fans are seeing right through him - they know he came and left us for the money and the promise of a healthy budget.
Now, he will be working within a budget, he says this is fine by him and its the right thing to do anyway!
I predict a summer of turmoil at York with the fall out from the ownership after 30th April. I wonder in the York supporters trust have got their plans ready as York could be left in the doo doo and it will have to be picked up by them.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:17 pm

tdk1 wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:Gray welcomes York cutbacks.... Really?.... He's having a laugh, isn't he?

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/yorkci ... York_City/

When he says he wants to bring his own players in, does that include the 50 he's already signed for them?

That is some brass neck isn't it? Presumably this means he'll be back after some of our players in the summer though.
I very much doubt any of our players would see York as a better proposition next season than ourselves. Especially if they are no longer full-time.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Yeah, I was thinking after I wrote that, who could he possibly want. Given the criteria he has laid down and the constraints I could only really muster Gary Brown and possibly Leon Scott, then more remotely (because of their finances) thompson or galbraith

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:12 pm

“We don’t want to bring in the best footballers, we want to bring in the bravest.”

“Salford will win the championship in my opinion because of their desire and toughness,” Gray argued.

Just as Gray told us at the fans forum last year, we don't need more investment to achieve promotion, we just need more desire and toughness. Didn't he?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:23 pm

Yarblockos wrote:“We don’t want to bring in the best footballers, we want to bring in the bravest.”

“Salford will win the championship in my opinion because of their desire and toughness,” Gray argued.

Just as Gray told us at the fans forum last year, we don't need more investment to achieve promotion, we just need more desire and toughness. Didn't he?
And he offered a 2 year contract to James Caton, who lets face it, is hardly Mr Desire and Toughness, is he?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:58 pm

What about York and Gray part company, then Hartlepool get a new manager? Hartlepool offer a pre-season friendly as 'compensation' to York then several 'brave' players get tempted by long contracts to leave DarloFC for a good transfer fee. (Caton for example). Gray gets to be manager under his benefactor Singh and within a couple of dour seasons, Pools get kicked out of the leagues entirely. So many possibilities......mmm, roll on next season.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:03 pm

I think it was Stod who tweeted that Salford have a player who is on £2500 per week!

Is this the sort of 'brave/tough player Gray's after?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:04 pm

Spyman wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:“We don’t want to bring in the best footballers, we want to bring in the bravest.”

And he offered a 2 year contract to James Caton, who lets face it, is hardly Mr Desire and Toughness, is he?
But you have to admit Caton is brave - who else would wear gloves and tights to play at BM? :lol:

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:23 pm

Caton, has the ability its belief in his own ability that is missing, if he can find that he would be an asset the ability is there he's got to believe in himself.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:54 pm

onewayup wrote:Caton, has the ability its belief in his own ability that is missing, if he can find that he would be an asset the ability is there he's got to believe in himself.
His time is running out, I would expect he will get plenty of game time over the next week with 3 games coming up in quick succession.
I just cant see him being consistent enough.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:53 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
onewayup wrote:Caton, has the ability its belief in his own ability that is missing, if he can find that he would be an asset the ability is there he's got to believe in himself.
His time is running out, I would expect he will get plenty of game time over the next week with 3 games coming up in quick succession.
I just cant see him being consistent enough.
His time isn't running out because he's on a 2 year deal.

And let's just say if we want rid there will be no takers because his wages are a lot more than any Northern League/Evostik league clubs are willing to pay.

As it happens, I thought he was just beginning to show what he was capable of during the start of our run, but he unfortunately got smashed by a Blyth player and was out injured for a few weeks.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:08 pm

To be fair, we would not have won at Leamington had it not been for Caton (or Thommo).

But he is a wide man and if we are to get the best (whatever that may be) out of him, then it's going to come when he is out there not elsewhere on the pitch.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:12 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:To be fair, we would not have won at Leamington had it not been for Caton (or Thommo).

But he is a wide man and if we are to get the best (whatever that may be) out of him, then it's going to come when he is out there not elsewhere on the pitch.
He made an impact in one game - that's not enough! I thought he got treated harshly at the start of the season but he barely produces and probably never will.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

divas

Post by divas » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:13 pm

Hugely frustrating that Gray signed him as a striker which has meant we’ve been very light on options up front this season. I expect you could probably get a player of Styche’s quality to replace him if we could get rid

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:31 pm

I firmly believe that Caton can find the confidence that is missing with a full preseason to come under Tommy and Alan, he has had some bad luck with injuries since he came to us and at crucial times of just coming good,

Which knocked his confidence and self belief. Let's give him a chance to prove himself start off next season. If he still cannot do it then is the time to say enough is enough. Should he prove me right he will be worth good money to the club.

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:00 pm

onewayup wrote:I firmly believe that Caton can find the confidence that is missing with a full preseason to come under Tommy and Alan, he has had some bad luck with injuries since he came to us and at crucial times of just coming good,

Which knocked his confidence and self belief. Let's give him a chance to prove himself start off next season. If he still cannot do it then is the time to say enough is enough. Should he prove me right he will be worth good money to the club.
Agreed. Give him consistent playing time over pre-season and see what he can do.

Changed the game against Leamington, brilliant assist for the second goal against Blyth too. Clearly has talent

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:50 pm

I do get the feeling tw is a pretty good man manager - as long as he wants you.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:52 pm

I don't think we can afford to carry passengers next season with the budget being cut. No more luxury signings which we had last season (Richards, Fenwick etc). We are going to need to operate on a solid 16/17 man squad topped up with young players (Vaulks, Glover etc) and a couple of loanees.

All well and good saying we will keep Caton in case he comes good but you have to think where that wage can go at further strengthening the squad in an area we actually need to, or bring in another player who you know will have a bigger impact in that position. The same applies to Mills.

That may sound harsh however it is the reality of the situation we are in. Going in to the summer we won't have the budget we have had over the past two summers. That isn't to say we cannot make the play-offs or put together an exciting squad (as I think TW is developing), it just means we need to be more careful with recruitment and retaining players.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:57 pm

Caton is on contract for another year though. We've still got to shift marrs and burgess yet, there's no guaranteed we can let him go. So yes, you're basically right about numbers, but some players will be staying because there's nothing we can do with them.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:32 am

How long is Mills under contract? Seems to be a bit of a luxury we could easily do without.

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:32 am

jjljks wrote:How long is Mills under contract? Seems to be a bit of a luxury we could easily do without.
Mills has been a major disappointment, looks overweight and Gillies is a far better option anyway.Struggling to even make the bench now so hopefully Tommy can move him on.Hopefully he is not on a 2 year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:28 am

Just had a quick look at York Press headline - City have just gone 4 successive games without scoring which has not been done for 96 years. Shows that Gray cannot change his tactics when he has no targetman up front to hit with a long ball.
Also liked one comment that someone had posted about going to Bootham Crescent to enjoy watching 2 fit, skillful and professional team battle it out, only to suckerpunch by saying it was the Knights Rugby League team :clap: :lol:
Cannot see MG's reign being very much longer. Perhaps Arsenal will call on the self proclaimed Messiah? Certainly the York fans do not want him to stay

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:01 am

I have copied a post from the Press webpage. Here a poster ponders over Martin Gray's dramatic change of mind over the money situation and quotes the increasingly silly looking Gray..

Gary_Mills_Haircut20th April 8:24 am

I wonder whats changed his mind since he said this 4 weeks ago:

"But I cannot see how it will be possible to take the club forward - both in the short and the long term - if the chairman withdraws his financial support and the whole football club is run on a part-time basis.

"It is important to budget sensibly but without external funding and access to increased revenue it is difficult to produce a break-even position, especially without making dramatic cuts to the clubs infrastructure.

"I believe that it is the infrastructure that will lead to success in the long run. Given the opportunity, and with the right tools, I will bring success to York City Football Club. I am here to build something we can all be proud of.

"You only have to look at the two teams who are now, realistically, competing for automatic promotion from our division. Salford City and Harrogate Town are funded by their owners and, as a result, they have playing budgets and infrastructure to match.

"I have competed against Salford for the last three seasons and, at Darlington, we had reached a point where it was almost impossible to do so - and that came down to money. Without substantial investment, it will be difficult to get to the next level.
Last Updated: 20th April 7:07 pm
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:07 pm

Such a shame to see York throw away three points today.

Poor Martin :lol:

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:36 pm

Doddsy wrote:Such a shame to see York throw away three points today.

Poor Martin :lol:
Yep, would love to have been in the dressing room at FT as a fly on the wall. Must catch MG Excuse Of The Day. :oops: