York City

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York City

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:09 pm

I seem to remember it was £40k for a 9% stake, with the investment going into MG's playing budget.

Without wanting to restart that debate, the idea of Singh owning any part of the club, however small was unpalatable to me.

Once he was in, that would have been it. MG could metaphorically have held a gun to our heads, saying he needed more money or he was off (and let's be honest, fans would have backed him). Singh invests more and increases his stake. We could have ended up in a similar situation to York, with a benefactor wanting rule changes to facilitate an increase in shareholding.

I was delighted when Singh flounced off.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:09 pm

I was happy to take Singh's £40k and would've taken more - although not for any kind of involvement in the club.

The way I see it, he owed us that money as we had to pay off the debt he accumulated and then left behind.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:56 pm

Spyman wrote:I was happy to take Singh's £40k and would've taken more - although not for any kind of involvement in the club.

The way I see it, he owed us that money as we had to pay off the debt he accumulated and then left behind.
bit too much of a risk - unless we were able to contractually pin down that the money was a gift and gave singh nothing in return. and as I keep saying, RS is a businessman. and businessmen want to make money.

I can't imagine the prize money for winning the NLN is even £40k?

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:29 pm

Darlogramps wrote:However, plenty within the fanbase were comfortable with the idea of Raj being back in the fold. There was a school of thought last May of "let's take his £40k and hear him out."
I wonder how man of those who wanted Raj back then would still want him back now.
It is a good job in my opinion that there was a very vociferous campaign to oppose Singh. We have managed quite well without Singh and his thirty pieces of silver.
We have no rich benefactors, no celebrity supporters, just a dedicated band of volunteers and donars who as we have seen will time and again contribute to whatever fundraising pitch is necessary. Whether it is a contribution of thousand quid to raise the roof or chucking a quid in a bucket, most supporters donate what they can afford and probably more. As owners of D.F.C. it is the least we can do, and boy does it feel good to be part of this club.
The jury may be still out on Tommy Wrights coaching skills, but his off-field initiatives, interviews and enthusiasm are precisely what a community fan owned club needs. Visiting schools, the academy, bringing young players into the squad,and the ability to be positive when interviewed without being sullen and morose.
This may not have been a great season on the pitch but we were always destined to reach a point of consolidation after so many quick promotions. I believe the club finances are now in safe hands and much credit must go to David Johnson and his team.
Much to look forward to over the summer, not least the Legends game, which again shows the enthusiasm of supporters to vote us into the winning position.
Of course the catalyst for all this has been this Forum, without Uncovered we would not have a club to be proud of.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:42 pm

banktopp wrote:The jury may be still out on Tommy Wrights coaching skills, but his off-field initiatives, interviews and enthusiasm are precisely what a community fan owned club needs. Visiting schools, the academy, bringing young players into the squad,and the ability to be positive when interviewed without being sullen and morose.
You're quite right. At this level and with our set-up, the Manager does need to be an ambassador for the club and something of a marketeer for the club.

Martin Gray, in hindsight, was an ambassador for Martin Gray and the Martin Gray Football Academy - and I think some of the work he did building his empire was mistaken for building ties between the club and the community.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:18 pm

Darlogramps wrote:However, plenty within the fanbase were comfortable with the idea of Raj being back in the fold. There was a school of thought last May of "let's take his £40k and hear him out."
I'm not sure about the word 'plenty' - I would say 'a few'.

Anyway binning Singh was absolutely vital, I could list out the reasons but haven't got the time, and would rather look forward, because it's looking good.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

divas

Post by divas » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:26 pm

There was little chance, if any, of articles being re-written to allow Singh to obtain more than 15% of the shareholding of DFC anyway.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:31 pm

I wanted to take the £40k and hear him out. In hindsight I was wrong, but didn't know so at the time.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:36 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
I'm not sure about the word 'plenty' - I would say 'a few'.

Anyway binning Singh was absolutely vital, I could list out the reasons but haven't got the time, and would rather look forward, because it's looking good.
No perfect way to judge but there was a lot of support for the idea of Singh's investment. From threads on here, from people I know and spoke to, there was a surprising amount of people who would have happily taken Singh's money.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:05 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Spyman wrote:I was happy to take Singh's £40k and would've taken more - although not for any kind of involvement in the club.

bit too much of a risk - unless we were able to contractually pin down that the money was a gift and gave singh nothing in return. and as I keep saying, RS is a businessman. and businessmen want to make money.

I can't imagine the prize money for winning the NLN is even £40k?
I'd just like to reiterate in case I wasn't clear - I was no way interested in allowing Singh to become involved with us again.

I would however gladly have taken his cash, no strings attached, as he owes us for bailing him out in 2012.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

DC

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:04 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:I wanted to take the £40k and hear him out. In hindsight I was wrong, but didn't know so at the time.
I wanted to take Raj Singh's £20k and bury him in a pile of snow :lol:

Nobody said running a fan-based club would be easy, but at least we can all sleep soundly in our beds knowing we will not be betrayed by a 'benefactor'

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:51 am

jjljks wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:I wanted to take the £40k and hear him out. In hindsight I was wrong, but didn't know so at the time.
I wanted to take Raj Singh's £20k and bury him in a pile of snow :lol:

Nobody said running a fan-based club would be easy, but at least we can all sleep soundly in our beds knowing we will not be betrayed by a 'benefactor'
Does R.S. sleep like a bat hanging upside down?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:59 am

I wanted to hear him. Didn't care whether he gave us money. I wanted him to stand up and tell the 'full' story that he keeps saying we don't know. Face the fans and explain why he did what he did.
Then leave and never darken the doors of our club again.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:37 pm

OHDFC wrote:I wanted to hear him. Didn't care whether he gave us money. I wanted him to stand up and tell the 'full' story that he keeps saying we don't know. Face the fans and explain why he did what he did.

Which is why he bailed out, because he would been trying to justify everything he did with so many people who already have a detailed knowledge of his actions. There is no way he would have got anywhere near owning our club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:36 pm

QuakerPete wrote:
OHDFC wrote:I wanted to hear him. Didn't care whether he gave us money. I wanted him to stand up and tell the 'full' story that he keeps saying we don't know. Face the fans and explain why he did what he did.

Which is why he bailed out, because he would been trying to justify everything he did with so many people who already have a detailed knowledge of his actions. There is no way he would have got anywhere near owning our club.

Yet the poolies are prepared to bury their heads in the sand and take his word for things despite the fact a little bit of digging would show them that you just cant take his word for anything! But its ok, Jeff Stelling takes Raj's word as gospel!!

shawry

Post by shawry » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:15 pm

loan_star wrote:
QuakerPete wrote:

Yet the poolies are prepared to bury their heads in the sand and take his word for things despite the fact a little bit of digging would show them that you just cant take his word for anything! But its ok, Jeff Stelling takes Raj's word as gospel!!
Or they had no other option to save themselves

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:51 am

Quakerz wrote:
Leamington are also in big danger at the bottom so have everything to play for.
Leamington are now safe.

DC

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:07 am

99.9% unlikely that they will go down now, but not a mathematical impossibility yet.

They still have something in theory to play for.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

en passant

Post by en passant » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:08 am

As Ginge has said in his excellent analysis, it is hard to argue against the current bottom three staying there. For all their last two victories, Gainsborough look to be damned by their massive goal difference deficit, which means they have to get at least a win and a draw (more likey two wins) to have any hope. Tamworth are a point worse off and have no momentum to suggest that they will get there either. The long standing projection that 47 points would be a guaranteed safety limit seems to be holding good.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:05 am

Quakerz wrote:99.9% unlikely that they will go down now, but not a mathematical impossibility yet.

They still have something in theory to play for.
You're right - I totally misread the table and thought they were 7 points, not 5, off relegation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:08 am

Gray welcomes York cutbacks.... Really?.... He's having a laugh, isn't he?

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/yorkci ... York_City/

When he says he wants to bring his own players in, does that include the 50 he's already signed for them?

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:17 am

LoidLucan wrote:Gray welcomes York cutbacks.... Really?.... He's having a laugh, isn't he?

When he says he wants to bring his own players in, does that include the 50 he's already signed for them?

That is some brass neck isn't it? Presumably this means he'll be back after some of our players in the summer though.

tezza

Post by tezza » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:21 am

Hahahahaha.....Smacks of desperation

YORK City boss Martin Gray has welcomed an end to the “open cheque book” recruitment policy at Bootham Crescent.

Gray has insisted that the Minstermen must start paying salaries more commensurate with sixth-tier regionalised football and is already in discussions with certain targets for next season, having been instructed by the current board of directors to recreate the winning culture he built at previous club Darlington.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:30 am

tdk1 wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:Gray welcomes York cutbacks.... Really?.... He's having a laugh, isn't he?

That is some brass neck isn't it? Presumably this means he'll be back after some of our players in the summer though.
Surely for the last 6 months he's been in a position not to spend freely and start cutting his cloth? I'm sure McGill didn't force him to spend spend spend.

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:37 am

Next he'll be saying that a fan-owned mentality is the way to go :D.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:00 am

I wonder if he has the awareness to have realised this is exactly what could've happened had Singh got back in at Darlington (or any other "investor")?

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:09 am

McGill and Gray kind of deserve each other as they both showed a dodgy streak by the way in which Gray was tapped up and left - over night.

McGill no doubt would have sold Gray stuff like 'I'm in for the long haul,won't sell up and will offer you big finances etc' while Gray would of said stuff like ' I'm a winner/I will get a play off place etc'

Gray's comments in The York Press are becoming increasingly more comical, he'll say anything!
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:39 am

The comments section under the piece in the Yorkpress article are priceless - here's a selection....

Village Red 19th April ‎04‎:‎24‎ ‎PM

Dear Mr Gray it was the open cheque book that lured you here in the first place, as you moaned about lack of investment when you jumped ship at Darlo.

pip007 19th April ‎04‎:‎25‎ ‎PM
"In the past, we've just been funded and funded by Jason McGill and that open cheque book philosophy is not the way to manage and run a football club."

...It wasn't the funding that let us down it was the football on the pitch. Stop trying to shift the focus.... (backing MG to)....build "a team in the form of champions elect Salford" but without the Singaporean billionaire backer and the 5 millionaire ex-footballers.

sb72 19th April ‎04‎:‎35‎ ‎PM

"In the past, we've just been funded and funded by Jason McGill "
I would argue that this statement is somewhat misleading. It should really read "In the past we have been lent money by Jason McGill, money that Mr McGill knows he can recover from the upcoming sale of our ground."

eyeofyork 19th April ‎05‎:‎07‎ ‎PM

Things are quite desperate when we have to lay a smokescreen. Have no doubts - we were crap when Gray came, he signed a load of crap and thereafter we continued to play a load of crap

duffy 19th April ‎05‎:‎31‎ ‎PM

Well thats certainly interesting, the man seems to have done a complete u turn overnight. I agree with his comments, just think many will be amazed given what hes publically stated in the past including those at past fans meetings at Darlo

Peter S1947 19th April ‎05‎:‎51‎ ‎PM

Whats he talking about - hes had since September to procure value for money signings and hes been an abject failure. Do we want to go through another season of his - value for money squad. Weve got too many coaches and the management for this level is top heavy. Time for a management cull which includes either Gray or Penney - take your pick!!!

YCFCBelter 19th April ‎06‎:‎54‎ ‎PM

Will the real Martin Gray please stand up? Is it the cheque book manager that always wanted more at Darlo, tried to bring in an unwelcome investor, jumped ship to york for the bigger budget, and said before the shares vote that we needed to have someone bankrolling us? Or is this newly emerging pragmatist his true face and the past five years were an illusion? Sorry but it's hard to buy the Damascean conversion.

I wonder whats changed his mind since he said this 4 weeks ago:

"But I cannot see how it will be possible to take the club forward - both in the short and the long term - if the chairman withdraws his financial support and the whole football club is run on a part-time basis.

Old-Head 2 hrs ago

We appear to have a Manager who is as two faced as the station clock. He started off by welcoming the open cheque book policy which allowed him to bring in his mates, and his own choice of players. But now he is trying to tell us that this was not the best way forward, he now believes that financial restraint will enable us to build a team like Salford City

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:57 am

WOW. I mean just incredible!! What Gray says in this article is utter grade 'A' bollocks.

I have looked on these comments sections myself previously but gave it a rest today as I am weaning myself off.

"We appear to have a Manager who is as two faced as the station clock." Is a gem!
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:01 am

Looks like he's done a great job in convincing his public.

He'll be seething underneath all this. He jumped ship for a "proper football club, proper stadium" with lashings of cash, rich owner and thought "here we go to the Promised Land". The reality is the owner's pulling out, there's a major split in the fanbase, they're facing big cutbacks to the budget, Gray's made big mistakes in recruitment, they've nosedived on the pitch and the fans want him out. It's a funny old game....