Proposed new forum - testers wanted

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

mikkyx
Site Admin

Proposed new forum - testers wanted

Post by mikkyx » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:02 pm

Evening all,
As part of a long overdue refresh of this place I intend to introduce a new piece of forum software to replace phpBB. Feel free to suggest other (free!) options in this thread if you want but the one I've got my eye on at the moment is Discourse....

...the self hosted one, not the one costing $100/month!

If we were to go ahead with this I should be able to import most of the content from here over to there and we wouldn't lose too much (which may be a good or bad thing, I dunno) - but I need to know there's an appetite for it as I'll need to set up a test server for a month or two to give people a chance to try it out and then, if we like it, the server will be made permanent. I've just won a chunk of credit at my hosting firm so I'm happy to try this for now.

If you're interested in helping test this out - or you have any other suggestions for phpBB replacements (preferably with easy Laravel integration) then post in here. If there's enough interest I'll spin a server up and we'll give it a go :thumbup:
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

don'tbuythesun
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Proposed new forum - testers wanted

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:31 pm

Mike, you lost me at phpBB!! Happy to follow you experts wherever you take us.

Earl_Lee_Dawes

Post by Earl_Lee_Dawes » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:44 pm

Mikky, I'm also happy for you to try out new software. If it's got Laravel integration it must be OK (actually I have no idea what this is...).

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:04 pm

Happy to be tester :ugeek:

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:26 am

I'll be a tester and give it a whirl.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:34 am

Just be mindful of the new General Data Protection Regulations which are coming at end of May 2018. Plenty of T&c's, users consent, usual encryption and info security sweeping for malware etc. Ask testers to try it on a variety of OS and platforms. Not everyone keeps up to date with patches or hardware, so Keep It Simple, low data usage and even 3G. Thanks for your efforts :)

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:40 am

jjljks wrote:Just be mindful of the new General Data Protection Regulations which are coming at end of May 2018.....

I am not sure how any Data Controller can comply fully with the new regulations.

I have been involved both in a business and a voluntary sports club for children and neither organisation are able to fully comply with this dogs dinner of regulations

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:41 am

If it ain't broke, don't fix it !!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:51 am

spen666 wrote:
jjljks wrote:Just be mindful of the new General Data Protection Regulations which are coming at end of May 2018.....

I am not sure how any Data Controller can comply fully with the new regulations.

I have been involved both in a business and a voluntary sports club for children and neither organisation are able to fully comply with this dogs dinner of regulations
Which is probably exactly how they want it so that they can go around handing gigantic fines to everyone who can't possibly comply with everything.

Too cynical? :problem:

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:52 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:If it ain't broke, don't fix it !!
phpBB ain't broke, it's just old. I should at least try to upgrade it to 3.2 if I end up keeping it but I'm worried about the integration with the rest of the site.

There's a demo forum here if you fancy a look at what Discourse might look / work like: https://try.discourse.org/

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:13 am

As long as we don't lose such golden discussions as:

"has anybody seen the moon"
and
"Merlin vs Andy Park"

then do what you must...
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:43 am

mikkyx wrote:
spen666 wrote:

Which is probably exactly how they want it so that they can go around handing gigantic fines to everyone who can't possibly comply with everything.

Too cynical? :problem:
No, too right. It is v complicated but tries to protect privacy so if this can be designed into the upgrade, would be useful. Some help on http://www.ico.org.uk site.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:26 am

Do any other fans forums use it? I’ve been on a few different ones over the years and our present one is one of the best

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:13 pm

mikkyx wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:If it ain't broke, don't fix it !!
phpBB ain't broke, it's just old. I should at least try to upgrade it to 3.2 if I end up keeping it but I'm worried about the integration with the rest of the site.

There's a demo forum here if you fancy a look at what Discourse might look / work like: https://try.discourse.org/
I've had a look. I prefer how this one looks, it has a functional simplicity about it - although an upgrade may be in order.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:58 am

Thanks for the replies everyone - having looked into setting up a Discourse for something else I've decided against going ahead with this for now, but I'll continue exploring options.