Brackley V Darlington FC

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Brackley V Darlington FC

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:37 am

What was the crowd on Saturday?

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:15 am

Have you ever thought of putting the Vanarama National League into your 'Favorites' or
'Bookmarks'. A lot of your questions could be answered there, a lot quicker than posting on here.
Perish the thought you could even add 'Darlington FC' the official site.
Both of which will tell you the gate on Saturday. But I won't.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:08 pm

He wouldn't have such a high post count if he did that.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:25 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:He wouldn't have such a high post count if he did that.
It's even on the Fixtures tab on this website.

Come on Pete, make an effort.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:10 pm

Having watched the highlights I don't actually think it was a sending off (I'll await the replies).

My reasoning is simply that Harvey wouldn't of gotten to the ball had he been allowed to run, which therefore takes away the 'denying a clear goalscoring opportunity' (if that still exists).

If the same thing happened against us I wouldn't have been happy with a red

bga

Post by bga » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:24 pm

D_F_C wrote:Having watched the highlights I don't actually think it was a sending off (I'll await the replies).

My reasoning is simply that Harvey wouldn't of gotten to the ball had he been allowed to run, which therefore takes away the 'denying a clear goalscoring opportunity' (if that still exists).

Got to say I agree with that as well. Hopefully if Saunders is coached correctly and gets more game time he'll learn the proper channels to run he was certainly going in the wrong direction on this occasion

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:32 pm

D_F_C wrote:Having watched the highlights I don't actually think it was a sending off (I'll await the replies).

My reasoning is simply that Harvey wouldn't of....
here's one reply for you

Wouldn't HAVE
Wouldn't HAVE
Wouldn't HAVE
Wouldn't HAVE
Wouldn't HAVE

sorry - OCD kicking....

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:21 pm

On the highlights there's a defender on the opposite corner of the box. The ref may have thought he could have got there. Thoughts?

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:35 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:On the highlights there's a defender on the opposite corner of the box. The ref may have thought he could have got there. Thoughts?
Just watched again on highlights after it being right in front of me on the day. My opinion has not changed, defo sending off.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:59 pm

I agree it looks a sending off to me as I believe Saunders actually went the right way around the defender and would have got the ball. Because Saunders went that way defender caught in two minds, go for the ball or the man. My view of course but would have made the game interesting if ref had made that decision.
" up the Quakers"

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:08 pm

I'm sure Trevor Oakley has copy and pasted my post into the echo :lol:

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:36 pm

I was in the bus shelter behind the goal on Saturday and having watched the highlights it wasn't evident from that vantage point just how good some of our play was. We played some lovely 1-2s and carved Brackley open through the middle a couple of times which we hadn't been doing to teams - we'd been getting goals from the wings. If we keep this up then we'll be a threat through the middle and from the sides. Also, I didn't realise how good that early chance for Harvey was. Reece Styche may well have put that away. Also, what looked like a missed sitter by Galbraith was anything but on Goal Cam, as the defender at the back post was very close to him and if he's headed it down the defender would probably have protected the goal.
If Mills gets fitter/Caton comes back as good as he was for those 2 games before his injury, then we'll be dangerous on the left, with Thommo we'll be dangerous on the right, and if we can add this play through the middle then I think we'll be hard to contain.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:01 pm

Agreed. The video highlights look better than what we could see from the bus shelter. Caton, for me, is the key. With him on the left it gives us a balanced threat from both flanks. Mills actually was more of a threat than I thought he would be. Not a flying winger like Caton or Thommo but a very tricky customer who linked up well with O’Hanlon (who I rate as one of the best left backs we’ve seen in a Darlo shirt). Sadly I thought Saturday was a missed opportunity by Gillies. We needed him to really step up but again he looked to be playing within himself

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:05 am

Criteria for red card 'denial of an obvious goalscoring opportunity'...
> Possession (did the attacker have possession of the ball)
> Distance (how far from the goal is the attacker)
> Direction (is he going toward or away from the goal)

It doesn't tick the first box so cannot be a red card.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:35 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:I was in the bus shelter behind the goal on Saturday and having watched the highlights it wasn't evident from that vantage point just how good some of our play was. We played some lovely 1-2s and carved Brackley open through the middle a couple of times which we hadn't been doing to teams - we'd been getting goals from the wings. If we keep this up then we'll be a threat through the middle and from the sides. Also, I didn't realise how good that early chance for Harvey was. Reece Styche may well have put that away. Also, what looked like a missed sitter by Galbraith was anything but on Goal Cam, as the defender at the back post was very close to him and if he's headed it down the defender would probably have protected the goal.
If Mills gets fitter/Caton comes back as good as he was for those 2 games before his injury, then we'll be dangerous on the left, with Thommo we'll be dangerous on the right, and if we can add this play through the middle then I think we'll be hard to contain.
I dunno, while he's nearby, their defender doesn't actually challenge for the ball. He really has to score for me.

Agree with others that the 'red card' incident could go either way. They're sometimes do get given, but then i'd maybe be disappointed if one of our defenders walked because of it. Would Harvey have got there? He might have done. We'll never know, i guess.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:05 pm

lo36789 wrote:Criteria for red card 'denial of an obvious goalscoring opportunity'...
> Possession (did the attacker have possession of the ball)
> Distance (how far from the goal is the attacker)
> Direction (is he going toward or away from the goal)

It doesn't tick the first box so cannot be a red card.
:thumbup: