Goalscoring

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

en passant
Team Supported: Darlington

Goalscoring

Post by en passant » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:53 am

Was just considering the other day who had been scoring the goals in our recently won games. When Styche first arrived at the club with his immediate impact in front of goal there were understandable concerns that there was a too great a reliance on him to keep us in the hunt. However, this was much better than what had gone before when scoring had been well nigh impossible. Yet since these early days it is heartening to see how much Styche's momentum has brought belief to others in the side, so much so that it was interesting to note that in our recent winning run that Thommo has taken over as the main scorer, with 5 goals and Syers has chipped in with a brace along with Heaton's first for the club. I hope that this trend can continue and brings others into the scoring frame. I think that a goal for Gillies is long overdue and would certainly help his overall game. Mills also seems to have had a decent goalscoring record elsewhere so a few more goals must be within his capacity as well. And I think we would all like to see Harvey blossom into a genuine goalscoring threat. Belief in the team is certainly much improved and it would be an exciting prospect to see this belief translate into the "we can score goals from any position team" that we were when storming through 3 promotions in 4 years. Survival is certainly still to be achieved but we could be in for some very interesting times if we can keep this momentum rolling.

divas

Re: Goalscoring

Post by divas » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:10 pm

Mainly because Thommo has taken pens off Styche

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:43 pm

I was somewhat cynical when Styche was handed the captaincy, as strikers are rarely made captains. But he has proved me wrong and his fine form has been infectious on others and now we look completely different from the side around a month ago. With others now scoring, it takes the pressure off Styche as defenders now have to defend against multiple threats.

Username

Post by Username » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:23 am

I’m with you Darlo Pete. Especially how short a time he has been at the club. But him and Thommo have really been the driving factors in us doing so well. Everything seems to come through them. I believe the introduction of Syers into the team has allso had a massive impact and I’m sorry to say this but Brown coming out the team since Leamington, no coincidence we look defensively solid now.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:04 pm

divas wrote:Mainly because Thommo has taken pens off Styche
I wonder why that was ;)