Darlington v Curzon Ashton

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington v Curzon Ashton

Post by JE93 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:17 am

Game day tomorrow and a chance to continue or good recent form against a Curzon side who have struggled a little more this season, with their free flowing football, to break teams down.

Judging by today echo Tommy will have an almost full squad to choose from with just Tom Portas, Chris Hunter and Dom Collins continuing their recovery from injury.

Good opportunity for a win to keep ourselvs away from the bottom 3 and also an opportunity to reel in Boston above us as they face a tough trip to York.

The almost full squad starts to give us a bit of a nice selection headache. Especially with Vaulks performing so well on his full debut v Kidderminster. Looking at the options available I'd set us up:

--------------------------- Pears -----------------------------

Trotman --- Heaton --- Galbraith --- O'hanlon

-------------- Turnbull ---- Wheatley ------------------

Thompson ---------- Syers ----------------- Caton

-------------------------- Styche -----------------------------

Subs: Bancroft, Brown, Scott, Mills, Saunders.

Probably slightly harsh on Vaulks but he should be watching Heaton's situation with interest and aspiring to the same next season. Gillies needs to get his act together of face being shipped out in the summer. Hopefully Caton can continue his pre injury form.

One thing that has struck me is the need for a bit of squad rebalancing in the summer. Once those players come back from injury we'll be carrying a lot of defenders/ defensive midfielders in the squad could do with looking to move a couple on in the summer to get in at least another striker.

Emdubya

Re: Darlington v Curzon Ashton

Post by Emdubya » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:44 am

Curzon certainly struggled with their free flowing football when they stuffed York 4-1 a couple of weeks ago :roll:
Don’t kid yourself,this is another tough game.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:48 am

JE93 wrote:Game day tomorrow and a chance to continue or good recent form against a Curzon side who have struggled a little more this season, with their free flowing football, to break teams down.

Judging by today echo Tommy will have an almost full squad to choose from with just Tom Portas, Chris Hunter and Dom Collins continuing their recovery from injury.

Good opportunity for a win to keep ourselvs away from the bottom 3 and also an opportunity to reel in Boston above us as they face a tough trip to York.

The almost full squad starts to give us a bit of a nice selection headache. Especially with Vaulks performing so well on his full debut v Kidderminster. Looking at the options available I'd set us up:

--------------------------- Pears -----------------------------

Trotman --- Heaton --- Galbraith --- O'hanlon

-------------- Turnbull ---- Wheatley ------------------

Thompson ---------- Syers ----------------- Caton

-------------------------- Styche -----------------------------

Subs: Bancroft, Brown, Scott, Mills, Saunders.

Probably slightly harsh on Vaulks but he should be watching Heaton's situation with interest and aspiring to the same next season. Gillies needs to get his act together of face being shipped out in the summer. Hopefully Caton can continue his pre injury form.

One thing that has struck me is the need for a bit of squad rebalancing in the summer. Once those players come back from injury we'll be carrying a lot of defenders/ defensive midfielders in the squad could do with looking to move a couple on in the summer to get in at least another striker.
Vaulks should definitely be on the bench after his last performance as vital cover for central defenders. But I'd go with you're starting 11, as it looks pretty strong.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:02 am

Emdubya wrote:Curzon certainly struggled with their free flowing football when they stuffed York 4-1 a couple of weeks ago :roll:
Don’t kid yourself,this is another tough game.
Agree, their recent form is very good.

Coming up from Mancland for this game, birthday weekend, so dont let me down Darlo!
Last edited by MCFCDarlo3 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:12 am

Curzon have been a bit of a bogey team for us, I certainly don't think we've won at their place. I think this will be a tough game and it will be a good test of our new found confidence.

carlodarlo

Post by carlodarlo » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:14 pm

Think we won 2-1 at their place last season, possibly on a Monday night but overall our record against them wont be good. Shouldn't have lost away to them this season with a last minute goal against us but we are much changed now and I fancy us to pick up another win tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing the new stand extension in use for the first time!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:30 pm

Hope I'm wrong, but think the weather will win this one. Another storm coming tonight dumping several mm of rain.

MCFCDarlo3

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:42 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Hope I'm wrong, but think the weather will win this one. Another storm coming tonight dumping several mm of rain.
Hope youre wrong....light rain but persistent.

Just booked trains and hotel ffs

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:49 pm

Just had a walk around BM and up through South Park. At least the Skerne is not in full spate and underfoot was reasonably firm. There is a bit of sun, 5C up to 12C tomorrow and a breeze which will be drying things out even more. Should be OK, even with light showers, at least no frost forecast for Friday night. We need to treat every game with the same spirit we had with Kidderminster and Leamington. Curzon are no mugs and these teams will also be scrapping for points. Again we need the BM crowd to get behind the team and give the new stand a game to remember for the right reasons! :thumbup:

MCFCDarlo3

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:56 pm

jjljks wrote:Just had a walk around BM and up through South Park. At least the Skerne is not in full spate and underfoot was reasonably firm. There is a bit of sun, 5C up to 12C tomorrow and a breeze which will be drying things out even more. Should be OK, even with light showers, at least no frost forecast for Friday night. We need to treat every game with the same spirit we had with Kidderminster and Leamington. Curzon are no mugs and these teams will also be scrapping for points. Again we need the BM crowd to get behind the team and give the new stand a game to remember for the right reasons! :thumbup:
Thanks......just made me feel a whole lot better!

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:22 pm

anybody know what state the pitch is in after all last weeks snow?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:39 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Hope I'm wrong, but think the weather will win this one. Another storm coming tonight dumping several mm of rain.
I think the rugby clubs pump and our drainage managed to beat worse earlier in the season of you remember.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:55 pm

If you are coming up, even if weather bad there is always the beer festival on in the town with 30 beers on:. I am there now some nice pints:-)

MCFCDarlo3

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:33 pm

50 years wrote:If you are coming up, even if weather bad there is always the beer festival on in the town with 30 beers on:. I am there now some nice pints:-)
Thanks.......thats an excellent Plan B ;)

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:35 pm

A win tomorrow and we could be closer to the playoffs that we are to the relegation zone #justsaying
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:12 pm

I agree, due to start pissing down from 11pm tonight all through till 6pm tomorrow evening...

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:27 pm

AndyPark wrote:
I agree, due to start pissing down from 11pm tonight all through till 6pm tomorrow evening...
We should be looking for a refund on the drainage system if it is off :thumbdown:

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:09 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Looks ok for 9am[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2018030 ... 3577af.jpg[/img][img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2018030 ... 5e3737.jpg[/img][img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2018030 ... a41205.jpg[/img]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:21 pm

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:37 pm

Would be surprised if there isn't a pitch inspection tomorrow. Curzon will want to know by about 10.

MCFCDarlo3

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:07 pm

Emdubya wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
We should be looking for a refund on the drainage system if it is off :thumbdown:
If the reserves play they should :)

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:11 am

Already raining pretty steady. I wouldn't be surprised if a precautionary pitch inspection was organised.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:44 am

Heavy rain overnight, wonder what time the pitch inspection will be, as surely the game must be under threat?

MCFCDarlo3

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:00 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Heavy rain overnight, wonder what time the pitch inspection will be, as surely the game must be under threat?
Jesus wept.......could be an expensive weekend as the ticket machine only gave me one set of pre booked tickets last night and they are now saying I have to pay for another lot and claim it back.I will brush the water off myself when I get up there to get this bloody game on!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:22 am

Rain now seems to be easing off, so hopefully the pitch will be ok.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:28 am

Telford V Spendy is off..Pitch inspection at Sal£ord 9.30am

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:34 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:Telford V Spendy is off..Pitch inspection at Sal£ord 9.30am

That'll make Spennymoor's fixture nightmare even worse.They'll be knackered by the time they play us on Easter Monday.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:37 am

Looking at the rain we've had over night and the forecast for the rest of today I'd be amazed if the game is on.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:30 am

A positive tweet from Craig, he has spoke to the grounds man and he does envisage any problems so hopefully the game is ON

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:37 am

The rain has now stopped completely, so hopefully no more problems for the pitch. It must be positive, when no pitch inspection has been called for.