Darlington v Curzon Ashton

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Curzon Ashton

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:31 pm

We were lucky today as Curzon were the better team but didn't bring their shooting boots.

:clap: :clap: for Mr Syers, he always seems to keep his cool.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:54 pm

Caton tweeted that he had to come off due to 'neural' issues.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:16 pm

JE93 wrote:Game day tomorrow and a chance to continue or good recent form against a Curzon side who have struggled a little more this season, with their free flowing football, to break teams down.

Judging by today echo Tommy will have an almost full squad to choose from with just Tom Portas, Chris Hunter and Dom Collins continuing their recovery from injury.

Good opportunity for a win to keep ourselvs away from the bottom 3 and also an opportunity to reel in Boston above us as they face a tough trip to York.

The almost full squad starts to give us a bit of a nice selection headache. Especially with Vaulks performing so well on his full debut v Kidderminster. Looking at the options available I'd set us up:

--------------------------- Pears -----------------------------

Trotman --- Heaton --- Galbraith --- O'hanlon

-------------- Turnbull ---- Wheatley ------------------

Thompson ---------- Syers ----------------- Caton

-------------------------- Styche -----------------------------

Subs: Bancroft, Brown, Scott, Mills, Saunders.

Probably slightly harsh on Vaulks but he should be watching Heaton's situation with interest and aspiring to the same next season. Gillies needs to get his act together of face being shipped out in the summer. Hopefully Caton can continue his pre injury form.

One thing that has struck me is the need for a bit of squad rebalancing in the summer. Once those players come back from injury we'll be carrying a lot of defenders/ defensive midfielders in the squad could do with looking to move a couple on in the summer to get in at least another striker.
Quite impressed how close you got to the actual starting team, the big surprise was young Mitchell Glover in for Wheatley who I guess was injured as think he was up on the balcony. Glover did well and showed up a few regulars for both ability & effort. Many of the starting team gave Curzon too much space and once we squandered two early chances, they played much better football with Pears & Heaton responsible for keeping us level. Gillies coming on did give more impetus, but no-one could keep possession or seemed prepared to run at their defence. Finally we did attack their box and got a penalty then Thommo blasted it so hard at the keeper, that chance was missed. Curzon spurned several chances before everything did click for us when Gillies whipped in a great free kick that Syers got his head to (made up for an open goal Gillies missed). Great 3points but not pretty to watch, still let's be grateful for what we 'stole'. Hard to figure where the spirit shown against Kidderminster had gone. TW brought on Scott and Mills to see us home. Pears MOTM which summed it up nicely!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:10 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:Was Caton taken off as he was ineffective or is he just not quite match fit yet.
Both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would certainly help if he was actually given the chance to run at defenders. Starved of the ball first half, as was Thompson.

Much better attacking display second half. Did think we looked light in the centre as they packed the midfield and we were constantly outnumbered.

Thought Heaton and Galbraith were immense second half, and Pears was outstanding also. Really hope we can have him here beyond this season.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:21 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:Was Caton taken off as he was ineffective or is he just not quite match fit yet.
Both

Would certainly help if he was actually given the chance to run at defenders. Starved of the ball first half, as was Thompson.

Much better attacking display second half. Did think we looked light in the centre as they packed the midfield and we were constantly outnumbered.

Thought Heaton and Galbraith were immense second half, and Pears was outstanding also. Really hope we can have him here beyond this season.
Incredible considering Galbraith didn't come out the womb playing centre back!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Hapag Loid
Team Supported: Darlington & Shanghai SIPG

Post by Hapag Loid » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:06 am

al_quaker wrote:I don't think anyone, other than Pears, played anywhere near their best, but a win is a win. Couple of months ago we would have loved to be in this position!
Exactly this...as an exile who watches Darlo on the 21st equivalent of Ceefax, I was checking every update through my fingers up until a couple of months ago, knowing what was coming!

We've certainly become a lot more attractive to watch on Twitter of late!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:35 am

Spyman wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
Both

I like Galbraith at centre-half. He is strong, good in the air, decent pace and can step in and make a good pass on our left side.

The only negative I had last year was consistency in that position. A really strong performance could be followed by a really poor one. But this year he seems to have sorted that out and I recall a lot of strong performances from him as of late. Long may it continue as he can make that position his own.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:03 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
Both

I like Galbraith at centre-half. He is strong, good in the air, decent pace and can step in and make a good pass on our left side.

The only negative I had last year was consistency in that position. A really strong performance could be followed by a really poor one. But this year he seems to have sorted that out and I recall a lot of strong performances from him as of late. Long may it continue as he can make that position his own.
Not surprising that by playing in an unfamiliar position regularly he has developed consistency.

Practice makes perfect and all that.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

divas

Post by divas » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:15 am

Galbraith has never really had a fixed position in 5 years here. Signed as a LB but never really felt he was at his best there despite having a great left foot. Had a great season in midfield but again as we progressed didn’t quite have the quality, now looking more and more at home at CB. You’ve got to give the lad credit for continually reinventing himself. 3 divisions higher than when we signed him and doesn’t look out of place

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:41 am

Got away with a win, thought Curzon played really well.

Things looking a lot better now.

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:22 am

Hapag Loid wrote:
al_quaker wrote:I don't think anyone, other than Pears, played anywhere near their best, but a win is a win. Couple of months ago we would have loved to be in this position!
Exactly this...as an exile who watches Darlo on the 21st equivalent of Ceefax, I was checking every update through my fingers up until a couple of months ago, knowing what was coming!

We've certainly become a lot more attractive to watch on Twitter of late!
Get yourself tuned into Darlo Fans Radio on matchdays :thumbup:
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:22 am

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:Got away with a win, thought Curzon played really well.

MCFC, did you make it to the Voodoo lounge for the beer festival?

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:50 am

Think yesterday played out to the kind of script most Curzon fans seem to have been discribing all season. Good in between both boxes. Flanagan again has them playing very good football, but they are lacking the cutting edge infront of goal and the resources to go and get such a player. For all their good possession and nice movement they only tested Pears twice. Once with a good close range save in the first half and then the LB testing Pears in the second.

As for us. Thought we were fairly solid without ever really playing well. Far too many passes not finding their target and too much panic when when Curzon tried to press us higher up the pitch. We do defend fairly narrow and it means we look slightly on the back foot when curzon got the ball wide as quickly as they did. That being said I thought O'hanlon did fairly well against their MotM number 11 while Heaton had a tough game against thier No.9 but again handled himself well and did well not to be dragged into too much of the scuffing that seem to be going on every time the ball was played towards him.

The back 4 were solid. Pears showed his class again making two good saves and making good decisions to punch and when to come and take the ball. Glover gave a decent account of himself but tbh I think it was a tough game for him. They flooded the midfield well and we were often outnumbered in that part of the pitch. There is definitely a good player there. Look forward to seeing him develop and develop the physical side of his game. I do think Wheatley was missed. So good on the ball and wins us a lot of cheap free kicks with his quick feet that releases the pressure and let's us get up the pitch.

Slightly lucky to get the win in the end after missing the penalty but our only really quality move in the game came from a good ball in from Gillies and a great diving header from Syers. Keeps our great run going. And hopefully if we can beat tamworth and north ferriby this week we can be looking at where we want to finish in mid table. rather than still glancing over our shoulders at the relegation battle

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:59 am

Agree. But, through at their place they got away with it.
Much rather have 3 points from a win and a loss than two points for two draws.

MCFCDarlo3

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:09 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:

MCFC, did you make it to the Voodoo lounge for the beer festival?
No, nearly got there but I think it would have finished me off tbh ;)

MCFCDarlo3

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:10 pm

My opinion wrote:

Agree. But, through at their place they got away with it.
Much rather have 3 points from a win and a loss than two points for two draws.
Agree, bit of karma came into play I think.

MCFCDarlo3

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:14 pm

JE93 wrote:Think yesterday played out to the kind of script most Curzon fans seem to have been discribing all season. Good in between both boxes. Flanagan again has them playing very good football, but they are lacking the cutting edge infront of goal and the resources to go and get such a player. For all their good possession and nice movement they only tested Pears twice. Once with a good close range save in the first half and then the LB testing Pears in the second.

As for us. Thought we were fairly solid without ever really playing well. Far too many passes not finding their target and too much panic when when Curzon tried to press us higher up the pitch. We do defend fairly narrow and it means we look slightly on the back foot when curzon got the ball wide as quickly as they did. That being said I thought O'hanlon did fairly well against their MotM number 11 while Heaton had a tough game against thier No.9 but again handled himself well and did well not to be dragged into too much of the scuffing that seem to be going on every time the ball was played towards him.

The back 4 were solid. Pears showed his class again making two good saves and making good decisions to punch and when to come and take the ball. Glover gave a decent account of himself but tbh I think it was a tough game for him. They flooded the midfield well and we were often outnumbered in that part of the pitch. There is definitely a good player there. Look forward to seeing him develop and develop the physical side of his game. I do think Wheatley was missed. So good on the ball and wins us a lot of cheap free kicks with his quick feet that releases the pressure and let's us get up the pitch.

Slightly lucky to get the win in the end after missing the penalty but our only really quality move in the game came from a good ball in from Gillies and a great diving header from Syers. Keeps our great run going. And hopefully if we can beat tamworth and north ferriby this week we can be looking at where we want to finish in mid table. rather than still glancing over our shoulders at the relegation battle
Yes and give the management / backroom a bit of planning time,something they have not really had all season.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:11 am

LoidLucan wrote:That was a fantastic delivery from Gillies for the winner. It looked one of those whipped-in free-kicks into danger zone that are very difficult to defend against. I thought Gillies did very well in general when he came on, he had a lot of energy about him. They were no mugs... one of the better sides I've seen at BM and they'll take points off a fair few teams in the run-in.
Styche took out 2 defenders and Syers took care to make his header unstoppable. Head and shoulders went into his back post lunge.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:15 am

Just seen the highlights, it was a great diving header. Loved in the celebration afterwards how Heaton was one of the first one's to get to the celebrating Syers, with a great big smile on his face.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:26 am

DFR mentioned Turnbull being a bit pedestrian. Hope he is OK and on full gas for the Tamworth game. Thoughts of the next 6 points being in the bag should be dispelled. Tamworth should be the only game to focus on right now. We maybe had some complacency and careless passing in the first half against Curzon.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:28 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Just seen the highlights, it was a great diving header. Loved in the celebration afterwards how Heaton was one of the first one's to get to the celebrating Syers, with a great big smile on his face.
Trademark far post goal from Syers, with a meaty finish to a sublime cross.

Hapag Loid
Team Supported: Darlington & Shanghai SIPG

Post by Hapag Loid » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:45 pm

It looked fairly evenly balanced judging from the highlights alone, I thought - I was under the impression that it was one-way traffic apart from the penalty miss and the goal.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:50 pm

I didn't find Turnbull pedestrian. There was one moment that they said he was jogging as it's in the highlights but perhaps it was a bit harsh.

Whilst I agree that Curzon were the better team (especially the number 11 as someone has already eluded to), but if you watch the highlights, we didn't actually give much away in terms of chances. I think if Curzon's final delivery was there, they would be much closer to the playoffs

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:35 pm

In fairness to Turnbull we were getting a bit over run in the first half in midfield and he was trying to be every where, on that pitch I'm not surprised he may have looked to be jogging at one point.

Tommy stated in his after match interview that we were disjointed in the first half and didn't link up as well as in previous games. We improved in the second half and got the three points that's all that matters at the end of the day.

Now it's a case of Tamworth on Tuesday, come away undefeated and it will be a good result.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:58 pm

D_F_C wrote:I didn't find Turnbull pedestrian. There was one moment that they said he was jogging as it's in the highlights but perhaps it was a bit harsh.

Whilst I agree that Curzon were the better team (especially the number 11 as someone has already eluded to), but if you watch the highlights, we didn't actually give much away in terms of chances. I think if Curzon's final delivery was there, they would be much closer to the playoffs
From the highlights it didnt look as though Turnbull as 100% fit, or had taken a knock in the first half that he was trying to run off maybe - I wonder if it is worth resting him on Tuesday and giving Leon Scott a run out.

On our goal, got to say Curzon's defending was shocking - we had two free men at the back post - but pleased it fell to Syers as he seems decent with his head - even though he was right in front of the goal it was a cracking header back across the keeper.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:04 pm

I thought Turnbull had a decent game.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:08 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I thought Turnbull had a decent game.
He did Pete I despair with some fans cries in the tin shed in the 1 st half God just because we weren't playing that well they were so quick to get on there backs, i had to move to the other end for the 2nd half, we are in a good league playing against a decent well organised passing team but we dug in and got a win, NOT pretty we know but it's up to us to show we can match anyone...
Don't get me going about a few fans on Twitter 4/5 weeks ago saying get rid of Dave Syers, he is a decent intelligent player just because he might of had a couple of bad ish games all players go through that sometimes,look at Tommo Saturday not one of his best but that's football...