Joe Wheatley

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quakerste
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Joe Wheatley

Post by quakerste » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:35 pm

Who let the cat out of the bag. You have got to wait for the big unveiling.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:53 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Possibly someone has been sniffing round Glover, and he has an appearances clause in his contract, so it was worth our while to play him ASAP?
Don't think Glover is on a contract, from my understanding he can't sign one until he is 17 same as Vinny Steels he could just leave.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:10 pm

Something obviously going on behind the scenes with Wheatley as it's not an injury or loss of form.Would not surprise me in the least if you know who has come sniffing again.If I was a gambling man, that's where my money would go.Hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:17 pm

We really need to hang on to Wheatley, until at least the end of the season.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:52 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:We really need to hang on to Wheatley, until at least the end of the season.
Why is he not playing, talk of being rested is obviously a load of rubbish.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:14 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:We really need to hang on to Wheatley, until at least the end of the season.
Why is he not playing, talk of being rested is obviously a load of rubbish.

As mentioned the rumour is York have shown an interest, again no confirmation if true but a fair bit of speculation/rumour.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:23 pm

It may offer full-time football at present but york looks a bit of a toxic place to step into.

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:25 pm

If there is interest from a full-time club and if that has turned his head and he isn't showing the right attitude or performances in training, then he won't get picked. If he isn't getting picked we may as well let him go rather than pay his wage to sit on the bench.

We have Portas not far from returning to fill that gap.

*All of the above is based on as yet unfounded speculation.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:26 pm

That's fine if they have - I mean, they can piss off, and I still wonder why gray left if all he's going to do is poach our players - but why does it stop us from fielding our own players?

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:42 pm

If York are interested in Wheatley, while I'd completely understand the appeal for a young player to return to FT football ASAP, I do wonder if he'd be better served long term developing a little more here in a slightly less pressurised environment before moving on to a club higher up than Conference North (considering York at best are looking like they might get 7th place, I'd not be optimistic if I were a York fan of promotion this season). But I'm sure the appeal of FT football is very strong.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:52 pm

al_quaker wrote:If York are interested in Wheatley, while I'd completely understand the appeal for a young player to return to FT football ASAP, I do wonder if he'd be better served long term developing a little more here in a slightly less pressurised environment before moving on to a club higher up than Conference North (considering York at best are looking like they might get 7th place, I'd not be optimistic if I were a York fan of promotion this season). But I'm sure the appeal of FT football is very strong.
I was wondering something similar. Especially since Wheatley, Heaton and Trotman have been chosen for the V9 academy. In the summer they'll have a chance to play infront of scouts from almost every FL and PL club. I will never begrudge a player moving for FT football but will always want to see the club have been properly compensated for our loss. And for the players listed above I would want a higher price than what we have sold other players for this season. As well as some decent performance and sell on clauses.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:53 pm

With Tom Portas to come back and if Gray is sniffing around,
then let's get a decent fee for him and get rid with a sell on clause.No point keeping him if Gray has unsettled him.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:06 am

There is of course an argument we could charge a premium for him now. Assuming the teams that want him want him in order to ‘secure’ promotion and also if we get past end of this season he’s in the final year of his contract.

I am pretty sure we are safe now with or with out Wheatley I’d say sell at the point we can maximise sale price.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:35 am

Wheatley not playing the last two games I believe has contributed to lack of cohesion and drive from central midfield. Hopefully he will be back in the starting line up on Saturday.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:22 am

Apparently there is information about the absence of Wheatley and Heaton in Stodds piece in the Echo today but as I only read it on line and the site appears to be down I can’t pass it on. :thumbdown:

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:32 am

Emdubya wrote:Apparently there is information about the absence of Wheatley and Heaton in Stodds piece in the Echo today but as I only read it on line and the site appears to be down I can’t pass it on. :thumbdown:
From Stod's piece in the Northern Echo:

"Wheatley has been dropped due to a drop in performance in both matches and training, says Wright, while Heaton had a family engagement that had been booked before last night’s game was rearranged having been postponed ten days ago."
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:46 am

Gray's knocking on the door but probably hasn't got the right amount of money to play with as he's splashed out so much of it already. He'll be hoping for cut-price now he's unsettled things.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:55 am

Emdubya wrote:Apparently there is information about the absence of Wheatley and Heaton in Stodds piece in the Echo today but as I only read it on line and the site appears to be down I can’t pass it on. :thumbdown:
Echo refers to Heaton attending a family engagement which had been booked before the Tamworth game was rearranged, so understandable. Happily Vaulks stepped in & did a good job as evidenced by the clean sheet.

More concerning was Wright's explanation that Wheatley had been left out due to a drop in his performance in previous matches and training. I haven't seen the lad in training, but in his last appearance he did take some of the load off Turnbull. Wheatley is a developing talent so perhaps he needed resting rather than risk getting injured on heavy pitch and damaged. Hopefully his contract has a sell-on clause so DFC may get future income, and there is also the prospect of Portas coming back into the squad. :thumbup:

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:11 am

jjljks wrote:
Echo refers to Heaton attending a family engagement which had been booked before the Tamworth game was rearranged, so understandable. Happily Vaulks stepped in & did a good job as evidenced by the clean sheet.

More concerning was Wright's explanation that Wheatley had been left out due to a drop in his performance in previous matches and training. I haven't seen the lad in training, but in his last appearance he did take some of the load off Turnbull. Wheatley is a developing talent so perhaps he needed resting rather than risk getting injured on heavy pitch and damaged. Hopefully his contract has a sell-on clause so DFC may get future income, and there is also the prospect of Portas coming back into the squad. :thumbup:
So my concerns have been vindicated. This is just my speculation but I think Wright knows he has a couple of good players here in Heaton and Wheatley and maybe offered both of them new deals (to protect the club), Heaton has signed his but Wheatley did not.
In a couple of interviews Wright has mentioned that he knows that there are some players here that are good enough to be professionals but they need to do it on a consistent basis. Looking at Yorks recent results and performances Gray will ultimately come knocking again for some of our players and it wouldn't surprise me if Wheatley is at the top of his list.
Its a shame but I presume the lad wants to go full time and give it a go - should we stand in their way if they want to do that - its a difficult one. Ultimately they may come back in the future - ala the rumours around Beck.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:21 am

Where in Stodds piece are your concerns that Wheatley has turned down a new contract vindicated?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:31 am

I haven't noticed a drop in form of Wheatley in recent games, In fact I believe he has been a key player in our recent resurgence. So it all sounds a bit strange to me.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:34 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
jjljks wrote:

So my concerns have been vindicated. This is just my speculation but I think Wright knows he has a couple of good players here in Heaton and Wheatley and maybe offered both of them new deals (to protect the club), Heaton has signed his but Wheatley did not.
In a couple of interviews Wright has mentioned that he knows that there are some players here that are good enough to be professionals but they need to do it on a consistent basis. Looking at Yorks recent results and performances Gray will ultimately come knocking again for some of our players and it wouldn't surprise me if Wheatley is at the top of his list.
Its a shame but I presume the lad wants to go full time and give it a go - should we stand in their way if they want to do that - its a difficult one. Ultimately they may come back in the future - ala the rumours around Beck.[/quote
What a load of unsubstantiated cack.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:40 am

Got subbed off against Kiddy, where I can't remember him having the best of games (or the worst of games to be fair). I didn't see the previous 2 away matches, so can't comment on them. Obviously few of us see training, so who knows what he's been like there.

It is plausible he has simply been dropped. If it is that, then hopefully he's had the kick up the backside needed and he's back to his best on Saturday. We're a better team when he's in the team and playing well.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:52 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:I haven't noticed a drop in form of Wheatley in recent games, In fact I believe he has been a key player in our recent resurgence. So it all sounds a bit strange to me.
Totally agree Pete, I did not detect a drop in form and it must be other issues that Tommy does not really want to disclose.Not signing a contract and interest from you know who is my guess but he is 18 and will command a fee so let him go, bring some money into the club and get Tom Portas back asap.Gray has said he was knocked back on a signing, would not surprise me if they cannot raise the funds but just my gut feeling.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:06 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:This is just my speculation but I think Wright knows he has a couple of good players here in Heaton and Wheatley and maybe offered both of them new deals (to protect the club), Heaton has signed his but Wheatley did not.
But he is already contracted?

I find it plausible that his head has been turned and Wright it aware that come the first game next season he won't be in the team so given the gap between us and relegation he is experimenting to see if we will stick or twist for next season.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:29 am

jjljks wrote:
Emdubya wrote: Wheatley is a developing talent so perhaps he needed resting rather than risk getting injured on heavy pitch and damaged.
It was a real mudbath there last night :)

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:25 pm

It's understandable that Wheatley wants to get back into full time football but if we do sell him it should, ideally, be to a club in a higher league but NOT to York. We need to make it clear to Gray that he can't keep unsettling our players with the lure of full time and then expect to get them on the cheap. If we have to sell to York we should rip them off in the same way they ripped us off over compensation for Gray.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:05 pm

al_quaker wrote:Got subbed off against Kiddy, where I can't remember him having the best of games (or the worst of games to be fair). I didn't see the previous 2 away matches, so can't comment on them. Obviously few of us see training, so who knows what he's been like there.

It is plausible he has simply been dropped. If it is that, then hopefully he's had the kick up the backside needed and he's back to his best on Saturday. We're a better team when he's in the team and playing well.
So he has been called up for England C and then dropped :lol: :lol: :lol:
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:48 pm

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/ ... ref=twtrec

Off in the summer then I'd imagine

Disappointing he's now seemingly not contracted, which contradicts this http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/l ... _contract/

Shame, but at least we'll be entitled to some compensation

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:05 pm

Bit of a kick up the arse. Think he will be back Saturday. I'm sure AW and TW will have pointed out that even if at the V9 he impresses, the prospective club are sure to talk to his current manager about attitude. Maybe he got a bit ahead of himself.
Tommy does do this psychology thing with the players. In fact, I have no proof for this and it's just my take, but I wonder if TW felt when he arrived he wasn't getting the best out of Thommo and Thommo wasn't giving his all, so he played him at right back to give him back the hunger for playing up front again.