PSV away

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: PSV away

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:11 pm

loan_star wrote:Sounds good but I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks the money would be better used elsewhere. Doing boost the budget but then using money whether its from sponsorship or not to play against a PSV junior team.
I understand the point of view (and the thought had passed my mind, although if I'd typed it out on here, the usuals would have had another chance to have a pop).

In terms of PR it's a decent story, will excite the fanbase and is just something different over the summer (I think playing annual games against Whitby, Gateshead and Boro/Sunderland's U23s each summer can get a little tiresome - with no disrespect to these sides). After all, have many Darlo fans seen the team play on the continent?

But yes, I do see the point about using the money elsewhere. To some outsiders, if we're asking fans to regularly put money in, but then can afford an overseas friendly, it might appear odd.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:42 pm

It seems that PSV used to send a team over here to play against whoever Wright was managing at the time. More sensible in my opinion but I can see why playing it there is quite a coup.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:17 pm

I'd like to think a massive European club would be paying for the little club's expenses.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:21 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:I'd like to think a massive European club would be paying for the little club's expenses.
And I'd like to think that Mr Camelot will sort out my pension fund so that I can afford to go. Which of us has the greater chance of his wish coming true? :roll:

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:57 pm

Would love to make that trip...Cant see Mrs F signing off on letting me head over to Holland in the Summer.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:57 pm

I going to Eindhoven in a couple of weeks time, I’ll have a reccy

windyforce4

Post by windyforce4 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:01 pm

My wedding anniversary that weekend. Conversation as follows " Lets go for a long weekend abroad this year pet. How about Holland for a change "On the Saturday you get yourself off shopping. Think i will do a bit of sight seeing. " Wish me luck......

50 years

Post by 50 years » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:54 pm

I would love this as weekend away. Understand the issue raised about money but would have thought that this would be "extra money" that the club would otherwise not get. Would not be surprised if the players didn't mind putting some money in themselves to have this weekend. I would put a few quid in to help it happen (and yes I have put into this boost the budget whilst my last contribution for last year's btb is still running). Been to a number of european grounds to watch games and never thought I would get to see Darlo over there even if it was only for a friendly:-)
Up the Quakers!

Earl_Lee_Dawes

Post by Earl_Lee_Dawes » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:46 pm

I never thought I would see Darlo win a cup at Wembley, and now a chance to see them play in Europe! Not to be missed.

olrad

Post by olrad » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:13 am

I’m also slightly uncomfortable with reduced budget announcements , boost the budget drives and international friendly aspirations all at the same time . I’d probably still be thinking about going to Holland regardless if it happens . What sort of figures of sponsorship are required to make this trip do able ? And how many darlo fans would be happy to push the boat out and attend ? I was thinking if we could charge a £20 administration/ surcharge/sponsorship fee for all Darlo fans tickets 300 fans = 6 k . I’d feel a bit better about the fact that fans who are wanting to go are contributing to the game happening in the first place ( and for those who think that that’s a bit pricey , perhaps you shouldn’t be thinking of going in the first place )

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:55 am

Fans shouldn’t be forced into paying a fee attend an away game.

I’m sure most would chuck £10 into a bucket though to help pay for players flights and hotels. But no chance should we have to pay some membership fee alongside booking flights and hotels ourselves for the weekend.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:29 am

Is there really a huge appetite to go and see us play PSV's kids?

I mean, don't get me wrong, i'm sure it'd be good for the players, but we're a club on a limited budget, do fans really want to subsidise a friendly? Are we ok with spending a good wedge on it, that could otherwise go in the transfer budget?

Invite them over, absolutely. Jong PSV only play at a stadium the size of Blackwell. I mean, if they do some kind of training camp in Holland, maybe play another game also... maybe i can see the value. But how much would it cost putting players up for that long? Could they all even go / get the time off work? I mean the travel itself probably wouldn't be so bad, if they take a coach on the ferry from Newcastle, but still.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:43 am

No, there is a huge appetite for a weekend on the lash in Holland.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:45 am

Flying to Amsterdam for a night there on the Friday, then train down-to Eindhoven on the Saturday, then back to Amsterdam Sunday night for the flight home.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:48 am

Before we all get carried away, it's not even confirmed! Maybe if it gets to happen we can ask questions about how it's going to be funded? After all it's not "the club" it's our fan owned club.

tezza

Post by tezza » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:35 pm

If it does go ahead on 14th July, you can fly direct from Manchester for around £60 return. Friday out , Sunday return. Unfortunately on the 13th I will be on my way back from Slovakia. May have to consider second option of 17:30 Friday night Ferry Amsterdam, train ..if it goes ahead

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:35 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:No, there is a huge appetite for a weekend on the lash in Holland.
Yeh, worked well last time a bunch of English footy fans went there for that!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:20 pm

You can go and get pissed up in Holland any time, and it doesn't require the club spending a wedge on it.... just sayin....

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:58 pm

H1987 wrote:You can go and get pissed up in Holland any time, and it doesn't require the club spending a wedge on it.... just sayin....
Given the opportunity, how many times will we witness Darlington play in Europe?

Not very many, I wouldn't care if we played an under 16's team.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:32 pm

Booked from Manc with Ryan Air as its gone up £20 to £60 in a week.

If its not on will just do a few games over there and maybe Germany.

Apologies to Darlo Dodger in advance.

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:39 am

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:53 am

H1987 wrote:You can go and get pissed up in Holland any time, and it doesn't require the club spending a wedge on it.... just sayin....

Club statement explains in general terms how it has been funded at little or no cost to the club itself, players and sponsor funding it

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:48 am

And free entrance too! It's a long trip to us against PSV yoof but.....!

Sussex07

Post by Sussex07 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:59 pm

Well my apartment looks nice.Thought i'd book it before the rest of you started browsing.

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:41 pm

Cant be bothered to go to Manchester with the extra costs but there are still seats from DTV with two flights a day to Amsterdam 06.45am & 10.15am return Sunday 09.40pm & 21.35pm. Rail direct to Eindhoven is 1.20mins and costs £16 return.

murtonquaker

Post by murtonquaker » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:29 pm

Convinced Mrs F to go on condition we get the best deal possible...

Where is the best place to look for cheap flights???

Do Ryanair, EasyJet or any of the Low-Budget Airlines fly direct to Eindhoven or would it be better flying to Amsterdam or Rotterdam???

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:40 pm

Just booked mine Durham-Amsterdam out Friday and back Sunday. You can save a bit of money with KLM if you do slightly longer and come back Monday. They tend to sting people on short trips.

@murton
You’ve got the option of DTV, Newcastle and Leeds all on KLM.
Jet2 also have flights available from Leeds out Friday back Sunday at decent times for £130. Flybe are also an option from Doncaster at £130 currently.

You can fly direct to Eindhoven on Ryanair but only from Manchester.
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

murtonquaker

Post by murtonquaker » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:41 pm

quakersam wrote:Just booked mine Durham-Amsterdam out Friday and back Sunday. You can save a bit of money with KLM if you do slightly longer and come back Monday. They tend to sting people on short trips.

@murton
You’ve got the option of DTV, Newcastle and Leeds all on KLM.
Jet2 also have flights available from Leeds out Friday back Sunday at decent times for £130. Flybe are also an option from Doncaster at £130 currently.

You can fly direct to Eindhoven on Ryanair but only from Manchester.
As it is my wedding anniversary the day after the Game, we're going away from the Friday to Monday...

Looking at flights to Schipol, stay in Amsterdam and get the train down to Eindhoven...

I seen some prices, it seems ridiculous that some quotes come back with Flights to Schipol, but would have to goto Ireland (Dublin) and change flights there

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:40 am

Is there a way to get PSV fans on the case to vote for Darlo to try and win this £20,000.
The Dutch are football crazy, anybody who is a twitter nut who could start it off, might work.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:07 am

The best way to travel to Holland is the night boat from Hull but it is very expensive.

Flights are awkward timings, so we'll be driving it via France.

8 hours isn't that bad.