Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

poppyfield
Posts: 1653
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by poppyfield » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:21 am

Hope the lads can shake off them 'cobwebs' and come out on top :thumbup:

update here please.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

PierremontQuaker03
Posts: 1803
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:30 am

Listening to Tommys pre match interview saying the lads have not got much to play for, a couple of defeats in a row and we are right back in it - a win today gets us over the magic 50 points and then we should be safe.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Quakerz
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by Quakerz » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:43 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Listening to Tommys pre match interview saying the lads have not got much to play for, a couple of defeats in a row and we are right back in it - a win today gets us over the magic 50 points and then we should be safe.
We are already safe.

Tamworth and Alfreton have played 2 matches more than us and are 4 and 5 points behind us - AND - are in poor form.

At least 3 clubs will fail to reach 47 points.

We won't lose all of our last 6 matches either.
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlopartisan
Posts: 756
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:01 pm

Lacklustre first half from Darlo giving Boston far to much time, soon found ourselves 2 nil down this got us going pulled one back, going to have to step up a gear in the second half if we want something from this game.

real_darlo_85
Posts: 902
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Newton Aycliffe

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:12 pm

Quakerz wrote:
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Listening to Tommys pre match interview saying the lads have not got much to play for, a couple of defeats in a row and we are right back in it - a win today gets us over the magic 50 points and then we should be safe.
We are already safe.

Tamworth and Alfreton have played 2 matches more than us and are 4 and 5 points behind us - AND - are in poor form.

At least 3 clubs will fail to reach 47 points.

We won't lose all of our last 6 matches either.
Sort of talk that leads to complacency. We are NOT mathematically safe yet and teams behind us are picking up points, a win will probably be enough but it's getting those points before Stockport away!
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Darlopartisan
Posts: 756
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:17 pm

We look like we are not bothered, second to everything

Darlopartisan
Posts: 756
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:24 pm

Turnbull and Gillies off Caton and Mills on

Darlopartisan
Posts: 756
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:53 pm

2 -2

quakerfan
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by quakerfan » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:58 pm

vanarama has finished 1-2

liddle_4_ever
Posts: 858
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:13 am
Team Supported: Darlo
Location: Scotland

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:21 pm

That was awful. How many of the players could say they had a good game today or even that they gave it their all? I felt sorry for those choosing man of the match!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11740
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by Spyman » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:40 pm

So did we get a point or not?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1779
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:45 pm

No. Flash Scores ffed up again.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6128
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by loan_star » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:50 pm

Spyman wrote:So did we get a point or not?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
No.
Darlopartisan wrote:We look like we are not bothered, second to everything
Darlopartisan wrote:2 -2
Were you there or not?

Quakerlad
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:54 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:55 pm

We were shocking today, for me only Heaton, Wheatley and Portas had decent games and seriously need to somehow lose Mills and Caton, they don’t give a stuff!

Poor game from players and management. We just don’t seem to have a plan B when teams close us down and give us no time. Why oh why did Wright not put Heaton up front for last 10 mins and just launch it. Their closing down forced us to play long so put a big guy up there! At one point in injury time Heaton was up the field, looked across at bench and was told to get back. Rank bad management that I,m afraid.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1829
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:13 pm

Quakerlad wrote:We were shocking today, for me only Heaton, Wheatley and Portas had decent games and seriously need to somehow lose Mills and Caton, they don’t give a stuff!

Poor game from players and management. We just don’t seem to have a plan B when teams close us down and give us no time. Why oh why did Wright not put Heaton up front for last 10 mins and just launch it. Their closing down forced us to play long so put a big guy up there! At one point in injury time Heaton was up the field, looked across at bench and was told to get back. Rank bad management that I,m afraid.
Pretty much agree with this and good point regarding Heaton as we hardly got behind their defence once.Never looked like scoring ,pretty toothless upfront and no complaints at all about the result.Best team won on the day but we have had a great set of results and confident we will put it right next week.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

PierremontQuaker03
Posts: 1803
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:22 pm

That was as poor as I've seen for a while - Boston won that battles today and out fought us - we weren't at the races. Felt sorry for Styche he was feeding of scraps and Syers put a shift in to little effect. The first goal was poor - we had chances to clear the ball - but Boston did dominate the first half. Styche showed a bit of quality for the goal, he hit it really well, but felt a bit sorry for their keeper as the ball bounced some height (however that might have been down to the power of the shot).
Thommo showed a few quality touches but was below part today as was Turnbull and Gilles didn't offer much either.
Caton and Mills came on to little effect - not sure where Caton was supposed to be playing but I think he is better on the wing.
For me from the first whistle we weren't up for it today, it seemed like a nothing match for the first 30 mins until they scored. I have to be careful about slagging the boys off as they are part time but we should be beating teams like Boston.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

LoidLucan
Posts: 3047
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:40 pm

One corner and one shot on target over 90 minutes tells its own story.

Quakerz
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by Quakerz » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:55 pm

Quakerz wrote: At least 3 clubs will fail to reach 47 points.

We won't lose all of our last 6 matches either.
Can I take that back?

Play like that and we could easily lose 6 on the bounce!
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by Quakerz » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:03 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:That was as poor as I've seen for a while - Boston won that battles today and out fought us - we weren't at the races. Felt sorry for Styche he was feeding of scraps and Syers put a shift in to little effect. The first goal was poor - we had chances to clear the ball - but Boston did dominate the first half. Styche showed a bit of quality for the goal, he hit it really well, but felt a bit sorry for their keeper as the ball bounced some height (however that might have been down to the power of the shot).
Thommo showed a few quality touches but was below part today as was Turnbull and Gilles didn't offer much either.
Caton and Mills came on to little effect - not sure where Caton was supposed to be playing but I think he is better on the wing.
For me from the first whistle we weren't up for it today, it seemed like a nothing match for the first 30 mins until they scored. I have to be careful about slagging the boys off as they are part time but we should be beating teams like Boston.
First half Styche was so isolated it was unreal. There was a gigantic gap between the midfield and him.

Turnbull had a stinker by his usual standards, and Wheatley just couldn't get going in the first half.

What is it with Turnbull and not passing forwards? There was one point during the first half where Turnbull got the ball and his team mates streamed forward and he started looking sideways and backwards for a pass and all he needed to do was make a simple FORWARD pass. Needless to say he got disposessed.

Mills? There are no words.
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

jjljks
Posts: 1620
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by jjljks » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:28 pm

Had to keep counting that they only had 11 players on the pitch. They were firmer in the tackle, more incisive on the break and looked like they were here for a game. Apart from Heaton, we just were not competing but great from side to side. Boston were laughing all the way at the referee who had lost control within the first 20 minutes, diving / fouling / taking free kicks & throws wherever they fancied. No surprise they took advantage of some sloppy defence and got 2 up before we had even a decent attack on their goal. Styche was isolated and little in the way of supply from Gillies / Turnbull / Syers or Thompson. Could not understand why Styche was drifting out wide all the time, as no-one seemed to support or get behind their defence. Looking at the team sheet and bench, I looked like a strong side but they just failed to work together, resulting in a very poor and baffling performance. It was very 'end of season and nothing to play for'. Shame as it was a 'bring a mate for £8' initiative and any newcomers must have regretted putting down decent money to watch a lacklustre display. Even the subs Caton and Mills changed nothing, in fact only confirmed they have nothing to contribute to the squad. No surprise that Gillies went off, but would have thought several others were ahead of Turnbull in the sub stakes. Collins did get to stretch his legs for Portas, so nice to have the pair of them available for selection again. No room for young Glover against a much more physical and robust Boston. Basically I felt we did nothing to deserve a point, let alone the win. Will have to improve vastly in our approach if we are to give any sort of a game to Spennymoor
:thumbdown:

DARLO333
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by DARLO333 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:39 pm

jjljks wrote:Had to keep counting that they only had 11 players on the pitch.
This has been the case so often this season. It’s often been like watching 11 v 7.

I do think Joe Wheatley looked sharp and showed desire today so he deserves a mention.

liddle_4_ever
Posts: 858
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:13 am
Team Supported: Darlo
Location: Scotland

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:42 pm

DARLO333 wrote:
jjljks wrote:Had to keep counting that they only had 11 players on the pitch.
This has been the case so often this season. It’s often been like watching 11 v 7.

I do think Joe Wheatley looked sharp and showed desire today so he deserves a mention.
Unfortunately we were again carrying Gillies for the majority of the match. It's like having a player sent off.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

al_quaker
Posts: 5405
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by al_quaker » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:02 pm

Very disappointing day - nobody played well, they all looked tired for some reason, and it took us going 2-0 down to wake up - and even then we barely did anything. Looked like they were just playing out the season. And to top it off another disappointing crowd. 50/50 prize was a decent figure at least

On to next week...

m62exile
Posts: 2153
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:11 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by m62exile » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:05 pm

Poor performance. Central midfielders 20 yards too deep all game and neither full back getting forward at all.

Greg Mills looked like he was on a sponsored walk when he came on and left the pitch with his kit immaculately clean. And why don’t we send the keeper forward for set pieces in the 95th minute when we are a goal down to Boston?

Been a great run with some excellent performances but today was very poor.

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1682
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:32 pm

Not quite sure about the "disappointing crowd'. Apart from York who had over 3,500 we were easily next highest and way above Salford who couldn't reach 1,000. Three games in the league above had lower crowds too. We are where we are.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12193
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:12 pm

Terrible performance, although there number 5 should have been sent off in the first half, but the ref bottled it. If Boston had been 3-0 up after that first half, it wouldn't have been an injustice. Second half was pretty equal, but we deserved to lose against a well organised Boston team.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4790
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:04 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:Not quite sure about the "disappointing crowd'. Apart from York who had over 3,500 we were easily next highest and way above Salford who couldn't reach 1,000. Three games in the league above had lower crowds too. We are where we are.
Surely we judge attendances based on our own averages, rather than those around us, particularly as we've budgeted for much higher.

I get what you're saying but if your own attendances drop, you can't say "Oh well it's ok because others are lower."

Surely you say "Why are our own attendances dropping off?"

If Man Utd got 60,000, that's still one of the highest in the country but it would a drop of 20% on their own average attendances.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

quakerste
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:07 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by quakerste » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:50 am

Why should their number 5 have been sent off?

If your referring to the incident with Styche, Styche made a stamping motion towards him initially which you could clearly see from the main stand. Their player reacted stupidly by lashing out, the referee actually took the sensible way out in my opinion.

Somebody actually put the incident on Twitter during the game and you will clearly see it.

al_quaker
Posts: 5405
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by al_quaker » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:15 am

Darlogramps wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:Not quite sure about the "disappointing crowd'. Apart from York who had over 3,500 we were easily next highest and way above Salford who couldn't reach 1,000. Three games in the league above had lower crowds too. We are where we are.
Surely we judge attendances based on our own averages, rather than those around us, particularly as we've budgeted for much higher.

I get what you're saying but if your own attendances drop, you can't say "Oh well it's ok because others are lower."

Surely you say "Why are our own attendances dropping off?"

If Man Utd got 60,000, that's still one of the highest in the country but it would a drop of 20% on their own average attendances.
Yep agreed - I judge our attendances based on our circumstances.

And in the circumstances yesterday - no home game for 3 weeks, we're in decent form, won our lost home game 6-0, under 11s go free, £8 tickets available, and playing against a team people had at least heard of, getting less than 1300 in is, in my opinion, disappointing. Even more so when you take into account the population of Darlington.

It's concerning - if it takes us being in a promotion battle to get anything resembling a decent crowd, then if/when we do get promoted to the conference then we've got almost no chance of ever being able to compete at a level higher than the 6th division.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6128
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by loan_star » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:33 am

1100/1200 crowds used to be the norm years ago for us when we were a lower to mid table division 4 side. Quite why it’s expected that a lower to mid table conference north side should get more is beyond me. If we were pushing for promotion then that would be different. However we have had a season where the majority of it we have been poor. It’s goimg to take more than a decent run at the back end of the season to get people interested.

Post Reply