Liam Marrs

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

PierremontQuaker03
Team Supported: Darlington

Liam Marrs

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon May 07, 2018 6:36 pm

Released.

I am expecting a few others to follow, Caton and Burgess to name a couple
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Vodka_Vic

Re: Liam Marrs

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon May 07, 2018 6:43 pm

Personally I think that will be it if those two go. TW at BPA was saying he really only needed 2, maximum 3 players to strengthen.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon May 07, 2018 7:39 pm

Can’t see them leaving unless they agree to mutually terminate their deals.

Fully expect them to stay and collect another years wages.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Mon May 07, 2018 7:50 pm

With the departures of Marrs, Mills, Scott and Brown the squad now stands at 19, however this includes Bancroft, Vaulks, Glover and Saunders.

You'd have thought Burgess and Caton would like to play regular football, but I do think it'll be difficult to offload both.

I fully expect Hunter to be given a crack at next season, and that would leave question marks over Portas.

Just to go back to my earlier post, after Brown, Scott and Mills departed it was in the Echo that a 'small number' of contracted players weren't in Wright's plans therefore a retained list was being published this week.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Mon May 07, 2018 8:14 pm

AndyPark wrote:Can’t see them leaving unless they agree to mutually terminate their deals.

Fully expect them to stay and collect another years wages.
So does it work like this? Contracted player not wanted by the club, he agrees to cancel his contract so doesn't get paid off, but gets to leave on a free thus (presumably) having a better chance of a club coming in for him. Otherwise he sits tight at DFC, picks up his wages but doesn't get any games, and cos DFC would be looking for a fee there's less likelihood of a club coming in for him.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Tue May 08, 2018 8:38 am

It could work any number of ways.

If a player isn't in a club's plans he could either sit it out and collect his wages for the remainder of is contract. The club could send the player out of loan with the new club paying a percentage or all of his wages (effectively ending his time with the parent club).

Both the club and the player could reach an agreement to end the contract early for an upfront fee to allow him to move to another club on a permanent basis. I am sure a club could even transfer the player to another club with the player getting a fee from the club he's leaving for the difference between the wage he is getting at the new club vs the wage he would have got for staying.

Lots of different ways to work it out, just depends on the player and their situation. Doubtless these will be the conversations that the club will be having with any players who Tommy doesn't feel are in his plans going forward but are still under contract.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue May 08, 2018 9:36 am

Never thought Marrs got a decent run in the side, obviously a good player, who unfortunately didn't to show us his abilities. Good luck Liam wherever you end up.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 08, 2018 9:39 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Never thought Marrs got a decent run in the side, obviously a good player, who unfortunately didn't to show us his abilities. Good luck Liam wherever you end up.
Didn't he play virtually a full season in 16/17?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue May 08, 2018 10:05 am

Yes, yes he did. In a defence that mostly consisted of Brown, Burgess and Galbraith along with himself, which conceded 71 goals, and which was embarassingly torn to shreds in several matches.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

jjlewis1k89

Post by jjlewis1k89 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:10 am

Wonder if we can arrange a deal with Whitby for Burgess, maybe they can have him on a free if they cover the difference in his wages for the last year of his contract.

Can’t really see anyone coming in for Caton so he’ll either sit on the bench all season or mutually terminate his contract and look for a club else where.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:42 am

Never convinced by Marrs and we have a far better player in Trotman

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 08, 2018 10:58 am

jjlewis1k89 wrote:
Can’t really see anyone coming in for Caton so he’ll either sit on the bench all season or mutually terminate his contract and look for a club else where.

Caton showed flashes of being a good player at this level and we do need cover/competition for Gillies and Thompson so I do think he'd prove useful as a squad player if he stays on - but by the sounds of it he's an expensive fringe player and not necessarily a positive influence in the dressing room hence why Wright may want to move him on.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Tue May 08, 2018 11:11 am

Spyman wrote:
jjlewis1k89 wrote:

Caton showed flashes of being a good player at this level and we do need cover/competition for Gillies and Thompson so I do think he'd prove useful as a squad player if he stays on - but by the sounds of it he's an expensive fringe player and not necessarily a positive influence in the dressing room hence why Wright may want to move him on.
More than anything, I think you'll find that Caton doesn't see himself as a fringe player at this level of football and he will not be wanting that scenario.
Last edited by Allan Quatermain on Sat May 12, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 08, 2018 11:17 am

Allan Quatermain wrote:
Spyman wrote:
jjlewis1k89 wrote:

Mote than anything, I think you'll find that Caton doesn't see himself as a fringe player at this level of football and he will not be wanting that scenario.
Ball is in his court then, so to speak. If he's been told he's behind Gillies and Thompson and game time will be limited then he has a choice between agreeing to cancel his contract or proving his worth as a first team player.

DC

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Tue May 08, 2018 12:42 pm

TFDM wrote:It could work any number of ways.

If a player isn't in a club's plans he could either sit it out and collect his wages for the remainder of is contract. The club could send the player out of loan with the new club paying a percentage or all of his wages (effectively ending his time with the parent club).

Both the club and the player could reach an agreement to end the contract early for an upfront fee to allow him to move to another club on a permanent basis. I am sure a club could even transfer the player to another club with the player getting a fee from the club he's leaving for the difference between the wage he is getting at the new club vs the wage he would have got for staying.

Lots of different ways to work it out, just depends on the player and their situation. Doubtless these will be the conversations that the club will be having with any players who Tommy doesn't feel are in his plans going forward but are still under contract.
Thanks, TFDM.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue May 08, 2018 2:34 pm

Marrs could be converted into a midfield ball-winner. He has a good turn of speed and can tackle, just a bit small to play full back and would love to have some help for Turnbull and Wheatley there. IMO Portas is another player who should be in midfield not the back four.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sat May 12, 2018 6:17 pm

Got himself a cup winners' medal today, playing for Dunston in the Brooks Mileson Memorial Cup. They beat Bishops 1-0.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat May 12, 2018 8:32 pm

jjljks wrote:Marrs could be converted into a midfield ball-winner. He has a good turn of speed and can tackle, just a bit small to play full back and would love to have some help for Turnbull and Wheatley there. IMO Portas is another player who should be in midfield not the back four.
The Marrs I have watched the last couple of years didn't have a turn of speed. Solid defender though but not much use in the oppositions half of the field.