Dave Syers

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Mario
Team Supported: Darlington

Dave Syers

Post by Mario » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:15 am

I thought he was brilliant yesterday against FCUM especially in the first half.

Everything that Darlo created seemed to come from Syers.

Also a lot of his hard work and effort goes unnoticed, but it so vital to the team.

An excellent performance from a player who sometimes is undervalued by many.

shawry

Re: Dave Syers

Post by shawry » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:40 pm

Mario wrote:I thought he was brilliant yesterday against FCUM especially in the first half.

Everything that Darlo created seemed to come from Syers.

Also a lot of his hard work and effort goes unnoticed, but it so vital to the team.

An excellent performance from a player who sometimes is undervalued by many.
I'd argue that almost all don't undervalue him at all and understand his value to the team

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:56 pm

His movement off the ball is exceptional for a player at this level.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:06 pm

Beano wrote:His movement off the ball is exceptional for a player at this level.
Probably because he spent his entire career at higher levels. Yet conversely so has Caton but he has struggled to adapt even though its clear he has the technical ability.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:49 pm

Think it's fair to say some people questioned his place in the team earlier in the season.

For me, he should be one of the first names on the team sheet week in, week out.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:05 pm

I think a challenge for Wright will be if he continues to use 4-4-2 with two wingers, if he signs another striker like everyone thinks he should what does he then do with Syers.

Does he drop Syers back into the midfield two and if so who would you drop out Wheatley or Turnbull or does he continue to play Syers in the current position and sign a striker who is happy to be on the bench.

A challenge for Wright to continue to get the best out of Syers which generally seems to be in a central 3/just behind the striker, with some freedom and licence to roam.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:06 pm

I agree, I think the work he puts in, ground he covers and runs he makes into space go unrecognised as he does not do spectacular, just solid good all-around performances. We miss him as a team when not there. First name on the team sheet for me too, (along with a few others of course :) ).

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:01 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:I think a challenge for Wright will be if he continues to use 4-4-2 with two wingers, if he signs another striker like everyone thinks he should what does he then do with Syers.

Does he drop Syers back into the midfield two and if so who would you drop out Wheatley or Turnbull or does he continue to play Syers in the current position and sign a striker who is happy to be on the bench.

A challenge for Wright to continue to get the best out of Syers which generally seems to be in a central 3/just behind the striker, with some freedom and licence to roam.
Got to agree with you there, Les. Syers brings some inventiveness and spontaneity to our play which makes it difficult to defend against. We need to be feeding him more, either from wings or midfield balls through the inside channels. Styche needs to stay more central / closer to the box in order to benefit rather than drifting out wide.
Styche also gets a lot of attention from refs & centre-backs and sometimes needs to be substituted, so would be useful to have a direct 'like for like' player available on the bench. Currently, all we have is Mills or Saunders, neither of whom are 'like for like'. A second striker would also give us a Plan B option if the Plan A isn't working.

Just watched the YouTube highlights of FCUM match and the number of times Syers was mentioned was massive. Styche should have had a hat-trick and Wheatley was unlucky to see his volley hit the post & rebound into the keeper's arms. Good team performance all round. :clap: