You are here: darlofc.co.uk » Board index » The Uncovered Forums » Virtual Feethams
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 4:25 am View unanswered posts | View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Liam Marrs
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Posts: 1525
Team Supported: Darlington
Released.

I am expecting a few others to follow, Caton and Burgess to name a couple

_________________
“Steve Beaton - The adonis of darts, what poise, what elegance - a true roman gladiator with plenty of hair wax.”
R.I.P Sid Waddell


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Liam Marrs
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Posts: 1136
Team Supported: Darlington
Personally I think that will be it if those two go. TW at BPA was saying he really only needed 2, maximum 3 players to strengthen.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Liam Marrs
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Posts: 11007
Location: Darlington
Team Supported: Darlington
Can’t see them leaving unless they agree to mutually terminate their deals.

Fully expect them to stay and collect another years wages.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Liam Marrs
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am
Posts: 103
Team Supported: Darlington
With the departures of Marrs, Mills, Scott and Brown the squad now stands at 19, however this includes Bancroft, Vaulks, Glover and Saunders.

You'd have thought Burgess and Caton would like to play regular football, but I do think it'll be difficult to offload both.

I fully expect Hunter to be given a crack at next season, and that would leave question marks over Portas.

Just to go back to my earlier post, after Brown, Scott and Mills departed it was in the Echo that a 'small number' of contracted players weren't in Wright's plans therefore a retained list was being published this week.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Liam Marrs
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Posts: 327
Team Supported: Darlington
AndyPark wrote:
Can’t see them leaving unless they agree to mutually terminate their deals.

Fully expect them to stay and collect another years wages.

So does it work like this? Contracted player not wanted by the club, he agrees to cancel his contract so doesn't get paid off, but gets to leave on a free thus (presumably) having a better chance of a club coming in for him. Otherwise he sits tight at DFC, picks up his wages but doesn't get any games, and cos DFC would be looking for a fee there's less likelihood of a club coming in for him.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Liam Marrs
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:32 am
Posts: 2043
Team Supported: Darlington
It could work any number of ways.

If a player isn't in a club's plans he could either sit it out and collect his wages for the remainder of is contract. The club could send the player out of loan with the new club paying a percentage or all of his wages (effectively ending his time with the parent club).

Both the club and the player could reach an agreement to end the contract early for an upfront fee to allow him to move to another club on a permanent basis. I am sure a club could even transfer the player to another club with the player getting a fee from the club he's leaving for the difference between the wage he is getting at the new club vs the wage he would have got for staying.

Lots of different ways to work it out, just depends on the player and their situation. Doubtless these will be the conversations that the club will be having with any players who Tommy doesn't feel are in his plans going forward but are still under contract.

_________________
www.twitter.com
Darlington FC on YouTube


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Liam Marrs
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Posts: 10666
Team Supported: Darlington
Never thought Marrs got a decent run in the side, obviously a good player, who unfortunately didn't to show us his abilities. Good luck Liam wherever you end up.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Liam Marrs
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 11291
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Never thought Marrs got a decent run in the side, obviously a good player, who unfortunately didn't to show us his abilities. Good luck Liam wherever you end up.

Didn't he play virtually a full season in 16/17?

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Liam Marrs
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Posts: 20832
Team Supported: Darlington
Yes, yes he did. In a defence that mostly consisted of Brown, Burgess and Galbraith along with himself, which conceded 71 goals, and which was embarassingly torn to shreds in several matches.

_________________
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Liam Marrs
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:40 pm
Posts: 1
Wonder if we can arrange a deal with Whitby for Burgess, maybe they can have him on a free if they cover the difference in his wages for the last year of his contract.

Can’t really see anyone coming in for Caton so he’ll either sit on the bench all season or mutually terminate his contract and look for a club else where.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Liam Marrs
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:17 pm
Posts: 1161
Team Supported: Darlington
Never convinced by Marrs and we have a far better player in Trotman


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Liam Marrs
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 11291
Team Supported: Darlington
jjlewis1k89 wrote:

Can’t really see anyone coming in for Caton so he’ll either sit on the bench all season or mutually terminate his contract and look for a club else where.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Caton showed flashes of being a good player at this level and we do need cover/competition for Gillies and Thompson so I do think he'd prove useful as a squad player if he stays on - but by the sounds of it he's an expensive fringe player and not necessarily a positive influence in the dressing room hence why Wright may want to move him on.

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Liam Marrs
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:01 pm
Posts: 962
Location: Darlington
Team Supported: Darlington
Spyman wrote:
jjlewis1k89 wrote:

Can’t really see anyone coming in for Caton so he’ll either sit on the bench all season or mutually terminate his contract and look for a club else where.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Caton showed flashes of being a good player at this level and we do need cover/competition for Gillies and Thompson so I do think he'd prove useful as a squad player if he stays on - but by the sounds of it he's an expensive fringe player and not necessarily a positive influence in the dressing room hence why Wright may want to move him on.


More than anything, I think you'll find that Caton doesn't see himself as a fringe player at this level of football and he will not be wanting that scenario.

_________________
@tonywaters


Last edited by Allan Quatermain on Sat May 12, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Liam Marrs
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 11291
Team Supported: Darlington
Allan Quatermain wrote:
Spyman wrote:
jjlewis1k89 wrote:

Can’t really see anyone coming in for Caton so he’ll either sit on the bench all season or mutually terminate his contract and look for a club else where.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Caton showed flashes of being a good player at this level and we do need cover/competition for Gillies and Thompson so I do think he'd prove useful as a squad player if he stays on - but by the sounds of it he's an expensive fringe player and not necessarily a positive influence in the dressing room hence why Wright may want to move him on.


Mote than anything, I think you'll find that Caton doesn't see himself as a fringe player at this level of football and he will not be wanting that scenario.

Ball is in his court then, so to speak. If he's been told he's behind Gillies and Thompson and game time will be limited then he has a choice between agreeing to cancel his contract or proving his worth as a first team player.

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Liam Marrs
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Posts: 327
Team Supported: Darlington
TFDM wrote:
It could work any number of ways.

If a player isn't in a club's plans he could either sit it out and collect his wages for the remainder of is contract. The club could send the player out of loan with the new club paying a percentage or all of his wages (effectively ending his time with the parent club).

Both the club and the player could reach an agreement to end the contract early for an upfront fee to allow him to move to another club on a permanent basis. I am sure a club could even transfer the player to another club with the player getting a fee from the club he's leaving for the difference between the wage he is getting at the new club vs the wage he would have got for staying.

Lots of different ways to work it out, just depends on the player and their situation. Doubtless these will be the conversations that the club will be having with any players who Tommy doesn't feel are in his plans going forward but are still under contract.

Thanks, TFDM.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Liam Marrs
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Posts: 881
Team Supported: Darlington
Marrs could be converted into a midfield ball-winner. He has a good turn of speed and can tackle, just a bit small to play full back and would love to have some help for Turnbull and Wheatley there. IMO Portas is another player who should be in midfield not the back four.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Liam Marrs
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Posts: 327
Team Supported: Darlington
Got himself a cup winners' medal today, playing for Dunston in the Brooks Mileson Memorial Cup. They beat Bishops 1-0.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Liam Marrs
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Posts: 5585
Team Supported: Darlington
jjljks wrote:
Marrs could be converted into a midfield ball-winner. He has a good turn of speed and can tackle, just a bit small to play full back and would love to have some help for Turnbull and Wheatley there. IMO Portas is another player who should be in midfield not the back four.


The Marrs I have watched the last couple of years didn't have a turn of speed. Solid defender though but not much use in the oppositions half of the field.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group