Retained List - Official - Caton Transfer Listed

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

PierremontQuaker03
Team Supported: Darlington

Retained List - Official - Caton Transfer Listed

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:50 pm

Retained for 2018-19

Luke TROTMAN

Chris HUNTER

Ben O’HANLON

Terry GALBRAITH

Josh HEATON

Dominic COLLINS

Jack VAULKS

Phil TURNBULL

Josef WHEATLEY

Mitchell GLOVER

David SYERS

Stephen THOMPSON

Josh GILLIES

Reece STYCHE

Harvey SAUNDERS

Invited back for Pre Season

Matthew BANCROFT

Harry GILL

Bradley MONCUR

Jamie O’BRIEN

Transfer Listed

James CATON

Kevin BURGESS

Released

Gary BROWN

Greg MILLS

Leon SCOTT

Tom PORTAS

Liam MARRS

Lee HUME

Dale MILBURN
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Darlopartisan

Re: Retained List - Official - Caton Transfer Listed

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed May 09, 2018 12:59 pm

Looks like we need 3 more players

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed May 09, 2018 1:06 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Retained for 2018-19

Luke TROTMAN

Chris HUNTER

Ben O’HANLON

Terry GALBRAITH

Josh HEATON

Dominic COLLINS

Jack VAULKS

Phil TURNBULL

Josef WHEATLEY

Mitchell GLOVER

David SYERS

Stephen THOMPSON

Josh GILLIES

Reece STYCHE

Harvey SAUNDERS

Invited back for Pre Season

Matthew BANCROFT

Harry GILL

Bradley MONCUR

Jamie O’BRIEN

Transfer Listed

James CATON

Kevin BURGESS

Released

Gary BROWN

Greg MILLS

Leon SCOTT

Tom PORTAS

Liam MARRS

Lee HUME

Dale MILBURN
Yes, 3 players to take the squad up to 18. Keep Bancroft i would think, and another keeper is top priority.

I think if we can get

A good keeper (loan would do)
A striker
A solid, ball winning central midfielder

We will be in good shape. The odd loanee to supplement it would be all well and good. Of course Glover and Saunders are both young and inexperienced right now, so a little competition would be good, as long as it is done within the budget.

That list is a remarkable demonstration of how much MG was allowed to swell the squad to an unacceptable size for a part time club. Quality > Quantity from now on please.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed May 09, 2018 2:20 pm

No great surprises with Caton and Burgess. I'd imagine there'll be interest, but probably not from clubs who will pay them what we are likely to be paying them now. Hopefully something can be sorted out

Pretty much agree with everything Wright has done so far. The remaining squad looks strong with a few additions.

I'd say we are 3 or possibly 4 short

GK and striker are obvious needs. I think we need another wide player to push Thompson and Gillies (presuming Caton moves on). CM we perhaps a little short - Turnbull and Wheatley clear first choice with Glover and Syers backing up (of course Syers could well be starting slightly further up the pitch) isn't a bad position to be in, especially with Glover as highly rated as he is. But Glover has only just turned 17 and Syers is better up the pitch so another CM might be useful.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 09, 2018 2:31 pm

If Caton goes we probably need another wide player to offer some competition/back-up to Thompson and Gillies. If we find a decent striker to keep Styche on his toes then perhaps Saunders becomes an auxillary back-up winger.

Priorities for me:

1. Keeper
2. Centre forward
3. Winger
4. Central midfielder
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed May 09, 2018 6:25 pm

In an ideal world we can move on Burgess and Caton and hold onto Heaton, Wheatley and Trotman for the season.

Ideally I'd like to see a goalkeeper, a winger, and a forward brought in to make a competitive 18 man squad. Then perhaps a couple of kids from those invited back, if they prove good enough.

For a goalkeeper I'd like to see us sign Pears on loan again (doubtful), or Talbot, or Sam Russell - although I personally think he will end up at Spendy.

Defenders - IF (and that's a big if) Collins and Hunter are fully fit - then they and Vaulks provide plenty of competition at the back, so we don't need any defenders at the moment.

Wingers - for me, Ashley Hemmings. What a player he looked against us the other week. 16 goals last season, full of tricks, absolute menace. He's from the midlands so he could take Mills' place in the car share. I'd literally feint if we signed him, there are bound to be loads of interested clubs at this level and the one above. He's always played at a higher level and is clearly too good for the NLN.

Failing Hemmings, how about going again for Chambers who can play up front or out wide? He turned us down before because of the travelling but you never know, things might change, and TW is a fan.

Forwards - for me there are several. Top of my list would be Danny Johnson at Gateshead. In two of his seasons there he scored 15 from 41 and 18 from 40. That makes him proven at a higher level, and I reckon that would translate to 25 goals a season at NLN level. In the Northern League at Guisborough he scored an incredible 66 goals from 65 matches.

Adam Boyes, scored 20 this season but can BPA hold on to him?

Joe Ironside, another from the NE and also scored around 20 this season - although he is probably contracted at Kidderminster, and might be happier there

So my ideal signings (not that we will get any of them) would be Russell, Hemmings, Johnson. I'd also be happy with Pears/Talbot, Chambers, Boyes.

Imagine this match day line up next season...

Russell

Trotman Heaton Galbraith O'Hanlon

Thompson Turnbull Wheatley Hemmings

Styche Johnson

Subs from Syers, Gillies, Hunter, Collins, Vaulks, Glover, Saunders.

That's a top 7 team, easy.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Wed May 09, 2018 6:35 pm

Agree with that Quakerz, would love to be greedy though and add in an attacking midfielder incase Syers gets injured if the budget allows us to go for another player, either Dale Hopson or Jordan Nicholson would be class.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed May 09, 2018 6:44 pm

Hemmings has beeen offered new terms by Boston.
Chambers might want to move now that Nuneaton are up for sale.
Boyes appears to be wanting to stay at BPA, but again, their future is uncertain.
Johnson from Gateshead? Again, a team having a fire sale.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 09, 2018 8:28 pm

ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:Agree with that Quakerz, would love to be greedy though and add in an attacking midfielder incase Syers gets injured if the budget allows us to go for another player, either Dale Hopson or Jordan Nicholson would be class.
I think someone who can play left, right or centre as cover would be best. Thompson and I think Gillies have both played off a striker like Syers does so could always fill in there if we have another to go wide.

If we can fit it into the budget I think another experienced head in central midfield would be nice. If Turnbull is out we basically have two kids in the middle who could get bullied by some teams.

Quakerz, can you get someone to film you fainting if we sign Hemmings?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed May 09, 2018 8:46 pm

Spyman wrote:
ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:Agree with that Quakerz, would love to be greedy though and add in an attacking midfielder incase Syers gets injured if the budget allows us to go for another player, either Dale Hopson or Jordan Nicholson would be class.
I think someone who can play left, right or centre as cover would be best. Thompson and I think Gillies have both played off a striker like Syers does so could always fill in there if we have another to go wide.

If we can fit it into the budget I think another experienced head in central midfield would be nice. If Turnbull is out we basically have two kids in the middle who could get bullied by some teams.

Don't think he will but what if Wright goes 5-3-2 and uses Thompson/Gillies more floating central and the full backs up the wing. I do wonder with the amount of defenders we have if this could be in Wrights thinking.

Also Hemmings would be a good signing but not as prolific as some may think, from his 16 goals, 12 of them were from the penalty spot I believe - so only 4 from open play.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 09, 2018 8:58 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Spyman wrote:

Don't think he will but what if Wright goes 5-3-2 and uses Thompson/Gillies more floating central and the full backs up the wing. I do wonder with the amount of defenders we have if this could be in Wrights thinking.

Also Hemmings would be a good signing but not as prolific as some may think, from his 16 goals, 12 of them were from the penalty spot I believe - so only 4 from open play.
I wonder how many of those penalties he won? If he's as tricky and pacey as Quakerz says then maybe he's winning and converting the penalties, which is as good as scoring in open play.

I hope Wright isn't planning on going back to a back 3/5. It didn't work before, he found a system that seemed to suit the players and it worked pretty well over the latter half of the season. Can't see any sense in moving too far away from that.

DC

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Wed May 09, 2018 9:05 pm

Wright should stick with the 4 at the back as that was one of the main reasons we went that good run, but wouldn’t mind him working a little bit on the back 3/5 set as a plan B as at times I thought we lacked a plan b in some games

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed May 09, 2018 9:09 pm

Are we going to have a plan that plays 4 at the back and 2 up front. There’s no way a top striker is going to come in if we are only playing 1 up top and Styche is our main man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed May 09, 2018 9:30 pm

I think the reason we played 4-5-1 was more down to the lack of available strikers when TW tried to make signings, rather than him only wanting 1 up front.

But to be honest, 4-5-1 is supposed to be 4-3-3 when you're attacking so are we really only playing 1 up front anyway? Thompson gets forward and scores goals, and on the other flank Mills was supposed to do the same but failed.

Also with Syers in an advanced midfield role he got up front quite a lot as well. If we did play 4-4-2, ie with Thompson/Gillies wide and 2 forwards, then there is no room for Syers unless he replaces either Wheatley or Turnbull.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Wed May 09, 2018 9:33 pm

I’ve no idea what TW will want to do formation wise but part of the reason the 3 at the back never worked was down to the chronic lack of confidence we had at the time and the difficulties in trying to change a system half way through a season of with players coming and going.

I’m not saying it’s better or worse than the 4 we ended up with but just saying I don’t think it would be right to dismiss it all together just because it didn’t work last time.

Radar

Post by Radar » Wed May 09, 2018 9:53 pm

York look to be taking advantage of Gatesheads unstable situation by signing some of their experienced players. There are two young players there I think would thrive and develop under Tommy Wright in Kieran Green and Macaulay Langstaff. Also like Wes York who is the fastest player I have seen on a football pitch.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed May 09, 2018 10:03 pm

Or film him feinting.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu May 10, 2018 5:29 am

m62exile wrote:I’ve no idea what TW will want to do formation wise but part of the reason the 3 at the back never worked was down to the chronic lack of confidence we had at the time and the difficulties in trying to change a system half way through a season of with players coming and going.

I’m not saying it’s better or worse than the 4 we ended up with but just saying I don’t think it would be right to dismiss it all together just because it didn’t work last time.
I am not sure that there is a single magic formation for a promotion winning side. We must be able to have several which are flexible enough to beat different teams and adapt to the unexpected (injuries / sendings off). At the same time home fans will want to see attractive flowing football, in order to generate income through increased attendances. Add to that, a defence which keeps clean sheets away from home not to mention whilst remaining within a tight budget. TW does seem to be able to produce plan B rather than the MG patent hoofball and a shrewd operator to bring in key players within our operating limits. All this bodes well for the future if we can keep the positive atmosphere going into 2018/19 - am off to put my bet on for next year :thumbup:

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Thu May 10, 2018 5:35 am

Some posters seem to be forgetting that players at Gateshead are currently full-time professionals and the vast majority will want to stay that way - hence why York City were able to recruit a couple.