Tonight’s game v Northallerton

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Fatty eats roadkill
Team Supported: Darlington

Tonight’s game v Northallerton

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:52 pm

On behalf of restarting hearts in Northallerton, I would like to thank everyone for their generous donations towards defibrillators for Northallerton town centre. It is greatly appreciated and I will post the amount collected when it’s counted. These defibrillators will undoubtably save lives. Once again, thank you from the bottom of our hearts for all your generosity.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Fatty eats roadkill

Re: Tonight’s game v Northallerton

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:36 pm

£350 raised. Thank you everyone for your generosity.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:38 pm

The person who won the raffle donated it to cause,

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:25 pm

1-3 FT as we come back from falling behind in the first 5 minutes. Styche got a headed equaliser just before half-time. Ainge finished from close range early in the second half. Then Hughes scored the best goal with a great shot from outside the box. Thought Hughes had a good game and he played the full 90 minutes.

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:41 pm

Yes he did DP. An amazing gesture :clap:

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:59 pm

Massive thank you to Tommy Wright to allow us to go into the players changing room afterwards.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:53 am

Hughes doesn't look particular like a holding midfielder to me, as he likes to get forward whenever we attacked. But when he did get the ball at the back, his distribution was generally pretty good. He's a big lad, but it was good to see that he has lost some weight since the Sunderland game, as have a few of the other players.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:12 am

Is it possible that we just have two centre midfielders now? Rather than a holding and attacking CM.

Wheatley and Hughes can seemingly both hold their own defensively and are useful in attack. As long as they communicate with each other I don’t see the need to have a dedicated holding midfielder.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:48 am

Tommo looked sharp

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:34 am

lo36789 wrote:Is it possible that we just have two centre midfielders now? Rather than a holding and attacking CM.

Wheatley and Hughes can seemingly both hold their own defensively and are useful in attack. As long as they communicate with each other I don’t see the need to have a dedicated holding midfielder.
We now seem to have Tom Elliot on trial, he could be the holding-midfielder.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:12 am

Enjoyed the game lsat night and pleased the hearts collection went well. For me, after watching us get stretched defensively in the first half a holding midfielder may be a necessity rather than an option. On a positive note Ainge was superb aerially, the new triallist (no 12) looked a real player and we created numerous chances 2nd half. Disappointing to see Collins go off with injury. Gutted for him.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:29 am

Phil Turnbull regularly sitting in front of the back four was one of the reasons why we halted that dreadful run last season and began to stem the flow of goals that were killing us. It gave us a much more solid, tighter look and we'll need that again because it looks to me like a really tough, competitive league. It was the kind of role that we missed in the Motherwell game where we frequently looked very stretched against a mobile side although it was very early in our build-up to the season.

It will be interesting to see how we are minus Heaton and Turnbull who really were two of our key players during the run-in. Of course I'll never know why Turnbull didn't manage 15 goals as well ;)

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:24 am

LoidLucan wrote:Phil Turnbull regularly sitting in front of the back four was one of the reasons why we halted that dreadful run last season and began to stem the flow of goals that were killing us. It gave us a much more solid, tighter look and we'll need that again because it looks to me like a really tough, competitive league. It was the kind of role that we missed in the Motherwell game where we frequently looked very stretched against a mobile side although it was very early in our build-up to the season.

It will be interesting to see how we are minus Heaton and Turnbull who really were two of our key players during the run-in. Of course I'll never know why Turnbull didn't manage 15 goals as well ;)
No, No, No. You can't point out that he was really important to us.

You've got to be bitter at him leaving. Say things like "He was a crab" or "He was past his best" or "he's no loss, he should have scored 25 goals a season."

This pointing out of sensible facts just won't do when it comes to Turnbull.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:00 am

When Collins came off he did not look happy wonder if it’s a recurrence of his long terminjury, defensively I thought we were stretched at times , midfield was ok , the player who impressed me most was Ainge, once we started we started getting a few quality crosses in he looked excellent.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:03 am

Darlopartisan wrote:When Collins came off he did not look happy wonder if it’s a recurrence of his long term injury, defensively I thought we were stretched at times , midfield was ok , the player who impressed me most was Ainge, once we started we started getting a few quality crosses in he looked excellent.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:48 am

Collins had tears in his eyes, so I think maybe his old injury was the culprit, I really hope it's not as bad as it appeared. The lad could do with a bit of luck, seems he just got back to full fitness for this season, I really was hoping he would prove his worth this season after the nightmare of previous 2 seasons gray signed him with an injury and managed his injury with injections which is not a good sign.

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:20 pm

Hughes is more than capable of being a holding midfielder. His weight is a slight concern however he looks technically superb. Extremely good finish for the third goal too.
Craig Liddle is God!!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:04 am

darlo_baron wrote:Hughes is more than capable of being a holding midfielder. His weight is a slight concern however he looks technically superb. Extremely good finish for the third goal too.
With all that weight he should be a great anchor in the middle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC