Phil Turnbull Departs

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlofan97
Team Supported: Darlington

Phil Turnbull Departs

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri May 25, 2018 6:34 pm

Signs for South Shields for an undisclosed fee. Sounds like he asked to leave. Huge blow.

tdk1

Re: Phil Turnbull Departs

Post by tdk1 » Fri May 25, 2018 6:41 pm

That is terrible news, although totally understand his reasons.

But is there a club within 50 miles of us that doesn't have ludicrously deep pockets?

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri May 25, 2018 6:48 pm

Jesus Christ, I didn't expect that at all.

Gutted to lose him as he's a top player.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri May 25, 2018 7:07 pm

Gutted yes, but we need a goal scoring midfielder with Phil and Joe in the middle they contributed very few goals last season, wish him well though
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Fri May 25, 2018 7:10 pm

Really didn’t expect to see this. Wonder if Hughes is his replacement and we go and sign an attacking midfielder (Jordan Nicholson)

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Fri May 25, 2018 7:52 pm

It’s disappointing in that he’s been a good servant. That said he’s not irreplaceable. Good luck to the lad

quakermass

Post by quakermass » Fri May 25, 2018 8:04 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:It’s disappointing in that he’s been a good servant. That said he’s not irreplaceable. Good luck to the lad
Agreed Nick, he’s a very good player but for me didn’t score enough and is replaceable. Tommy knows what he’s doing I’m sure...and there’s plenty of time to bring in some quality replacements. Looking forward to seeing who the centre forward is that Tommy’s got lined up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri May 25, 2018 8:24 pm

Really sorry to see another good player leave but thought last season Phil was lacking a bit of pace and would imagine Tommy has a replacement lined up.We could do with a couple of signings just to lift things a bit tbh.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Fri May 25, 2018 8:34 pm

Lets hope for some news soon as the close season is starting to drag already and I'm coming down with withdrawl symptons.

Beano

Post by Beano » Fri May 25, 2018 8:38 pm

My initial reaction was horror.

However, upon reflection, we’ve received a fee for a 31 year old Conference North player who has been a brilliant servant, but whose best days for us are probably in the past.

As long as he is replaced effectively, it may well be a prudent move.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri May 25, 2018 8:50 pm

quakermass wrote:
grimsbyquaker wrote:It’s disappointing in that he’s been a good servant. That said he’s not irreplaceable. Good luck to the lad
Agreed Nick, he’s a very good player but for me didn’t score enough and is replaceable.

Proof if ever it were needed that some Darlo fans have no idea what they're talking about.

Criticising Turnbull for not scoring enough is like saying Styche doesn't keep enough clean sheets.

Turnbull's role wasn't to score goals. His role in the team was plain for anyone with half a brain cell to see.

This is a big blow for us, despite the people trying to convince themselves otherwise. How we replace Turnbull will be crucial for us now.

What concerns me most is the fact we've lost another leader in the squad, after Brown also went.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Fri May 25, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

divas

Post by divas » Fri May 25, 2018 8:56 pm

We’ve lost a fair few leaders in Brown, Turnbull and Scott. Big characters to replace

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri May 25, 2018 8:59 pm

Plenty of time for TW to stamp his mark with new signings.

No need to panic... yet.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri May 25, 2018 9:55 pm

Phil has been our pivotal player for the last few seasons and instrumental in our rise from the ashes. Doubtless he will be difficult to replace, particularly if Wheatley leaves following the Vardy Academy event. At least it seems to be his choice and we get some cash to spend on his replacement.
Thanks for your efforts & all the best with South Shields. :clap:

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:01 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
quakermass wrote:
Agreed Nick, he’s a very good player but for me didn’t score enough and is replaceable.

Proof if ever it were needed that some Darlo fans have no idea what they're talking about.

Criticising Turnbull for not scoring enough is like saying Styche doesn't keep enough clean sheets.

Turnbull's role wasn't to score goals. His role in the team was plain for anyone with half a brain cell to see.

This is a big blow for us, despite the people trying to convince themselves otherwise. How we replace Turnbull will be crucial for us now.

What concerns me most is the fact we've lost another leader in the squad, after Brown also went.
Yeah, he was our carrick equivalent. Controlled the game from deep, always incredibly tidy on the ball. He'll be playing til he's 37, no chance he's on the way down yet.

Big loss.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri May 25, 2018 10:10 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Turnbull's role wasn't to score goals. His role in the team was plain for anyone with half a brain cell to see.
Agreed, he knew his brief and stuck to it well - and he'll take some replacing. However, if he asked to leave then I don't see what choice we've had - we don't want players who would rather be elsewhere, no matter who they are.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:36 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
quakermass wrote:

Grampsy, this board is all about opinions, you have yours, others have theirs, why not say that you disagree with a particular comment rather than resorting that they don't know what they are talking about.Yes it's a shock that Turnbull has opted for S Shields over us but we have to trust TW that he has made the right decision for a fee of £8k.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri May 25, 2018 10:49 pm

Turnbull was not in the side to score goals. Therefore criticising him for not scoring enough goals is bullshit. Anyone saying otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

As such, Quakermass doesn't know what he's/she's talking about. He/she hasn't even explained why he thinks that. It just comes across that he's/she's bitter at Turnbull leaving, so wants to make a subtle dig.

Nothing to do with opinions. It's a cold hard fact that Turnbull's job wasn't to score goals. I seriously can't believe anyone is trying to argue otherwise.

It's like me saying Aynsley Pears didn't make enough runs from full back last season.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Fri May 25, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Fri May 25, 2018 11:03 pm

Whilst scoring goals isn’t Turnbull’s game, you’d be lucky to get three goals in a season from him and Wheatley in the centre midfield, that’s a problem.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri May 25, 2018 11:12 pm

CrazyDarlo wrote:Whilst scoring goals isn’t Turnbull’s game, you’d be lucky to get three goals in a season from him and Wheatley in the centre midfield, that’s a problem.
No it's not. It only becomes a problem if the people you pay to score goals (I.e. Styche, Thompson et al) don't score them.

If Turnbull hadn't scored any goals in his three seasons here, I'd have been fine with that, so long as he was doing his own job exceptionally (which more often than not, he did).

If you want goalscoring central midfielders, sign goalscoring central midfielders. But don't pretend Turnbull is something he isn't.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Fri May 25, 2018 11:27 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
CrazyDarlo wrote:Whilst scoring goals isn’t Turnbull’s game, you’d be lucky to get three goals in a season from him and Wheatley in the centre midfield, that’s a problem.
No it's not. It only becomes a problem if the people you pay to score goals (I.e. Styche, Thompson et al) don't score them.

If Turnbull hadn't scored any goals in his three seasons here, I'd have been fine with that, so long as he was doing his own job exceptionally (which more often than not, he did).

If you want goalscoring central midfielders, sign goalscoring central midfielders. But don't pretend Turnbull is something he isn't.
You can’t rely on Styche or Thompson to score every week, you need goals coming from all over the pitch, we had that through all our promotions under Gray.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri May 25, 2018 11:40 pm

CrazyDarlo wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

You can’t rely on Styche or Thompson to score every week.
Styche, Thompson, Gillies, Syers. Plenty of goal threat there. Most sides cope with four or five main attacking threats.

After all, we performed well from mid-January onwards with those four being our main threat.

Styche of course was the primary threat and I always said we needed more support for him. But I'd rather sign an additional striker than weaken our defensive midfield.

Asking someone like Turnbull to be more attacking A) isn't his game and B) risks making our defence more vulnerable.

piggy

Post by piggy » Fri May 25, 2018 11:48 pm

Gutted to see PT leave. He helps make us tick. As another poster has said if he has no bad luck with injury he should comfortably play into his mid thirties.

Read a few comments about less travelling, although Im not too sure of the difference between the Evo Stik and Conf north, would still be a few long commutes?
Good luck to him anyway, I imagine South Shields are paying him better wages than us.
Over to you Tommy....

Blackwell64

Post by Blackwell64 » Sat May 26, 2018 1:34 am

Have to completely agree with gramps. Turnbull was and always has been someone who has been a conductor from the back of our midfield. Both him and Wheatley are not our attacking threats, but do allow our wingers, and forward players to bomb forward more often than not. So simply saying he didn’t score enough... makes.... well not an awful lot of sense since that wasn’t his job. E.g. carrick scored 17 goals in 316 appearances for Manchester United, to say he would be replaceable because he doesn’t score enough.... shakes head*

Ultimately Turnbull was physically declining, which could be evidenced by the increasing need for a physical player alongside him, but his on field intelligence more than compensated for it, and a player of that intelligence will not come cheap wage wise when we come to replace them.

Due to verbiage of all that’s been said it doesn’t look like this was planned, so ultimately Tommy will not have anyone specifically lined up as its come out of nowhere. It does worry me that if Wheatley gets snapped up during the summer, the first few months of the season could be rocky with a new/makeshift central midfield partnership, hope it doesn’t end up like that though. Maybe Tommy has looked at a few options anyway in CM as a precaution in case Wheatley leaves anyway.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat May 26, 2018 7:18 am

Goes without saying he is a loss if not replaced - he is not however irreplaceable.

I didn’t think Turnbull played as much last year compared to the previous seasons?

quakermass

Post by quakermass » Sat May 26, 2018 7:21 am

Darlogramps wrote:Turnbull was not in the side to score goals. Therefore criticising him for not scoring enough goals is bullshit. Anyone saying otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

As such, Quakermass doesn't know what he's/she's talking about. He/she hasn't even explained why he thinks that. It just comes across that he's/she's bitter at Turnbull leaving, so wants to make a subtle dig.

Nothing to do with opinions. It's a cold hard fact that Turnbull's job wasn't to score goals. I seriously can't believe anyone is trying to argue otherwise.

It's like me saying Aynsley Pears didn't make enough runs from full back last season.
Image pour a glass of wine and chill out..life’s too short! I bet you’re a barrel of laughs down the pub.
It’s too early for any flapping and I’m sure Tommy is speaking to plenty of decent replacements. Turnbull has been superb in his time with us but he’s not irreplaceable.
We do need more strong characters brought in without a doubt...but let’s judge things come back end of July.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat May 26, 2018 7:36 am

quakermass wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Turnbull was not in the side to score goals. Therefore criticising him for not scoring enough goals is bullshit. Anyone saying otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

Image pour a glass of wine and chill out..life’s too short! I bet you’re a barrel of laughs down the pub.
It’s too early for any flapping and I’m sure Tommy is speaking to plenty of decent replacements. Turnbull has been superb in his time with us but he’s not irreplaceable.
We do need more strong characters brought in without a doubt...but let’s judge things come back end of July.

Well responded Quakermass, got to fight your corner with Grampsy, as I said this board is all about opinions and his replies at times are over the top and uncalled for.C'mon Gramps let's have a smile.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sat May 26, 2018 8:10 am

Hope that he isn't going to encourage others to jump ship.

He carried out his deep playmaker role very well for us, but we may need an adjustment in midfield now, because players with his skill set don't grow on trees.

Hughes should give us a bit more muscle, height and goal attempts and Glover could thrive if he can continue to overcome the more robust stuff week on week.

Wouldn't want to see a winger going into a central role, so we now need an extra central midfielder and there could be a number of "adequate" but "enthusiastic" midfielders available.

I hope Tommy wont be scraping the barrel, like old Darlo, with the risk of signing poor late "cast off" journeymen.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat May 26, 2018 8:37 am

I think South Shields will be strengthened considerably with the addition of the three good players they have signed from us and I'm sure the joint managers there are delighted to snap up players who know what's required to win promotion to National North. I can quite easily see them going up. I'm not sure we would have been able to take a contracted lynchpin from their side in the way they have taken Turnbull from us, especially if the suggested figure is right.

I'm not saying it's the whole story but maybe losing the captaincy here was also one of many factors, including of course money and the ambitions and financial resources at his home-town club. Turnbull will have been offered a very good, long-term contract. South Shields are well resourced and the two managers there have just signed five-year contracts. They plan eventually to end up in the Football League and have a rich benefactor committed to help achieve that. It will have helped Turnbull in making the decision that Gary Brown is there too, especially after they worked together here as caretaker managers for a time. Turnbull probably felt the time was right and everything fell into place.

I just hope we don't get them in the first round of either of the cup competitions because you just know.... :shock:

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat May 26, 2018 8:44 am

Let's not forget that South Shields dicked us 3-0 on our own patch - and it could have been 6.

Turnbull that day was a disgrace.

I do appreciate that he's been a good player for us though over the years but not as good or as influential as many reckon. He's a decent conference north player at this stage of his career, no more, no less, and is completely incapable of putting a forward pass in.

I'm pretty "meh" about all of this. Good signing for Shields for that level I suppose, but we can replace him.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017