Phil Turnbull Departs

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Vodka_Vic
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Phil Turnbull Departs

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat May 26, 2018 8:53 am

When we sign a striker, would that signal a,slight change in tactics/formation now that Turnbull has gone? In centre mid we would have the new lad and Wheatley. Could Syers now play centre-mid with Glover as cover? In that case Syers/new lad would be his Turnbull's replacement.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat May 26, 2018 8:56 am

The real disgrace against S Shields that day was MG. He set us up like a pub side's reserve team but, as we now know, by that stage he already had a job sorted elsewhere and didn't really give a monkey's about what was going on here. He'd lost all interest in us.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat May 26, 2018 9:01 am

There was a few times last season where Turnbull got the ball and his team mates streamed forward looking to start a counter attack, only for Turnbull to dither on the ball and go for a sideways or back pass, sometimes losing the ball, other times completing the crablike movement, but generally killing our momentum at that point.

Of course no player is perfect and all players make mistakes - some may think I'm singling him out here, but what I'm saying is that some Darlo fans are going on about him as if he's world class.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

offside

Post by offside » Sat May 26, 2018 9:16 am

Quakerz wrote:Let's not forget that South Shields dicked us 3-0 on our own patch - and it could have been 6.

Turnbull that day was a disgrace.

I do appreciate that he's been a good player for us though over the years but not as good or as influential as many reckon. He's a decent conference north player at this stage of his career, no more, no less, and is completely incapable of putting a forward pass in.

I'm pretty "meh" about all of this. Good signing for Shields for that level I suppose, but we can replace him.
Turnbull might of been a disgrace but u could of named practically everyone that day of being a disgrace

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat May 26, 2018 9:19 am

quakermass wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Turnbull was not in the side to score goals. Therefore criticising him for not scoring enough goals is bullshit. Anyone saying otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

As such, Quakermass doesn't know what he's/she's talking about. He/she hasn't even explained why he thinks that. It just comes across that he's/she's bitter at Turnbull leaving, so wants to make a subtle dig.

Nothing to do with opinions. It's a cold hard fact that Turnbull's job wasn't to score goals. I seriously can't believe anyone is trying to argue otherwise.

It's like me saying Aynsley Pears didn't make enough runs from full back last season.
Image pour a glass of wine and chill out..life’s too short! I bet you’re a barrel of laughs down the pub.
It’s too early for any flapping and I’m sure Tommy is speaking to plenty of decent replacements. Turnbull has been superb in his time with us but he’s not irreplaceable.
We do need more strong characters brought in without a doubt...but let’s judge things come back end of July.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No player is irreplaceable.

But it was fairly clear what I was taking issue with - the idea of you criticising Turnbull for not scoring enough goals.

Amazingly, that's the thing you've avoided completely in your non-sequitur of a response.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:21 am

Quakerz wrote:There was a few times last season where Turnbull got the ball and his team mates streamed forward looking to start a counter attack, only for Turnbull to dither on the ball and go for a sideways or back pass, sometimes losing the ball, other times completing the crablike movement, but generally killing our momentum at that point.

Of course no player is perfect and all players make mistakes - some may think I'm singling him out here, but what I'm saying is that some Darlo fans are going on about him as if he's world class.
Good post Quakerz, it certainly isn't the end of the world now Phil has departed for the sleeping giant that is S Shields.Also think he had lost a yard of pace and sometimes we got exposed a bit in midfield but let's see who Tommy sees as a replacement.Lucan made a good point when he lost the captaincy and went off the boil a bit but a great lad and wish him all the best.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat May 26, 2018 9:22 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
quakermass wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Turnbull was not in the side to score goals. Therefore criticising him for not scoring enough goals is bullshit. Anyone saying otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

As such, Quakermass doesn't know what he's/she's talking about. He/she hasn't even explained why he thinks that. It just comes across that he's/she's bitter at Turnbull leaving, so wants to make a subtle dig.

Nothing to do with opinions. It's a cold hard fact that Turnbull's job wasn't to score goals. I seriously can't believe anyone is trying to argue otherwise.

It's like me saying Aynsley Pears didn't make enough runs from full back last season.
Image pour a glass of wine and chill out..life’s too short! I bet you’re a barrel of laughs down the pub.
It’s too early for any flapping and I’m sure Tommy is speaking to plenty of decent replacements. Turnbull has been superb in his time with us but he’s not irreplaceable.
We do need more strong characters brought in without a doubt...but let’s judge things come back end of July.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well responded Quakermass, got to fight your corner with Grampsy, as I said this board is all about opinions and his replies at times are over the top and uncalled for.C'mon Gramps let's have a smile.

Turnbull is not in the side to score goals. That is not an opinion, it is a fact.

Therefore to say he's not scoring enough is ridiculous and nonsensical. Moreover it tells me Quakermass doesn't know what he's/she's talking about.

Amazing how both of you are resorting to having digs at me personally, rather than defend your own assertions.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:36 am

Grampsy, we know Phil Turnbull is a defensive midfielder "and not in the side to score goals" but nevertheless should still have chipped in with the odd goal or two over a season. How many did he score in the 3 years, would love to know.Because he is recognised as a defensive midfielder does not stop him scoring 3 or 4 over a season.Having said that, he was a very good player for us.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat May 26, 2018 9:39 am

offside wrote:
Quakerz wrote:Let's not forget that South Shields dicked us 3-0 on our own patch - and it could have been 6.

Turnbull that day was a disgrace.

I do appreciate that he's been a good player for us though over the years but not as good or as influential as many reckon. He's a decent conference north player at this stage of his career, no more, no less, and is completely incapable of putting a forward pass in.

I'm pretty "meh" about all of this. Good signing for Shields for that level I suppose, but we can replace him.
Turnbull might of been a disgrace but u could of named practically everyone that day of being a disgrace
True, but not practically everyone left the club yesterday to howls of anguish.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sat May 26, 2018 10:20 am

A blind man on a galloping horse could have seen this one coming with family and work circumstances. He’s been a really good servant for us and I wish him well.

A regrettable loss but then again I’m sure Phil would have been at the top end of the wage spectrum so may give us some flexibility with the squad.

He was our best player in the Evo Stik but I don’t think it’s a devastating loss based on last season. With a full time job and a baby on the way I’d have done the same, good luck to him.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat May 26, 2018 10:42 am

To paraphrase the late great Bill Shankley, if he is not there to score goals then why is he on the pitch?

As someone pointed out, our best season was when almost everyone on the team was scoring goals. It gives the opposition defence a headache when lots of different players are capable of scoring. Just hope TW is able to find a suitable replacement before preseason training so we can sort out tactics and develop a team who can play attractive football.

bga

Post by bga » Sat May 26, 2018 10:52 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:There was a few times last season where Turnbull got the ball and his team mates streamed forward looking to start a counter attack, only for Turnbull to dither on the ball and go for a sideways or back pass, sometimes losing the ball, other times completing the crablike movement, but generally killing our momentum at that point.

Good post Quakerz, it certainly isn't the end of the world now Phil has departed for the sleeping giant that is S Shields.Also think he had lost a yard of pace and sometimes we got exposed a bit in midfield but let's see who Tommy sees as a replacement.Lucan made a good point when he lost the captaincy and went off the boil a bit but a great lad and wish him all the best.

I agree with both these posts. The thing that pissed me off most about Turnbull w
Sent from my XT1032 using T apatalk
I agree with both these posts. The thing that pissed me off most about Turnbull was he never made a tackle did he? Now we can debate till the cows come home his role in midfield but every player surely needs to make at least one tackle in each match he bottled out too often for me.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:06 am

Had Turnbull signed a new deal recently or was he one of those players that had been given 2 year deals by Gray last season?
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat May 26, 2018 11:09 am

Not quite sure why we have to be slagging him off for whatever reason. He has been a good player for us, just as Brown, Hunter and Scott were, but things move on. Turnbull had his faults but in general was a very good player for us and I am thankful for the part he played in our rise up the leagues. Now its up to Wright to find a suitable replacement.
By the way, I believe he scored once for us and there was another that took a big deflection on its way in so was credited as an own goal.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat May 26, 2018 11:10 am

Our best player over last 3 seasons by a country mile and very difficult to replace. To say he didn’t make tackles or score goals is crazy talk. My bet is that he covered more ground and closed down more play than any other player.
Just ask the current players who they would least like to lose and I bet you he would come out on top.
Bit worried that we are losing some great characters and players who gave nothing less than 110% every game.

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:22 am

LoidLucan wrote:The real disgrace against S Shields that day was MG. He set us up like a pub side's reserve team but, as we now know, by that stage he already had a job sorted elsewhere and didn't really give a monkey's about what was going on here. He'd lost all interest in us.
Find it very fitting that our form completely tanked the second we left Bootham Crescent

bga

Post by bga » Sat May 26, 2018 11:24 am

Quakerlad wrote:Our best player over last 3 seasons by a country mile and very difficult to replace. To say he didn’t make tackles or score goals is crazy talk. My bet is that he covered more ground and closed down more play than any other player.
Just ask the current players who they would least like to lose and I bet you he would come out on top.
Bit worried that we are losing some great characters and players who gave nothing less than 110% every game.
Got to disagree with you about the amount of ground he covered, he lost pace in last 2 seasons in my view, and as a result covered less ground and was exposed. I am not for one minute suggesting he has not been a loyal servant to us, especially when MG departed, but just don't think he was as good over the last 2 seasons as some have suggested. I genuinely wish him well.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat May 26, 2018 12:03 pm

For some reason I imagined that Turnbull was one of the players who apparently refused to shake Gray's hand when he turned up at a Darlo training session saying his goodbyes.

Anyway, if P.T. wants to be away, then it's best for him and best for us that he is.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat May 26, 2018 12:45 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Grampsy, we know Phil Turnbull is a defensive midfielder "and not in the side to score goals" but nevertheless should still have chipped in with the odd goal or two over a season. How many did he score in the 3 years, would love to know.Because he is recognised as a defensive midfielder does not stop him scoring 3 or 4 over a season.Having said that, he was a very good player for us.

I'm sorry- I do not care about the number of goals he scored. It wasn't his job, and those who needed to score more often than not did.

As I said, you just seem to be bitter and having a dig because you struggle to deal with him leaving us for elsewhere.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat May 26, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat May 26, 2018 12:46 pm

bga wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

I agree with both these posts. The thing that pissed me off most about Turnbull w
I agree with both these posts. The thing that pissed me off most about Turnbull was he never made a tackle did he? Now we can debate till the cows come home his role in midfield but every player surely needs to make at least one tackle in each match he bottled out too often for me.
I disagree with this. It's good if he's not having to make a tackle because it shows he's breaking the play up and we're forcing the opponents into mistakes.

Pretty sure it was Xabi Alonso who said that if he needed to make tackles, something else had gone wrong further up the pitch.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat May 26, 2018 12:49 pm

loan_star wrote:Not quite sure why we have to be slagging him off for whatever reason. He has been a good player for us, just as Brown, Hunter and Scott were, but things move on. Turnbull had his faults but in general was a very good player for us and I am thankful for the part he played in our rise up the leagues. Now its up to Wright to find a suitable replacement.
By the way, I believe he scored once for us and there was another that took a big deflection on its way in so was credited as an own goal.
Yeah but he didn't get 10 a season, so was obviously s***.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat May 26, 2018 1:21 pm

TW dabbled with putting Turnbull on the bench which was a mistake. Placing him in a permanent position sitting in front of a back four helped to make us more solid and provided the foundations for us getting a good run together. I think as a holding/defensive midfielder Turnbull is a decent turn at this level. It will be interesting to see how TW pieces things together now that there has been these departures. At least we have done our bit as fans to back him in the transfer market.

bga

Post by bga » Sat May 26, 2018 1:26 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
bga wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

I disagree with this. It's good if he's not having to make a tackle because it shows he's breaking the play up and we're forcing the opponents into mistakes.

Pretty sure it was Xabi Alonso who said that if he needed to make tackles, something else had gone wrong further up the pitch.
Maybe we are talking about slightly different phases of play Gramps? My point was not making tackles (any?) when he needed to as a defensive Midfielder, hence opposition players sailing past him with the ball.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat May 26, 2018 2:24 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:Not quite sure why we have to be slagging him off for whatever reason. He has been a good player for us, just as Brown, Hunter and Scott were, but things move on. Turnbull had his faults but in general was a very good player for us and I am thankful for the part he played in our rise up the leagues. Now its up to Wright to find a suitable replacement.
Yeah but he didn't get 10 a season, so was obviously s***.
Also didn't run around as much as Portas.

Strange, the very different reactions to Portas' departure and Turnbull's.

Turnbull was undoubtedly a better player and played more of a role in the side over the last few years but his departure seems to have been met with more apathy/bitterness than that of Portas, who has been a fringe player for some time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat May 26, 2018 2:47 pm

Players come and go - you can't blame players for leaving if a better offer comes in - that's how football works and I'm sure that most of us would do the same if we had the chance.

As long as dealings are fair and open (M.G. cough) then what's the problem?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat May 26, 2018 2:55 pm

Really hope the lads that have left recently have great futures going forward except when they play us.Some great characters there and hopefully the ones Tommy brings in are similar to these.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sat May 26, 2018 4:31 pm

Gramps, I don’t always agree with you and sometimes I do think you can be a little forceful with your comments, but I must say you’ve been remarkedly restrained on this thread. For others to even come up with the argument that Turnbull didn’t score enough goals is utter stupidity. Claude Makelele probably the best defensive midfielder in premiership history scored a whopping 2 goals in this Chelsea career, 0 for Real Madrid and 1 for PSG.

On Turnbulls actual departure I’m gutted he’s gone. I understand no player is irreplaceable, but it’s going to be difficult. Invariably when Turnbull played badly the team played badly, when he played well so did the team. In my opinion he’s been our best player over the last few seasons. As with everyone at this level he had dips in form, but he will be a big miss and I would guess there will be a lot of managers in our league who will happy we’ve lost him.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat May 26, 2018 4:53 pm

It's dissapointing to lose a player of his quality. He has been a main stay in the side for the last 3 seasons, and if the 8k rumoured is the fee I think that's a bit disappointing in the current circumstances and Sheilds being so well backed.

Can't underestimate how important he was both on the pitch and off it. He is the first player we have lost in the closed season that actually needs to be replaced.

Looking at our starting 11 now think looked something like. Obviously players have pre season to prove themselves.

--------------------------- ??????? ---------------------------

Trotman --- Heaton ----- Galbraith ---- O'hanlon

------------------ ??????? --- Wheatley --------------------

Thompson ---------- Syers-------------------- Gillies

--------------------------- Styche ----------------------------

Subs: ???? (Yth Keeper), Collins, Hughes, ???? (Striker), Glover.

In addition we still have to try and move on Burgess and Caton. Don't think we have any hope of flogging Caton. And I think Burgess is In danger of ruining his legacy of evo stop prem winning captain. I know the contract he was given was Grays fault but he seems quite happy to sit on a salary and then once the season starts get loaned to Whitby for the season with them only part paying his wages.

Sad to lose Turnbull but understand his position. But I'd like to see us start completing some deals to start showing our intent for next season.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat May 26, 2018 5:23 pm

Close to signing a CF apparently and TW speaking to other potential signings.Surprisingly quiet up the road at Spenny and don't think Blyth have made a signing yet.Wonder if Tommy looks to bring some local young lads in from the Boro as the loan of Pears worked well all round.Hopefully some news next week.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat May 26, 2018 5:46 pm

JE93 wrote:Looking at our starting 11 now think looked something like. Obviously players have pre season to prove themselves.

--------------------------- ??????? ---------------------------

Trotman --- Heaton ----- Galbraith ---- O'hanlon

------------------ ??????? --- Wheatley --------------------

Thompson ---------- Syers-------------------- Gillies

--------------------------- Styche ----------------------------

Subs: ???? (Yth Keeper), Collins, Hughes, ???? (Striker), Glover.
Any reason why you think that Hughes has been brought in to sit on the bench - can he not play CM alongside Wheatley?

That is current state of play. There will be plenty of players who are about to be on trial probably simultaneously with us and FL/National League clubs I am not too concerned that we have only really one or two gaps to fill. If we can bring in better quality in pre-season.