Ainge signs for Darlo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Beano
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ainge signs for Darlo

Post by Beano » Wed May 30, 2018 6:00 pm

As I’ve written many times before, I hope we sign a genuine left winger to maximise our supply to our forwards, including Syers, whom are all excellent aerially.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Wed May 30, 2018 6:36 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Interesting article about Ainge and the injury, how he's fit again now and that he's aiming for 30 goals next season.

As for the injury, it felt like he'd "been shot in the groin".... bejaysus!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... tmare.html
Sounds like a horrible injury. Didn't score at Wrexham in 10 games on loan, how many goals has he scored since he came back? I wonder if Tommy sees this as a gamble worth taking, it seems like Harrogate have released him early from his contract so he may have deemed it was worth the risk.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Wed May 30, 2018 6:50 pm

Beano wrote:As I’ve written many times before, I hope we sign a genuine left winger to maximise our supply to our forwards, including Syers, whom are all excellent aerially.
Caton could be that man if only he could replicate his blistering performance at Leamington

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed May 30, 2018 6:56 pm

Depends what his attitude is on returning for pre-season. If he wants to fight to get his place back and prove he shouldn't have been left out then he clearly has the talent.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed May 30, 2018 7:05 pm

Yarblockos wrote: it seems like Harrogate have released him early from his contract so he may have deemed it was worth the risk.
We paid a fee for him

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed May 30, 2018 7:15 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:
Beano wrote:As I’ve written many times before, I hope we sign a genuine left winger to maximise our supply to our forwards, including Syers, whom are all excellent aerially.
Caton could be that man if only he could replicate his blistering performance at Leamington
But he barely ever looks like repeating that. People like to point to Caton's performance v Leamington.

But we can't keep hanging on that one performance against one of the division's weaker sides (who only had 10 men as well).

The amount of ineffectual performances he put in far outweighs the number of decent ones. Realistically, had Caton been on a one-year deal, TW would have released him this summer.

Any ideas of him coming good are based more on hope than expectation.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed May 30, 2018 7:25 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
grimsbyquaker wrote:
But he barely ever looks like repeating that. People like to point to Caton's performance v Leamington.

But we can't keep hanging on that one performance against one of the division's weaker sides (who only had 10 men as well).

The amount of ineffectual performances he put in far outweighs the number of decent ones. Realistically, had Caton been on a one-year deal, TW would have released him this summer.
I agree, Caton coming good just isn't going to happen, every time he plays I really want him to and his running off the ball is quite good but just not sure he has enough with and without the ball.
Any ideas of him coming good are based more on hope than expectation
Last edited by super_les_mcjannet on Wed May 30, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wijnhard's_Schlong

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
grimsbyquaker wrote:

Agree completely with this. Unfortunately for us the lad has been ineffective in 90% of the games he's played a part in while at the club which is simply not good enough. I never understood the notion that we seemingly had a new player on our hands after that one good half hour last season given he failed to replicate that performance in any of the following games. Ideal scenario is Caton out and a new wide man in.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 pm

On a side note, I don't really know how to pronounce either of our strikers names.

Steeeesh? Stighsh? Steech? Stighch?

Eynj? Eyngah?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Wed May 30, 2018 7:53 pm

Wijnhard's_Schlong wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
grimsbyquaker wrote:

Agree completely with this. Unfortunately for us the lad has been ineffective in 90% of the games he's played a part in while at the club which is simply not good enough. I never understood the notion that we seemingly had a new player on our hands after that one good half hour last season given he failed to replicate that performance in any of the following games. Ideal scenario is Caton out and a new wide man in.
I think he replicated it at home to Blyth the following weekend but was then crocked and didn’t manage to build on that

Darlo-and-Back

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Wed May 30, 2018 7:55 pm

Beano wrote:Ainge is a phenomenal signing, arguably the form striker for our league over the last couple of seasons, albeit in exactly the same role as Styche.

Styche does a lot more work off the ball, whereas Ainge is a more typical target man/poacher.

Not many defences in this league will cope with both.
Agree with this. Just need Pears and a hard, pressing, horrible midfielder and that with do nicely.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed May 30, 2018 8:06 pm

Caton did have an excellent game v Blyth too before he was crocked and then was never fully fit until the end of the season. Also, talking to AW and TW after Leamington, they felt that they'd finally managed to get his head right, so there is a chance he could play a positive role this season, but agree with Gramps that this is more in hope than expectation, and TW wouldn't have put him on the transfer list without good reason. I guess we're looking for consolation here if we don't manage to move him on.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:33 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:Caton did have an excellent game v Blyth too before he was crocked and then was never fully fit until the end of the season. Also, talking to AW and TW after Leamington, they felt that they'd finally managed to get his head right, so there is a chance he could play a positive role this season, but agree with Gramps that this is more in hope than expectation, and TW wouldn't have put him on the transfer list without good reason. I guess we're looking for consolation here if we don't manage to move him on.
I would be very surprised if we moved him on permanently - I think he will be one of the better paid players at the club. I think at best we could loan him out on a monthly loan somewhere and hope that it takes off for him.
I don't think TW and AW want an unhappy player hanging round the club - it could cause more harm than good. Its such a shame if we cant move Burgess and Caton on, as this will restrict TW and AW in the transfer market.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu May 31, 2018 9:59 am

There still should be room to bring at least 2 more in. We have released/sold 7 (Marrs, Hunter, Brown, Portas, Turnbull, Scott, Mills) plus two youth team players (Milburn & Hume) and only replaced these with two (Hughes & Ainge).

Priority next is obviously a goalkeeper, followed by a centre midfielder. If we can shift one of Burgess & Caton then we should look at strengthening out wide.

We would then have a decent sized squad of 16 first-teamers supplemented by 3 young players (Vaulks, Glover & Saunders).

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu May 31, 2018 10:58 am

Darlofan97 wrote:There still should be room to bring at least 2 more in. We have released/sold 7 (Marrs, Hunter, Brown, Portas, Turnbull, Scott, Mills) plus two youth team players (Milburn & Hume) and only replaced these with two (Hughes & Ainge).

Priority next is obviously a goalkeeper, followed by a centre midfielder. If we can shift one of Burgess & Caton then we should look at strengthening out wide.

We would then have a decent sized squad of 16 first-teamers supplemented by 3 young players (Vaulks, Glover & Saunders).
Sounds about right.

Can/has Hughes played wide at all does anyone know?

Defence looks pretty sorted. We have Trotman, Heaton, Galbraith, O'Hanlon, with Vaulks and Collins providing the cover/competiton (and Collins to cover right-back, Galbraith to cover left), as well as Ainge as an option.

Midfield probably was sorted until Turnbull's departure, so I'd expect to see a direct replacement there - as has been said before Syers seems more of a supplementary forward than a central midfielder. It's probably safe to say that Glover isn't ready to be thrust in to first team football week-in-week-out so Wheatley needs an experienced partner (unless that is Hughes).
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu May 31, 2018 12:21 pm

Spyman wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:There still should be room to bring at least 2 more in. We have released/sold 7 (Marrs, Hunter, Brown, Portas, Turnbull, Scott, Mills) plus two youth team players (Milburn & Hume) and only replaced these with two (Hughes & Ainge).

Sounds about right.

Defence looks pretty sorted. We have Trotman, Heaton, Galbraith, O'Hanlon, with Vaulks and Collins providing the cover/competiton (and Collins to cover right-back, Galbraith to cover left), as well as Ainge as an option.

Midfield probably was sorted until Turnbull's departure, so I'd expect to see a direct replacement there - as has been said before Syers seems more of a supplementary forward than a central midfielder. It's probably safe to say that Glover isn't ready to be thrust in to first team football week-in-week-out so Wheatley needs an experienced partner (unless that is Hughes).
From what I can gather Hughes can play down the spine of the team. Centre half, central midfield, just off the forward or as a target man.

We are a little light in midfield following the departures of Turnbull, Portas & Scott. Wouldn't mind a holding midfielder (Falkingham esque) to come in to allow Wheatley, Hughes or Syers to get forward.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu May 31, 2018 12:29 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Spyman wrote:

Sounds about right.

From what I can gather Hughes can play down the spine of the team. Centre half, central midfield, just off the forward or as a target man.

We are a little light in midfield following the departures of Turnbull, Portas & Scott. Wouldn't mind a holding midfielder (Falkingham esque) to come in to allow Wheatley, Hughes or Syers to get forward.
Think that's pretty bang on.

One name I did wonder about is Neal Bishop. Released by Scunthorpe. 36 now but played 38 times in league 1 last season. Could be the kind of Ricky Ravenhill style player we need to allow Wheatley and Syers to play. He's from Boro area. Maybe he would fancy something PT while he works out what to do after football? Probably a bit hopeful mind I think he'll still have interest from higher up.

Beano

Post by Beano » Thu May 31, 2018 1:47 pm

Goalkeeper, nasty bugger in central midfield, a left footed winger, and we’ve got a very strong squad.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu May 31, 2018 2:02 pm

Our midfield does have Thompson, Caton, Gillies, Wheatley, Hughes, Syers and Glover. I’m surprised that people think that the departure of Portas and Scott leave us light - the stats may prove me wrong but they can’t have had that many minutes last season between them?

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:12 pm

lo36789 wrote:Our midfield does have Thompson, Caton, Gillies, Wheatley, Hughes, Syers and Glover. I’m surprised that people think that the departure of Portas and Scott leave us light - the stats may prove me wrong but they can’t have had that many minutes last season between them?
I think it's more of a reflection that we have lost Turnbull than the other 2. Admittedly I'm not 100% about Hughes as i don't have any great knowledge of the type of midfielder that he is. But from the signing of Ainge it looks like we might be planning for a 4-4-2 Next season. And once you start putting the team together on that basis:

------------------------ Goalkeeper -----------------------

Trotman-------- Heaton ------- Galbraith ----- O'Hanlon

Thompson ----- Wheatley ---- Syers/Hughes ---- Gillies

-------------------- Ainge ----- Styche -------------------

It looks a very good team on paper, but you've got two fullbacks who love to get forwards, possibly two CM's (Wheatley and Syers) who like to get further up the pitch and join in. Two proper wingers (although to give thommo credit he does do a good job getting back) and two out and out strikers.

Might just leave us a little exposed in terms of defence. Hence maybe a holding midfielder to shield the centre halves stop them being dragged out wouldn't be the worst addition. We should definitely be looking for a top keeper first though in terms of budget allocation.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu May 31, 2018 3:43 pm

JE93 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:Our midfield does have Thompson, Caton, Gillies, Wheatley, Hughes, Syers and Glover. I’m surprised that people think that the departure of Portas and Scott leave us light - the stats may prove me wrong but they can’t have had that many minutes last season between them?
I think it's more of a reflection that we have lost Turnbull than the other 2. Admittedly I'm not 100% about Hughes as i don't have any great knowledge of the type of midfielder that he is. But from the signing of Ainge it looks like we might be planning for a 4-4-2 Next season. And once you start putting the team together on that basis:

------------------------ Goalkeeper -----------------------

Trotman-------- Heaton ------- Galbraith ----- O'Hanlon

Thompson ----- Wheatley ---- Syers/Hughes ---- Gillies

-------------------- Ainge ----- Styche -------------------

It looks a very good team on paper, but you've got two fullbacks who love to get forwards, possibly two CM's (Wheatley and Syers) who like to get further up the pitch and join in. Two proper wingers (although to give thommo credit he does do a good job getting back) and two out and out strikers.

Might just leave us a little exposed in terms of defence. Hence maybe a holding midfielder to shield the centre halves stop them being dragged out wouldn't be the worst addition. We should definitely be looking for a top keeper first though in terms of budget allocation.
Think we may have some strong competition from full time club looking for a keeper
(Liverpool) :lol:

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu May 31, 2018 4:15 pm

Lo, we are talking about the centre of midfield. So you can take out Thompson, Gillies & Caton.

That leaves us with Wheatley, Hughes, Syers & Glover in the centre. TW signed Hughes before Turnbull departed for South Shields (who he didn't intend to lose). So do you really think he won't, at least, try and replace him?

Glover is also only 17 and doesn't look ready to start starting a high number of games (although he does look technically very good). He will be used across next season as he has been this season and will probably make 10 or so appearances.

Scott and Portas also made 46 appearances between themselves last season (27 starts, 19 sub appearances). Hughes will replace that gap. Turnbull made 43 appearances for us last season (41 starts).

It's a squad game, and I would be a little worried if we head in to the new season having lost Turnbull, Portas & Scott and only replaced them with one.

I should imagine that we have the scope to bring one in as well as a goalkeeper.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu May 31, 2018 6:18 pm

Maybe - to be honest the shout of Neal Bishop is quite a good one in terms of what we may be after. I am not desperate to see us being someone in with any immediacy be nice to see us trial a few during pre-season and hopefully not give them 2 year contracts in desperation...

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu May 31, 2018 7:02 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Lo, we are talking about the centre of midfield. So you can take out Thompson, Gillies & Caton.

That leaves us with Wheatley, Hughes, Syers & Glover in the centre. TW signed Hughes before Turnbull departed for South Shields (who he didn't intend to lose). So do you really think he won't, at least, try and replace him?

Glover is also only 17 and doesn't look ready to start starting a high number of games (although he does look technically very good). He will be used across next season as he has been this season and will probably make 10 or so appearances.

Scott and Portas also made 46 appearances between themselves last season (27 starts, 19 sub appearances). Hughes will replace that gap. Turnbull made 43 appearances for us last season (41 starts).

It's a squad game, and I would be a little worried if we head in to the new season having lost Turnbull, Portas & Scott and only replaced them with one.

I should imagine that we have the scope to bring one in as well as a goalkeeper.
I wouldn't even count Syers if we're talking about 442. I just can't see him in a two unless the other guy is an out and out destroyer (a la Ravenhilll/Scott). But it won't be, as it seems Wheatley is becoming key.

Perhaps Wright new Turnbull was off and Hughes is intended as a direct replacement - although he was announced as an attacking midfielder so that would pour water on that theory.

Assuming Wright didn't know Turnbull was going at the time then I think he'll definitely want an established holding midfielder.

Goalkeeper, midfielder, and then if we can shift Caton another winger. I'd be happy with that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu May 31, 2018 7:20 pm

Spyman wrote:I wouldn't even count Syers if we're talking about 442. I just can't see him in a two unless the other guy is an out and out destroyer (a la Ravenhilll/Scott). But it won't be, as it seems Wheatley is becoming key.

Perhaps Wright new Turnbull was off and Hughes is intended as a direct replacement - although he was announced as an attacking midfielder so that would pour water on that theory.

Assuming Wright didn't know Turnbull was going at the time then I think he'll definitely want an established holding midfielder.

Goalkeeper, midfielder, and then if we can shift Caton another winger. I'd be happy with that.
I think that makes the Hughes signing weird though considering we have Syers. I don’t see how the two can ever fit in the same team which at this level outside of goalkeeper there aren’t many positions you would restrict yourself like that.

Someone said Hughes plays CB as well but no idea how true that is but suggests he has some ‘enforcer’ type capability.

Btw I don’t disagree something isn’t quite balanced at the moment but can’t help but this Syers may move on as I don’t see how he plays in same team as Hughes.

divas

Post by divas » Thu May 31, 2018 7:46 pm

Heathy competition. Players to bring off the bench to effect games. Syers spent a while on the sidelines when Wright took over and played his way into the team on merit. We’re going with 2 strikers plus Saunders next year so Hughes can fill in as a third option or play deeper. We might even go with one up top away from home as we have done this season with Syers in behind. It gives lots of options which we never had last year. When Styche didn’t play we looked toothless up front. The amount of times I looked at the bench and thought there’s nothing on there to change the game. That won’t be the case next year.

Nigel Batches Beard

Post by Nigel Batches Beard » Thu May 31, 2018 7:49 pm

Neil Bishop being linked with the Monkey Hangers

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:22 pm

Nigel Batches Beard wrote:Neil Bishop being linked with the Monkey Hangers
Maybe Syers would like to have a word with his ex-teammate at Scunthorpe.

Probably have very little chance of signing him in all honesty. Unfortunately for us players dropping out of the FL can get one extra year well paid playing full-time football at either Gateshead or Hartlepool. Occasionally we benefit from those that want to forge out a profession aside from football (Bartlett, Turnbull, Syers, Styche etc).