Leeds sack Heckingbottom

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, botrash, charlie, uncovered

Post Reply
PierremontQuaker03
Posts: 1722
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Leeds sack Heckingbottom

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:54 am

What an absolute joke of a club.

Fair enough Heckingbottom might not have been the right man for the job, but for christ sake give the guy a chance to bring in his own players and make his mark on the team.

Wonder how much Leeds have spent over the years sacking managers.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1536
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Leeds sack Heckingbottom

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:59 am

I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, how many managers have they sacked under the current owners, think he is an Italian,Paulo Di Canio next maybe.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11344
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Leeds sack Heckingbottom

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:25 pm

Absolutely ridiculous decision. They appoint someone and then don't give them any time to do the job. I'd imagine you'd have t be pretty desperate to want to manage them. I feel sorry for Heckingbottom and I hope he goes on to prove what a good manager he is, at some club which appreciates him.

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2555
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Leeds sack Heckingbottom

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:14 pm

I said from day one He has made a major cock up going to Helland Rd . Unfortunately he were never going to be given time they want instant success and get back where they "belong" I fecking hate then cnuts they deserve everything they get...

lo36789
Posts: 7978
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Leeds sack Heckingbottom

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:17 pm

He will be fine. He gets a pay off and I don’t really think his credibility has been damaged people are just pointing finger at Leeds. Just a shame I think that they made the decision after the Sunderland job has been taken - could have been a good fit.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4338
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Leeds sack Heckingbottom

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:15 pm

I personally think Heckingbottom is overhyped and isn't that great a manager. He'd have taken Barnsley down and was supposedly on the brink of a sacking before Leeds came calling.

It seems bad to have sacked a manager without giving him a transfer window to reshape the squad. But if they genuinely believe they've made the wrong appointment, it makes no sense to persevere with someone you don't believe can be a success.

But, that does also indicate Leeds clearly screwed up big time with their recruitment processes.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2555
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Leeds sack Heckingbottom

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:45 pm

Darlogramps wrote:I personally think Heckingbottom is overhyped and isn't that great a manager. He'd have taken Barnsley down and was supposedly on the brink of a sacking before Leeds came calling.

It seems bad to have sacked a manager without giving him a transfer window to reshape the squad. But if they genuinely believe they've made the wrong appointment, it makes no sense to persevere with someone you don't believe can be a success.

But, that does also indicate Leeds clearly screwed up big time with their recruitment processes.
He won twice at Wembley with Barnsley so he is not that bad

Wijnhard's_Schlong
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:52 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Leeds sack Heckingbottom

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:08 pm

Darlogramps wrote:He'd have taken Barnsley down and was supposedly on the brink of a sacking before Leeds came calling.
Highly doubtful given he only signed a new deal a matter of days before he left for Leeds.

shildonlad
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Leeds sack Heckingbottom

Post by shildonlad » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:26 pm

Any club can make a miatake with a managerial appointment even man u but how many so called mistakes have leeds made now. As cloughie said when a chairman keeps sacking managers he should be the next to go. Wont tarnish heckingbottoms reputation the way these arceholes go througth managers. A foreigner head coach/puppet/yes man will probably get this job. Leeds will only go up when a manager sees a season out. They are like the southport of the championship

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Darlogramps
Posts: 4338
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Leeds sack Heckingbottom

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:09 am

Wijnhard's_Schlong wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:He'd have taken Barnsley down and was supposedly on the brink of a sacking before Leeds came calling.
Highly doubtful given he only signed a new deal a matter of days before he left for Leeds.
That make things worse if I'm honest. Signs a new deal then sticks two fingers up at his employers for the bigger bucks.

Deserved his sacking purely on that basis.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps
Posts: 4338
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Leeds sack Heckingbottom

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:24 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:I personally think Heckingbottom is overhyped and isn't that great a manager. He'd have taken Barnsley down and was supposedly on the brink of a sacking before Leeds came calling.

It seems bad to have sacked a manager without giving him a transfer window to reshape the squad. But if they genuinely believe they've made the wrong appointment, it makes no sense to persevere with someone you don't believe can be a success.

But, that does also indicate Leeds clearly screwed up big time with their recruitment processes.
He won twice at Wembley with Barnsley so he is not that bad
He would have taken Barnsley down and went backwards with Leeds so he is not that good either.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Wijnhard's_Schlong
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:52 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Leeds sack Heckingbottom

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:58 am

Darlogramps wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:I personally think Heckingbottom is overhyped and isn't that great a manager. He'd have taken Barnsley down and was supposedly on the brink of a sacking before Leeds came calling.

It seems bad to have sacked a manager without giving him a transfer window to reshape the squad. But if they genuinely believe they've made the wrong appointment, it makes no sense to persevere with someone you don't believe can be a success.

But, that does also indicate Leeds clearly screwed up big time with their recruitment processes.
He won twice at Wembley with Barnsley so he is not that bad
He would have taken Barnsley down and went backwards with Leeds so he is not that good either.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
I’m not sure how you can say that with such assertion - one point from safety when he left was hardly insurmountable. And is 16 games really long enough to prove anything at a new club?

I trust his reputation has been formed off the back of operating with what I’d imagine is one of the smaller budgets in that league for back-to-back seasons. Agreed on the notion though that it was a very strange decision to move so soon after signing the renewed deal, even more so when you consider he was employed by his home town club. The biggest black mark for me is why anyone would voluntarily put themselves forward in the first place to work under the regime in place at Leeds. Madness.

I’m sure he won’t have much trouble in securing his next job though. Great player for Darlo too.

My opinion
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Leeds sack Heckingbottom

Post by My opinion » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:04 am

Darlogramps wrote:
It seems bad to have sacked a manager without giving him a transfer window to reshape the squad. But if they genuinely believe they've made the wrong appointment, it makes no sense to persevere with someone you don't believe can be a success. .
Totally agree with this comment.
Thank goodness our board had belief in Wright and White. Some on here wanted them sackng after just 12 weeks or so.

User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1598
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Leeds sack Heckingbottom

Post by D_F_C » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:10 am

My opinion wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
It seems bad to have sacked a manager without giving him a transfer window to reshape the squad. But if they genuinely believe they've made the wrong appointment, it makes no sense to persevere with someone you don't believe can be a success. .
Totally agree with this comment.
Thank goodness our board had belief in Wright and White. Some on here wanted them sackng after just 12 weeks or so.
Yes there were some calling for him to go, but they both still have a big job on. He’s removed a lot of popular players and if he doesn’t replace them with good ones then it could backfire. Having said that he’s made a good start


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlogramps
Posts: 4338
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Leeds sack Heckingbottom

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:25 am

My opinion wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
It seems bad to have sacked a manager without giving him a transfer window to reshape the squad. But if they genuinely believe they've made the wrong appointment, it makes no sense to persevere with someone you don't believe can be a success. .
Totally agree with this comment.
Thank goodness our board had belief in Wright and White. Some on here wanted them sackng after just 12 weeks or so.
You're right. I wanted him sacked after three months of poor form, aimlessness, no Plan B, no progress towards tackling our problems and no strategy to resolve these problems. Trying implement a formation and style of play which didn't suit the squad wasted three months and took us into the bottom three.

Amazingly, when he started fitting the players into a system that suited them, played with a more pragmatic style and actually had a coherent plan (I.E. all things I said he needed to do), we were successful.

But the jury is still out on TW (I'm sure he would admit this himself), particularly after some big characters have departed. Either way, he gets to own what happens this season, people can't use the previous manager excuse now.

Finishing mid-table last season was no great achievement (TW's words, not mine) so I don't know why his most ardent supporters are trying to pretend it was.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps
Posts: 4338
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Leeds sack Heckingbottom

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:40 am

Wijnhard's_Schlong wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:I personally think Heckingbottom is overhyped and isn't that great a manager. He'd have taken Barnsley down and was supposedly on the brink of a sacking before Leeds came calling.

It seems bad to have sacked a manager without giving him a transfer window to reshape the squad. But if they genuinely believe they've made the wrong appointment, it makes no sense to persevere with someone you don't believe can be a success.

But, that does also indicate Leeds clearly screwed up big time with their recruitment processes.
He won twice at Wembley with Barnsley so he is not that bad
He would have taken Barnsley down and went backwards with Leeds so he is not that good either.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
I’m not sure how you can say that with such assertion - one point from safety when he left was hardly insurmountable. And is 16 games really long enough to prove anything at a new club?
Barnsley did ultimately go down with a squad Heckingbottom put together. His replacement Jose Morais didn't have any time to mould the squad in his image.

That, combined with the fact Barnsley were in the relegation zone, and weren't on a great run of form, leads me to think, with a degree of confidence, he'd have taken them down. It's not an unjustifiable opinion, although of course it's also completely hypothetical.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

darlo2001uk
Posts: 1220
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:10 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Leeds sack Heckingbottom

Post by darlo2001uk » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:38 am

Gramps for the Leeds job?

Apparently they want a big name :)

My opinion
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Leeds sack Heckingbottom

Post by My opinion » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:02 pm

D_F_C wrote:
My opinion wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
It seems bad to have sacked a manager without giving him a transfer window to reshape the squad. But if they genuinely believe they've made the wrong appointment, it makes no sense to persevere with someone you don't believe can be a success. .
Totally agree with this comment.
Thank goodness our board had belief in Wright and White. Some on here wanted them sackng after just 12 weeks or so.
Yes there were some calling for him to go, but they both still have a big job on. He’s removed a lot of popular players and if he doesn’t replace them with good ones then it could backfire. Having said that he’s made a good start


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree that both still have a big job on their hands, the season coming up is where they should be judged, not the 12 games or so when they first took over.. Even Heckingbottom got 16 games. If they fail they should go, no arguement with that at all.
Also agree that some of the popular players have been moved on. But , to be fair they were at their limit and the decision had to be made if we want to progress..

jjljks
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Leeds sack Heckingbottom

Post by jjljks » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:59 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:Gramps for the Leeds job?

Apparently they want a big name :)
MARTIN GRAY - did well at Darlo, then taken York City as far as he could on a limited budget so ripe for a move by now. ;)

HarryCharltonsCat
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Leeds sack Heckingbottom

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:39 pm

Heckingbottom lost the nucleus of his team and was given next to nothing to replace them with. He did well to have Barnsley in the mix to avoid the drop rather than cast adrift. As for Leeds, another example of the short termism now prevalent in football. Nobody gets any time anymore. Quite funny that Paul Tisdale was sacked for being 2nd bottom, but given time because he had to work his notice, ended up in the play off final.

User avatar
bertbanger
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:18 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Leeds sack Heckingbottom

Post by bertbanger » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:56 am

he signed a new contract at Barnsley because the club and him knew Leeds were going to approach him, it protects the club regards higher compensation package from Leeds.
clubs do it all the time

Post Reply