Ainge signs for Darlo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

Ainge signs for Darlo

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed May 30, 2018 12:59 pm

Just announced.

Decent signing, added to our attacking options.

On the website

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/qua ... mon-ainge/

Darlo2807

Re: Ainge signs for Darlo

Post by Darlo2807 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:01 pm

Him and Styche will be some force next season

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:03 pm

I can’t find it - great signing though one of those if someone had suggested I’d have said no chance!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed May 30, 2018 1:04 pm

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/qua ... mon-ainge/

If he's over his bad injury from last season, then a cracking signing. At Harrogate he scored (according to the ever reliable Wikipedia) 35 goals in 54 games, which is superb. Him and Styche could (should) be up there with the best the league has to offer next season

And he's played a lot at CB at this level and the one above, so adds versatility too.

quakermass

Post by quakermass » Wed May 30, 2018 1:07 pm

al_quaker wrote:http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/qua ... mon-ainge/

If he's over his bad injury from last season, then a cracking signing. At Harrogate he scored (according to the ever reliable Wikipedia) 35 goals in 54 games, which is superb. Him and Styche could (should) be up there with the best the league has to offer next season

And he's played a lot at CB at this level and the one above, so adds versatility too.
Fantastic signing and Tommy deserves credit for pulling it off. Just a keeper and a solid midfielder and we’re there or there about! Can’t wait to see him and Styche together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed May 30, 2018 1:12 pm

quakermass wrote:

Fantastic signing and Tommy deserves credit for pulling it off. Just a keeper and a solid midfielder and we’re there or there about! Can’t wait to see him and Styche together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Announcement could be made 'soon' on a keeper according to Tommy in the Echo

divas

Post by divas » Wed May 30, 2018 1:12 pm

He’ll do I suppose....

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed May 30, 2018 1:20 pm

Very exciting signing.

If he's over his injury, he and Styche together should be a force to be reckoned with.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 30, 2018 1:29 pm

He's been a centre back most of his career from the looks of it and converted very successfully to a forward in the last couple of seasons.

Assuming he has signed primarily as a forward he'll still offer some very capable cover at the back if we were to suffer a speight of injuries at the back like we did last season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

bga

Post by bga » Wed May 30, 2018 1:33 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Very exciting signing.

If he's over his injury, he and Styche together should be a force to be reckoned with.
Seconded Gramps. As has already been said good to see he can fill in at the back in an emergency.

divas

Post by divas » Wed May 30, 2018 1:43 pm

He’s also captained Guiseley, Harrogate and England C so helps fill a leadership gap after the recent departures of influential players like Brown, Turnbull and Scott

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed May 30, 2018 1:45 pm

Presuming Styche and Ainge play as a front two, which Wright has indicated they will, I wonder what the knock on effect will be on the rest of the team.

Will we play a more typical 4-4-2 with Syers/Hughes/A.N.Other alongside Wheatley? I don't know a great deal about Hughes , but Syers has always looked more effective playing in the more advanced role.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed May 30, 2018 1:53 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Presuming Styche and Ainge play as a front two, which Wright has indicated they will, I wonder what the knock on effect will be on the rest of the team.

Will we play a more typical 4-4-2 with Syers/Hughes/A.N.Other alongside Wheatley? I don't know a great deal about Hughes , but Syers has always looked more effective playing in the more advanced role.
I was just wondering the same thing

We've got plenty of attacking strength in depth next season. I can't work out a realistic formation which will fit in Thompson, Gillies, Syers, Hughes, Styche and Ainge into the starting line up.

442 would be the obvious answer. I think Syers is great, but I'm not sure about Wheatley + Syers/Hughes in CM (Hughes being advertised as an attacking midfielder) in terms of defensive protection.

Tommy does like 532 which would mean we could play Wheatley, Syers/Hughes + new DM (or Glover if he progresses as hoped) and 2 up front. But then what to do with Thompson (in particular).

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:58 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Presuming Styche and Ainge play as a front two, which Wright has indicated they will, I wonder what the knock on effect will be on the rest of the team.

I'm not sure. Syers is a potential problem child next season for me. I don't think he works very well in a 'traditional' CM role and would potentially leave Wheatley and the back 4 a bit exposed. I am similar with Hughes in that I don't really know how combative v luxury he is.

You could go with a diamond in the midfield but I am then not convinced that either Gillies or Thompson could play inside.

Assuming Hughes is able to play a more box-to-box midfield role alongside Wheatley then I am wondering if Syers will become more of an impact player from the bench. If he isn't and we still need another CM then I can't see Syers staying if I am honest.
quakermass wrote:a solid midfielder
This is the thing we now have 4 centre midfielders by my reckoning, to what capacity they can operate in a flat 4 in midfield if we go two up top is the question. I don't think we need a fifth from a pure numbers perspective.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 30, 2018 2:00 pm

al_quaker wrote:Everything you said...
Basically I agree with all of it haha. It's the team blend that I am not sure about at the moment more than the quality / quantity of players!

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed May 30, 2018 2:02 pm

Does this qualify for cartwheels (for the older users on here!)?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed May 30, 2018 2:06 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Very exciting signing.

Totally agree Gramps, cannot wait to see these two together plus Thommo and possibly Gillies.We have goals in our team without doubt.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed May 30, 2018 2:15 pm

divas wrote:He’s also captained Guiseley, Harrogate and England C so helps fill a leadership gap after the recent departures of influential players like Brown, Turnbull and Scott
Good point Divas, its OK bringing new signings in but this league is very tough and we have lost some very competitive lads lately but Simon Ainge seems to have something about him and was a hand full when he played at BM recently.Seems Tommy has brought in 2 tough lads, very happy about these.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed May 30, 2018 2:17 pm

lo36789 wrote:
al_quaker wrote:Everything you said...
Basically I agree with all of it haha. It's the team blend that I am not sure about at the moment more than the quality / quantity of players!
Great minds think alike ;)

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed May 30, 2018 2:22 pm

Ainge is a phenomenal signing, arguably the form striker for our league over the last couple of seasons, albeit in exactly the same role as Styche.

Styche does a lot more work off the ball, whereas Ainge is a more typical target man/poacher.

Not many defences in this league will cope with both.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed May 30, 2018 2:32 pm

May be able to give us some flexibility in shapes & tactics, adaptability to what the different teams may throw at us, not forgetting the variable of Vardy academy leaving us short. Good to get the signings done so they can get to build understandings during pre-season.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed May 30, 2018 3:07 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:Does this qualify for cartwheels (for the older users on here!)?
I remember this, and now I feel old :(

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Wed May 30, 2018 3:23 pm

Pulled this off YouTube,
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=si ... &FORM=VIRE

Mind it will be interesting to see who grabs the ball for our first penalty of the season.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed May 30, 2018 3:35 pm

Interesting article about Ainge and the injury, how he's fit again now and that he's aiming for 30 goals next season.

As for the injury, it felt like he'd "been shot in the groin".... bejaysus!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... tmare.html

Wijnhard's_Schlong

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Wed May 30, 2018 3:57 pm

poppyfield wrote:Pulled this off YouTube,
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=si ... &FORM=VIRE

Mind it will be interesting to see who grabs the ball for our first penalty of the season.
My god. Never seen someone be so prolific with their head. Just stick the ball in at the back post and it seems like you’re guaranteed goals. Excited by this!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 30, 2018 3:59 pm

At 30 years of age, he'll be at his prime for a year or two. No doubt many teams will be pretty fearful of playing us. Great signing by Tommy.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 30, 2018 4:08 pm

It gives us options - in some games we might be better off with Syers playing off Styche or Ainge to help pack out the midfield.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

divas

Post by divas » Wed May 30, 2018 4:37 pm

Clearly Ainge needs service from wide so Gillies and Thompson have a big role to get those crosses in. I’d imagine many of Ainge’s goals game from the NLN player of the year Joe Leesley’s crosses. Hopefully we can also re-invigorate Caton who actually has a very good cross on him or bring in another winger

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Wed May 30, 2018 4:40 pm

divas wrote:Clearly Ainge needs service from wide so Gillies and Thompson have a big role to get those crosses in. I’d imagine many of Ainge’s goals game from the NLN player of the year Joe Leesley’s crosses. Hopefully we can also re-invigorate Caton who actually has a very good cross on him or bring in another winger
Gillies has a brilliant cross on him, not so much corners, but it just hasn’t been utilised since Beck got injured.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed May 30, 2018 5:45 pm

Got to be happy with this. Hopefully this eases the burden on Reece and young Harvey.