TW tactics

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quakerlad
Team Supported: Darlington

TW tactics

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:15 pm

TW,s tacticscat times are a joke!

Wed night, absolutely tearing them apart with 442, 15 mins to go, so let’s go 433, and pee Styche off by putting him out wide! His body language said the same.

So today, seriously, 75 mins left you accept that you take a striker off and try and be tight in midfield with a sending off. No not TW, let’s still attack ......guess what, got hammered.

Don’t get me wrong, loved the way we played on Wed, best for a long time but our defending is not going to get us top half in my opinion. We lost some real mean, tough, unpromising defenders in the summer, who were also leaders when the chips were down, and replaced them with “nice” defenders who can certainly play but won’t grind out results for us.

I would say with Styche, Ainge, Thompson, Henshall, Wheatley, Elliot, Trotman and O’Hanlon, you have 8 attack minded players out of 10. Just wont work.

Yes, I,m being negative after only a few games and you can twist it either way, but 1 win and 12 goals conceded in 5 matches will see us near the bottom I,m afraid.

Wijnhard's_Schlong

Re: TW tactics

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:34 pm

My word, what an utter bed wetter we have here.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:53 pm

3 of the back 4 were here last season and were part of a good run of clean sheets. The players I’m presuming your meaning weren’t even in the team and when they were earlier in the season we were still leaking goals

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:58 pm

A little overboard but central concerns are correct. I have mentioned this on another thread. I'm not trying to be negative but we are alarmingly conceding goals (2 per match at the moment) - it's not a good statistic at the moment and relies on scoring a bag full just to get us in a position to win.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Blackwell64

Post by Blackwell64 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:46 pm

Overreaction much?

Although yes, Tommy as he has said multiple times since he has come in he’d rather win 4-3 as opposed to 1-0. So right off the bat he’s put out his preferred style of play.

We have conceded at an alarming rate, but I do think that will improve when various elements of the squad mix well. You have to remember Tommo was on holiday, and we have had two sending offs in 5 games. With our team gradually playing better, and the new guys integrating more, our defence as well as attack should improve.

Maybe you are right about making that change at 75 mins.... but we had no substitutions left????!! So therefore what was he supposed to do? Play people out of position to fit a tactical system that may ship the same amount of goals as attacking in the way we were would.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:52 pm

What we are lacking is a holding midfielder who sits in front of the back four and gives them some extra protection in the way Turnbull did. Wheatley and Elliott both like to get forward, one of them needs to stay back when the other goes forward.

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:06 pm

dfc4me wrote:What we are lacking is a holding midfielder who sits in front of the back four and gives them some extra protection in the way Turnbull did. Wheatley and Elliott both like to get forward, one of them needs to stay back when the other goes forward.
Yes I agree, Wheatley and Elliott are too similar and Hughes is not the answer so this is a problem for TW.We seem to have too many attacking midfielders in our squad with Nicholson and Syers added to Wheatley and Elliott and lack a solid defensive type with some physical presence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

divas

Post by divas » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:19 pm

Bit early to write Hughes off, he needs games to get in shape and I expect we’ll se a different player once he gets a run. I expect Tommy will turn to him for the 3 games in which Wheatley is banned.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:42 pm

quakerman wrote:
dfc4me wrote:What we are lacking is a holding midfielder who sits in front of the back four and gives them some extra protection in the way Turnbull did. Wheatley and Elliott both like to get forward, one of them needs to stay back when the other goes forward.
Yes I agree, Wheatley and Elliott are too similar and Hughes is not the answer so this is a problem for TW.We seem to have too many attacking midfielders in our squad with Nicholson and Syers added to Wheatley and Elliott and lack a solid defensive type with some physical presence.

Quick question - do you also post under the name Quakerman2? As in, are you the same person using both accounts?

Only Quakerman2 was the one who said Turnbull didn't score enough. So if you're both the same person, and you're now saying we need someone more defensive-minded, you can see why I'm preparing to take you to task.

If you're different people then fair enough, but it would be nice to get clarity.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:35 pm

I thought before he joined Elliot was listed as more of a ‘destroyer’ type midfielder. Probably more Gravesen than Makelele but the type full of energy and putting pressure on opponents midfield.

Look Tommy has said he is glad we are scoring goals but he is concerned about letting them in at the other end. It also doesn’t help that we keep getting players sent off am I right in thinking when we have kept 11 on the pitch we have outplayed opponents.

I think our problem is when we have XI we are fine as we can attack teams. Once we go down a man then gaps appear and unfortunately with such an attack minded team that single gap is too much.

I am not even sure a holding midfielder will solve it. I think that perhaps just created a gap alongside Wheatley which could be exploited.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:08 am

Darlogramps wrote:
quakerman wrote:

Quick question - do you also post under the name Quakerman2? As in, are you the same person using both accounts?

Only Quakerman2 was the one who said Turnbull didn't score enough. So if you're both the same person, and you're now saying we need someone more defensive-minded, you can see why I'm preparing to take you to task.

If you're different people then fair enough, but it would be nice to get clarity.

No, I am not Quakerman 2. Was always a fan of Turnbull, his lack of goals didn't bother me because that was not his role.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:17 am

Perhaps the enforced absence of Wheatley and possibly Collins being subject to sanction after his strop, TW will turn to the youngsters (Glover / Vaulks) and rethink his tactics. Bit of a gamble chucking them into the mix, but they will have to be tested sometime and they deserve an opportunity to start a game show us what they can do over 90mns. Meanwhile, we fans must keep the faith and support whatever selection turns out for us.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:22 am

dfc4me wrote:
No, I am not Quakerman 2. Was always a fan of Turnbull, his lack of goals didn't bother me because that was not his role.
I was asking quakerman if he was also Quakerman2.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:28 am

jjljks wrote:Perhaps the enforced absence of Wheatley and possibly Collins being subject to sanction after his strop, TW will turn to the youngsters (Glover / Vaulks) and rethink his tactics. Bit of a gamble chucking them into the mix, but they will have to be tested sometime and they deserve an opportunity to start a game show us what they can do over 90mns. Meanwhile, we fans must keep the faith and support whatever selection turns out for us.
He doesn't need to, drop Collins push Galbraith back to CB and bring O'Hanlon back in.

And going against what most here seem to think, I'd bring Hughes in for Wheatley

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:37 pm

Well if the feelings being expressed in this thread are suggesting that TW is hell bent on playing open attacking football at the expense of results then perhaps they would prefer a more dour, hard-nosed brand of football. It seems that an opportunity to get back to this style has just opened up.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:55 pm

shawry wrote:
jjljks wrote:Perhaps the enforced absence of Wheatley and possibly Collins being subject to sanction after his strop, TW will turn to the youngsters (Glover / Vaulks) and rethink his tactics. Bit of a gamble chucking them into the mix, but they will have to be tested sometime and they deserve an opportunity to start a game show us what they can do over 90mns. Meanwhile, we fans must keep the faith and support whatever selection turns out for us.
He doesn't need to, drop Collins push Galbraith back to CB and bring O'Hanlon back in.

And going against what most here seem to think, I'd bring Hughes in for Wheatley

I think the back 4 will be Trotman Burn Galbraith O’Hanlon

Darlo-and-Back

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:11 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
shawry wrote:

I think the back 4 will be Trotman Burn Galbraith O’Hanlon
Think this is spot on. The midfield just needs game time to work on the defensive side of things. Alan Wight will get it sorted just like he did last season. Life after Heaton was always going to take some time to readjust.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:35 pm

Couple of people writing off Hughes. How many times have they seen him. I’ve seen him 3 - 2 friendly games, he was very very good and against curzon he showed glimpses but was ultimately poor that day. He will do fine in the next game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:11 am

D_F_C wrote:Couple of people writing off Hughes. How many times have they seen him. I’ve seen him 3 - 2 friendly games, he was very very good and against curzon he showed glimpses but was ultimately poor that day. He will do fine in the next game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have to agree, looked good in pre-season and once he gets a run in the side, I'm sure he'll prove what a good signing TW made.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:43 am

How many on here are old enough to remember Ray Yeoman? Imagine what would be said on here about his body shape? :roll:

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:28 pm

joejaques wrote:How many on here are old enough to remember Ray Yeoman? Imagine what would be said on here about his body shape? :roll:
Will 'fess up to being a Yogi fan. Just the sort of stopping machine we need now, not to mention baldie head like a cannonball. Also able to find a team mate with a pass and not waste possession. Even if wingers were quicker across the turf they would usually end up getting clattered as they took the long way round Ray to avoid his studs. John Peverell was another favourite & always sporting enough to warn the opposing player "if you skin me again...."