Tommy wants 3 new players

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_CR
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by Darlo_CR » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:25 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:Looking at his wiki page, this George Green seems to have a really good pedigree.

He was also born in Dewsbury in Yorkshire so if he still lives around there, he's not a million miles away in travelling terms.
Did he play for Everton? If it’s the lad I’m thinking about I remember being at Everton academy 5/6 years ago where they had him as their next big thing.
That’s him! There was an article on him not so long ago: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailym ... tball.html

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:53 pm

If Jacob Blyth does have a long-term injury then we can rule him out.

I’d love us to sign one of Elliot, Chambers or Nicholson. I don’t think it would be Green, he is a very good player but he is a more advanced midfielder as opposed to someone who sits-back.

Elliot seems to fit the bill, holding midfielder, NLN, contract recently terminated and voted POTY by Wright when he was at Nuneaton. IMO a good replacement for Turnbull if we can bring him in.

Chambers would be very good, although apparently York are interested. Nicholson on the other hand - good record last time he played in the NLN, creative wide-player who can play through the middle. Wright knows how to get the best out of him.

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:00 pm

Pretty sure Green can play out wide as well.

The dream trio would be Pears, Elliot and Nicholson for me personally (would be happy with Blyth though)

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:09 pm

ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:Pretty sure Green can play out wide as well.

The dream trio would be Pears, Elliot and Nicholson for me personally (would be happy with Blyth though)
Agreed with regards to the selected three - Pears was oustanding last season.

One thing I noticed is that both goalkeepers that we are considering are from the Championship, so that’s Russell out the window (who has presumably been snapped up by Spennymoor).

The addition of two or three that we’ve spoken about would make a good squad IMO. Albeit we may have to add one or two more if one of the V9 players are snapped up.

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:02 am

Another name that could be thrown into the ring could be Daniel Nti, can play out wide or through the middle, rated pretty highly and was also at the V9 academy week just gone

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:09 am

ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:Another name that could be thrown into the ring could be Daniel Nti, can play out wide or through the middle, rated pretty highly and was also at the V9 academy week just gone
Didn’t think much of him when I’ve seen him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:44 pm

My opinion wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:Would definitely take those 3 to go with what we have.

IF we can offload Caton then we should look at providing cover in defence or another winger. A decent sized squad of 16 supplemented by young lads (Vaulks, Glover, Saunders).

A far cry from the inflated 21-man squad we were carrying at the beginning of last season, that didn't include the 2 out on loan (Jameson, Wearmouth) and youth players (Milburn, Hume, Saunders etc).
How long are we going to call Saunders (born July 97) a young lad..
He is a month younger than Trotman (born June 97) but no-one ever seems to think of him as a young lad... Both will be 21 before the new season. Their birth dates were taken from google
Before anyone says my info is wrong, I took their DOB from google, so it could well be.
Justasking.
If Tommy says we are looking for another striker, if I was Harvey I would not be happy, it means another season of limited game time and at his age he needs game time. Either he is good enough or isn’t.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:53 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
My opinion wrote:

IF we can offload Caton then we should look at providing cover in defence or another winger. A decent sized squad of 16 supplemented by young lads (Vaulks, Glover, Saunders).

A far cry from the inflated 21-man squad we were carrying at the beginning of last season, that didn't include the 2 out on loan (Jameson, Wearmouth) and youth players (Milburn, Hume, Saunders etc).
He is a month younger than Trotman (born June 97) but no-one ever seems to think of him as a young lad... Both will be 21 before the new season. Their birth dates were taken from google
Before anyone says my info is wrong, I took their DOB from google, so it could well be.
Justasking.
If Tommy says we are looking for another striker, if I was Harvey I would not be happy, it means another season of limited game time and at his age he needs game time. Either he is good enough or isn’t.
From what I've seen, he isn't. But he's been kept on so unless the plan is to loan him out, then I would have him as third striker.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:55 pm

Paul Woolston released by Newcastle. I know TW has (apparently) got a move for a goalkeeper from a Championship club lined up, but he could be an option should this not materialise. Had a good loan spell in 2016 at this level with us I seem to remember.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:17 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Paul Woolston released by Newcastle. I know TW has (apparently) got a move for a goalkeeper from a Championship club lined up, but he could be an option should this not materialise. Had a good loan spell in 2016 at this level with us I seem to remember.
Isn’t that the lad from Darlington? He looked very good whilst on loan previously if I remember correctly.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:46 am

Spyman wrote:
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
My opinion wrote:

Justasking.
From what I've seen, he isn't. But he's been kept on so unless the plan is to loan him out, then I would have him as third striker.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Harvey hasn't shown very much in his limited opportunities. The fact that he isn't playing regularly would indicate that TW has serious reservations about him as well.

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:59 am

id be getting in a few defenders and midfielders if I were TW, were a bit short

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:51 am

Harvey S and Mitchell G need to beef up to be able to cope with the physical side and poor refereeing in this league, but they are still young and could do this so worth keeping both.

The midfield is another problem area, depending on the outcome of the V9 Academy offers. At least TW has a decent budget behind him and we should trust him to sort out the issues.

shawry

Post by shawry » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:01 am

jjljks wrote:Harvey S and Mitchell G need to beef up to be able to cope with the physical side and poor refereeing in this league, but they are still young and could do this so worth keeping both.

The midfield is another problem area, depending on the outcome of the V9 Academy offers. At least TW has a decent budget behind him and we should trust him to sort out the issues.
I think I'd try to turn harvey into a winger, his only real goal threat seems to be his pace.

I think a loan season in the division below where he .ight get consistent game time would do him the world of good, as let's face it he is likely to get even less game time this coming season.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:37 am

shawry wrote:
jjljks wrote:Harvey S and Mitchell G need to beef up to be able to cope with the physical side and poor refereeing in this league, but they are still young and could do this so worth keeping both.

I think I'd try to turn harvey into a winger, his only real goal threat seems to be his pace.

I think a loan season in the division below where he .ight get consistent game time would do him the world of good, as let's face it he is likely to get even less game time this coming season.

Agreed, perhaps given a run on the wing 50/50 with Caton? Needs to be able to swing some crosses in for Styche and learn to stay onside. Definitely has the pace to give many NLN full-backs nightmares, so let us give him a final chance.

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:15 pm

I really doubt this would happen but Hhat happened to that rumour of us possibly getting Danny Johnson from Gateshead, I’m putting 2+2 together and probably getting 5 but ould he be the forward that Tommy is wanting. (Again I really doubt this as we’ve got Styche and Ainge, I’m hoping for more of a wide forward who can do a job centrally aka Jordan Nicholson)

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:00 pm

I think Danny Johnson might now end up at Hartlepool, along with Scott Barrow.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:01 pm

m62exile wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:Paul Woolston released by Newcastle. I know TW has (apparently) got a move for a goalkeeper from a Championship club lined up, but he could be an option should this not materialise. Had a good loan spell in 2016 at this level with us I seem to remember.
Isn’t that the lad from Darlington? He looked very good whilst on loan previously if I remember correctly.
That is the one. Apparently he is attracting interest from higher up however. Apparently he has been unlucky to have been released by Newcastle and has only been so due to the sheer amount of goalkeepers which they have on their books.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:26 am

Darlofan97 wrote:Apparently he has been unlucky to have been released by Newcastle and has only been so due to the sheer amount of goalkeepers which they have on their books.
That seems illogical. I am sure if he was seen as better than the other goalkeepers they would be the ones to go instead. I am not sure much luck plays a part if you are the lowest hanging fruit (the most dispensable) in a club in terms of goalkeepers.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:56 pm

Contract agreed with a forward. All points to Jordan Nicholson.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:00 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Contract agreed with a forward. All points to Jordan Nicholson.
From Brackley?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:02 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:Contract agreed with a forward. All points to Jordan Nicholson.
From Brackley?
Was on loan at Brackley towards the end of last season. Released by Barnet last month.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:07 pm

Attacking midfielder isn’t he? Echo tonight says he’s a forward who can play left wing who played League 2 last season. Nicholson ticks that box
Last edited by grimsbyquaker on Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:17 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:Attacking midfielder isn’t he? A Wheatley replacement?
Left winger. An alternative to Gillies I am presuming.

We will still be after a centre mid & goalkeeper.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:18 pm

Nicholson is more of a left-winger or second-striker than a centre-midfielder.

Talks ongoing with a Championship goalkeeper, (hopefully Pears).

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:36 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:Attacking midfielder isn’t he? Echo tonight says he’s a forward who can play left wing who played League 2 last season. Nicholson ticks that box
Looks a very good signing going by the video highlights, good left foot and can score goals.3 good signings by Tommy so far and looking like only a keeper and central midfielder to complete the squad.Looks close to getting a keeper on a 6 month loan and no clues as to the final signing but liking the look of the shaping of our team so far, certainly have goals in them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:45 pm

Nicholson has looked very good when seen him play, another very good signing. Plenty of energy and goals in his game, as mentioned CM and GK are required.

I wonder if we start the season with Heaton as well, clubs are certainly taking an interest in him.

en passant

Post by en passant » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:54 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Nicholson has looked very good when seen him play, another very good signing. Plenty of energy and goals in his game, as mentioned CM and GK are required.

I wonder if we start the season with Heaton as well, clubs are certainly taking an interest in him.
On another thread there has been a lot of rumour that Heaton is going to be snapped up. This is generally seen as a positive as it will bring in money. The same also goes for the other two at the Vardy academy. Personally I would rather have all three stay for another year as I think the team being built looks like it could truly impress next season, and that is the rub. When talking of selling on our better players it is assumed that buyers will be as struck by their potential as we are, but all three have had limited game time last year, Trotman and Heaton only arrived after the change of management and Wheatley wasn't given much chance by MG. Potential buyers are bound to point to their lack of a full season of impressive play as a way of reducing their valuation so I do not think they would currently bring in as much of a fee as some think. Give them the coming season to both benefit Darlo on the pitch and impress further and we might well see some higher offers. This seems to be better than cashing in our chips too early when finances at the club are such as there is no immediate need to sell.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:02 am

en passant wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:Nicholson has looked very good when seen him play, another very good signing. Plenty of energy and goals in his game, as mentioned CM and GK are required.

On another thread there has been a lot of rumour that Heaton is going to be snapped up. This is generally seen as a positive as it will bring in money. The same also goes for the other two at the Vardy academy. Personally I would rather have all three stay for another year as I think the team being built looks like it could truly impress next season, and that is the rub. When talking of selling on our better players it is assumed that buyers will be as struck by their potential as we are, but all three have had limited game time last year, Trotman and Heaton only arrived after the change of management and Wheatley wasn't given much chance by MG. Potential buyers are bound to point to their lack of a full season of impressive play as a way of reducing their valuation so I do not think they would currently bring in as much of a fee as some think. Give them the coming season to both benefit Darlo on the pitch and impress further and we might well see some higher offers. This seems to be better than cashing in our chips too early when finances at the club are such as there is no immediate need to sell.
They've consistently performed for half a season (ish) and then impressed at the v9 academy, their price will be inflated a bit because of the academy. We also need to look at the point that coming to Darlo can help you move back into full time football, refusing to sell will hamper player acquisition.

Best result would be sell with clauses both appearance and sell on, and see if we can loan them back for a year :)

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:07 am

en passant wrote:

I think the key here is potential buyers. If you have a bidding war then it will only be good for us as we will get a far better fee up front. Then get him back on a season long loan.
As I have said elsewhere though, a 6 month loan for a keeper is not ideal in my opinion.