Tommy wants 3 new players

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

al_quaker
Posts: 5354
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by al_quaker » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:55 am

If it is Nicholson, and all clues point to him, then based on his record at this level he should be another very good signing. We struggled for goals last season, but with Styche, Ainge, Nicholson (TBC) Thompson, Syers and Gillies there'll be no excuses for not scoring plenty this year.

A defensive minded CM and a GK, and then I think we have a very strong looking squad (any V9 departures not withstanding).

en passant
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:17 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by en passant » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:29 am

shawry wrote:
en passant wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:Nicholson has looked very good when seen him play, another very good signing. Plenty of energy and goals in his game, as mentioned CM and GK are required.

I wonder if we start the season with Heaton as well, clubs are certainly taking an interest in him.
On another thread there has been a lot of rumour that Heaton is going to be snapped up. This is generally seen as a positive as it will bring in money. The same also goes for the other two at the Vardy academy. Personally I would rather have all three stay for another year as I think the team being built looks like it could truly impress next season, and that is the rub. When talking of selling on our better players it is assumed that buyers will be as struck by their potential as we are, but all three have had limited game time last year, Trotman and Heaton only arrived after the change of management and Wheatley wasn't given much chance by MG. Potential buyers are bound to point to their lack of a full season of impressive play as a way of reducing their valuation so I do not think they would currently bring in as much of a fee as some think. Give them the coming season to both benefit Darlo on the pitch and impress further and we might well see some higher offers. This seems to be better than cashing in our chips too early when finances at the club are such as there is no immediate need to sell.
They've consistently performed for half a season (ish) and then impressed at the v9 academy, their price will be inflated a bit because of the academy. We also need to look at the point that coming to Darlo can help you move back into full time football, refusing to sell will hamper player acquisition.

Best result would be sell with clauses both appearance and sell on, and see if we can loan them back for a year :)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Agree that if there is to be an early sale of any of our players that the club must try to get a sell on clause to acknowledge their future potential that will give Darlo a windfall payment. If we can also get a loan back that would be ideal. But again I do think we are inclined to be a bit Darlocentric in believing that we are the only team to have players with potential and to think we can call the shots on a deal when the potential buyer might just as easily move on to another target elsewhere. I would still be a bit wary of cashing in too soon.

And to cover the point raised above about getting a reputation for being a club that will further the ambitions of young players and therefore encourage others to join us, I don't think that holding onto them for a little longer would queer that ambition. What Pears acknowledged last year was that getting playing time in meaningful games is better for the player than disappearing into the shadows of third team football at a higher placed club.

shawry
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:55 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by shawry » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:18 am

en passant wrote:
shawry wrote:
en passant wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:Nicholson has looked very good when seen him play, another very good signing. Plenty of energy and goals in his game, as mentioned CM and GK are required.

I wonder if we start the season with Heaton as well, clubs are certainly taking an interest in him.
On another thread there has been a lot of rumour that Heaton is going to be snapped up. This is generally seen as a positive as it will bring in money. The same also goes for the other two at the Vardy academy. Personally I would rather have all three stay for another year as I think the team being built looks like it could truly impress next season, and that is the rub. When talking of selling on our better players it is assumed that buyers will be as struck by their potential as we are, but all three have had limited game time last year, Trotman and Heaton only arrived after the change of management and Wheatley wasn't given much chance by MG. Potential buyers are bound to point to their lack of a full season of impressive play as a way of reducing their valuation so I do not think they would currently bring in as much of a fee as some think. Give them the coming season to both benefit Darlo on the pitch and impress further and we might well see some higher offers. This seems to be better than cashing in our chips too early when finances at the club are such as there is no immediate need to sell.
They've consistently performed for half a season (ish) and then impressed at the v9 academy, their price will be inflated a bit because of the academy. We also need to look at the point that coming to Darlo can help you move back into full time football, refusing to sell will hamper player acquisition.

Best result would be sell with clauses both appearance and sell on, and see if we can loan them back for a year :)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Agree that if there is to be an early sale of any of our players that the club must try to get a sell on clause to acknowledge their future potential that will give Darlo a windfall payment. If we can also get a loan back that would be ideal. But again I do think we are inclined to be a bit Darlocentric in believing that we are the only team to have players with potential and to think we can call the shots on a deal when the potential buyer might just as easily move on to another target elsewhere. I would still be a bit wary of cashing in too soon.

And to cover the point raised above about getting a reputation for being a club that will further the ambitions of young players and therefore encourage others to join us, I don't think that holding onto them for a little longer would queer that ambition. What Pears acknowledged last year was that getting playing time in meaningful games is better for the player than disappearing into the shadows of third team football at a higher placed club.
It is, but he is already at a higher club on loan, completely different to being a released player moving to part time football trying to get back.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1643
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:15 pm

ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:Aynsley Pears, Jacob Blyth, Tom Elliot. Now that would be nice.
I reckon it’ll be these three, but I would love Jordan Nicholson though
Looks like a good call Manbun.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6074
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by loan_star » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:55 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:Aynsley Pears, Jacob Blyth, Tom Elliot. Now that would be nice.
I reckon it’ll be these three, but I would love Jordan Nicholson though
Looks like a good call Manbun.
Blyth is injured long term.

ReeceStyche’sManbun
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:53 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:15 pm

With the pending addition of Nicholson we will now have an attack that could possibly be the best in non league, Styche, Ainge, Thompson, Gillies, Syers and Nicholson all of these are more than capable of getting at least 10 goals each in the league

User avatar
divas
Posts: 12900
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by divas » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:11 pm

Callum Roberts (GK) and Nat Wedderburn (MF)

CrazyDarlo
Posts: 729
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:22 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Thirsk

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:21 pm

divas wrote:Callum Roberts (GK) and Nat Wedderburn (MF)
What about them? ;)

Emdubya
Posts: 691
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by Emdubya » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:43 pm

Nicholson deal confirmed on official site.a

Darlofan97
Posts: 4144
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:06 pm

divas wrote:Callum Roberts (GK) and Nat Wedderburn (MF)
If Wedderburn is half as good as the last midfielder that we got from Dunfermline then he would be a good signing.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1643
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:16 pm

Wedderburn left Dunfermline last Monday, so assume is now a free agent. That would be a hell of a signing Divas. He's a defensive midfielder as well.

Quakers83
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by Quakers83 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:40 pm

Nicholson has a solid record at NLN level - hopefully he turns out to be a good signing, and on paper this seems to be a coup by TW.

Wedderburn fits the bill too - left-footed defensive midfielder who can play in numerous positions including centre-half. I’d take either him or Elliot, or perhaps both depending on the situation with Wheatley.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11932
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:04 am

Yes we are a selling club, like just about every other club, but we are in a position now were we don't have to sell for selling sake. If we don't get the right deal for any of our players, then we can reject the offer and keep the players or players for another season. This position does strengthen our hand considerably. Gone are the days when clubs can cherry pick our best players and offer us a poor deal.

jjljks
Posts: 1499
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by jjljks » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:46 am

So just missing a goalkeeper for now, depending on V9 Academy departures. TW seems to have got himself a squad capable of competing with the best in the league. Am actually looking forward to next season, so when can I pick up my season ticket? :thumbup:

Darlofan97
Posts: 4144
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:09 am

jjljks wrote:So just missing a goalkeeper for now, depending on V9 Academy departures. TW seems to have got himself a squad capable of competing with the best in the league. Am actually looking forward to next season, so when can I pick up my season ticket? :thumbup:
And a centre mid to replace Turnbull.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4144
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Goalkeeper due in over this next week apparently. Players return for pre-season training on Saturday.

jjljks
Posts: 1499
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by jjljks » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:55 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
jjljks wrote:So just missing a goalkeeper for now, depending on V9 Academy departures. TW seems to have got himself a squad capable of competing with the best in the league. Am actually looking forward to next season, so when can I pick up my season ticket? :thumbup:
And a centre mid to replace Turnbull.
Wheatley is still with us as far as I know today (20/6/18), so apart from GK the squad has full complement for now. :thumbup:

Darlofan97
Posts: 4144
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:22 am

jjljks wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
jjljks wrote:So just missing a goalkeeper for now, depending on V9 Academy departures. TW seems to have got himself a squad capable of competing with the best in the league. Am actually looking forward to next season, so when can I pick up my season ticket? :thumbup:
And a centre mid to replace Turnbull.
Wheatley is still with us as far as I know today (20/6/18), so apart from GK the squad has full complement for now. :thumbup:
Wheatley isn't a holding midfielder, neither are any of our others (Syers, Hughes & Glover). We need a holding-style central midfielder, we let a very good one go in Phil Turnbull plus Leon Scott and they need replacing with one more addition plus a goalkeeper.

TW has explained around 10 days ago that he wants 3 more, a goalkeeper, a holding centre mid and a forward (Jordan Nicholson). He has 1 of his 3 now so clearly he is going to try and add two more.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11932
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:26 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
jjljks wrote:So just missing a goalkeeper for now, depending on V9 Academy departures. TW seems to have got himself a squad capable of competing with the best in the league. Am actually looking forward to next season, so when can I pick up my season ticket? :thumbup:
And a centre mid to replace Turnbull.
Wheatley is still with us as far as I know today (20/6/18), so apart from GK the squad has full complement for now. :thumbup:
Wheatley isn't a holding midfielder, neither are any of our others (Syers, Hughes & Glover). We need a holding-style central midfielder, we let a very good one go in Phil Turnbull plus Leon Scott and they need replacing with one more addition plus a goalkeeper.

TW has explained around 10 days ago that he wants 3 more, a goalkeeper, a holding centre mid and a forward (Jordan Nicholson). He has 1 of his 3 now so clearly he is going to try and add two more.
So if we're supposed to be signing a winger, that won't fix the holding midfielder problem.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 12900
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by divas » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:21 am

I expect Hughes to be employed in a deeper role next season.

al_quaker
Posts: 5354
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:39 am

I notice Tom Elliott is following Darlo on twitter. Could just be checking up on all his old Nuneaton team mates of course

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1643
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:32 am

My latest guess - Roberts (GK), Elliott (holding mid) Henshaw (Gillies replacement)

Quakerz
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by Quakerz » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:42 am

Is Elliott a holding midfielder?

Why is everyone going on about replacing Turnbull with a holding midfielder? Can we not just play 2 "midfielders".

One of your guesses is definitely joining Darlo.
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

JE93
Posts: 1218
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by JE93 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:23 pm

Quakerz wrote:Is Elliott a holding midfielder?

Why is everyone going on about replacing Turnbull with a holding midfielder? Can we not just play 2 "midfielders".

One of your guesses is definitely joining Darlo.
You need a holding playing in that midfield. If we set up 4-4-2 like it looks that we might. Then we could look something like:

-------------------------------- GK ---------------------------------

Trotman ----- Heaton ----- Galbraith ---- O'Hanlon

Thompson -- Wheatley --- Syers --------- Nicholson

--------------------- Styche ----- Ainge------------------------

From that we know that Styche and Ainge are 2 proper CF's they both want to operate in and around the box. Thompson wants to get forward 1 v 1 with the full back. Looks like Nicholson is the same. Syers likes to make later runs into the box. Wheatley is at his best when given freedom to roam and pick the ball up in pockets of space. And both Trotman and O'hanlon like to bomb on and join in attacks.

That leaves Galbraith and Heaton on the halfway line looking very exposed when we lose the ball high up the pitch. If you swap out Syers for a holding midfielder then you give an extra covering player for the CB's. Can either drop in and play like a 3rd CB or try and play sweeper in the space between CB and midfield.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 12900
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by divas » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:53 pm

Replace Syers with Hughes and you won’t be far away. I expect Wheatley and Hughes to be our first choice central midfield pairing. I know Hughes has had some issues of late but the lad has played 50 times in the league and over 100 times in the National. He’s only mid twenties so he could be a big player for us - I think a few people may get a surprise.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4649
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:30 pm

Quakerz wrote:Is Elliott a holding midfielder?

Why is everyone going on about replacing Turnbull with a holding midfielder? Can we not just play 2 "midfielders".
Depends who the two midfielders are. If it's Syers and Wheatley, probably not because we've seen Syers is weaker when he plays deeper. Replacing Turnbull with a more attacking-minded Syers also, naturally reduces the defensive cover, potentially making the defence more exposed. Hence the talk of a more defensive midfielder being needed.

Don't know enough about Hughes to comment on him.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

darlo2001uk
Posts: 1241
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:10 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:09 pm

divas wrote:Replace Syers with Hughes and you won’t be far away. I expect Wheatley and Hughes to be our first choice central midfield pairing. I know Hughes has had some issues of late but the lad has played 50 times in the league and over 100 times in the National. He’s only mid twenties so he could be a big player for us - I think a few people may get a surprise.
That's assuming Wheatley doesn't move on. Or Trotman. Or Heaton.....

In which case we have a team which is well over 50 per cent new next season.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4144
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:15 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
jjljks wrote:So just missing a goalkeeper for now, depending on V9 Academy departures. TW seems to have got himself a squad capable of competing with the best in the league. Am actually looking forward to next season, so when can I pick up my season ticket? :thumbup:
And a centre mid to replace Turnbull.
Wheatley is still with us as far as I know today (20/6/18), so apart from GK the squad has full complement for now. :thumbup:
Wheatley isn't a holding midfielder, neither are any of our others (Syers, Hughes & Glover). We need a holding-style central midfielder, we let a very good one go in Phil Turnbull plus Leon Scott and they need replacing with one more addition plus a goalkeeper.

TW has explained around 10 days ago that he wants 3 more, a goalkeeper, a holding centre mid and a forward (Jordan Nicholson). He has 1 of his 3 now so clearly he is going to try and add two more.
So if we're supposed to be signing a winger, that won't fix the holding midfielder problem.
This move has probably came about due to the departure of Gillies, Pete.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1643
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:35 pm

Quakerz wrote:Is Elliott a holding midfielder?

Why is everyone going on about replacing Turnbull with a holding midfielder? Can we not just play 2 "midfielders".

One of your guesses is definitely joining Darlo.
OK Quakerz, now that Henshall has joined, is that the one you were talking about?

Quakerz
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by Quakerz » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:51 pm

Yep.
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Post Reply