You are here: darlofc.co.uk » Board index » The Uncovered Forums » Virtual Feethams
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:46 am View unanswered posts | View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:33 am
Posts: 175
Location: Shropshire
Team Supported: Darlington
Henshall has just tweeted Tom Elliott saying ‘see you soon’.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Posts: 1217
Team Supported: Darlington
If that's the case, I'll be well excited. Him and a keeper and it'll be a finished squad.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Posts: 1401
Team Supported: Darlington
Vodka_Vic wrote:
If that's the case, I'll be well excited. Him and a keeper and it'll be a finished squad.

What's his background Adam, cannot find anything on him.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Posts: 3997
Team Supported: Darlington
Think Elliott can play as a '4' or '8', so can play holding as well as box-to-box. Full of energy and technically very good.

Would be delighted if we brought him in to compliment the squad we currently have. Budget permitting.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:33 am
Posts: 175
Location: Shropshire
Team Supported: Darlington
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:
If that's the case, I'll be well excited. Him and a keeper and it'll be a finished squad.

What's his background Adam, cannot find anything on him.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

He joined Nuneaton from Worksop, here's a youtube video of him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecCqD0oKoDk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 pm
Posts: 501
Team Supported: Darlington
Quakerz wrote:
Is Elliott a holding midfielder?

Why is everyone going on about replacing Turnbull with a holding midfielder? Can we not just play 2 "midfielders".


People also seem to be assuming that Tommy wants to play with a holding midfielder, yet he's made it pretty clear that his philosophy is about attacking football, saying he would rather win 4-3 than 1-0. He may see no need for a holding midfielder.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:40 pm
Posts: 661
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlo_CR wrote:
Henshall has just tweeted Tom Elliott saying ‘see you soon’.

Are you sure? I can't find any such tweet.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Posts: 7784
Location: Liverpool
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlofan97 wrote:
Think Elliott can play as a '4' or '8', so can play holding as well as box-to-box. Full of energy and technically very good.


When did people start talking about positions in football as numbers - I genuinely thought that centre backs were often number 4? Anyway full of energy as his most notable attribute makes me think of Greg “he runs a lot” Blundell.

Is he the type who takes a player (or two) on, the type that sits of and sweeps up in the midfield, is he he type who always makes himself available for the short pass so sets the pace of the game or does he receive it and look to switch it quickly out wide. Does he burst into the box late and finish or does he tend to hang further back?

I am expecting that Hughes was brought in with a view to playing him in the starting XI. He doesn’t strike me as a back up signing. So Hughes / Wheatley makes for a logical centre midfield pairing.

If we wanted to shut up shop in a game doesn’t Ainge just move to CB and Collins becomes either the third CB or can move up behind the CM - I was undenthr impression he could play CM as well as CB - Galbraith has similar capability? Ainge’s ability to play both is borderline a free substitution!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 1004
Team Supported: Darlington
Yarblockos wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
Is Elliott a holding midfielder?

Why is everyone going on about replacing Turnbull with a holding midfielder? Can we not just play 2 "midfielders".


People also seem to be assuming that Tommy wants to play with a holding midfielder, yet he's made it pretty clear that his philosophy is about attacking football, saying he would rather win 4-3 than 1-0. He may see no need for a holding midfielder.


He said in the echo bout a week ago he was looking for a holding midfielder:

He added: “We want a goalkeeper, another central midfielder, a holding type, and another forward, so I’m anticipating another three."

The forward at the time was Nicholson. So Just waiting in the CM and Goalkeeper now.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Posts: 20959
Team Supported: Darlington
lo36789 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
Think Elliott can play as a '4' or '8', so can play holding as well as box-to-box. Full of energy and technically very good.


When did people start talking about positions in football as numbers - I genuinely thought that centre backs were often number 4?


Most of the time, traditionally the centre midfielders would be 4 & 8, with the wingers 7 & 11. The centre backs 5 & 6. Only occasionally would you see centre backs as 4 & 5 and centre midfielders as 6 & 8

The most regular time you'd see a centre back with a number 4 shirt would be if 3 centre halves were deployed and you'd have 4, 5 & 6 but sometimes 5, 6 & 11.

_________________
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Posts: 7784
Location: Liverpool
Team Supported: Darlington
Quakerz wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
Think Elliott can play as a '4' or '8', so can play holding as well as box-to-box. Full of energy and technically very good.


When did people start talking about positions in football as numbers - I genuinely thought that centre backs were often number 4?


Most of the time, traditionally the centre midfielders would be 4 & 8, with the wingers 7 & 11. The centre backs 5 & 6. Only occasionally would you see centre backs as 4 & 5 and centre midfielders as 6 & 8

The most regular time you'd see a centre back with a number 4 shirt would be if 3 centre halves were deployed and you'd have 4, 5 & 6 but sometimes 5, 6 & 11.


Soooo in the 4 & 8 in midfield scenario what sets them apart?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Posts: 20959
Team Supported: Darlington
Well, one has a number 4 shirt, and one has a number 8 shirt.

_________________
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Posts: 20959
Team Supported: Darlington
Piss taking aside, the number 4 would generally be the more defensive minded/playmaker type midfielder. The 8 would be more the runner.

_________________
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Posts: 7784
Location: Liverpool
Team Supported: Darlington
Haha I am being deliberately obtuse...I always think describing a player as a number is a bit rugby.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 11415
Team Supported: Darlington
Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
Darlo_CR wrote:
Henshall has just tweeted Tom Elliott saying ‘see you soon’.

Are you sure? I can't find any such tweet.
It's on there, but Elliott seems to have his tweets hidden.

But then Ashley Chambers also said "see you in the season", so it could just be that he'll see him when they play each other.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Posts: 2190
Team Supported: Darlington
Elliott is now reported to have left Nuneaton.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Posts: 20959
Team Supported: Darlington
It was mentioned a couple of weeks ago on their forum that he had left

_________________
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Posts: 3997
Team Supported: Darlington
Centre half to replace Josh Heaton set to be announced today.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Posts: 1026
Team Supported: Darlington
Nearly choked on my cornflakes when i saw in non- league news that Tommy Wright signed for Carlisle Utd as Assistant Manager. Turns out that contrary to the Tin Shed chant, there is more than one Tommy Wright
:o :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Posts: 11069
Location: Darlington
Team Supported: Darlington
Jacob Blyth signed for Barrow.

_________________
18/19 Season:
LDWDLDLWD


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Posts: 1522
Team Supported: Darlington
For me only 1 or 2 movements and I’d be delighted. I’m yet to be convinced by Collins or Caton but I’m willing to see how they get on (although I won’t get the pitchforks out like some of our fans). Maybe awaiting the holding midfielder. Still completely unsure about what formation we are going with


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Posts: 2311
Team Supported: Darlington
Collins is a good defender for us.. He has been playing with an injury most of the season so hopefully this season we will see he is worthy of his place..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:40 pm
Posts: 1257
Team Supported: Darlington
lo36789 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
Think Elliott can play as a '4' or '8', so can play holding as well as box-to-box. Full of energy and technically very good.


When did people start talking about positions in football as numbers - I genuinely thought that centre backs were often number 4? Anyway full of energy as his most notable attribute makes me think of Greg “he runs a lot” Blundell.

Is he the type who takes a player (or two) on, the type that sits of and sweeps up in the midfield, is he he type who always makes himself available for the short pass so sets the pace of the game or does he receive it and look to switch it quickly out wide. Does he burst into the box late and finish or does he tend to hang further back?

I am expecting that Hughes was brought in with a view to playing him in the starting XI. He doesn’t strike me as a back up signing. So Hughes / Wheatley makes for a logical centre midfield pairing.
Re 3 at the back.
Better to hold off opposition in midfield, rather than in the box? Tommy said what he wanted, so I suppose he is sticking to his stated aims. Ainge will probably feature as an emergency centre back when we are grimly holding on to 1 or 3 points.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:17 pm
Posts: 1168
Team Supported: Darlington
Maddison
Trotman
O'Hanlon
Galbraith
Burn
Thompson
Wheatley
Hughes/Syers/Nicholson?
Henshall
Ainge
Styche

Is that what we are thinking will be the starting line up if the season started tomorrow?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 11415
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlobaz79 wrote:
Maddison
Trotman
O'Hanlon
Galbraith
Burn
Thompson
Wheatley
Hughes/Syers/Nicholson?
Henshall
Ainge
Styche

Is that what we are thinking will be the starting line up if the season started tomorrow?
I expect so. Maybe Collins in at the back and I expect Hughes gets the nod alongside Wheatley - based on his background higher up the leagues.

Can't see Syers in a central two but who knows.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am
Posts: 147
Team Supported: Darlington
Spyman wrote:
Darlobaz79 wrote:
Maddison
Trotman
O'Hanlon
Galbraith
Burn
Thompson
Wheatley
Hughes/Syers/Nicholson?
Henshall
Ainge
Styche

Is that what we are thinking will be the starting line up if the season started tomorrow?
I expect so. Maybe Collins in at the back and I expect Hughes gets the nod alongside Wheatley - based on his background higher up the leagues.

Can't see Syers in a central two but who knows.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Galbraith was very good at CB last season, and I suspect Burn has been brought in to partner him. Notwithstanding any injuries I can see Galbraith-Burn as the two preferred options.

For me, my team would be (4-4-2) - Maddison; Trotman, Burn, Galbraith, O’Hanlon; Thompson, Hughes, Wheatley, Nicholson; Styche, Ainge.

I think probably the biggest question would be the formation that TW utilises. We often used a 4-2-3-1/4-5-1 last season, with Wheatley and Turnbull as the midfielders, Syers playing behind Styche and two wide-midfielders in Thompson and Gillies. This time around though we have another goalscorer to partner Styche which we were crying out for last season.

It wouldn’t surprise me if TW tried 3-5-2 in pre-season - the personnel that we have now probably suits this system more than previous as we have a bit more balance and energy. Something like a back-three of Collins, Burn and Galbraith, Trotman and O’Hanlon as the wing-backs, two centre-midfielders in Wheatley and Hughes, and Nicholson in behind Styche and Ainge.

The problem with that is you probably need a fully-fit squad, especially the back-line to keep injury-free, and it’s difficult to find a place for Thompson.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Posts: 20959
Team Supported: Darlington
Thompson was POTY for me last year, we'll have to shoehorn him in somehow. It's then up to the others to prove they're better than him and displace him.

I'd stick with the 4-4-2 initially (similar to the 4-5-1 but with Ainge starting in place of Syers), that way we can fit Thompson in.

But then what of Syers? Does he deserve to be dropped based on his form in the 2nd half of last season?

Nice problem to have though, and to be fair most of our line up conundrums are based on a fully fit and available squad - think we'll find that once we're into the season and we have injuries and suspensions, then the line up each week will be more obvious depending on availability.

_________________
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am
Posts: 147
Team Supported: Darlington
Agreed, I think the key this season is that we’re going to have a much smaller squad, probably around 18 supplemented with players such as Vaulks, Glover and Saunders, which means that it’ll reduce the chance of players missing out.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see players such as Vaulks and Saunders loaned-out throughout the season to bring on their development.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 11415
Team Supported: Darlington
Quakers83 wrote:
Agreed, I think the key this season is that we’re going to have a much smaller squad, probably around 18 supplemented with players such as Vaulks, Glover and Saunders, which means that it’ll reduce the chance of players missing out.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see players such as Vaulks and Saunders loaned-out throughout the season to bring on their development.
Exactly - with the squad we have I can't see many being short of game time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am
Posts: 147
Team Supported: Darlington
Spyman wrote:
Quakers83 wrote:
Agreed, I think the key this season is that we’re going to have a much smaller squad, probably around 18 supplemented with players such as Vaulks, Glover and Saunders, which means that it’ll reduce the chance of players missing out.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see players such as Vaulks and Saunders loaned-out throughout the season to bring on their development.
Exactly - with the squad we have I can't see many being short of game time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Definitely, long were the days of having a squad of 21-22 senior players, and having 3-4 of them sat in the stands on match-day.

The squad that we have at the moment is about right IMO, and it’s well supplemented by young players who won’t be on a great deal.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group