Jonny Maddison - New GK

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

AndyPark
Team Supported: Darlington

Jonny Maddison - New GK

Post by AndyPark » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:39 am

Signed permanently from Yeovil Town.

MinistryOfSillyWalks

Re: Jonny Maddison - New GK

Post by MinistryOfSillyWalks » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:51 am

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:52 am

he's torn up his contract with Yeovil to sign for us - fair play to the lad - he obviously just wants to play football and he's from our region. Looks like a good signing to me.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:15 pm

Looks like he was perhaps involved in the first team towards the end of the season and got a bit of a taste for first team football.

Lets hope he fits in well and makes the position his own.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:39 pm

I have to say, i'm very impressed with the signings so far this year. Guys with ambition, wanting to play every week, and crucially the right age so they might be sold on for profit at a later date. Great stuff from TW :clap:

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:11 pm

Spyman wrote:Looks like he was perhaps involved in the first team towards the end of the season and got a bit of a taste for first team football.

Lets hope he fits in well and makes the position his own.
Think you are spot on with that assessment. Not the finished product but young and skilled enough to give Andy Collett something to work with. On paper, looks like a good signing & a welcome addition to the squad which seems almost complete. :clap:

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:09 pm

H1987 wrote:I have to say, i'm very impressed with the signings so far this year. Guys with ambition, wanting to play every week, and crucially the right age so they might be sold on for profit at a later date. Great stuff from TW :clap:
TW is a real wheeler dealer, he appears to have done a great job in the market.My only worry is the travel for players but have to say most dont seem to be bothered by it.

If they are ambitious I suppose they can see a good route through Darlo now as we must be getting a reputation.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:30 pm

Seems like another good signing by TW. Another one at a good age that we can hopefully develop further.

Now for that central midfielder and our squad will be complete.

Will certainly be interesting to see if James Caton attends training on Saturday. Missing from the awards night in May, missing for the first session back last Saturday....

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:20 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Seems like another good signing by TW. Another one at a good age that we can hopefully develop further.

Will certainly be interesting to see if James Caton attends training on Saturday. Missing from the awards night in May, missing for the first session back last Saturday....
He is on holiday in Turkey and he tweeted about a boot camp so obviously getting fit so let's give him a chance

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:28 pm

Well if he doesn't attend training you'd assume that was breach of contract after a point.

But no reason to think he won't so let's hope he can make a contribution this season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:34 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:Seems like another good signing by TW. Another one at a good age that we can hopefully develop further.

He is on holiday in Turkey and he tweeted about a boot camp so obviously getting fit so let's give him a chance
Personally feel as though he has had his chance and we can't afford to carry passengers next season.

It's a tough ask for him to break in to the side with Nicholson & Henshall ahead of him for that left-wing position.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:34 pm

Another signing which, on paper, looks a good one. Glad we've got a permanent keeper in

The squad has undergone more extensive modifications than I imagined this summer, but, at this stage at least, it looks like an impressive off season

shawry

Post by shawry » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:40 pm

Spyman wrote:Well if he doesn't attend training you'd assume that was breach of contract after a point.

But no reason to think he won't so let's hope he can make a contribution this season.

I'd guess TW has said he doesn't need to attend and he can find himself a club.

If he knows he isn't going to get a look in there's little point him wasting his own time and TWs by coming to training

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:17 am

shawry wrote:
Spyman wrote:Well if he doesn't attend training you'd assume that was breach of contract after a point.

If he knows he isn't going to get a look in there's little point him wasting his own time and TWs by coming to training

He's on holiday, unless you expect him to fly in for training. We've had it after season has started before. Nowt like over analysing things.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:34 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
shawry wrote:

He's on holiday, unless you expect him to fly in for training. We've had it after season has started before. Nowt like over analysing things.
The date when pre-season training due to start was well known, so why book holidays then?
Hardly demonstrates any commitment to the club, forethought or planning on Caton's part.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:58 am

jjljks wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
shawry wrote:

The date when pre-season training due to start was well known, so why book holidays then?
Hardly demonstrates any commitment to the club, forethought or planning on Caton's part.[/quote

No on ever said that about other, more popular players like Brown, Scott or Thommo, when they had holidays during previous seasons.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:04 am

My opinion wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Hardly demonstrates any commitment to the club, forethought or planning on Caton's part.
No on ever said that about other, more popular players like Brown, Scott or Thommo, when they had holidays during previous seasons.

Was just about to say that - I think (could be wrong) Thompson and Turnbull missed parts of pre season last year for holiday

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:06 am

My opinion wrote:
jjljks wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
shawry wrote:

Hardly demonstrates any commitment to the club, forethought or planning on Caton's part.[/quote

Yes but they were true part time players not on a lot of money at the start, with day jobs. Day job holidays take preference.

Whereas Caton, does he have a day job? Does it pay more than his football?

Once the football starts paying more than the day job, or if football is the only job then players can no longer have an excuse to take holidays during pre-season IMO.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:48 am

I hear what you are saying Q and you are right in as much as some of the lads will have tied holiday times. However, they are all semi professional and the same rules must apply. If it's good enough for Thommo, Scott and Brown it should be also ok for Caton
It's just that Canton is nearly everyone's bad boy at the moment... I am willing to give him a clean break and see how he starts the season. The lad is clearly a good footballer and on his day he was worth his place in the team.
Let's see how the season starts, I'm sure after a few games others other than Caton will be receiving some stick from certain members of our support.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:43 am

Other players have done it before, i really don't see it as an issue at this level, he's entitled to holiday, and i'm sure it was agreed with TW rather than him just not showing up.

If no one comes in for him, i'm sure he'll be given another crack.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:44 am

Exactly, you cant have one rule for Caton then let others have holidays during preseason or even during the season. Thompson, Brown, Scott and Turnbull have all missed games for holidays and for reasons not associated with their day jobs. Plus Caton obviously hasnt gone away on his own so may have been tied to the dates his other half could get off work.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:06 pm

You can't expect players at our level to only take holidays in the off season. I seem to remember Gary Brown used to be unavailable for the team during the Cheltenham Festival.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:08 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:You can't expect players at our level to only take holidays in the off season. I seem to remember Gary Brown used to be unavailable for the team during the Cheltenham Festival.
I think you've made that up, Pete.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:32 pm

I think he was injured but I do recall he went as well.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:19 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:You can't expect players at our level to only take holidays in the off season. I seem to remember Gary Brown used to be unavailable for the team during the Cheltenham Festival.
He goes every year and he did miss a game a few years back because of it.. Entitled to hols like everyone

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:55 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
He goes every year and he did miss a game a few years back because of it.. Entitled to hols like everyone

Please check, because he never has missed a match for Cheltenham! Gray wouldn't allow it.

I remember him missing the Guisborough game in 2012 when we got hammered 4-1! But that was booked prior to signing for Darlington in the summer, IIRC.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:55 pm

Last edited by HarrytheQuaker on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:55 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

Please check, because he never has missed a match for Cheltenham! Gray wouldn't allow it.

I remember him missing the Guisborough game in 2012 when we got hammered 4-1! But that was booked prior to signing for Darlington in the summer, IIRC.
Sorry I'm wrong