Dave Mills

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, botrash, charlie, uncovered

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2568
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:23 pm

Jake Hibbs from Halifax won the 2016 Fa Trophy cracking signing

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2568
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:14 pm

Rob Atkinson Central defender from Guiseley.. You can tell I'm bored traveling down from Scotland on the train..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Darlo-and-Back
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:40 pm

boorman wrote:He used to teach me at secondary school - he's a very good man. His love for the club was absolutely genuine. There's no doubt in my mind that something pretty bad must have happened to him at Darlo for him to make the decision to leave and then work elsewhere. He wouldn't have done this lightly.

The club ran out of cash on his watch. That’s your explanation

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 5935
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by loan_star » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:31 pm

Darlo-and-Back wrote:
boorman wrote:He used to teach me at secondary school - he's a very good man. His love for the club was absolutely genuine. There's no doubt in my mind that something pretty bad must have happened to him at Darlo for him to make the decision to leave and then work elsewhere. He wouldn't have done this lightly.

The club ran out of cash on his watch. That’s your explanation
Lack of home games caused that.
Given what we know about Gray being demanding, I can imagine it was a very tough time to be in charge of the club.
Still no reason to rock up at Spendy though.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4342
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:25 pm

Why can't he rock up at Spenny? If that's his choice, there's nothing wrong with that and he doesn't need to explain himself.

At least he volunteered at the time, receiving a tonne of grief in the process. He's done far more for Darlington than the majority posting on here.

It's arrogant to assume we should have a monopoly on him offering his services to us.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo-and-Back
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:29 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlo-and-Back wrote:
boorman wrote:He used to teach me at secondary school - he's a very good man. His love for the club was absolutely genuine. There's no doubt in my mind that something pretty bad must have happened to him at Darlo for him to make the decision to leave and then work elsewhere. He wouldn't have done this lightly.

The club ran out of cash on his watch. That’s your explanation
Lack of home games caused that.
Given what we know about Gray being demanding, I can imagine it was a very tough time to be in charge of the club.
Still no reason to rock up at Spendy though.
Overspending not delayed games caused it.

oilyman
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:36 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by oilyman » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:52 pm

If you where asked by the man running the football team for more funds at a time when money was very tight,and you refused him !then that same man went above your head without your knowledge and was granted the funds without your consultation,would your health not suffer??.he did a good job for us ,should be left alone.?

oilyman
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:36 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by oilyman » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:52 pm

If you where asked by the man running the football team for more funds at a time when money was very tight,and you refused him !then that same man went above your head without your knowledge and was granted the funds without your consultation,would your health not suffer??.he did a good job for us ,should be left alone.?

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 5935
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by loan_star » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:38 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Why can't he rock up at Spenny? If that's his choice, there's nothing wrong with that and he doesn't need to explain himself.

At least he volunteered at the time, receiving a tonne of grief in the process. He's done far more for Darlington than the majority posting on here.

It's arrogant to assume we should have a monopoly on him offering his services to us.
I know if I had time to volunteer for a football team it wouldn’t be one that considers itself our main rival. It’s just strange that a Darlo fan should do that in my opinion, and that of others.
However if you want to take the opposite view then feel free.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4342
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:03 pm

Thanks for your permission, but there's nothing strange about it whatsoever.

Seemingly something has changed Dave Mills' mind on offering his services to us. What that is, only he'll know. If he has decided he doesn't want to work with Darlington (not saying he has, but it's definitely a possibility), I think that says more about Darlington FC than Dave Mills to be honest. Shock horror, maybe it wasn't/isn't the wonderful, lovely fan-run utopia some fans pretend it is.

Nor are Darlington fans obliged to be volunteers/work for only Darlington FC. I don't see you getting on Dan King's back at NUFC about why he's not offering his services in his spare time for us. Or Rob Parrish at Goal.

Personally I think your opinion is the kind of tribal nonsense football can do without, and we should let him get on without questioning his motives.

P.S - why are people so insecure that they have to say "it's not just my opinion" or "in my opinion, and that of others"? If you have an opinion, back it up and defend yourself. Don't hide behind other people - it suggests you're weak and don't have confidence in your own opinion, so need the justification of others. It's a poor debating strategy.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 5935
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by loan_star » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:13 pm

Darlogramps wrote: P.S - why are people so insecure that they have to say "it's not just my opinion" or "in my opinion, and that of others"? If you have an opinion, back it up and defend yourself. Don't hide behind other people - it suggests you're weak and don't have confidence in your own opinion, so need the justification of others. It's a poor debating strategy.
Because there are some people on here who like to try and stir arguments up because they don’t agree with that opinion. Pointing out that there are others with the same opinion is just a way to show that this point of view is not just mine.
Saying feel free to take the opposite view is a way drawing a line under it so that another thread doesn’t go pear shaped.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4342
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:23 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote: P.S - why are people so insecure that they have to say "it's not just my opinion" or "in my opinion, and that of others"? If you have an opinion, back it up and defend yourself. Don't hide behind other people - it suggests you're weak and don't have confidence in your own opinion, so need the justification of others. It's a poor debating strategy.
Because there are some people on here who like to try and stir arguments up because they don’t agree with that opinion. Pointing out that there are others with the same opinion is just a way to show that this point of view is not just mine.
Imagine debating and arguing with someone you don't agree with. What a shocking concept.

All I'm saying is have confidence in your own arguments, rather than this unusual appeal to authority (to me, all you're saying is "multiple people hold this view, therefore it carries greater legitimacy", which is nonsense). It's a typical Darlo_Pete tactic, and you're better than that.

Back on topic, I also take issue with the idea that Spennymoor are one of our "main rivals". They are not our rivals, let alone our main rivals.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 5935
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by loan_star » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:26 pm

There’s debating and there’s spoiling for an argument.
However I did say that they consider themselves to be our rivals. I don’t consider them rivals other than being just another team in our league that happens to be close by.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4342
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:32 pm

loan_star wrote:There’s debating and there’s spoiling for an argument.
No there isn't. There's nothing wrong with being opinionated and argumentative. For some reason, some on here feel threatened by that.
loan_star wrote: However I did say that they consider themselves to be our rivals. I don’t consider them rivals other than being just another team in our league that happens to be close by.
Well at least you agree with me on something.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 5935
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by loan_star » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:53 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:There’s debating and there’s spoiling for an argument.
No there isn't. There's nothing wrong with being opinionated and argumentative. For some reason, some on here feel threatened by that.
loan_star wrote: However I did say that they consider themselves to be our rivals. I don’t consider them rivals other than being just another team in our league that happens to be close by.
Well at least you agree with me on something.
It’s ok to disagree but going on and on about something is monotonous and spoils threads for others who don’t give a toss either way.
Also I had consistently said I don’t consider Spendy to be rivals other than being in our division, I would consider them to be the footballl equivalent of a yappy dog seeking attention.
Last edited by loan_star on Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4342
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:54 pm

It takes two to tango....
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 5935
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by loan_star » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:58 pm

Well you do have a reputation for it, you seem to have quite a few disagreements with other board users.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4342
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:09 pm

Only you and MyOpinion really. Most people I get on fairly respectfully with. You two are the only ones I repeatedly get into long bitchfests with. So am I really the only one to blame? Not really.

Anyway you yourself have said you don't want this thread going pear-shaped so don't start with another boring, repetitive criticism of me. If you want monotonous, there's a great example.

If you want to do that, send me a DM. If you want to debate the natural discussion points (I.e. your suggestion that it's unusual for Dave Mills to go to another club) then keep this thread on topic.

If you choose to reply in this thread by having another dig about me, then we'll know you're more interested in point-scoring against me.

So back on topic, there's nothing strange whatsoever about Dave Mills' decision to go to Spennymoor. I met him a couple of times when he was with us and he was a great bloke. Friendly and dedicated to the club. Whatever went on can't have been positive. As I said, it's more reflective of the club than Dave Mills.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 5935
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by loan_star » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:29 pm

To be fair until you came along that’s all I was discussing on here.
As for Dave Mills I know him far better than a couple of chats and have loads of time for the man but I would say the same to his face that I think it’s odd him going there.
It’s a shame he either doesn’t want any involvement at DFC or isn’t wanted at DFC.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4342
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:19 am

loan_star wrote:To be fair until you came along that’s all I was discussing on here..
Yep, and to be fair you then chose to take it off topic when I disagreed with you. Keep it on topic and everyone is happy.
loan_star wrote: As for Dave Mills I know him far better than a couple of chats and have loads of time for the man but I would say the same to his face that I think it’s odd him going there.
It’s a shame he either doesn’t want any involvement at DFC or isn’t wanted at DFC
.
Don't see why you've made it a competition as to who knows him best (or at least that's how it comes across). We both agree that he's a big Darlo fan who's done a lot for the club.

But there's nothing odd about him deciding what he wants to do with his own time. I really don't see what's strange or odd about it at all.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 5935
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by loan_star » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:14 am

Actually you will find that you took it off topic first with your PS comment.
As for making it a competition, do me a favour! I was just pointing out how well I know Dave and that I would have no issue saying what I have said on here to his face.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4342
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:01 am

loan_star wrote:Actually you will find that you took it off topic first with your PS comment.
As for making it a competition, do me a favour! I was just pointing out how well I know Dave and that I would have no issue saying what I have said on here to his face.
ImageImageImage
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11359
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:07 am

Disappointed to hear this news, I'd have thought he'd get back involved with Darlo, rather than our closest rivals, but I guess he has his reasons which he is entitled to keep private.

tezza
Posts: 967
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Dave Mills

Post by tezza » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:21 am

David Mills (DM) who did a fine job for Darlington FC, under challenging circumstances, with a particularly challenging individual deserves better than some of the throw away comments being made. This is actually "old news" other than being opted to the board DM, thankfully health recovered has been involved with Spennymoor for some time. Clearly his contribution has been recognised. Perhaps his presence over the last year or so has assisted the relationship between the two clubs officials,? which is in no way reflective of the negative attitudes of some fans, on both sides.

boorman
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:17 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by boorman » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:29 am

Darlo-and-Back wrote:
boorman wrote:He used to teach me at secondary school - he's a very good man. His love for the club was absolutely genuine. There's no doubt in my mind that something pretty bad must have happened to him at Darlo for him to make the decision to leave and then work elsewhere. He wouldn't have done this lightly.

The club ran out of cash on his watch. That’s your explanation
Was he really the man signing off Martin Gray's transfer expenditure? I'm not convinced this was his brief. And when he left I can't recall one person saying "good riddance - it was his fault we ran out of money"... in fact everyone on here who commented on it seemed disappointed and wished him well.

Or am I wrong? Do you know more about the inner workings of this club than I do (quite possible, given I don't live in the region), and can you definitely say he was culpable for us over-extending ourselves in the MG era?

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 5935
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by loan_star » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:13 am

Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:Actually you will find that you took it off topic first with your PS comment.
As for making it a competition, do me a favour! I was just pointing out how well I know Dave and that I would have no issue saying what I have said on here to his face.
ImageImageImage
Strong response that Darlogramps. Eloquent, detailed and intelligent.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4342
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:26 am

If it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 3718
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:27 am

tezza wrote:David Mills (DM) who did a fine job for Darlington FC, under challenging circumstances, with a particularly challenging individual deserves better than some of the throw away comments being made. This is actually "old news" other than being opted to the board DM, thankfully health recovered has been involved with Spennymoor for some time. Clearly his contribution has been recognised. Perhaps his presence over the last year or so has assisted the relationship between the two clubs officials,? which is in no way reflective of the negative attitudes of some fans, on both sides.
Good post.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 5935
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by loan_star » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:33 am

Darlogramps wrote:If it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me.
Oh right. Thanks for clearing that up. Just makes you slightly hypocritical having a pop at me for using a rolling eyes emoji when you dragged me into that thread the other week.

HarryCharltonsCat
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:38 pm

Darlogramps wrote:If it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me.
Dodgy response that.

Post Reply