Sunderland game tonight

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Sunderland game tonight

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:16 am

Couldn't make the game on Saturday against Motherwell, so tonight's my first pre-season friendly that I can make. Should be a good game against a very strong Sunderland side. It's really good that Sunderland agreed to move the game forward 24 hours, to avoid a clash with the England semi-final. Unfortunately the other semi-final is tonight, so that's bound to affect the attendance and the game is no longer all ticket.

en passant

Re: Sunderland game tonight

Post by en passant » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:09 am

Thought that the over 800 crowd on Saturday was a good turnout so maybe a lot fewer tonight should be too much of a disappointment. If we get 400 to 500 that would be pretty good.
On another thought, there has been no word on any potential trialists. No evidence on Saturday that there are plans to bring anyone else in at the moment.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:40 am

No where near 800 on Sunday, we're you there a max of 500, really hope more turn up to the other friendly's all helps with funding the club.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:41 am

onewayup wrote:No where near 800 on Sunday, we're you there a max of 500, really hope more turn up to the other friendly's all helps with funding the club.
752 through the turnstile and 50 in hospitality. DFC gain nothing by overstating a crowd!

polarbear
Team Supported: spennymoor

Post by polarbear » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:01 am

Spennymoor play a full strength Middlesbrough tonight, think we could lose a few fans going to your game, lot of Sunderland fans in Spennymoor.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:50 am

en passant wrote:Thought that the over 800 crowd on Saturday was a good turnout so maybe a lot fewer tonight should be too much of a disappointment. If we get 400 to 500 that would be pretty good.
On another thought, there has been no word on any potential trialists. No evidence on Saturday that there are plans to bring anyone else in at the moment.
I'd have thought that even with the semi-final tonight, we'd get at least a similar crowd tonight, as it's Sunderland's first friendly of the season, it's not far from Sunderland and all there new signings will be playing tonight. Well I'll be there anyway!

offside

Post by offside » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:
onewayup wrote:No where near 800 on Sunday, we're you there a max of 500, really hope more turn up to the other friendly's all helps with funding the club.
752 through the turnstile and 50 in hospitality. DFC gain nothing by overstating a crowd!
Good few from Motherwell which was good to see

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:41 pm

I'd say more Sunderland fans than Darlo fans tonight, Its never floated my boat this fixture TBH

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:37 pm

Can anyone tell me what the car parking cost is tonight please?

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:45 pm

I think it's a fiver which is normal unless you have a car parking pass.

en passant

Post by en passant » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:58 pm

Yes I was there and heard the announcement saying the crowd was 802, hence my ' over 800' comment.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:53 pm

1332 good crowd tonight I would of thought they were expecting at least 1800

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:08 pm

Any score updates?

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:15 pm

Scratch that - quick check on Twatter and I see we're 1-0 up. and holding our own it would seem?

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:20 pm

Won 1-0 great little run out from the lads

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:23 pm

Great result, such a shame to see such a low crowd though. Was always going to be tough up against a world cup semi final though. Should've given Sunderland more tickets probably.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:29 pm

Whole Team played well tonight and had another three good chances. Good entertaining game. Bodes well for the season if they keep this up.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:51 pm

50 years wrote:Whole Team played well tonight and had another three good chances. Good entertaining game. Bodes well for the season if they keep this up.
Agreed, however a few of the lads need to loose some weight , but you can some good footballers out there

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:36 pm

Yeah, there was a fair bit of excess timber out there tonight, but it is only the tenth of July. I reckon Liam Hughes in particular could become a big fans' favourite this season.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:42 am

I thought at times we looked very sharp for game 2 of preseason. Hughes looks very good to me. Could do with losing a little bit of weight, but if he stays fit, he’s our new holding midfielder and did a good job.

The only thing I fear is that I’m not sure what formation Tommy wants to play and what suits the players best. They’ve never played well with 3/5 at the back. He wants to play Ainge and Styche but doesn’t want to play 4-4-2. If he doesn’t play wide men then where does Thompson fit in.

Could be a 4-3-3 like last night started off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:57 am

Great result to have last night. We all know results don't mean much in pre-season but it certainly won't do our lads confidence any harm.

Agree with what those have said above. Couple of players could do with shifting a bit of weight to help with fitness but we seem to have a fairly capable side.

We looked much more solid with 4 at the back. The players knew their roles and in the main we defended well. Credit to Harvey Saunders as well. I was one at the end of last season who was wondering if he had the football brain to go with his pace. But in both friendlies he's been making good runs in behind and took his chance against Motherwell very well. Fingers crossed it's a break through season for him.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:20 am

Fantastic performance last night, thought the whole team played excellently. Have to admit Harvey Saunders looks a completely different player. Spoke to TW after the game and said they'd be sticking with a back 4 and that the team has only been in training for 5 hours, which makes last nights performance even better. Good to see Michael Oliver refereed the game, had a bit of banter with him as they went off at halftime, as I said his wife was a better ref than he was, which made him laugh. Thought the 400 predictions for the crowd were a bit on the low side.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:02 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Fantastic performance last night, thought the whole team played excellently. Have to admit Harvey Saunders looks a completely different player. Spoke to TW after the game and said they'd be sticking with a back 4 and that the team has only been in training for 5 hours, which makes last nights performance even better. Good to see Michael Oliver refereed the game, had a bit of banter with him as they went off at halftime, as I said his wife was a better ref than he was, which made him laugh. Thought the 400 predictions for the crowd were a bit on the low side.
My mate went, said most of the crowd were Sunderland.Good crowd for a friendly though and some welcome cash.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:20 pm

Some of the Sunland fans have gone into meltdown ... "season's a write-off if we cant beat a non-league side" etc etc. Our fans have kept the result in perspective, some of theirs have hit the panic button.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:47 pm

Vokuhila wrote:Yeah, there was a fair bit of excess timber out there tonight, but it is only the tenth of July. I reckon Liam Hughes in particular could become a big fans' favourite this season.
Where exactly is this excess timber?.Apart from Hughes who has obviously got a stone or so he could do without.Styche and Ainge are what they are,well built strong forwards and the rest of them looked in pretty good nick to me.

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:12 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Vokuhila wrote:Yeah, there was a fair bit of excess timber out there tonight, but it is only the tenth of July. I reckon Liam Hughes in particular could become a big fans' favourite this season.
Where exactly is this excess timber?.Apart from Hughes who has obviously got a stone or so he could do without.Styche and Ainge are what they are,well built strong forwards and the rest of them looked in pretty good nick to me.
I was thinking more of Nicholson and O'Hanlon to be honest.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:44 pm

It was noticeable how often Ainge won those high balls up front

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:26 pm

Yeah, I saw a little video on twitter showcasing all of Ainge's many goals since converting to a striker - my god, he looked phenomenal in the air. It just seemed as though all you had to do was get the ball in the box somewhere near his head, and it was in.

The majority of his 30+ goals were headers, many of them I wondered how he even got on the end of them.

The guy looks a beast - I can't wait to see him play live for us.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:35 am

A report on the game last night on Look North, that you can download on BBC i player. Although it was very biased towards Sunderland, talked to Sunderland fans before the game, only showed our goal and then Sunderland attacks. Then only talked to their manager and not TW, still what do we expect from the BBC?

polarbear
Team Supported: spennymoor

Post by polarbear » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:18 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:A report on the game last night on Look North, that you can download on BBC i player. Although it was very biased towards Sunderland, talked to Sunderland fans before the game, only showed our goal and then Sunderland attacks. Then only talked to their manager and not TW, still what do we expect from the BBC?
At least you got a mention v youngsters trialists and lower league players, Spennymoor got nothing v a full strength Boro team