You are here: darlofc.co.uk » Board index » The Uncovered Forums » Virtual Feethams
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:00 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Posts: 2233
Team Supported: Darlington
https://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.com/latest-news/23453/preview-national-league-north-the-battle-for-supremacy/

Southport added to the list of full-timers, Stockport now pretty much full-time, others with money and more training three times a week now.

Not sure I agree with TW when he says: "I don’t think it will be as difficult as last year. With Salford and Harrogate gone, the playing field is a lot more level."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Posts: 1262
Team Supported: Darlington
The standard of this division this season looks to be very high with lots of teams having made impressive looking signings & many teams being full time or effectively full time.

_________________
_________________________________________________________________
Follow me on

Blog: www.spen666.wordpress.com

Twitter: @spen_666


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Posts: 3429
Team Supported: Darlington
With all the new comings and goings I feel like we're stepping into the unknown!

_________________
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:06 pm
Posts: 785
Location: Newton Aycliffe
Team Supported: Darlington
Looking at the opening fixtures, I'd be happy if by the end of August we have 10+ points, it seems like a pretty tough set to begin with. :think:

_________________
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 93
Location: Luton
Team Supported: Newcastle united
When is a team actually classified as fully pro, the line blurs. If a part time team trains say a couple of mornings a week surely the players can't have a regular day job

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Posts: 7791
Location: Liverpool
Team Supported: Darlington
shildonlad wrote:
When is a team actually classified as fully pro, the line blurs. If a part time team trains say a couple of mornings a week surely the players can't have a regular day job

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk


Surely it’s when football is the main earner for all their players and they don’t have any other ‘commitments’ which aren’t trumped by football.

My thought at our level is that a lot of players are now ‘part-time’ as opposed to ‘semi-pro’. The type of jobs our players have aren’t your traditional 9-5 they have schedules which enable them to commit to football as their earnings from it effectively allows it.

I’m not sure we have many teachers or trades left amongst the ranks. We have some trainee accountants, personal trainers and I am not sure what else anymore.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:40 pm
Posts: 666
Team Supported: Darlington
shildonlad wrote:
When is a team actually classified as fully pro, the line blurs. If a part time team trains say a couple of mornings a week surely the players can't have a regular day job

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

I would say the major difference between a full-time and a part-time club is whether they pay their players 52 weeks or 40 weeks of the year.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Posts: 1262
Team Supported: Darlington
shildonlad wrote:
When is a team actually classified as fully pro, the line blurs. If a part time team trains say a couple of mornings a week surely the players can't have a regular day job

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk


I am not sure there is a clear line that can be drawn.

_________________
_________________________________________________________________
Follow me on

Blog: www.spen666.wordpress.com

Twitter: @spen_666


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Posts: 20959
Team Supported: Darlington
We're definitely part time, but last season we had several players on what can only be described as "full time" money, thanks to Gray spending every penny that he could get his hands on.

_________________
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:07 pm
Posts: 1258
Team Supported: Darlington
I was talking to a bloke on holiday and his son currently plays at this level, he told me that a lot of the players are actually on what would be deemed as a full time wage. This also includes a lot of the clubs in the lower reaches of the league.

Apparently we were interested in Worsfield at Gainsborough before he signed a new contract at the club.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Posts: 1262
Team Supported: Darlington
Quakerz wrote:
We're definitely part time, but last season we had several players on what can only be described as "full time" money, thanks to Gray spending every penny that he could get his hands on.



Read today's Non League Paper and Gray claims he was putting his personal money into Darlington to keep the club afloat

_________________
_________________________________________________________________
Follow me on

Blog: www.spen666.wordpress.com

Twitter: @spen_666


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:37 pm 
Online

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 1029
Team Supported: Darlington
spen666 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
We're definitely part time, but last season we had several players on what can only be described as "full time" money, thanks to Gray spending every penny that he could get his hands on.



Read today's Non League Paper and Gray claims he was putting his personal money into Darlington to keep the club afloat


All that screams of is bad management from Grays perspective. He can't work to a budget. He always needs more. Even to the point where he needs to put his own money in to fund his ego.

Much happier with the current financial position of the club. Especially if we can get Catons rumoured wage off the bill.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:08 am
Posts: 181
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo
JE93 wrote:
spen666 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
We're definitely part time, but last season we had several players on what can only be described as "full time" money, thanks to Gray spending every penny that he could get his hands on.



Read today's Non League Paper and Gray claims he was putting his personal money into Darlington to keep the club afloat


All that screams of is bad management from Grays perspective. He can't work to a budget. He always needs more. Even to the point where he needs to put his own money in to fund his ego.

Much happier with the current financial position of the club. Especially if we can get Catons rumoured wage off the bill.
He comes across as if he pretty much saved the club back in the day

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Posts: 7791
Location: Liverpool
Team Supported: Darlington
Funny it never appeared on the financial report as an income and there was only ever an expenditure attributable to Gray.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 8:54 pm
Posts: 59
Team Supported: Darlington
lo36789 wrote:
Funny it never appeared on the financial report as an income and there was only ever an expenditure attributable to Gray.


i think it was the time when 1k donations was thrown in to keep the club going , wasnt just him


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:36 am
Posts: 1461
Team Supported: Darlington
Seventynine wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Funny it never appeared on the financial report as an income and there was only ever an expenditure attributable to Gray.


i think it was the time when 1k donations was thrown in to keep the club going , wasnt just him


I do seem to remember Gray putting in/buying £10000 worth of shares or has my mine finally gone :roll:

_________________
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 93
Location: Luton
Team Supported: Newcastle united
Interesting point r.e.part time players on full time wages. I've heard likes of Dover and Sutton are still classed as part time but have been known to pay league 2/pro team conference wages. Maybe the players do have other jobs on the side and don't get paid close season.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Posts: 12467
Team Supported: Darlington
poppyfield wrote:
Seventynine wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Funny it never appeared on the financial report as an income and there was only ever an expenditure attributable to Gray.


i think it was the time when 1k donations was thrown in to keep the club going , wasnt just him


I do seem to remember Gray putting in/buying £10000 worth of shares or has my mine finally gone :roll:


Martin Gray isn’t a shareholder according to the latest annual return.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Posts: 10979
Team Supported: Darlington
Just because a side is full-time doesn't mean they'll be automatic challengers for top places. There is still scope for a part-time side to come through and upset the odds.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:51 pm
Posts: 1017
Team Supported: Darlington
poppyfield wrote:
Seventynine wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Funny it never appeared on the financial report as an income and there was only ever an expenditure attributable to Gray.


i think it was the time when 1k donations was thrown in to keep the club going , wasnt just him


I do seem to remember Gray putting in/buying £10000 worth of shares or has my mine finally gone :roll:

There were some fans who made those substantial investments in the early days, don’t remember Gray being one of them


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], JE93, robsraiders, The_Ozzman_Cometh and 35 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group