You are here: darlofc.co.uk » Board index » The Uncovered Forums » Virtual Feethams
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:00 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:20 am 

Team Supported: Darlington
https://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.com/latest-news/23453/preview-national-league-north-the-battle-for-supremacy/

Southport added to the list of full-timers, Stockport now pretty much full-time, others with money and more training three times a week now.

Not sure I agree with TW when he says: "I don’t think it will be as difficult as last year. With Salford and Harrogate gone, the playing field is a lot more level."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:36 am 

The standard of this division this season looks to be very high with lots of teams having made impressive looking signings & many teams being full time or effectively full time.

Blog: www.spen666.wordpress.com

Twitter: @spen_666

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:00 am 

With all the new comings and goings I feel like we're stepping into the unknown!

Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:41 am 

Looking at the opening fixtures, I'd be happy if by the end of August we have 10+ points, it seems like a pretty tough set to begin with. :think:

"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:40 pm 

Team Supported: Newcastle united
When is a team actually classified as fully pro, the line blurs. If a part time team trains say a couple of mornings a week surely the players can't have a regular day job

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:20 am 

shildonlad wrote:
When is a team actually classified as fully pro, the line blurs. If a part time team trains say a couple of mornings a week surely the players can't have a regular day job

Surely it’s when football is the main earner for all their players and they don’t have any other ‘commitments’ which aren’t trumped by football.

My thought at our level is that a lot of players are now ‘part-time’ as opposed to ‘semi-pro’. The type of jobs our players have aren’t your traditional 9-5 they have schedules which enable them to commit to football as their earnings from it effectively allows it.

I’m not sure we have many teachers or trades left amongst the ranks. We have some trainee accountants, personal trainers and I am not sure what else anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:27 am 

shildonlad wrote:

I would say the major difference between a full-time and a part-time club is whether they pay their players 52 weeks or 40 weeks of the year.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:16 am 

shildonlad wrote:

I am not sure there is a clear line that can be drawn.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:43 pm 

We're definitely part time, but last season we had several players on what can only be described as "full time" money, thanks to Gray spending every penny that he could get his hands on.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:15 pm 

I was talking to a bloke on holiday and his son currently plays at this level, he told me that a lot of the players are actually on what would be deemed as a full time wage. This also includes a lot of the clubs in the lower reaches of the league.

Apparently we were interested in Worsfield at Gainsborough before he signed a new contract at the club.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:26 pm 

Quakerz wrote:
We're definitely part time, but last season we had several players on what can only be described as "full time" money, thanks to Gray spending every penny that he could get his hands on.

Read today's Non League Paper and Gray claims he was putting his personal money into Darlington to keep the club afloat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:37 pm 

spen666 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:

Read today's Non League Paper and Gray claims he was putting his personal money into Darlington to keep the club afloat

All that screams of is bad management from Grays perspective. He can't work to a budget. He always needs more. Even to the point where he needs to put his own money in to fund his ego.

Much happier with the current financial position of the club. Especially if we can get Catons rumoured wage off the bill.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:41 pm 

Team Supported: Mighty Darlo
JE93 wrote:
spen666 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:

All that screams of is bad management from Grays perspective. He can't work to a budget. He always needs more. Even to the point where he needs to put his own money in to fund his ego.

Much happier with the current financial position of the club. Especially if we can get Catons rumoured wage off the bill.
He comes across as if he pretty much saved the club back in the day

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:54 pm 

Funny it never appeared on the financial report as an income and there was only ever an expenditure attributable to Gray.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:36 pm 

lo36789 wrote:
Funny it never appeared on the financial report as an income and there was only ever an expenditure attributable to Gray.

i think it was the time when 1k donations was thrown in to keep the club going , wasnt just him

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:59 pm 

Seventynine wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

i think it was the time when 1k donations was thrown in to keep the club going , wasnt just him

I do seem to remember Gray putting in/buying £10000 worth of shares or has my mine finally gone :roll:

Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:51 pm 

Team Supported: Newcastle united
Interesting point r.e.part time players on full time wages. I've heard likes of Dover and Sutton are still classed as part time but have been known to pay league 2/pro team conference wages. Maybe the players do have other jobs on the side and don't get paid close season.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:19 am 

poppyfield wrote:
Seventynine wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

I do seem to remember Gray putting in/buying £10000 worth of shares or has my mine finally gone :roll:

Martin Gray isn’t a shareholder according to the latest annual return.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:09 am 

Just because a side is full-time doesn't mean they'll be automatic challengers for top places. There is still scope for a part-time side to come through and upset the odds.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:10 am 

poppyfield wrote:
Seventynine wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

There were some fans who made those substantial investments in the early days, don’t remember Gray being one of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk