Official team photo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Carl Airey
Team Supported: Darlington

Official team photo

Post by Carl Airey » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:59 pm

Just seen the official team photo. I don't think James Caton is in the picture or am I missing something?

The Golden Hairclip

Re: Official team photo

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:43 pm

Martin Gray should do the right thing and make him York’s summer signing 103.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:00 pm

Carl Airey wrote:Just seen the official team photo. I don't think James Caton is in the picture or am I missing something?
It's clear Wright has told him he is not his plans at all. Up to him if he wants to stick around for the cash he is currently on or move somewhere else for a lot less cash but get to play.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:59 am

Carl Airey wrote:Just seen the official team photo. I don't think James Caton is in the picture or am I missing something?
Caton's profile still appears on the main club website, but no new squad photo and none of the photos there show them in their new strips. Ainge not even got a squad photo, so obviously the site needs updating.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:09 am

I still find the website very dull and outdated.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:43 am

The content is alright and new stories are posted fairly regularly.

However, the stories are all out of order - you find the latest article rather than being the first headline it can quite literally be in any random position on the home page - making it a bit of a chew to find the latest article.

That's no good. That's just basics.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:52 pm

AndyPark wrote:I still find the website very dull and outdated.
People don't look on the site they want everything posted including links on hear, I hate that but you and Andy are right the site is awful and out dated

shawry

Post by shawry » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:15 pm

Quakerz wrote:The content is alright and new stories are posted fairly regularly.

However, the stories are all out of order - you find the latest article rather than being the first headline it can quite literally be in any random position on the home page - making it a bit of a chew to find the latest article.

That's no good. That's just basics.
Yup, you need to go to the news area to get them in date order, I'd rather the home page displayed the latest news

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:17 pm

Quakerz wrote:The content is alright and new stories are posted fairly regularly.

This is the only thing for me really. I am not quite sure what the algorithm is that orders the stories.

Everything else is kind of what I expect. What else do people want on the official site it's going to be pretty standard 'official' information about the club.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:12 pm

Must be one of the smallest squad photos we have had for a while? Give or take a couple of absentees, it shows how far we have cut back for, hopefully, quality over quantity.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:12 pm

Hope your right about quality over quantity, but at moment not sure at all.

From what I have seen so far, I think all the new guys have talent but most are not as good as essentially, who they have replaced, which does worry me. Ie. Pears, Heaton, Turnbull, gillies. Not sure Maddison, Burn, Hughes, Nicholson are as good. Not saying they are not decent but for example the spine of our team was Pears, Heaton, Turnbull, Styche. Your not telling me that we are not weaker.

Ainge is obviously going to play as the front guy with support from Styche, Thompson , Saunders etc. Yet Styche changed our season as the main front guy in a front 3. Not sure how he will be, playing off the front guy.

But hey, this is what close seasons are all about and will not really have an idea until after a few “real” games. Hope I,m wrong for sure.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:30 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Hope your right about quality over quantity, but at moment not sure at all.

From what I have seen so far, I think all the new guys have talent but most are not as good as essentially, who they have replaced, which does worry me. Ie. Pears, Heaton, Turnbull, gillies. Not sure Maddison, Burn, Hughes, Nicholson are as good. Not saying they are not decent but for example the spine of our team was Pears, Heaton, Turnbull, Styche. Your not telling me that we are not weaker.

Ainge is obviously going to play as the front guy with support from Styche, Thompson , Saunders etc. Yet Styche changed our season as the main front guy in a front 3. Not sure how he will be, playing off the front guy.

But hey, this is what close seasons are all about and will not really have an idea until after a few “real” games. Hope I,m wrong for sure.
Definitely agree, which is why I emphasise hopefully. Remains to be seen if we have lost influencial players and replaced adequately enough, proof begins in little over a week! :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Wijnhard's_Schlong

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:20 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Hope your right about quality over quantity, but at moment not sure at all.

Not quite sure how you can form an opinion on the abilities of the new lads based on a few meaningless kickabouts. It goes without saying that we will struggle to replace Heaton given his obvious talent so I’d expect us to be slightly weaker at the back if I’m being totally honest. Maddison and Nicholson arrive with very good pedigree though so no concerns there and the weaker defence is more than offset by a marked improvement in our attacking options. We’ll undoubtedly carry a far greater threat this time round which was an obvious weakness for large parts of last season.

In my opinion the biggest cause for concern is not adequately replacing Turnbull. I’ve seen him referred to as a crab since his departure but the fact remains he was incredibly composed on the ball and has arguably been our best footballer in the rise back through the leagues. I’d be happy to be proven wrong but as it stands I think not having him there any more may highlight just how effective he was.

Happy overall though.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:41 am

Agree, people on here who say he is no loss do not understand football I,m afraid!

Easily our best player over last few years. Just ask the players who played with him who is the biggest loss to the team .....they would have him back tomorrow.

Weaker squad and team I,m afraid at a time when others around us have added quality. Totally get that TW has reduced budget but needed to replace 9/10 players with 5 superior in quality and not sure that has happened.

Understand the fan ownership thing but if we were all honest and realistic, we just cannot now compete with manynother clubs even at this level. Would have a benefactor tomorrow and enjoy the ride again rather than accept this is our level for the foreseeable future. A risk worth taking for me. Not that there is one around.!

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:00 am

Quakerlad wrote:Agree, people on here who say he is no loss do not understand football I,m afraid!

Easily our best player over last few years. Just ask the players who played with him who is the biggest loss to the team .....they would have him back tomorrow.

Weaker squad and team I,m afraid at a time when others around us have added quality. Totally get that TW has reduced budget but needed to replace 9/10 players with 5 superior in quality and not sure that has happened.

Understand the fan ownership thing but if we were all honest and realistic, we just cannot now compete with manynother clubs even at this level. Would have a benefactor tomorrow and enjoy the ride again rather than accept this is our level for the foreseeable future. A risk worth taking for me. Not that there is one around.!
Hope you understand football more than the motives of a benefactor.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:07 am

Quakerlad wrote:Agree, people on here who say he is no loss do not understand football I,m afraid!

My god. It's all doom and gloom for you this season isn't it.
I will judge the players and team on what I see on the pitch when the season starts, giving them several games to gel as a team and prove themselves.
On paper, the squad is weaker only because we have fewer players. The individuals that have come in are in my opinion equal and in some cases better than what we had last season.
I must be one of those that you say does not understand football as I would rather move on the player ( however good he may be) than keep him if his head and heart are elsewhere.
I for one am looking forward to the new season starting next week.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:22 am

I don't think you can say we're weaker without watching us play in anger in a league game. I really like the look of Maddison in goal think he looks a good prospect from what I've seen in the friendlies.

Defence of course we will struggle to replace a player of Heatons quality but we've not seen Burn in anger yet. I'm willing to give him a chance. The rest of the back four is the same as what we finished last season with so no stronger or weaker. We've moved on Hunter, Brown and Burgess and Marrs but they rarely played under TW.

In midfield the big loss is Turnbull so good on the ball and gave the full backs the freedom to go any play. But we've kept Wheatley which is a bonus. Thompson will hopefully start the season as he played in the second half last season. And we have swapped Gillies (who split opinions) for Nicholson and Henshall who without seeing them play I can't comment on. If Hughes can give us the same composure in the middle of the park as Turnbull did then in my book we look no weaker in midfield.

Upfront we have definitely improved. Ainge will score goals if we put the ball in the box. Styche will be Styche and looking at the pre season friendlies Harvey's movement has improved 100% he looks a different player.

Arguably the league is weaker. Salford and Harrogate are gone and I don't see anyone with their quality this season.
- Boston look most improved with Margaretts, Arnold and Marriott added to their attacking options.
- Brackley have been weakened losing losing Williams Harrogate and someone else to Solihull Moors.
- Chester have had a major rebuilding job and look solid but haven't signed a striker yet.
- Stockport look solid but have lost Oswell to Morcambe and haven't replaced his goals yet.
- Hereford have lost a lot of their side from being pushed into the north.
- Altrincham might be ones to watch.
- Spenny do seem to have improved their two weakest positions CB and GK but with Atkinson and Curtis at CB there is an obvious lack of pace there. Certainly something to be exploited.
- Blyth look the same as last season, good going forwards no change at the back.
- York made a few good signings in York and Burrow from Gateshead but they haven't improved at the back for my money.
- Chorley I think will suffer from the loss of Matt Jansen to Blackburn U23's. They have been very solid but not scored a lot of goals for the 2 seasons we have been here. If you take away that defensive solidity and don't add goals they may end up sliding down into mid table.

On that basis we can more than compete with what this league has to offer. Get into that playoff lottery and anything can happen. More than happy with our financial position for this season in terms of on and off the field.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:28 am

I'm surprised at the negativity.

Going forwards we look loads stronger having added some real quality - Ainge (great record in this league), Nicholson (L2 last season, 21 goals in 57 games over the least 2 seasons at this level). Henshaw seems a bit of a wild card - but he's bound to be an improvement on Caton. Saunders looks like he's developed over the summer. Going forwards was our weakness last season - if Styche wasn't playing well, we didn't score. That should not be the case this year.

In midfield - Yes Turnbull will be a loss, but last season he struggled a bit, and that could have got worse this season if it was due to age. Hughes looks a good player, and has a lot of experience higher up the pyramid. Wheatley should be better this season. I wouldn't say we are much weaker.

Defensively Heaton will be a massive loss no doubt about it, but Burn is a decent player. Plus if we can keep Collins fit (if) he's a good CB at this level. Pears was superb, but we were never going to get someone as good as him. Maddison has looked decent, and he was playing L2 last season, so I've no concerns about him.

I'm optimistic for the season - I think overall we've got a better team than last year. Smaller squad could be an issue, but we have got cover for every position, and I get the impression Wright is more amenable to the loan market if need be than Gray was. I'd be disappointed if we don't challenge for a playoff spot.

aveda

Post by aveda » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:38 am

Quakerlad wrote: Understand the fan ownership thing but if we were all honest and realistic, we just cannot now compete with manynother clubs even at this level. Would have a benefactor tomorrow and enjoy the ride again rather than accept this is our level for the foreseeable future. A risk worth taking for me. Not that there is one around.!
Massively disagree with this. If this is our level then I fully accept that. I'd rather have a team to watch that occasionally flirts with or gets into the play offs and, hopefully, sometimes gets a cup run to give excitement than risk going bust with a dodgy benefactor. I accept that some benefactors are genuine but a lot aren't and we've been down that road before.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:46 am

Quakerlad wrote:Understand the fan ownership thing but if we were all honest and realistic, we just cannot now compete with manynother clubs even at this level. Would have a benefactor tomorrow and enjoy the ride again rather than accept this is our level for the foreseeable future. A risk worth taking for me. Not that there is one around.!

Visiting oblivion with Singh was such an enjoyable "ride" -
- wasn't it Quakerlad ...
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:33 am

Remember, for the last 15-20 games our form was up among the best in the league, so the squad we finished the season with was performing at the level of the play-offs. I don;t see this team as being any weaker than the side that finished last season. Turnbull is a loss, but I think this side will play with more energy and pace. My only concern is that Ainge isn't the player he was before his injury.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:15 am

aveda wrote:
Quakerlad wrote: Understand the fan ownership thing but if we were all honest and realistic, we just cannot now compete with manynother clubs even at this level. Would have a benefactor tomorrow and enjoy the ride again rather than accept this is our level for the foreseeable future. A risk worth taking for me. Not that there is one around.!
Massively disagree with this. If this is our level then I fully accept that. I'd rather have a team to watch that occasionally flirts with or gets into the play offs and, hopefully, sometimes gets a cup run to give excitement than risk going bust with a dodgy benefactor. I accept that some benefactors are genuine but a lot aren't and we've been down that road before.
It's also entirely moot anyway because there are no benefactors waiting in the wings.

But also, even though we've had a reduction, our budget is still "competitive" in comparison to the rest of the division. It won't be a top five budget, but certainly will be bigger than plenty of other clubs in the division. The idea we're not competitive financially is bollocks.

What strikes me is that Quakerlad isn't arguing for a benefactor. What he's arguing for is for the club to live beyond our means in pursuit of short-term success.

I'm not against a benefactor who would run the club sustainably. But Quakerlad is arguing for something else, for us to spend big (more than we're generating in terms of revenue) to pursue success. That's not sensible in my view and has jeopardised the club's future previously.

By the looks of things, we're more stable financially than at any time since our demotion. A long way from perfect but much better than we have been in the past. This is more important than anything on-the-field for me.

Quakerlad I seem to remember has brought this up before, and presumably will again if we start struggling.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:23 am

I think York have the greatest resources in the division so should really win it this year. Outside of them as in previous seasons the full time sides have done well this year that is Southport, Brackley and Kidderminster (right?).

Chester won’t be any mugs. They have signed Simon Grand, Steven Howson and Scott Burton from Salford so have players who have proven they can win in this league and have topped up with Dan Mooney.

They are the five that I would tip to be up there. Beyond that I think we are as strong as anybody. I think that means I am agreeing with Darlogramps in terms of not top 5.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:50 am

Yes Heaton is an obvious loss, but given we've got Burns, Collins and Vaulks to take his place, I don't think the defence will suffer too much. I'm optimistic of us having a good season as long as we don't pick up any long term injuries.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:02 am

I think we need to pick up a few new players as the season progresses.

With our fundraising efforts/prize money/Legends game surely we have room to manoeuvre.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:07 am

Squad size looks about right to me. I guess we might get the odd loanee in to boost options from the bench, but i'm confident we're going to have a good season this year!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:39 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:I think we need to pick up a few new players as the season progresses.

With our fundraising efforts/prize money/Legends game surely we have room to manoeuvre.
I'm sure TW will have potential signings lined up for every position within the team, but I guess we'll go with what we've got for the first few months and if there are any gaps in the squad before then, we'll look to bring in loanees from the bigger clubs.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:54 pm

Absolutely not saying that we should live above our means, and credit to TW for getting us within budget.

All I am saying is that I believe that many of the clubs around us have strengthened what were already decent squads, whereas us having to reduce budget has, in my opinion, made us weaker than last year, with replacement players not as good as those that finished last season. I agree, I may be proved wrong once the real games start, and hope I am.

This is reality without a benefactor. I hear too many people saying “ we will always be fan owned, even if it means we have reached our level” , “ never want another benefactor owner” etc. All I am saying is let’s not let the fan owned concept strangle us if after due diligence an investor opportunity comes along in the future. Unlikely as it is.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:24 pm

Look back at the last 20 years of DFC history Quakerlad. What more proof do you need to see that the 'benefactor' model is very risky. Benefactors don't = success, quite often they = disaster.

Gretna/Blackburn, I could go on and on and on.

There is a great feeling around our club at present, we are resourceful and positive - I feel that we can achieve 1 or even 2 more promotions set up how we are - so lets crack on.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:30 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Absolutely not saying that we should live above our means, and credit to TW for getting us within budget.

All I am saying is that I believe that many of the clubs around us have strengthened what were already decent squads, whereas us having to reduce budget has, in my opinion, made us weaker than last year, with replacement players not as good as those that finished last season. I agree, I may be proved wrong once the real games start, and hope I am.

This is reality without a benefactor. I hear too many people saying “ we will always be fan owned, even if it means we have reached our level” , “ never want another benefactor owner” etc. All I am saying is let’s not let the fan owned concept strangle us if after due diligence an investor opportunity comes along in the future. Unlikely as it is.
No one has ever ruled out having a single "benefactor" owner.

Just so long as they run us sustainably and sensibly. To pursue the likes of York etc, which is what you've said you want, would require us living beyond our means, regardless of the ownership model.

If a benefactor owner came and had us live within our means (which to me means spending the revenue we make, as opposed to an owner swallowing losses), we'd still have a similar budget.

So I don't see how you can complain we're not competitive, while at the same time want us to live within our means.

I'd much rather grow revenues through increasing crowds, sponsorship, selling on players etc, than place it in the hands of a single owner, who may or may not get bored with us eventually.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY