Legends game

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

en passant
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Legends game

Post by en passant » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:38 pm

Was that Tom Elliott playing as number 7 in the first half? Looked useful.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:52 pm

TFDM wrote:Goals are here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO898bYrDn4

Working on the full highlights here. However we've got five cameras worth of footage to shift through so might take me a little longer than normal.

Brilliant, thanks. :roll:

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:12 pm

en passant wrote:Was that Tom Elliott playing as number 7 in the first half? Looked useful.
Yep believe so.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:20 pm

My highlight was Chris Senior scoring and then celebrating flossing with his young un.. Now he is a Darlo Legend for obvious reasons

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:20 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:My highlight was Chris Senior scoring and then celebrating flossing with his young un.. Now he is a Darlo Legend for obvious reasons
Who's the number 15 who congratulates Senior? Billy Bragg let himself go?
https://youtu.be/QO898bYrDn4?t=191

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:35 pm

biccynana wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:My highlight was Chris Senior scoring and then celebrating flossing with his young un.. Now he is a Darlo Legend for obvious reasons
Who's the number 15 who congratulates Senior? Billy Bragg let himself go?
https://youtu.be/QO898bYrDn4?t=191
Darlo fan who paid to play, Michael Barrass.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:24 pm

Think Aliadiere would be up for signing on? Still looks a player. Enjoyed Okocha's performance too.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:03 am

Okocha's technique was lovely to watch. He's still got it.
Thought when our ex-legends came on that the Premier legends would score a few, but they played really well. Amar was quick!

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:18 am

Bloody hell that Liam Hughes is some unit !!
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:22 am

Who was on the tannoy then? "Jay-Jay O-koo-cha", "Jeremy Alla-deer"
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:47 am

Makka Pakka wrote:Who was on the tannoy then? "Jay-Jay O-koo-cha", "Jeremy Alla-deer"
Probably now the ex-tannoy person, he wasn't that good. :D

Thought the whole afternoon was great and it was fantastic to see some of the old team again. Well done to Marathon Bet for sponsoring the event and the people from Darlo who put it all together.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:19 am

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:45 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Makka Pakka wrote:Who was on the tannoy then? "Jay-Jay O-koo-cha", "Jeremy Alla-deer"

Thought the whole afternoon was great and it was fantastic to see some of the old team again. Well done to Marathon Bet for sponsoring the event and the people from Darlo who put it all together.
I totally agree Pete my negative for the day was the god awful and I mean awful match day announcer I could believe how bad he was announced wrong subs could pronounce names properly TOO loudImageImage

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:46 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Think Aliadiere would be up for signing on? Still looks a player. Enjoyed Okocha's performance too.
I said the same thing worth a look, lets get the lad training with us at least

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:48 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Bloody hell that Liam Hughes is some unit !!
We have got the three biggest arses in the league now Styche,Ainge and Hughes..wow and I say it in the nicest possible way.

bga

Post by bga » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:03 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

I totally agree Pete my negative for the day was the god awful and I mean awful match day announcer I could believe how bad he was announced wrong subs could pronounce names properly TOO loudImageImage
Totally out of order with these comments. I know who he is and he is one of the handful of individuals in the Supporters Group who have kept this Club going. I doubt he will do this for any more games but as usual if no one else steps forward it will as always be left to the few! So volunteer please if you are not happy.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:01 am

bga wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

Totally out of order with these comments. I know who he is and he is one of the handful of individuals in the Supporters Group who have kept this Club going. I doubt he will do this for any more games but as usual if no one else steps forward it will as always be left to the few! So volunteer please if you are not happy.
Does he know that "Geoff" is a knight?
I'm not going to volunteer for that job because I'd be s*** at it.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:01 pm

bga wrote: Totally out of order with these comments. I know who he is and he is one of the handful of individuals in the Supporters Group who have kept this Club going. I doubt he will do this for any more games but as usual if no one else steps forward it will as always be left to the few! So volunteer please if you are not happy.
With respect, just because he's a volunteer doesn't mean people can't say he's not very good at doing the speaker announcements. Being a volunteer doesn't make you immune from criticism.

I wasn't even aware we were in need of someone to do the speaker - maybe I missed a call for volunteers.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:18 pm

Sounds like a job for Harry or Pete, then?

bga

Post by bga » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:44 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
bga wrote: Totally out of order with these comments. I know who he is and he is one of the handful of individuals in the Supporters Group who have kept this Club going. I doubt he will do this for any more games but as usual if no one else steps forward it will as always be left to the few! So volunteer please if you are not happy.
With respect, just because he's a volunteer doesn't mean people can't say he's not very good at doing the speaker announcements. Being a volunteer doesn't make you immune from criticism.

I wasn't even aware we were in need of someone to do the speaker - maybe I missed a call for volunteers.
I think the point here is that this Volunteer, who I believe is a Director of DFCSG puts in many hours a week, 52 weeks of the year (no close season for him and the others). Judge him on that role not a couple of hours during a "fun" friendly on a Sunday afternoon. The other 1360 odd at the game, including myself, took the anouncements with a pinch of salt and in the spirit in which they were intended on fun day for the Club.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:40 pm

bga wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

I think the point here is that this Volunteer, who I believe is a Director of DFCSG puts in many hours a week, 52 weeks of the year (no close season for him and the others). Judge him on that role not a couple of hours during a "fun" friendly on a Sunday afternoon. The other 1360 odd at the game, including myself, took the anouncements with a pinch of salt and in the spirit in which they were intended on fun day for the Club.
I'm allowed an opinion Arnt I? many people were commenting on it, just cos he is a volunteer doesn't mean I can't say anything negative.. I thank him for doing it , I couldn't do it

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:12 pm

I know the game announcer very well and he is not on DFCSG board, he is a volunteer who stepped in to do the job at late notice, so lets give the lad a break please!

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:19 pm

robsraiders wrote:I know the game announcer very well and he is not on DFCSG board, he is a volunteer who stepped in to do the job at late notice, so lets give the lad a break please!
That's fair enough good on him

bga

Post by bga » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:27 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
robsraiders wrote:I know the game announcer very well and he is not on DFCSG board, he is a volunteer who stepped in to do the job at late notice, so lets give the lad a break please!

I stand corrected, thanks for the clarification Rob, he does sound a lot like someone we both know who is on the Board. Thanks again to "A Trialist" announcer I appreciate and enjoyed your work!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:38 pm

bga wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

I stand corrected, thanks for the clarification Rob, he does sound a lot like someone we both know who is on the Board. Thanks again to "A Trialist" announcer I appreciate and enjoyed your work!
I'd just like to echo other fans comments and apologise for my earlier post and any offence it may have caused.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:30 pm

Still got a decent burst of pace too.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:46 pm

I suspect the people who are bothered enough to comment on a matchday announcer are the kind of people who write reviews on tripadvisor which are centred on things which are completely irrelevant.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:17 am

I've never written a review on Trip Advisor. Any other suspicions as to the kind of person I am?
The announcer made us look tin-pot in front of a number of non-Darlo fans. People were laughing at him.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:39 am

I thoroughly enjouyed the day. There was a great vibe, and not even the weather stopped the fun. It was good to see some famous faces, and some much loved ones from the past.

However, i walked away feeling that this was a wasted opportunity financially. There should have been double that attendance. there was little advertising/promotion outside of the existing sphere. It's a painful lesson learnt, but my thoughts are that the commercial side of the club has progressed as far as it can on a voluntary basis. The club needs a full time commercial/marketing manager. Somebody to work on selling advertising space, on increasing the saleable package as a whole. On getting the image ouf the club out there.

The club and supporters group do a decent job as it is and this isn't a dig at the hard work that does get done, but their time limitations are what is holding things back. Lets take the plunge and give someone a fighting chance of generating some valuable pounds.

Before anyone says anything, yes, I have presented this to the club.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:06 pm

I honestly don't know what the situation is with the crowds. I thought we'd be getting around 2,000 now we're back in the town. I know sight lines have been an issue, and i think that game against Halifax where hundreds couldn't see put people off...

Maybe the club should do some promotional games with cheap tickets this season, to try and raise awareness. Curzon would've been a good one. Barely any away fans.

Cheap tickets, advertise it as well as we can (maybe promoted messages on facebook / twitter) and encourage people back. I know we need to have the prices at a certain level to maintain the club in it's current form, but they also don't do much to encourage the floating fan back.