Tom Elliott

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

ReeceStyche’sManbun
Team Supported: Darlington

Tom Elliott

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:45 pm

Was the trialist last night and according to the people who went he looked pretty good, wonder if TW signs him up for the season because at the moment we only have Hughes, Wheatley and Glover. (Yes I know there’s Syers but we don’t know how long he’s injured for)

Darlofan97

Re: Tom Elliott

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:26 pm

Hopefully. He’s a good player with decent experience at this level. Still only young as well (22/23) and was part of the V9 Academy last year.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:05 pm

His name was mentioned on another thread as a possible like for like replacement for Turnbull. Hopefully he impresses. Wonder what's happened to Caton? If he can be moved on, it frees up a wage.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:41 pm

Sure I’d seen on Craig Stoddart’s Twitter that Caton could be gone sooner rather than later. Frees up a wage and we’d get a fee maybe as he’s contracted :D

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:12 pm

He says this Andy "No news, but it won't be long before he's gone apparently".
Would be great to have one in one out.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:27 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:He says this Andy "No news, but it won't be long before he's gone apparently".
Wonder if the club comes to a deal to pay off his contract Adam.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:46 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:He says this Andy "No news, but it won't be long before he's gone apparently".

I don't think we're in the position to pay off his contract, we might as well give him another chance than waste money releasing him. It would be perfect for both parties if we mutually agreed to terminate his contract.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:14 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

I don't think we're in the position to pay off his contract, we might as well give him another chance than waste money releasing him. It would be perfect for both parties if we mutually agreed to terminate his contract.
I’d rather pay him half his contract to bugger off than have him sit tight for the season.But hopefully he wants to play football more than he wants money and walks away.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:42 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

Not perfect for him if he doesn't have employment lined up. Sounds entirely one sided in fact.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:29 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

From what I hear, the relationship between club and player is very sour. Doesn't sound much chance that he'd get another go

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:24 pm

Spyman wrote:
Darlo_CR wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

Not perfect for him if he doesn't have employment lined up. Sounds entirely one sided in fact.

This started as a post about Tom Elliott but seems to have drifted on to discussing James Caton.

The issues apply however to any player who has an unexpired fixed term contract with the club, but whose services are, to a greater or loesser extent, no longer required by the club.

It seems to me that would be unlikely in the extreme for James Caton to agree to any mutual termination of his contract unless part of that agreement includes paying him a lump sum to reflect the loss he will suffer as a result of that termination.

He would be either crazy or very badly advised to accept a mutual termination without a commensurate sum to compensate him unless the existence of the contract with DFC prevents him earning (pretty well) as much, or better elsewhere.

If he gets an offer of a contract on less money then an offer from DFC of a payment which makes up (or a bit more than makes up) the difference might be attractive to him.

Alternatively if he has other things to do with his time then sitting out this contract might well suit him perfectly.

In general terms (though obviously depending on the contract itself) it is pretty much up to him to take whatever option is best for him. All he has to do is fulfil whatever requirements DFC ask him to under the contract.

I do not know if it is part of players' contracts that they put some time in with local scjhools and in the community but he has done at least one school visit in the past (He received thanks for this on his Twiiter time line). If these visits are required under the contract then asking him to do more might be a way of obtaining some value from the period he has left with us.

He does seem to have plenty of work on outside the part time playing contract with DFC though.

According to his Twiiter account he has an unconditional offer to start a degree course in September

https://twitter.com/James_Caton94/statu ... 6682840066

(and good luck to him with that, looks like a very sensible move for someone wanting a career after playing)

and he also has his own clothing business (though I do not know how successful or otherwise that is)

https://twitter.com/James_Caton94?lang=en

As I see it anyone who can rely on income from a continuing contract whilst embarking on a degree course at university would be mad not to do so.

That we (DFC) have an agreement that we are not happy about is our problem. We entered into the agreement voluntarily and with our eyes open so we have to accept and abide by it.

It might therefore be sensible to get whatever value / benefit we can from requiring Mr. Caton to fulfil whatever duties within the contract which might be of benefit to the club until the contract runs its course.

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:35 pm

Anyone heard anymore regarding Elliott? Looked pretty decent in the legends game imo and would be a very useful player for us.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:58 pm

I was told yesterday a deal has already been done. Just a case of it being announced now.

Not sure how credible it is though.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:05 pm

ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:Anyone heard anymore regarding Elliott? Looked pretty decent in the legends game imo and would be a very useful player for us.
Commentators liked him too! Would be a useful addition if we could get him. :thumbup:

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:46 am

Think you’re right Andy, appears to have followed Darlo on Twitter, so it’s looking good for us!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:09 am

He actually started following us a couple of months ago.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:41 am

I do find the Caton thing a bit odd. We don't exactly have a massive squad, so surely if the guy is under contract and being paid, then we should use him in some way.

I think he's clearly got some ability, and certain don't begrudge him a spot on the bench. I guess the issue is that he's probably being paid too much for that sort of role. Which is also limiting our ability to move him on.

He's certainly within his rights to get what he is worth anyway. It's not like a staggeringly rich premier league player digging in and doing nothing, while taking home a fortune. The guy has bills to pay like the rest of us.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:25 pm

H1987 wrote:I do find the Caton thing a bit odd. We don't exactly have a massive squad, so surely if the guy is under contract and being paid, then we should use him in some way.

I think he's clearly got some ability, and certain don't begrudge him a spot on the bench. I guess the issue is that he's probably being paid too much for that sort of role. Which is also limiting our ability to move him on.
I think the issue is more A) his mythical ability is being overstated; B) whatever ability he has was rarely demonstrated so it's pointless persevering with him; and C) evidently TW doesn't see a future, be that because of ability, work ethic or attitude.

The guy is a dud and people need to stop clinging to the idea this supposed "ability" which he sort of demonstrated for a game and a half last season will come good. In 95% of games, he offered nothing.

The sooner he's out of the club, the better for both parties.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:55 pm

H1987 wrote:I do find the Caton thing a bit odd. We don't exactly have a massive squad, so surely if the guy is under contract and being paid, then we should use him in some way.

He's certainly within his rights to get what he is worth anyway. It's not like a staggeringly rich premier league player digging in and doing nothing, while taking home a fortune. The guy has bills to pay like the rest of us.
Do you want Caton to stay all season and continue collecting the full amount?

Getting him back in the squad would make him more inclined to just see the season out, out of the squad I guess the belief he will cut some losses and make a move to where he is involved playing.

It's not the best options but that is the choice for Wright, trying and force Caton's hand and use the budget on someone who offers more in Wright's mind seems to be his decision.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:02 pm

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:17 pm

al_quaker wrote:
And Caton due to leave on loan too http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/l ... ref=twtrec
Klopp's spending spree continues!

Elliott sounds like a good prospect - the fact he's been on trial with league clubs suggests we might have found another who could attract interest and a fee in the future if he does well here.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:27 pm

I've only seen Elliott in the legends game, so it's almost impossible to draw any conclusions from that, but he looked a busy player who's style of play will compliment our other CMs well.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:27 pm

If I was a betting man.... Warrington Town for Caton.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:40 pm

Hopefully he can cover RB too. Pretty happy with that squad now.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:10 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:If I was a betting man.... Warrington Town for Caton.
No chance of him going to York then? MG must have been very keen on him previously so the fee would be instead of the friendly we were promised :lol:

TW looks to have secured a very useful player in Elliott, capable of providing quality crosses and with good skills to create chances. Just what our forwards should thrive on! Welcome to the club, Tom.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:42 pm

divas wrote:Hopefully he can cover RB too. Pretty happy with that squad now.
We only have 6 defenders, one being a 19 year old youth, one being permanently injured, and one often injured.

I'd say we need 2 defenders.

I know Elliot can cover right back, I know Ainge can drop into defence, but that's not ideal.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:53 pm

Quakerz wrote:
We only have 6 defenders, one being a 19 year old youth, one being permanently injured, and one often injured.

I know Elliot can cover right back, I know Ainge can drop into defence, but that's not ideal.
We need to be realistic in terms of how far the budget can stretch though.

An additional defender or two would be ideal, but we are where we are. The already slashed budget is more than likely maxed-out. We have a solid squad number of 19, including Bancroft, Vaulks, Glover and Saunders.

There’ll be parts of the season where we’ll have square-pegs in round-holes, but it’ll be a stark contrast to the start of last season whereby we had 3/4 senior players sat in the stands or playing for the reserves picking up good money that we couldn’t afford.

If TW brings in another two that would take us up to a squad of 21, so pick your starting 11 plus subs and 5 are left out. I appreciate injuries and suspensions kick-in, but I do think that’s why we’ve brought in versatile players.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:17 pm

I'm sure I read something that Hughes has played in central defence at some point too. Certainly looks to have the build.

DC

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:20 am

Quakerz wrote:

I think that we may start with 3 at the back and use the old 'if we let in 2 we'll score 3' attitude. Hope I'm wrong though.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:01 am

MikeinBlack2 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:

I think that we may start with 3 at the back and use the old 'if we let in 2 we'll score 3' attitude. Hope I'm wrong though.
Given in the majority of games in pre-season we have gone with 4 at the back, I’d be very surprised if that was the case.