Martin Gray sacked by York

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Martin Gray sacked by York

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:34 pm

Didnt think jansen was employed by blackburn. I saw an interview with him a few days ago and he was saying he was still deciding about his future involvement in football.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:41 pm

He wasn't sacked his contract wasn't getting renewed in October as he were on a rolling year , so stepped down with immediate affect

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:45 pm

Couldn't give a toss what, why, or how he was on his way, he made his bed let him get on with it.
Forget about MG, he's no one we need to bother with.

eek

Post by eek » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:49 pm

onewayup wrote:Couldn't give a toss what, why, or how he was on his way, he made his bed let him get on with it.
Forget about MG, he's no one we need to bother with.
Well it's nice to see that MG hasn't got a big pay off..

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:12 pm

Sam Collins - ex chimp strangler - in temporary charge (he is York youth team manager)

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:52 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Didnt think jansen was employed by blackburn. I saw an interview with him a few days ago and he was saying he was still deciding about his future involvement in football.
Interesting - think you are right. I was told through grapevine he got Blackburn u23s job and took it as gospel. Must have just been a rumour in aftermath of leaving Chorley coz can’t find any evidence online.

If so then yes a good shout for York job.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:58 pm

Hahahahahaha

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:13 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:He wasn't sacked his contract wasn't getting renewed in October as he were on a rolling year , so stepped down with immediate affect

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
So....sacked then.

They said they felt they needed a change.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:14 pm

All this is unfortunate for the York fans but as for the owners of the club, well they have brought a lot of this trouble on themselves, or he (Mcgill) has brought a lot of this trouble on himself.

Let's not forget that Gray was tapped up by York! He handed in his resignation one Saturday evening, took the York job on the Sunday morning then came up with some unbelievable story to explain himself. We never got any compensation from York and even the friendly against them never materialised.

As for Gray - he deserves all he gets! It's obvious now that the success he enjoyed with us inflated the size of his head - If he’d left on good terms, most of us would have been appreciative of his efforts and wished him well - but no! He chose to stir up loads of s*** then left us in an underhand way, meaning York didn’t pay the compensation due. Gray knew this would happen and Gray also knew we had a shortage of money - but still acted with only his own self centred interests in mind.

The York job was obviously too much for him, as mentioned further up this thread I was there yesterday and you could sense a bad feeling running through the club. It reminded me of when the situation with Reynolds was at its worst. The fans were arguing with each other, shouting at players (Moke and Heslop in particular) and shouting at Gray.

Gray himself looked clueless and lost. At one point we saw him ordering his players up the field to try to get a Curzon player sent off, and as for the football, the City players kept on making bad decisions then booting it towards Parkin.

Anyway - what goes around comes around - York are still stuck with an under strength team and fan dissatisfaction, whilst Gray has an opportunity to reflect on recent events.
LoidLucan wrote:Parkin's got no managerial or coaching experience. That would be a mega gamble.
Parkin has stated he doesn't want the job.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:16 pm

There aren't many clubs who you'd think have deep enough pockets to fulfill his ambition of taking a club to the football league - not that would consider him after his poor spell at York.

I expect that's the last we'll see of him as a Manager unless some north east club in the non league gets a big was of cash.

South Shields if Fenton/Picton moved on? Knows enough of the squad.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:24 pm

Spyman wrote:There aren't many clubs who you'd think have deep enough pockets to fulfill his ambition of taking a club to the football league - not that would consider him after his poor spell at York.

I expect that's the last we'll see of him as a Manager unless some north east club in the non league gets a big was of cash.

Or Spendy if Brad gets fed up of losing under Ainsley.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:31 pm

loan_star wrote:
Spyman wrote:There aren't many clubs who you'd think have deep enough pockets to fulfill his ambition of taking a club to the football league - not that would consider him after his poor spell at York.

Yep. Wouldn’t surprise me

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:59 pm

Good to see he lasted under a year after leaving us. :lol:

Darlo-and-Back

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:04 pm

Doesn’t he have a club to go to as manager..... Darlington Town.

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:05 pm

quakerste wrote:Rumour has it he's coming back as Director of Football as a major shareholder.

MG himself told my father in law he would be back at the club in the future in some capacity as owner / directer. That was about 4 months ago

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:18 pm

quakerman wrote:Gray must be distraught with this, given a massive budget and the thought of getting York promoted and the move to a brand new stadium was a massive incentive to leave us for them.Just wonder if he has any regrets looking back on the success he had with us and possibly thinking he should have shown more patience.If Singh does not come calling, difficult to see where he ends up tbh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Would never have thought his new job would barely last a year. Speechless.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:20 pm

Craig09 wrote:
quakerste wrote:Rumour has it he's coming back as Director of Football as a major shareholder.

MG himself told my father in law he would be back at the club in the future in some capacity as owner / directer. That was about 4 months ago
Shame as that isn’t really his decision to make is it.

‘Owner’ doesn’t exist as the fans would have to vote for change in ownership but it’s a legal minefield because of our status. He can’t be appointed as a director by anyone but the DFCSG...

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:33 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Craig09 wrote:

‘Owner’ doesn’t exist as the fans would have to vote for change in ownership but it’s a legal minefield because of our status. He can’t be appointed as a director by anyone but the DFCSG...
He is delusional to say he is capable of becoming an owner /director of our fan owned club after the sh_t he has espoused about us since he departed. You made a right cock up of it all Martin Gray. From start to finish. Goodbye.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:44 pm

I can't see any decent sized club offering him a managers job anytime soon. Gramps is conspicuous by his absence on this thread.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:48 pm

onewayup wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Craig09 wrote:

He is delusional to say he is capable of becoming an owner /director of our fan owned club after the sh_t he has espoused about us since he departed. You made a right cock up of it all Martin Gray. From start to finish. Goodbye.
He walked out part way through a (lucrative?) 5 year contract with us with nothing for a 12 months rolling contract.....Not the brightest button in the Box!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:52 pm

divas wrote:
loan_star wrote:

Yep. Wouldn’t surprise me
Or me.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:40 pm

The news of the managerial demise of our erstwhile former supremo should be met with a mature and dignified response. It is sad to see so many people gloating over this terrible news. Imagine how Mr Gray feels seeing his dream of the big time with a proper club ( not a joke club like ours) crumble to dust.

All this comes after he handled himself with such decorum at the fans forum where all he wanted to do was sell the club (our club) to the bloke who tried to kill it. Then he behaved so utterly properly when he chose to end his time with us.

I for one am sad to see him lose his job.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:52 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I can't see any decent sized club offering him a managers job anytime soon. Gramps is conspicuous by his absence on this thread.
Pete, it's because I genuinely do not care about Martin Gray and York City. People can enjoy their schaudenfreude, I really am not bothered.

I simply couldn't understand why usually decent posters on here got so wound up by a man who left the club 11 months ago, to the point of giving us a blow-by-blow account of his every move at York.

Don't mistake me for being a Martin Gray fan - I was long a critic of his profligacy and bully-boy demeanour, while people like you wanted the board to bow to his demands last summer.

Nor do I agree with the revisionists who like to make out Gray's achievements aren't worth anything. His underhand manner of leaving the club was poor (interestingly TW did the same when leaving Nuneaton, but that gets swept under the carpet because it's Saint Tommy) but Gray was in those seasons up to the infamous FF, very successful with us.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:12 am

Still can’t believe how York missed out on the play offs last season.

His signings in the summer were very strange, in fact very poor. Never look like scoring many goals. The Tait signing summed it up, and showed that Gray had ran out of ideas. Listening to the Tait interview when he signed after being released by Spenny he said he was looking for a club abroad before Martin rang him, Tait must have been rubbing his hands together. In fact I’m surprised Gray didn’t try and sign Burgess et al.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:18 am

shildonlad wrote:
lo36789 wrote:Who knows where he goes from here!? It would be a huge gamble on Singh’s part to get him in at Hartlepool - Bates got his first win of the season yesterday as well.

Where does he go below us though? South Shields aren’t going to replace Fenton so he’s looking at Northern League - Bishop...?
With gray manageing at 4 different levels so who knows. Whitby, or marske?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can say with some confidence he won't end up anywhere near Marske Utd... Whitby, I'm not so sure... they have Chris Hardy at the moment

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:19 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote: Still can’t believe how York missed out on the play offs last season.
The collapse in form was amazing, Gray blustered through this by bigging up next season but ........
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:His signings in the summer were very strange, in fact very poor. Never look like scoring many goals. The Tait signing summed it up, and showed that Gray had ran out of ideas.
I'm wondering if word has got round that York are not a good team to sign for at present. i.e. the type of players Gray wanted, wouldn't come. When Tait and Griffiths (?) were taken on from Spennymoor it became obvious that things weren't going to plan.

York at present don't have a particularly strong team and have other issues - seeing as they are one of our competitors for a playoff spot long may this continue.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:25 am

Darlogramps wrote:His underhand manner of leaving the club was poor (interestingly TW did the same when leaving Nuneaton, but that gets swept under the carpet because it's Saint Tommy) but Gray was in those seasons up to the infamous FF, very successful with us.
Are you sure about that? As far as I was aware we approached Nuneaton for permission to speak to Wright, he turned us down and then did a u-turn. We paid compensation to Nuneaton for him.
All by the book, unlike Gray leaving.
However, like you, I don’t think we should be making a song and dance about his fate. Yes it left a sour taste what went on but he has reaped what he has sown. He was still one of the most successful managers we have ever had.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:20 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:His underhand manner of leaving the club was poor (interestingly TW did the same when leaving Nuneaton, but that gets swept under the carpet because it's Saint Tommy) but Gray was in those seasons up to the infamous FF, very successful with us.
Are you sure about that? As far as I was aware we approached Nuneaton for permission to speak to Wright, he turned us down and then did a u-turn. We paid compensation to Nuneaton for him.
All by the book, unlike Gray leaving.
"U-turn" doesn't quite cover what happened.

Yes he changed his mind, but then he contacted us to say he wanted the job now (Nuneaton said he did so without their permission). We were close to appointing Chris Hardy so he knew he had to get in quick.

He then resigned by text - texting Nuneaton's chairman, who was out of the country on holiday at the time, at 6:30pm on a Friday night.

He then heads off up to the North East, leaving his employers without a manager less than 24 hours before a game. This is all out there by the way, just search the local Nuneaton press from the time. To my knowledge, Wright's never come out and denied this either.

It was pretty poor behaviour and not too dissimilar to Gray's departure from us. The main difference is we rightly paid Nuneaton what they were due.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:08 pm

Re the T.W./Nuneaton situation - I would say that's a pretty accurate summary there Gramps.

Re Gray - the thought occurs that because of his forum antics/bad team form/+ other stuff, there was a possibility that our board would of liked to have sacked him about a month or so before he left us in the lurch. They obviously couldn't afford to though as Gray would have then held them (us) to his contract. The same contract he binned over night when it suited him.

Gray getting sacked has put a nice tidy end to this story, York will find a new manager and we can all live happily ever after.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:51 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Re the T.W./Nuneaton situation - I would say that's a pretty accurate summary there Gramps.

Re Gray - the thought occurs that because of his forum antics/bad team form/+ other stuff, there was a possibility that our board would of liked to have sacked him about a month or so before he left us in the lurch. They obviously couldn't afford to though as Gray would have then held them (us) to his contract. The same contract he binned over night when it suited him.
Gray getting sacked has put a nice tidy end to this story, York will find a new manager and we can all live happily ever after.

What I don't understand about the departure of Gray is why the board were so quick to accept his resignation. If they had not accepted it, then York/ Gray would have had to pay compensation to Darlington for breach of contract.

Once the resignation was accepted there was no breach of contract with Gray going to York.

It looks from the outside that the board were far too quick to accept Gray's resignation ie the same evening he proffered it. That could support the suggestion the board wanted rid of Gray, but it undoubtedly cost Darlington a sum in compensation