You are here: darlofc.co.uk » Board index » The Uncovered Forums » Virtual Feethams
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:32 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Posts: 2251
Team Supported: Darlington
The reason you dont understand is because you really dont have a clue about our club and what goes on within it and all the issues involved. Had you ever considered it was felt that how it panned out was probably in the best interests of everyone and it was best that everyone just moved on. Because you should.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:24 pm
Posts: 105
Team Supported: Darlington
spen666 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Re the T.W./Nuneaton situation - I would say that's a pretty accurate summary there Gramps.

Re Gray - the thought occurs that because of his forum antics/bad team form/+ other stuff, there was a possibility that our board would of liked to have sacked him about a month or so before he left us in the lurch. They obviously couldn't afford to though as Gray would have then held them (us) to his contract. The same contract he binned over night when it suited him.
Gray getting sacked has put a nice tidy end to this story, York will find a new manager and we can all live happily ever after.



What I don't understand about the departure of Gray is why the board were so quick to accept his resignation. If they had not accepted it, then York/ Gray would have had to pay compensation to Darlington for breach of contract.

Once the resignation was accepted there was no breach of contract with Gray going to York.

It looks from the outside that the board were far too quick to accept Gray's resignation ie the same evening he proffered it. That could support the suggestion the board wanted rid of Gray, but it undoubtedly cost Darlington a sum in compensation


You’ve assumed that the contract was between the club and Gray the individual. If the contract was between the club and say MGFA then is was for services which they still delivered without him.

As you say, what it looks like from the outside... the reality being very different.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:24 pm
Posts: 105
Team Supported: Darlington
LoidLucan wrote:
The reason you dont understand is because you really dont have a clue about our club and what goes on within it and all the issues involved. Had you ever considered it was felt that how it panned out was probably in the best interests of everyone and it was best that everyone just moved on. Because you should.


Correct


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Posts: 3998
Team Supported: Darlington
I am sure that there was clause in Gray’s contract which stated that he could leave to a side at this level or the one above and no compensation would be required to be paid to DFC. If it was a FL club then this would be different however.

Personally I don’t have an issue with the way Gray left. He handed in his resignation, which the Board accepted as we weren’t due any compensation as per the clause in his contract. It was clear that he was off to York and that conversations had been had prior to his resignation between all parties.

I also didn’t have an issue with him taking Bartlett & Ferguson or then Atkinson, Gregan, Dunn & Bell either. The club needed to reduce it’s over-inflated budget which it couldn’t sustain.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:56 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Posts: 5754
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
His underhand manner of leaving the club was poor (interestingly TW did the same when leaving Nuneaton, but that gets swept under the carpet because it's Saint Tommy) but Gray was in those seasons up to the infamous FF, very successful with us.


Are you sure about that? As far as I was aware we approached Nuneaton for permission to speak to Wright, he turned us down and then did a u-turn. We paid compensation to Nuneaton for him.
All by the book, unlike Gray leaving.


"U-turn" doesn't quite cover what happened.

Yes he changed his mind, but then he contacted us to say he wanted the job now (Nuneaton said he did so without their permission). We were close to appointing Chris Hardy so he knew he had to get in quick.

He then resigned by text - texting Nuneaton's chairman, who was out of the country on holiday at the time, at 6:30pm on a Friday night.

He then heads off up to the North East, leaving his employers without a manager less than 24 hours before a game. This is all out there by the way, just search the local Nuneaton press from the time. To my knowledge, Wright's never come out and denied this either.

It was pretty poor behaviour and not too dissimilar to Gray's departure from us. The main difference is we rightly paid Nuneaton what they were due.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk


Fair enough but still better than what Gray did. At least most of it was above board in comparison to Grays exit.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 4112
Team Supported: Darlington
That's subjective - if Wright had done that to us we'd have been furious and never forgiven him, same way some fans have never forgiven Gray. Both as bad as each other in my view.

There's a way to do these things and neither Gray nor Wright acted with any sort of respect towards those paying their wages.

_________________
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Posts: 1644
Team Supported: Darlington
Suddenly the York Xmas fixtures don’t look as tasty... shame dat

_________________
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Posts: 713
Team Supported: Darlington
Still look great to me. A local game against a proper team.

Marty getting the boot is funny for the comments he made towards the end of his tenure here. Burned all bridges as far as most are concerned.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Posts: 1281
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlo-and-Back wrote:
spen666 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Re the T.W./Nuneaton situation - I would say that's a pretty accurate summary there Gramps.

Re Gray - the thought occurs that because of his forum antics/bad team form/+ other stuff, there was a possibility that our board would of liked to have sacked him about a month or so before he left us in the lurch. They obviously couldn't afford to though as Gray would have then held them (us) to his contract. The same contract he binned over night when it suited him.
Gray getting sacked has put a nice tidy end to this story, York will find a new manager and we can all live happily ever after.



What I don't understand about the departure of Gray is why the board were so quick to accept his resignation. If they had not accepted it, then York/ Gray would have had to pay compensation to Darlington for breach of contract.

Once the resignation was accepted there was no breach of contract with Gray going to York.

It looks from the outside that the board were far too quick to accept Gray's resignation ie the same evening he proffered it. That could support the suggestion the board wanted rid of Gray, but it undoubtedly cost Darlington a sum in compensation


You’ve assumed that the contract was between the club and Gray the individual. If the contract was between the club and say MGFA then is was for services which they still delivered without him.

As you say, what it looks like from the outside... the reality being very different.


If the contract wasn't between Gray the individual and the club then Darlington would be in breach of FA rules.

_________________
_________________________________________________________________
Follow me on

Blog: www.spen666.wordpress.com

Twitter: @spen_666


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Posts: 1281
Team Supported: Darlington
LoidLucan wrote:
The reason you dont understand is because you really dont have a clue about our club and what goes on within it and all the issues involved. Had you ever considered it was felt that how it panned out was probably in the best interests of everyone and it was best that everyone just moved on. Because you should.

Funny how you and most people on here have twisted and complained about the way Gray left, now when it suits you, suddenly it was in the best Interests of everyone
.so why 12 months of twisting about the way he left?

_________________
_________________________________________________________________
Follow me on

Blog: www.spen666.wordpress.com

Twitter: @spen_666


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:24 pm
Posts: 105
Team Supported: Darlington
spen666 wrote:
Darlo-and-Back wrote:
spen666 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Re the T.W./Nuneaton situation - I would say that's a pretty accurate summary there Gramps.

Re Gray - the thought occurs that because of his forum antics/bad team form/+ other stuff, there was a possibility that our board would of liked to have sacked him about a month or so before he left us in the lurch. They obviously couldn't afford to though as Gray would have then held them (us) to his contract. The same contract he binned over night when it suited him.
Gray getting sacked has put a nice tidy end to this story, York will find a new manager and we can all live happily ever after.



What I don't understand about the departure of Gray is why the board were so quick to accept his resignation. If they had not accepted it, then York/ Gray would have had to pay compensation to Darlington for breach of contract.

Once the resignation was accepted there was no breach of contract with Gray going to York.

It looks from the outside that the board were far too quick to accept Gray's resignation ie the same evening he proffered it. That could support the suggestion the board wanted rid of Gray, but it undoubtedly cost Darlington a sum in compensation


You’ve assumed that the contract was between the club and Gray the individual. If the contract was between the club and say MGFA then is was for services which they still delivered without him.

As you say, what it looks like from the outside... the reality being very different.


If the contract wasn't between Gray the individual and the club then Darlington would be in breach of FA rules.


You just make it up as you go along.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:24 pm
Posts: 105
Team Supported: Darlington
spen666 wrote:
Darlo-and-Back wrote:
spen666 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Re the T.W./Nuneaton situation - I would say that's a pretty accurate summary there Gramps.

Re Gray - the thought occurs that because of his forum antics/bad team form/+ other stuff, there was a possibility that our board would of liked to have sacked him about a month or so before he left us in the lurch. They obviously couldn't afford to though as Gray would have then held them (us) to his contract. The same contract he binned over night when it suited him.
Gray getting sacked has put a nice tidy end to this story, York will find a new manager and we can all live happily ever after.



What I don't understand about the departure of Gray is why the board were so quick to accept his resignation. If they had not accepted it, then York/ Gray would have had to pay compensation to Darlington for breach of contract.

Once the resignation was accepted there was no breach of contract with Gray going to York.

It looks from the outside that the board were far too quick to accept Gray's resignation ie the same evening he proffered it. That could support the suggestion the board wanted rid of Gray, but it undoubtedly cost Darlington a sum in compensation


You’ve assumed that the contract was between the club and Gray the individual. If the contract was between the club and say MGFA then is was for services which they still delivered without him.

As you say, what it looks like from the outside... the reality being very different.


If the contract wasn't between Gray the individual and the club then Darlington would be in breach of FA rules.


Unlike footballers’ Contracts in England, there is no prescribed form for a football Manager’s Contract. The Football League Regulations make no mention of any specific clauses that need to be included in a Manager’s Contract, whilst the Premier League’s Rules3 state only that:

“The terms of a Manager’s employment must be evidenced in a written contract, a copy of which must be submitted to the Secretary within seven days of its completion.” (Rule P.7)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Posts: 1181
Team Supported: Darlington
Does that mean the end of the York thread at last


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Posts: 2401
Team Supported: Darlington
darlo reborn wrote:
Does that mean the end of the York thread at last

Not now an Ex Poolie is in charge.lol

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Posts: 3476
Team Supported: Darlington
spen666 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Re the T.W./Nuneaton situation - I would say that's a pretty accurate summary there Gramps.

Re Gray - the thought occurs that because of his forum antics/bad team form/+ other stuff, there was a possibility that our board would of liked to have sacked him about a month or so before he left us in the lurch. They obviously couldn't afford to though as Gray would have then held them (us) to his contract. The same contract he binned over night when it suited him.
Gray getting sacked has put a nice tidy end to this story, York will find a new manager and we can all live happily ever after.



What I don't understand about the departure of Gray is why the board were so quick to accept his resignation. If they had not accepted it, then York/ Gray would have had to pay compensation to Darlington for breach of contract.

Once the resignation was accepted there was no breach of contract with Gray going to York.

It looks from the outside that the board were far too quick to accept Gray's resignation ie the same evening he proffered it. That could support the suggestion the board wanted rid of Gray, but it undoubtedly cost Darlington a sum in compensation


D.J. did state recently the reason why he let Gray go immediately.

He said he didn't want a disgruntled unhappy manager hanging around, bringing everybody down, also, I would go long with the theory that he was pleased to see the back of Gray.

I do see the point you've made. D.J could have thrown a spanner into the works and made things awkward for Gray and York, but on doing this it would have made things awkward for us too.

_________________
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 4112
Team Supported: Darlington
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
D.J. did state recently the reason why he let Gray go immediately.

He said he didn't want a disgruntled unhappy manager hanging around, bringing everybody down, also, I would go long with the theory that he was pleased to see the back of Gray.

I do see the point you've made. D.J could have thrown a spanner into the works and made things awkward for Gray and York, but on doing this it would have made things awkward for us too.


Yeah exactly. All well and good holding out for proper compensation, but what if York decided the price was too steep, or wanted a cheaper option? Then you risk being left with an increasingly unpopular manager (following his attempted coup at the FF) who doesn't want to be there, and who was on a bad run of form which may or may not have improved.

And there was plenty of politics behind the scenes as well undoubtedly. Look how quickly Johnston moved to cut the budget down to a more sustainable level once Gray had gone. It was no secret that Gray knew how to get his own way when it came to money - but there was a greater need for better financial management, even if that came at the cost of reducing our promotion chances.

_________________
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Posts: 1281
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlo-and-Back wrote:
spen666 wrote:
Darlo-and-Back wrote:
spen666 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Re the T.W./Nuneaton situation - I would say that's a pretty accurate summary there Gramps.

Re Gray - the thought occurs that because of his forum antics/bad team form/+ other stuff, there was a possibility that our board would of liked to have sacked him about a month or so before he left us in the lurch. They obviously couldn't afford to though as Gray would have then held them (us) to his contract. The same contract he binned over night when it suited him.
Gray getting sacked has put a nice tidy end to this story, York will find a new manager and we can all live happily ever after.



What I don't understand about the departure of Gray is why the board were so quick to accept his resignation. If they had not accepted it, then York/ Gray would have had to pay compensation to Darlington for breach of contract.

Once the resignation was accepted there was no breach of contract with Gray going to York.

It looks from the outside that the board were far too quick to accept Gray's resignation ie the same evening he proffered it. That could support the suggestion the board wanted rid of Gray, but it undoubtedly cost Darlington a sum in compensation


You’ve assumed that the contract was between the club and Gray the individual. If the contract was between the club and say MGFA then is was for services which they still delivered without him.

As you say, what it looks like from the outside... the reality being very different.


If the contract wasn't between Gray the individual and the club then Darlington would be in breach of FA rules.


Unlike footballers’ Contracts in England, there is no prescribed form for a football Manager’s Contract. The Football League Regulations make no mention of any specific clauses that need to be included in a Manager’s Contract, whilst the Premier League’s Rules3 state only that:

“The terms of a Manager’s employment must be evidenced in a written contract, a copy of which must be submitted to the Secretary within seven days of its completion.” (Rule P.7)


None of which is relevant as Darlington are not in either competition.

I have not suggested there is a prescribed form of contract for a manager.


However taking the quote you provide from the Premier League....if Darlington had contracted with MGFA, then there is no contract of employment for a manager. The contract would be with a management company not "a manager"

Darlington could not therefore lodge the terms of employment of the manager as they had not employed a manager.

Simple contract law point regarding parties to a contract.





However, this is a red herring g. If Darlington board had even waited 24 hours to accept the resignation, it would have given them more chance to receive compensation for the breach of contract.


If as someone else has suggested the board had agreed a clause in his contract to allow him to leave for a club in the same division without a fee, then there would have been no need for Gray to resign without telling the board where he was going. Also, if such a clause existed, then board had effectively negotiated a one sided contract that committed Darlington to pay Gray without and commitment from Gray to remain.

A situation where the board clearly failed to get the best deal at the time and do the best thing for the club

_________________
_________________________________________________________________
Follow me on

Blog: www.spen666.wordpress.com

Twitter: @spen_666


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:02 pm
Posts: 113
Team Supported: Darlington
I may be one of the few but I hold no particular grudge against MG. I felt it was time for him and the club to part ways and him resigning saved up potentially paying substantial compensation given his contract. We were not playing good football, and we did not have the money to deliver his ambitions for him and the club so him leaving was a win - win in my eyes at the time. It may not have been done in the best way to be honest but that sometimes happens in divorces. He did well for us but we are not in a position to throw money at promotion so DJ did the right thing at the time as far as I am concerned.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Posts: 20959
Team Supported: Darlington
spen666 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Re the T.W./Nuneaton situation - I would say that's a pretty accurate summary there Gramps.

Re Gray - the thought occurs that because of his forum antics/bad team form/+ other stuff, there was a possibility that our board would of liked to have sacked him about a month or so before he left us in the lurch. They obviously couldn't afford to though as Gray would have then held them (us) to his contract. The same contract he binned over night when it suited him.
Gray getting sacked has put a nice tidy end to this story, York will find a new manager and we can all live happily ever after.



What I don't understand about the departure of Gray is why the board were so quick to accept his resignation. If they had not accepted it, then York/ Gray would have had to pay compensation to Darlington for breach of contract.

Once the resignation was accepted there was no breach of contract with Gray going to York.

It looks from the outside that the board were far too quick to accept Gray's resignation ie the same evening he proffered it. That could support the suggestion the board wanted rid of Gray, but it undoubtedly cost Darlington a sum in compensation


If I was a betting man, I'd have an educated guess that the reason that the board accepted his resignation is because they obviously wanted shot of him a.s.a.p

We already knew that we were in an unsustainable financial position that we would not be able to keep up without major wheeling and dealing and this would likely not improve with Gray at the helm - because he was wanting more money to fuel his ambitions, not less.

He had too much power and the club, and must have been very hard to say no to.

When he resigned, I bet we couldn't accept it quick enough - despite any reservations about some fans not being happy.

If we had refused his resignation, it could have dragged on and realistically how much compo would York have been willing or able to pay?

_________________
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Posts: 2251
Team Supported: Darlington
Fair summary I think. The biggest danger in Gray going was a fans backlash over losing the man who helped bring success. The manner of his departure and the things he subsequently said ensured that largely didnt happen.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:23 pm
Posts: 1745
Team Supported: Darlington
I wonder if this will consign Gray to forever being an assistance manager? suspect word will get out in the game that Gray is a busted flush? can't think who would want him?

a club in the northern league with loads of cash compared to the rest - but with ambitions to reach the evostick and stay there....?

can't see any other clubs with cash to flash giving MG a job off the back of his York career...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Posts: 1120
Team Supported: Darlington
Just guessing there won't be any testimonial match for the benefit of MG....
:lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 11464
Team Supported: Darlington
The over inflated budget that you were all for Gray spending every penny of without question, if I remember rightly.
Darlofan97 wrote:
I am sure that there was clause in Gray’s contract which stated that he could leave to a side at this level or the one above and no compensation would be required to be paid to DFC. If it was a FL club then this would be different however.

Personally I don’t have an issue with the way Gray left. He handed in his resignation, which the Board accepted as we weren’t due any compensation as per the clause in his contract. It was clear that he was off to York and that conversations had been had prior to his resignation between all parties.

I also didn’t have an issue with him taking Bartlett & Ferguson or then Atkinson, Gregan, Dunn & Bell either. The club needed to reduce it’s over-inflated budget which it couldn’t sustain.


Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Posts: 3998
Team Supported: Darlington
Budget wasn’t sustainable as we weren’t bringing in the fans to sustain it. Attendances had dropped 16% last season.

Personally feel as though the over-inflated budget wasn’t all Gray’s doing. Yes he brought the players in but ultimately he wasn’t responsible for setting it close season.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 4112
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlofan97 wrote:
Budget wasn’t sustainable as we weren’t bringing in the fans to sustain it. Attendances had dropped 16% last season.

Personally feel as though the over-inflated budget wasn’t all Gray’s doing. Yes he brought the players in but ultimately he wasn’t responsible for setting it close season.
Stop with the "he didn't set the budget" nonsense. MG was hugely influential at the club and knew how to get his own way. He had a ridiculous amount of sway, considering he was "only" the manager.
You make it sound as if meek and mild Martin simply said thank you and worked with what he'd been given, which is bullshit.

Everyone knows fine well he held a loaded gun to the club's head, intimating he might leave after Singh's temper tantrum. He knew fine well the damage that him leaving would have caused at the time. There would have been a terrible split in the fanbase.

And then after being given a £40k bribe in the form of Boost the Budget, he still wasn't satisfied and demanded more money to tear up the squad after the fiasco against S. Shields.


But glad you've finally admitted the excesses at the start of last season were unsustainable. Me and Spyman said this 12 months ago.

_________________
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 499
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlogramps wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
Budget wasn’t sustainable as we weren’t bringing in the fans to sustain it. Attendances had dropped 16% last season.

Personally feel as though the over-inflated budget wasn’t all Gray’s doing. Yes he brought the players in but ultimately he wasn’t responsible for setting it close season.
Stop with the "he didn't set the budget" nonsense. MG was hugely influential at the club and knew how to get his own way. He had a ridiculous amount of sway, considering he was "only" the manager.
You make it sound as if meek and mild Martin simply said thank you and worked with what he'd been given, which is bullshit.

Everyone knows fine well he held a loaded gun to the club's head, intimating he might leave after Singh's temper tantrum. He knew fine well the damage that him leaving would have caused at the time. There would have been a terrible split in the fanbase

And then after being given a £40k bribe in the form of Boost the Budget, he still wasn't satisfied and demanded more money to tear up the squad after the fiasco against S. Shields.


But glad you've finally admitted the excesses at the start of last season were unsustainable. Me and Spyman said this 12 months ago.

Bloody Hell, I am shocked.
I find myself agreeing with Darlogramps 100%.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Posts: 1253
Team Supported: Darlington
I think we should ask Spen to act in some sort of legal consultant capacity. He's always so knowledgeable about so many issues. He offers advice and points out our many mistakes. I for one would value his expert input. It would have to be on an unpaid, voluntary basis as we don't have a benefactor to give us a seven figure sum.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Posts: 3998
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlogramps wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
Budget wasn’t sustainable as we weren’t bringing in the fans to sustain it. Attendances had dropped 16% last season.

Personally feel as though the over-inflated budget wasn’t all Gray’s doing. Yes he brought the players in but ultimately he wasn’t responsible for setting it close season.
Stop with the "he didn't set the budget" nonsense. MG was hugely influential at the club and knew how to get his own way. He had a ridiculous amount of sway, considering he was "only" the manager.
You make it sound as if meek and mild Martin simply said thank you and worked with what he'd been given, which is bullshit.

Everyone knows fine well he held a loaded gun to the club's head, intimating he might leave after Singh's temper tantrum. He knew fine well the damage that him leaving would have caused at the time. There would have been a terrible split in the fanbase.

And then after being given a £40k bribe in the form of Boost the Budget, he still wasn't satisfied and demanded more money to tear up the squad after the fiasco against S. Shields.


But glad you've finally admitted the excesses at the start of last season were unsustainable. Me and Spyman said this 12 months ago.


I would be very careful with such comments, Gramps. A lot of assumptions based on Gray and his power at the club, what would or would not have happened and the demands he set.

The budget was sustainable 12 months ago. The club recorded a profit for August. With the increase in ticket prices, maintainence in attendances (c1,750) and £40k raised through BtB, it is clear to see why the budget was increased. However attendances dropped significantly and we crashed out of the FA Cup.

I am not defending Gray by all means. But I do think that there are certain aspects that people are neglecting in order to suit their anti-Gray agenda. In particular those who are taking delight at someone losing their job, which I disagree with.

In fear of you ruining yet another thread on this messageboard, I will leave it there.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Posts: 12496
Team Supported: Darlington
We also had a lot of home games in August due to the way the fixtures are structured - it’s nearly always the month with the most income and is seldom repeated


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 4112
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlofan97 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
Budget wasn’t sustainable as we weren’t bringing in the fans to sustain it. Attendances had dropped 16% last season.

Personally feel as though the over-inflated budget wasn’t all Gray’s doing. Yes he brought the players in but ultimately he wasn’t responsible for setting it close season.
Stop with the "he didn't set the budget" nonsense. MG was hugely influential at the club and knew how to get his own way. He had a ridiculous amount of sway, considering he was "only" the manager.
You make it sound as if meek and mild Martin simply said thank you and worked with what he'd been given, which is bullshit.

Everyone knows fine well he held a loaded gun to the club's head, intimating he might leave after Singh's temper tantrum. He knew fine well the damage that him leaving would have caused at the time. There would have been a terrible split in the fanbase.

And then after being given a £40k bribe in the form of Boost the Budget, he still wasn't satisfied and demanded more money to tear up the squad after the fiasco against S. Shields.


But glad you've finally admitted the excesses at the start of last season were unsustainable. Me and Spyman said this 12 months ago.


I would be very careful with such comments, Gramps. A lot of assumptions based on Gray and his power at the club, what would or would not have happened and the demands he set.


Sorry, this is a poor means of evading the argument. MG was manager for a long time during multiple periods of boardroom instability. He knew how to play the game. If you're trying to suggest he humbly sat there and did nothing to try ensure his budget was as big as could be, then it just won't wash. MG held an unusually high level of influence at our club, certainly more than TW enjoys now. There's no right-minded fan who believes otherwise.

Darlofan97 wrote:
The budget was sustainable 12 months ago. The club recorded a profit for August. With the increase in ticket prices, maintainence in attendances (c1,750) and £40k raised through BtB, it is clear to see why the budget was increased. However attendances dropped significantly and we crashed out of the FA Cup.


I'm sorry, this is all nonsense, simply isn't backed up by what actually happened.

The budget reduction began as soon as MG left. It did, that's a fact. As soon as TW arrived he was told the budget needed to come down- he talked about this in the Echo at the start of this season.

It should also be added you don't budget for cup runs (I'm sure I recall DJ saying as such) nor do you budget only for one month. Things change which is why you leave headroom and contingency. That wasn't happening which is what I was arguing against last season.

Your suggestion that August was run at a profit, with the implication that every month therefore can be profitable is also rubbish. As Divas says, you get an unusually high concentration of games in August, and there's also the new season factor. More people turnout in the warmer summer months when the season is new and fresh. You cannot say "August saw a profit, therefore the budget was sustainable" because that's just not how budgeting works. You budget different levels for different months, such as leaving more contingency in the colder winter months when attendances are lower and postponements are more likely.

Crucially, you're ignoring key contextual factors, like the fact we had essential ground development to pay for. After the farce of not being allowed in the play-offs in 16/17, sorting the ground was our most important expenditure.

You and the likes of Darlo_Pete argued you'd rather see the money spent on Scott Fenwick and Brad Fewster, than develop our ground. We all know who was right on that one, you're just too spineless to admit you're wrong.

Darlofan97 wrote:
In fear of you ruining yet another thread on this messageboard, I will leave it there.


Sorry, people will see through this for what it is. The facts and events that actually happened completely contradict your assumption-based fantasy. So now you're running away because you can't admit you were wrong and I was right. It says a lot that you're making ad hominem attacks, rather than defend your argument.

We couldn't afford what we were spending, hence the dramatic budget reduction (again, read TW's account in the Echo if you don't believe me). The money we wasted on the likes of Scott Fenwick would have been much better spent on infrastructure and ground development. I said this 12 months ago, and so it's transpired.

_________________
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: al_quaker, loan_star and 36 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group