Darlington V Altrincham Match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

Quakers83
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Altrincham Match thread

Post by Quakers83 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:54 am

Elliot > Portas.

My opinion
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Altrincham Match thread

Post by My opinion » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:19 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
real_darlo_85 wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
quakersam wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Could never understand why we released Portas, he should have been offered at least a short term contract to prove his fitness ,would be far better than our 3 midfielder yesterday.Badly need more leaders in the team, never thought we would be missing the likes of Browney and Turnbull after only 6 games but we are too lightweight in a very physical league IMO.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Tom chose to move on, simple as that. What is it with our fanbase and obssession over former players, get a grip
People near me calling for Heaton back on loan. All we have to do is ask, it would seem, us being Darlington. Stockdale not getting a game at the moment. Let's get him back.
A loan agreement should have been put forward considering the amount of bench warming he has done recently. Forget Stockdale he wouldn't return to this level.

As for the 'obsession of past players', the reason for it is because when players are moved on it's the belief that those brought in to replace are better. At the moment it is not clear that Maddison for Pears, Burn for Heaton, Hughes for Turnbull, Henshall for Gillies (as examples) are adequate replacements. Therefore, you do sometimes have to question the manager's judgement and clearly TW is under pressure now to justify this.

A defeat today and I think we may as well be aiming for 19th than any belief of the playoffs.
Totally agree on your point regarding the players Tommy released and the replacements he brought in.Turnbull and Portas in my opinion are better than Hughes and Elliott and unless Henshall improves with fitness is he any better than Gillies.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Totally disagree...
Elliot is having a very good start to the season for us, I'm my opinion . I would rather see him in the team than a Turnbull who's heart and mind would be at South Shields.
I would rather have Henshall in the team who can play when the pitches get soft and the rain is coming down.
Portas made his own decision on leaving.
I am in the minority who are still looking at Hughes's performances. I will give him a few more games before thinking he is good enough or not. He was not the worst player on the pitch on Saturday. Indeed Thommo, Styche or even Trotman (though we never had a replacement for him) were my standout poor performers and could/should have been replaced before Hughes..
Every time Trotman went forward their No10 nipped into the space he left and was not picked up, it's not a surprise that he helped himself to two goals

Tommy needs to get them playing like they were before the Kidderminster game, that's the only way to stop the negative kneejerk reaction we get from certain posters every time we get a poor result

Quakers83
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Altrincham Match thread

Post by Quakers83 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:24 pm

Phil Turnbull - good player but whilst under-contract with us he said “come sign me” to a South Shields fan videoing him just after the season ended.

I also don’t think he provided much defensive protection, he did a good job but hardly broke up play.

quakersam
Posts: 4751
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:35 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Stockton

Re: Darlington V Altrincham Match thread

Post by quakersam » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:30 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
quakersam wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Could never understand why we released Portas, he should have been offered at least a short term contract to prove his fitness ,would be far better than our 3 midfielder yesterday.Badly need more leaders in the team, never thought we would be missing the likes of Browney and Turnbull after only 6 games but we are too lightweight in a very physical league IMO.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Tom chose to move on, simple as that. What is it with our fanbase and obssession over former players, get a grip
So you are saying he preferred West Auckland over us....do me a favour.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Do me a favour and stop talking absolute pony. You clearly know nothing about Tom and his reasons for leaving the club
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

quakersam
Posts: 4751
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:35 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Stockton

Re: Darlington V Altrincham Match thread

Post by quakersam » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:38 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
real_darlo_85 wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
quakersam wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Could never understand why we released Portas, he should have been offered at least a short term contract to prove his fitness ,would be far better than our 3 midfielder yesterday.Badly need more leaders in the team, never thought we would be missing the likes of Browney and Turnbull after only 6 games but we are too lightweight in a very physical league IMO.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Tom chose to move on, simple as that. What is it with our fanbase and obssession over former players, get a grip
People near me calling for Heaton back on loan. All we have to do is ask, it would seem, us being Darlington. Stockdale not getting a game at the moment. Let's get him back.
A loan agreement should have been put forward considering the amount of bench warming he has done recently. Forget Stockdale he wouldn't return to this level.

As for the 'obsession of past players', the reason for it is because when players are moved on it's the belief that those brought in to replace are better. At the moment it is not clear that Maddison for Pears, Burn for Heaton, Hughes for Turnbull, Henshall for Gillies (as examples) are adequate replacements. Therefore, you do sometimes have to question the manager's judgement and clearly TW is under pressure now to justify this.

A defeat today and I think we may as well be aiming for 19th than any belief of the playoffs.
Totally agree on your point regarding the players Tommy released and the replacements he brought in.Turnbull and Portas in my opinion are better than Hughes and Elliott and unless Henshall improves with fitness is he any better than Gillies.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
:roll: :roll: :roll: Deary me.
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

User avatar
mikkyx
Site Admin
Posts: 3704
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Darlington V Altrincham Match thread

Post by mikkyx » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:18 pm

Regarding posts I've now deleted from this thread (along with any quotes / replies), no complaints have been received by the DFC board.
Mike Price - @mikkyx
---
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
One fifth of Darlo Fans Radio and one half of the Darlo Radio Football Show

Locked