Ashton United on Monday

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

My opinion
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ashton United on Monday

Post by My opinion » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:15 am

spen666 wrote:Perhaps teams need to go back to the proven World Cup winning format of 4-3-3
I don't think it was the 4-3-3 format that decided the world cup, I think it was because they were the best players and gelled together..

Beano
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ashton United on Monday

Post by Beano » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:54 am

I can only echo what other posters have said - Wright is too attached to his tactical philosophy, putting square pegs in round holes, rather than setting us up to get the best out of the resources at our disposal. This then also hinders him later in the game when we are looking to make changes.

4-4-2 looked brilliant when we had Wheatley available, and much less so without him. We are continuously being overrun in central midfield as the opposition have scouted us and realised they can set themselves up this way, so I'd hope Tommy can recognise this and play a central midfield 3 in the short term to tighten us up. This weakness is even more obvious when our full back overlap, often very effectively, and leave space to attack.

However, as we've signed Ainge, he seems very committed to playing two up front together as they're two of our best players and likely to be our best paid players.

Hopefully Styche's international call up allows us to change it up a bit and I'd like to see the following:

------------Maddison---------------
Trotman-Burn-Galbraith-O'Hanlon
----------Wheatley-Elliot-----------
---Thompson-Syers-Nicholson----
--------------Ainge-----------------

Ainge is wonderful in the air and Syers is arguably our most intelligent player who can anticipate play very well, a Conference North Frank Lampard for want of a better analogy, who can strengthen us in the middle and offer a threat running from deep.