TW tactics......again!

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quakerlad
Team Supported: Darlington

TW tactics......again!

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:28 pm

4 questions that Ray Simpson will not probably ask.

1. At last fans forum TW said he had a great relationship with the other N East clubs and they were always offering him players on loan. Why then did he did not borrow a centre half and or left back.?

2. Why continue to play Styche on left wing. He is wasted there and he is getting peed off. When we put him back up front for last 20 we looked like scoring.

3. Why oh why not immediately put Ainge up front when against 10 men and losing at home. Yes he did it, with 2 minutes to play.

4. Why after only 7 matches of season has he left the squad so thin that he couldn’t bring a sub on because all were about 16 years old.

A disgrace. Cannot knock the players effort or commitment today but his tactics and management yet again defy belief!

One win out of 8, no home wins and so many goals conceded I worry result in a relegation battle.

The Golden Hairclip

Re: TW tactics......again!

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:37 pm

Quakerlad wrote:4 questions that Ray Simpson will not probably ask.

1. At last fans forum TW said he had a great relationship with the other N East clubs and they were always offering him players on loan. Why then did he did not borrow a centre half and or left back.?

2. Why continue to play Styche on left wing. He is wasted there and he is getting peed off. When we put him back up front for last 20 we looked like scoring.

3. Why oh why not immediately put Ainge up front when against 10 men and losing at home. Yes he did it, with 2 minutes to play.

4. Why after only 7 matches of season has he left the squad so thin that he couldn’t bring a sub on because all were about 16 years old.

A disgrace. Cannot knock the players effort or commitment today but his tactics and management yet again defy belief!

One win out of 8, no home wins and so many goals conceded I worry result in a relegation battle.
I want to be positive and hope that Tommy turns it round and goes on to be successful...but having read and agreed with these extremely pertinent questions, it does seem like Tommy is making a lot of bad and illogical decisions. Worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:42 pm

He is tactically naive and inept, and I'm getting bored of saying this after every match. We are going to go nowhere other than backwards with TW.

My question to point 4 is why not give them 10-15 mins, we could have a wonder kid waiting for an opportunity, if you don't play them then why name them on the bench at all???

Clueless!!! Wright out!!! :evil:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:47 pm

Yep, time to go.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:57 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:He is tactically naive and inept, and I'm getting bored of saying this after every match. We are going to go nowhere other than backwards with TW.

My question to point 4 is why not give them 10-15 mins, we could have a wonder kid waiting for an opportunity, if you don't play them then why name them on the bench at all???

Err, because there is nobody else to sit on the bench due to an injury-crisis?

:crazy:

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:04 pm

Quakers83 wrote:
real_darlo_85 wrote:He is tactically naive and inept, and I'm getting bored of saying this after every match. We are going to go nowhere other than backwards with TW.

Squad is too light though - it was Tommy’s choice how to spend / spread the budget. Also he could have brought in a loan signing or two - hence the questions above.

jjlewis1k89

Post by jjlewis1k89 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:06 pm

Realistically who would we get to replace him??

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:11 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:
Quakers83 wrote:

Squad is too light though - it was Tommy’s choice how to spend / spread the budget. Also he could have brought in a loan signing or two - hence the questions above.

Well yes, but what real_darlo_85 is questioning is why TW didn’t bring one of the YT’s on - he/she is basically saying why name them when you’re not going to use them.

When in reality we’re going through an injury-crisis, have 5 players unavailable, and it’s as clear as day that these YT’s aren’t ready for first-team football as of yet.

Obviously TW will need to include 5 subs to complete the squad-16, and they could have been used in an emergency - for example, having 3 injuries forcing the changes.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:22 pm

Though we played ok once we got the first 5 minutes out of the way to be honest. Set plays were poor, and we do need to start putting chances away, but I thought we deserved at least a point against a team playing well at the moment.

Anyway, onto next week :)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Mission Impossible

Post by Mission Impossible » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:30 pm

No positives from todays performance - other than Trotman. We had plenty of possession but Hughes and Ainge kept kicking for touch as if it was a rugby game plus we couldn't put enough passes together...... Styche on the wing!
So we have let go of Heaton, Portas, Turnbull and Gillies and brought in Hughes, Burn and Ainge. I just don't get it.
The player who was sent off watched the remainder of the game from the dressing room door - is that allowed?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:35 pm

They showed us how to defend. The way we are now there is no way you could see us retaining a lead for 88 minutes. I believe we will be fighting a relegation battle this season because of the weaknesses in the side, the tactics we employ, the lack of leadership and the shocking inconsistency we display.

DFC blood

Post by DFC blood » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:41 pm

Can we not go out and get 1 or 2 loan players in?instead of having inexperienced kids on the bench that aren't ready for this standard of football yet

I'm sorry but TW isn't the man for us, to be honest I don't think he has a clue tactically, I also get the impression the players aren't playing for him at the moment.

With styche away next week I feel a few lads on loan would not do us any harm, are we ok to do this?

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:44 pm

Wasn't a terrible performance, but it is looking like a season of struggle. Set pieces were awful today, Tommo couldn't deliver a ball to save his life, really had a poor game.

For a player who is supposed to be good at passing the ball, Hughes is surprisingly bad at finding his man. All the long glory balls were over shooting the man, when he played it simple it worked.

Given the resources he has, TW is not delivering. If we go out of the cup at the first hurdle then I don't see him keeping his job.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:58 pm

Hughes was excellent today, both in the air and ball at his feet.

I’m not going to fault him for following Wright’s tactical instructions regarding the diagonal balls from deep, which all of our defensive players played at the first opportunity.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:11 pm

Come on we were better than a team in the top 4, bar there 30th second goal, performance wise we were head and shoulders better than last Saturday, I think for seventy minutes we controlled the game did everything but score. And we have a depleted squad due to injuries and a suspension which is over now, we all know that the squad is less than previous years we have to live within our means, I think that when everyone is available we will see a different approach and the team will get results, it's early days yet. We also have not had any luck going our way. Which has to change, don't get on the backs of the players it doesn't help, be positive and encourage them, stick with it we are Darlington fc, onwards and upwards with Darlington fc.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:12 pm

We had one shot on target

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:16 pm

No we didn’t

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:32 pm

Two - forgot about Reece’s speculative, desperate long shot that the keeper fumbled

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:36 pm

Mission Impossible wrote:No positives from todays performance - other than Trotman. We had plenty of possession but Hughes and Ainge kept kicking for touch as if it was a rugby game plus we couldn't put enough passes together...... Styche on the wing!
So we have let go of Heaton, Portas, Turnbull and Gillies and brought in Hughes, Burn and Ainge. I just don't get it.
The player who was sent off watched the remainder of the game from the dressing room door - is that allowed?
No other positives? What about Hughes or maybe Syers?

Letting go of Heaton? The knives are really out for the Management team aren’t they? I don’t really think TW had a choice in the matter. If your point is that he hasn’t been replaced then I’d agree, but ‘let go’ makes it sound like we released him.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:39 pm

Golden Hair clip, still wrong

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:39 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:Two - forgot about Reece’s speculative, desperate long shot that the keeper fumbled

You’re obviously forgetting a few more too.

Are you including Saunders’ chance when Hughes played him through? Thompson’s shot that their goalkeeper saved or Styche’s chance from the left after beating their full-back that their keeper saved...

I know it’s not much, but a little more than just the one you said earlier.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:41 pm

onewayup wrote:Come on we were better than a team in the top 4, bar there 30th second goal, performance wise we were head and shoulders better than last Saturday, I think for seventy minutes we controlled the game did everything but score. And we have a depleted squad due to injuries and a suspension which is over now, we all know that the squad is less than previous years we have to live within our means, I think that when everyone is available we will see a different approach and the team will get results, it's early days yet. We also have not had any luck going our way. Which has to change, don't get on the backs of the players it doesn't help, be positive and encourage them, stick with it we are Darlington fc, onwards and upwards with Darlington fc.
Might be worth considering that due to their early goal Alfreton could sit back and allow us the ball. They didn't need to come at us, if they had they might have picked us off again. It wasn't a poor performance by any means, but I wouldn't get carried away about controlling the game when you are behind the entire match.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:01 pm

Quakers83 wrote:
The Golden Hairclip wrote:Two - forgot about Reece’s speculative, desperate long shot that the keeper fumbled

You’re obviously forgetting a few more too.

Are you including Saunders’ chance when Hughes played him through? Thompson’s shot that their goalkeeper saved or Styche’s chance from the left after beating their full-back that their keeper saved...

I know it’s not much, but a little more than just the one you said earlier.
Fair enough. Like you say not much to shout about. I want to be positive, I really do, but struggling.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:04 pm

I'm so glad we have improved the shithole and not the team , attendances dwindling, we have a problem with finances obviously but we have to deal with that, so let's get behind the lads as we are in a sticky patch but we will come good.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:17 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:I'm so glad we have improved the shithole and not the team.
I remember everyone on here proclaiming over the summer the players we got rid of were crap anyway, and those who came in were upgrades.

Except they haven't been so far. Sadly my fears about TW from last season are coming to pass again.

It's not just a case of being in a bad spell of form. I really didn't think today we looked like troubling Alfreton. And TW again came up short tactically for me. That massively concerns me. One win in eight, no clean sheets.

TW did earn the chance to build his own team, but at some point, if this carries on, we'll need to ask how long we let it carry on for.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:23 pm

Next three fixtures are:

Telford (home)
Southport (away)
Stockport (home)

Even with a fully fit squad I think we’ll struggle to take more than two points.

Question - if we only pick up a few points and you were in charge, would TW stay or go?

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:50 pm

Quakers83 wrote:
The Golden Hairclip wrote:
Quakers83 wrote:

Well yes, but what real_darlo_85 is questioning is why TW didn’t bring one of the YT’s on - he/she is basically saying why name them when you’re not going to use them.

When in reality we’re going through an injury-crisis, have 5 players unavailable, and it’s as clear as day that these YT’s aren’t ready for first-team football as of yet.

Obviously TW will need to include 5 subs to complete the squad-16, and they could have been used in an emergency - for example, having 3 injuries forcing the changes.
When TW made it clear that the squad would be complemented by youth team players then surely this is a scenario where you stay true to your word in defence of your judgement. If not then you contradict your comments and call into question your initial plan, clearly TW has got this awfully wrong.

He has wasted the budget donated and given to him by us. Quality over quantity, well it only works if the players you bring in are quality and to me, bar 2-3, the majority are mediocre. So our squad is smaller and weaker and is complemented by youth players who he doesn't intend on playing even in the midst of a suspension/injury crisis which is exactly the scenario in which you'd have thought they'd be given a chance!

He is very quickly losing my confidence that he has the ability to turn this around and succeed. I would love him to but I don't think he has it.

Oh and it's 'he' btw. :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Seventynine

Post by Seventynine » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:59 pm

this reminds me of the 12 angry men scenario.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:05 pm

Seventynine wrote:this reminds me of the 12 angry men scenario.
Who’s juror number 8?

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:11 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:I'm so glad we have improved the shithole and not the team.
I remember everyone on here proclaiming over the summer the players we got rid of were crap anyway, and those who came in were upgrades.

Except they haven't been so far. Sadly my fears about TW from last season are coming to pass again.

It's not just a case of being in a bad spell of form. I really didn't think today we looked like troubling Alfreton. And TW again came up short tactically for me. That massively concerns me. One win in eight, no clean sheets.

TW did earn the chance to build his own team, but at some point, if this carries on, we'll need to ask how long we let it carry on for.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
I don't think so Gramps I've never ever said the current crop are an improvement, for starters I'm the biggest fan of Portas , we should never of let him go, as for Turnbull he was a very good player also gutted he left and don't get me started about browny leaving 3 big holes..TW will have to live by these decisions I'm affraid