Aldershot V Darlo 6 Sept 2008 League 2

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Aldershot V Darlo 6 Sept 2008 League 2

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:55 pm

Ten years ago tomorrow (Thurs) we played Aldershot Town away and this game sticks in my mind not because of the football but for the epic rain storm we had to drive through on our way down South on the Friday before. The rain simply hammered it down all day making driving dangerous and making the game itself in doubt.

On the field we weren't too bad but I remember we never really looked like getting a result - which we didn't as we lost 2 - 1.

Here are the players involved for Darlo - one or two of my favourites here - Simon Brown in goal is the only one I'd forgotten about.

Simon Brown
Alan White
Stephen Foster
Neil Austin
Adam Proudlock
Ryan Valentine
Adam Griffin
Richard Ravenhill
Robin Hulbert
David Poole
Robert Purdie
Jason Kennedy
Gregg Blundell
Billy Clarke
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

don'tbuythesun

Re: Aldershot V Darlo 6 Sept 2008 League 2

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:10 am

As we're having a history moment I was looking at Lincoln red imps and came across this:
http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/30-Clu ... ng-feeling

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:46 am

One comment has a particular resonance even today. "There seems to be an epidemic of apathy amongst the majority of the populace"

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:31 pm

I remember a game at Aldershot, probably over 30 years ago when I think we won 4-5 and the ref played about 10 minutes injury time at the end of the second half. There was a guy at the game who lived on the south coast and his surname was Cockerton and he had discovered that there was a Cockerton in Darlo and for that reason alone he followed Darlo whenever we played on or near the south coast.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:40 am

Almost as bad as my decision to stick a pin in the division 4 table 45 years ago and what a journey that's been!

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:45 pm

banktopp wrote:One comment has a particular resonance even today. "There seems to be an epidemic of apathy amongst the majority of the populace"
And the Leeds and Newcastle support... as an outsider who came to follow Darlo later on due to moving here, I've never understood that - especially Leeds. I now travel a fair way, sometimes by train into town on saturdays from Redcar, only to find those born, raised and living in Darlo stood on the platform, off to watch Newcastle...

But then I hail from a town that's 7 miles from Swansea and 35 miles from Cardiff, yet is very much half and half support wise...

divas

Post by divas » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:48 pm

Ahh the season when we ran out of money and lost decent players and recruited s*** over the summer then seemingly had a cash injection and signed some decent players later on.