You are here: darlofc.co.uk » Board index » The Uncovered Forums » Virtual Feethams
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:56 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 4110
Team Supported: Darlington
Working on the assumption Styche and Ainge are both available for the Southport game, what should TW do with them both?

It seems brutally obvious to me that we have to start with the 4-5-1 which served us well today and in the second half of last season. I know TW was keen on developing that partnership between Styche and Ainge, but for me the team just looks better playing 4-5-1 with Syers in behind.

And after today's performance, there's no way you can drop Hughes at CB.

You can possibly make an argument for Hughes and Ainge at CB, which would be tough on Jonny Burn. But after today, you stick with what's working so Burn and Hughes at CB next game.

I'm struggling to see how TW can do anything other than swap Saunders for Styche and put Ainge on the bench. To me, it seems foolish to do anything else.

_________________
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY


Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:46 pm
Posts: 116
Team Supported: Darlington
In all honesty, I’d stick with the XI we fielded today. Highly unfair on anyone who is dropped after today’s near perfect performance, and I’d assume that Ainge, Styche and Tez will accept that.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 4110
Team Supported: Darlington
As good as Saunders was, I just don't see how you can leave out Styche - our top scorer and best player. It'd be daft to leave him out.

It'd be tough on Saunders of course but Styche is the better finisher and better player. And Styche played in the same system to great effect for the team in the second half of last season.

_________________
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Posts: 11015
Team Supported: Darlington
I'd keep the same side apart from swapping Saunders for Styche. If players are out, they can't expect to walk back into the team, especially after yesterday's performance.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 1035
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlo_Pete wrote:
I'd keep the same side apart from swapping Saunders for Styche. If players are out, they can't expect to walk back into the team, especially after yesterday's performance.

"can't expect to walk back into the team"............…..like you are suggesting Styche does Pete? Difficult (but nice decision) for TW to make but don't tinker with something that works. Saunders seems to be playing his best football ever could knock him back if dropped after a performance like that, and the same goes for rest of the team. Leave well alone TW!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 pm
Posts: 499
Location: Hereford
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlogramps wrote:
Working on the assumption Styche and Ainge are both available for the Southport game, what should TW do with them both?

It seems brutally obvious to me that we have to start with the 4-5-1 which served us well today and in the second half of last season. I know TW was keen on developing that partnership between Styche and Ainge, but for me the team just looks better playing 4-5-1 with Syers in behind.

And after today's performance, there's no way you can drop Hughes at CB.

You can possibly make an argument for Hughes and Ainge at CB, which would be tough on Jonny Burn. But after today, you stick with what's working so Burn and Hughes at CB next game.

I'm struggling to see how TW can do anything other than swap Saunders for Styche and put Ainge on the bench. To me, it seems foolish to do anything else.

Quite agree with that, but I think TW is a stubborn guy who may well try to play Ainge and Styche up front again.
It seems we find the best system 4-5-1 by default and not design when players are unavailable or injured. Playing Hughes at CB seems to have been a great success again by default. He obviously struggled in a midfield role and but for injuries would still be playing there or on the bench.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Posts: 1393
Team Supported: Darlington
The saying is don't change a winning team, so for me same team as Saturday for next game, stych, ainge on the bench, yesterday's team reward for the hard work, this team have set a standard which we should now aim to keep and better as the season moves on. Onwards and upwards with Darlington fc, again I say well done to all of the team.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Posts: 1124
Team Supported: Darlington
banktopp wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Working on the assumption Styche and Ainge are both available for the Southport game, what should TW do with them both?

It seems brutally obvious to me that we have to start with the 4-5-1 which served us well today and in the second half of last season. I know TW was keen on developing that partnership between Styche and Ainge, but for me the team just looks better playing 4-5-1 with Syers in behind.

And after today's performance, there's no way you can drop Hughes at CB.

You can possibly make an argument for Hughes and Ainge at CB, which would be tough on Jonny Burn. But after today, you stick with what's working so Burn and Hughes at CB next game.

I'm struggling to see how TW can do anything other than swap Saunders for Styche and put Ainge on the bench. To me, it seems foolish to do anything else.

Quite agree with that, but I think TW is a stubborn guy who may well try to play Ainge and Styche up front again.
It seems we find the best system 4-5-1 by default and not design when players are unavailable or injured. Playing Hughes at CB seems to have been a great success again by default. He obviously struggled in a midfield role and but for injuries would still be playing there or on the bench.


4-5-1 is definitely our strongest formation in every area. Syers and Hughes should be undroppable after their performances.

Tough for Tommy, but I’d retain an unchanged eleven.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Posts: 711
Team Supported: Darlington
Same XI, but Styche in for Saunders.

Tough on Saunders, but hey ho.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Posts: 20959
Team Supported: Darlington
Another one in the replace Saunders with Styche camp.

4-5-1 does work best for us because Syers is so good in that role that he plays - think MBW a few years back. It also works because Styche revels in being the spearhead of the attack.

I'm a big fan of Ainge already because I can see he's got so much more to come - I just can't believe how good he is in the air. But yeah, he may have to bide his time.

Tommy may well go 4-4-2 though because we signed Ainge for that reason. Dropping Syers would be incredibly harsh.

As others have said, it's a good problem to have.

_________________
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:25 am
Posts: 943
Location: Darlington
Team Supported: Darlington
Saunders ahead of Styche ......... Seriously: What have some of you been smoking. Not even when "Young Harvey" gets his first pair of long trousers.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Posts: 11121
Location: Darlington
Team Supported: Darlington
tezza wrote:
Saunders ahead of Styche ......... Seriously: What have some of you been smoking. Not even when "Young Harvey" gets his first pair of long trousers.

The same Harvey Saunders who’s scored 2 in 3... He’s not as bad as people make out ffs.

_________________
18/19 Season:
LDWDLDLWDLLWWDDDD


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 pm
Posts: 499
Location: Hereford
Team Supported: Darlington
AndyPark wrote:
tezza wrote:
Saunders ahead of Styche ......... Seriously: What have some of you been smoking. Not even when "Young Harvey" gets his first pair of long trousers.

The same Harvey Saunders who’s scored 2 in 3... He’s not as bad as people make out ffs.
I don't think anyone is making out he is bad. Quite the opposite.
But if you have to choose between Styche or Saunders then it has to be Styche.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:54 am
Posts: 75
Team Supported: Darlington
I think that TW had in mind playing 3-5-2 when he brought Ainge in, as both Trotman and O’Hanlon are excellent going forward as wing backs but maybe not as solid defensively at times. Clearly, it never seems to work and leaves a doubt over where thommo plays.

Difficult one, because we absolutely tore Blyth apart with 4-4-2, probably the best we have seen for a few years. However 4-2-3-1 seems to work and always looks better when Syers is that role behind, meaning it’s Ainge or Styche with probably Styche winning.

Anyone who thinks Saunders should play instead of Styche has lost the plot!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Posts: 12496
Team Supported: Darlington
Styche obviously has to come back in but i was impressed with Saunders yesterday. Easily his best game in a Darlo shirt and on another day could have had 2 or possibly even 3. You can see the work that Tommy & Alan have been putting into him and for the first time yesterday I thought he might actually develop into a decent player


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Posts: 3475
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlo2807 wrote:
In all honesty, I’d stick with the XI we fielded today. Highly unfair on anyone who is dropped after today’s near perfect performance, and I’d assume that Ainge, Styche and Tez will accept that.


Ainge and "Tez" might accept that, and I would put them on the bench for Saturday, but Styche? He's been away on international duty, he's our captain, and on his day our best player - so he'll be expecting to come straight back in. Saunders had a good game and well done to him but he surely knows he won't replace Styche unless Styche is unavailable for some reason.

I thought that Syers had a great game yesterday and made the team look more inventive, it would be a shame to drop him back to the bench.

As for Ainge, what a great player to have as a sub, as he's effective in two positions.

_________________
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Posts: 5754
Team Supported: Darlington
Saunders is work in progress and isn't ready to lead the line every week. If we go to Southport and expect the same results with him then chances are we would end up disappointed. Its not fair to Saunders to keep him in when the likes of Styche is available, the pressure on him is big enough without having Styche breathing down his neck from the sidelines.
Styche is proven at this level and if he's available he plays IMO.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Posts: 4978
Team Supported: Darlington
Really feels harsh but you have to play Styche and the obvious player to drop out is Saunders, I don't think dropping Syers to go 442 at this stage is the way forward. I guess it shows how well the team and Saunders played yesterday for some to contemplate not changing the team.

Going back to playing 442 is possible when Wheatley & Elliott are available as they both can defend & attack but mainly give the other forward players and full backs licence to attack. They are the most dynamic midfield pairing we have had for some time, I don't actually think we could play 442 without those two in the team.

We have discussed it before and for me I think Wright has signed some decent players but they have/will take time to bed in, a bit unlucky with injuries/suspensions & he has seemed to struggle to use them all correctly.

Hope we go on a bit of a decent run now be good to get back to having some positivity around.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Posts: 3475
Team Supported: Darlington
Just to derail this thread slightly I noticed yesterday that all 4 clubs promoted out of our league since we've been in it are now top 7 in the Conference.

Harrogate/Salford/Fylde and Halifax.

_________________
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:55 pm
Posts: 2524
Team Supported: Darlington
Styche has said on Twitter that he wouldn't drop any of the team, that you don't change a winning team.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Posts: 4978
Team Supported: Darlington
shawry wrote:
Styche has said on Twitter that he wouldn't drop any of the team, that you don't change a winning team.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk


Wouldn't expect him to say anything else, Wright will have to decide if he wants to stick with Harvey as his main attacking outlet or bring in either Styche or Ainge. Southport are third bottom and a win will be what most hope for so Wright will have some pressure to go for it.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Posts: 2401
Team Supported: Darlington
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Just to derail this thread slightly I noticed yesterday that all 4 clubs promoted out of our league since we've been in it are now top 7 in the Conference.

Harrogate/Salford/Fylde and Halifax.

All full time with money, that makes a big difference


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:11 pm
Posts: 2111
Team Supported: Darlington
There’s only one decision to be made so far as I can see and that’s Styche or Saunders. I like a Styche a lot and he’ll probably get the nod but I don’t think it’s as straightforward as most on here seem to reckon.

Styche gives you guile and cunning, Saunders gives you pace and mobility. Aside from two worldy saves from headers in the games against Altrincham and Telford it would be an even closer call.

I am finding it hard to figure out how to crowbar more than one of Styche, Ainge, and Saunders in to the eleven though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:06 pm
Posts: 816
Team Supported: Darlington
loan_star wrote:
Saunders is work in progress and isn't ready to lead the line every week. If we go to Southport and expect the same results with him then chances are we would end up disappointed. Its not fair to Saunders to keep him in when the likes of Styche is available, the pressure on him is big enough without having Styche breathing down his neck from the sidelines.
Styche is proven at this level and if he's available he plays IMO.


So when will Harvey be ready? He's not a kid anymore. He won't get better without games, and after a good performance like yesterday's, won't his confidence be sky high for next week? Like Styche himself, I say leave the team alone.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:17 pm
Posts: 164
Team Supported: Darlington
As was usually said in the management training videos - "don't bring me problems, bring me solutions".

Why is having more than one way of setting up to play the game proving to be seen as a problem? Surely having the possibility of having a plan B is a positive. How often has it been considered that if you have a single style of play that you might eventually get "found out". I like the formation that we played on Saturday and for the latter part of last season, but to have 4-4-2 alternative, if the situation demands it, is surely a good thing. And having at least one additional potent force up front, to cover for absences is something that was regularly raised last season when we appeared to rely too much on Styche to give our attack a focal point.

As for who gets the nod at Southport, I'm happy to let the manager judge it when he knows who he has available. We don't know yet if Ainge will be recovered by next week, so two up front may not be on anyway.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 4110
Team Supported: Darlington
AndyPark wrote:
tezza wrote:
Saunders ahead of Styche ......... Seriously: What have some of you been smoking. Not even when "Young Harvey" gets his first pair of long trousers.

The same Harvey Saunders who’s scored 2 in 3... He’s not as bad as people make out ffs.
Whoop, whoop, two in three. Not exactly a broad sample there Andy.

_________________
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Posts: 1252
Team Supported: Darlington
Maybe having very experienced strikers around him is helping develop Harvey's game? He's certainly hitting the target and his confidence must be sky high. I'm really pleased for him, always gives 100% and at least he's not stuck on the bench like Vaulks.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Posts: 11015
Team Supported: Darlington
Saw Saunders goal at Ashton Utd, which was just a tap in, all be it under pressure from a couple of Sutton Utd players. I have been fairly critical of Saunders for a while now, but I have to admit he has improved considerably at the start of this season. But Styche is more of a natural finisher and so should get the nod ahead of Saunders.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Posts: 2401
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Saw Saunders goal at Ashton Utd, which was just a tap in, all be it under pressure from a couple of Sutton Utd players. I have been fairly critical of Saunders for a while now, but I have to admit he has improved considerably at the start of this season. But Styche is more of a natural finisher and so should get the nod ahead of Saunders.

Ashton or Sutton Pete??[emoji848]


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Styche and Ainge
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Posts: 1120
Team Supported: Darlington
Not sure how bad the jet lag is from Lichtenstein, but Gib (& Styche) failed to score whilst the squad players took their chances & makes it a tough decision for TW as who to leave out. One solution is try to play 4-5-2 then hope the ref doesn't spot the extra man. Given the standard of refs we have seen in this league, reckon 50/50 we could get away with it ;)
Seriously we could be resting players who are not 100% fit, for example Tez. Most of the lads hearts are in the right place and would play even if not 100% fit, but this may cause them problems in long term so let's not risk damage.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: al_quaker, dfc4me, Ghost_Of_1883, hall0a6, poppyfield and 31 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group