Southport v Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

shawry
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport v Darlington

Post by shawry » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:57 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
50 years wrote:I thought that Burn did ok to be honest in both of the last two games, he looks much more comfortable next to Hughes who was quite vocal organising the defence and they make a good pairing, I would not change pairing as it can only improve with game time together. Hughes is very good at anticipating and has a great footballing brain being in the right place, looks a perfect centre back being strong in the air and in tackle not to mention his ability to accurately pass the ball and not panic under pressure. Also need to say you can see he is losing weight and getting fitter. With Collins and Galbraith able to cover the full back places we have cover at the back in all areas.

Our weakness is in midfield with not a lot of cover for that central area with only Elliott and Wheatley. Mitchell Glover played ok, not wasting many passes, but needs to build up a bit of strength (like Saunders has), he was more of a holding midfielder than dynamic but the stronger opposition players were able to overpower him a few times and lacked a bit of strength in the tackles but he is still very young and that will come.

We have options up front and on wings, and Saunders looks better every time I see him play now.

Some of the young lads on the bench look useful as well

Think the future is bright in my humble opinion
Agreed we are short centre mid, but I suppose until we can move Caton on our hands are tied. At some point I think we need to try and come to a compromise about paying Caton off, as Tommy doesn’t fancy him. Then he can go and try and get a contract elsewhere.
I'd assume he is being allowed to find a club elsewhere, but is struggling to. It will be easier for us to keep paying his wages while he looks rather than pay him off.

If he found a club I'd bet we'd let him go for nothing to free up the wage.

Im guessing his injuries are hampering his search as No one will take a chance, so financially he is better off seeing out his contract with us.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:10 am

I think Collins is in the same boat now.

A perma-injured, bang average defender who can't complete 90 minutes, drawing a nice "Gray era" wage for basically bot all.

We could probably get 3 decent part time players in from their combined wages.

However they are contracted so unless they're prepared to walk (I wouldn't) we're just going to have to keep on paying them.

We might as well keep them in the squad and use them on the bench when they're available - there's just no point in freezing them out.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:48 am

Darlopartisan wrote:Anyone know how bad Wheatley injury is?
And Syers?

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:26 pm

Quakerz wrote:I think Collins is in the same boat now.

A perma-injured, bang average defender who can't complete 90 minutes, drawing a nice "Gray era" wage for basically bot all.

However they are contracted so unless they're prepared to walk (I wouldn't) we're just going to have to keep on paying them.

We might as well keep them in the squad and use them on the bench when they're available - there's just no point in freezing them out.
Can't see Collins playing for us again after what came out, as above he is always injured and I don't think he is any better than our current defenders. However, when he is back fit I can see him getting a loan deal somewhere.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:28 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:I think Collins is in the same boat now.

Can't see Collins playing for us again after what came out, as above he is always injured and I don't think he is any better than our current defenders. However, when he is back fit I can see him getting a loan deal somewhere.
Agreed. The lad has some talent but seems to lack the desire to play for our club. Given our current situation, nothing but 100% commitment is enough. We can't afford to keep players who are only here for the money.

en passant

Post by en passant » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:59 pm

Having watched the match highlights I was surprised that what was being talked of as a stone wall penalty for Darlo was dismissed by the commentary team as certainly not a spot kick. From what I saw it appeared to be a good shout but they had the benefit of seeing it as the ref would have in real time. Maybe not as certain as we might have liked. On the other hand, I can't help but be dismayed at the foul that led to Southport's penalty. It looked completely unnecessary and but for Madison's superb stop would have cost us the match. So whilst applauding our second clean sheet in a row, it wouldn't be right to join the dots between this game and last week's home win and claim that we've turned a corner and are on the up. More evidence needed.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:24 pm

en passant wrote:Having watched the match highlights I was surprised that what was being talked of as a stone wall penalty for Darlo was dismissed by the commentary team as certainly not a spot kick. From what I saw it appeared to be a good shout but they had the benefit of seeing it as the ref would have in real time. Maybe not as certain as we might have liked. On the other hand, I can't help but be dismayed at the foul that led to Southport's penalty. It looked completely unnecessary and but for Madison's superb stop would have cost us the match. So whilst applauding our second clean sheet in a row, it wouldn't be right to join the dots between this game and last week's home win and claim that we've turned a corner and are on the up. More evidence needed.
I think I am in the minority but I don't think it was a stone wall penalty. In real time it looked like it was worth a hopeful shout and that's what the video shows too. Nicholson gets to the ball first and then initiates the contact with the defender. Don't get me wrong I've seen them given but he's gone looking for it a bit (as I would have done too!).

There's no doubt about the one at the other end and according to Tommy himself they should have had another clear one too in the first half which looked dodgy to say the least so I don't think we can complain too much.