Forced Promotion

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

Post Reply
darlo reborn
Posts: 1282
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Forced Promotion

Post by darlo reborn » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:56 am

Interesting how both teams Morpeth and Maske who had to take promotion are 1 & 2 in the east division

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11730
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Forced Promotion

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:58 am

Not surprising, as the NL has been in it's own bubble for yonks. At least it'll show the rest of the NL that there is life after promotion.

JE93
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Forced Promotion

Post by JE93 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:17 am

Not bad news. We need a few more teams to get moving, would be good to see the likes of Sheilds and Scarborough come up to this level, whole it means increased competition it would also mean reduced travelling and most likely some increased attendances. Especially if the look of the bottom end of the conference table remains similar throughout the season. Could be 4 relegated southern clubs and we could be in the situation the conference north extends even further south.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11730
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Forced Promotion

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:25 am

My one concern with forced promotion, is that the NL over a few years will be considerably weakened, if there are no clubs going back into the NL if they suffer relegation.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6024
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Forced Promotion

Post by loan_star » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:38 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:My one concern with forced promotion, is that the NL over a few years will be considerably weakened, if there are no clubs going back into the NL if they suffer relegation.
Or more than likely get back to its true level.
Thing is there will always be players too good for the NL who prefer to stay there and get home in time for tea every week.

dickdarlington
Posts: 1473
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Forced Promotion

Post by dickdarlington » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:39 pm

Historically, I believe that there was only one Northern League division, so what harm would there be in reducing that as other teams rightfully find a natural position further up. We know the likes of Whitley Bay/Bish and probably Ashington could play further up. Durham too if they could sort themselves out. And most others would find it adequetly comfortable to travel in the east divison if there were other clubs close by. It's going to take a while though for this to balance itself out.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11730
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Forced Promotion

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:45 pm

dickdarlington wrote:Historically, I believe that there was only one Northern League division, so what harm would there be in reducing that as other teams rightfully find a natural position further up. We know the likes of Whitley Bay/Bish and probably Ashington could play further up. Durham too if they could sort themselves out. And most others would find it adequetly comfortable to travel in the east divison if there were other clubs close by. It's going to take a while though for this to balance itself out.
I think what'll happen in reality is that sides will get promoted from the Wearside League and the Northumberland equivalent until no more sides want to be promoted to the NL as they are too small clubs. I agree that down the road there is the possibility that the NL will revert to just one league.

lo36789
Posts: 8026
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Forced Promotion

Post by lo36789 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:37 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
dickdarlington wrote:Historically, I believe that there was only one Northern League division, so what harm would there be in reducing that as other teams rightfully find a natural position further up. We know the likes of Whitley Bay/Bish and probably Ashington could play further up. Durham too if they could sort themselves out. And most others would find it adequetly comfortable to travel in the east divison if there were other clubs close by. It's going to take a while though for this to balance itself out.
I think what'll happen in reality is that sides will get promoted from the Wearside League and the Northumberland equivalent until no more sides want to be promoted to the NL as they are too small clubs. I agree that down the road there is the possibility that the NL will revert to just one league.
Not sure if that is consistent with the trend elsewhere. In past two season NWC Prem have promoted Atherton colls and Runcorn Linnets and both are sat in top 4 of evostik West (Goole were the team relegated last year so North west counties were ‘down’ a team). In the same year though the league expanded from two division to three introducing a North and south split at division 1.

The only other factor that has supported that switch NWC have received teams like Carlisle City who I think historically would have been in the NL. I am sure I recall reading tha teams in Cumbria always felt they got a rough deal from NL committee when it came to ground grading etc. compared to the club which happened to be on Amos and the committees doorstep (or at least on the bus route).

In the North West teams are desperate to get as high and as far in the pyramid as they can. Are the ambitions the same in the north east?

spen666
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Forced Promotion

Post by spen666 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:42 am

lo36789 wrote:....

In the North West teams are desperate to get as high and as far in the pyramid as they can. Are the ambitions the same in the north east?

I think a big factor in the difference between NE & NW is geography.

There are virtually no teams in NW North of Greater Manchester. In the NE, all the teams in a similar geographical position ie West Yorks sidewant promotion. Its the far NE ie Cleveland, Durham & Northumberland who are reluctant. There is not the same number of clubs in the equivalent far NW position ( mainly because its so rural). Thus comparing the NL teams with the NWC is not a fair geographic comparison
Twitter: @spen_666

Post Reply