FC United V Darlington match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: FC United V Darlington match thread

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:36 pm

Thought we played well and could have won by more as others have said. Thing Maddison is developing into a more than capable keeper. Towards the end when they were putting us under pressure from set pieces, he came and comfortably caught the ball, which gives the whole team a lift.

Talked to a guy on the tram on my way to Old Trafford after the game and he'd been to the game as a Man Utd fan. He was very surprised at the quality of the football at that level and thought we looked a pretty decent side. He was also impressed with our away following, which he said looked like a good 300.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:20 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Even with a budget reduction, with the players we have, surely we can compete in the top half at least. We're told by management we should be. Yet time and again, we end up nearer the relegation zone.
That statement makes no sense because where we were last week, where we are this week, where we are next week, isn't where we have "ended up".

We have ended up 12th under TW, once.

We've never ended up nearer the relegation zone time and time again under TW Image
If you want to quibble over semantics, then go ahead.

After the Stockport defeat, we ended up near the relegation zone. Not difficult to understand.

You for some reason have taken an ultra-literal interpretation (which seems a tad unnecessary and bizarre). But most intelligent people on here can see that "end up" is perfectly legitimate in a number of contexts.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:27 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Quakers83 wrote:
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:I wasn't at the game yesterday but was thoroughly entertained by Mr Cansfield and Mr Winter on Darlo Fans radio - was it Hall or was it Nicholson had me in stitches for a while.
On the Tommy debate, I think we are where we are. I think we have reached a ceiling of where we can go until the stadium issue is resolved. We cannot go full time so we will always be inconsistent playing against sides with better resources.
I think we should at the very least have plans/agreements in place move back to the Arena if we were to get promoted at some point in the future.
If that is not viable then we need to start working with the council on land for a potential new stadium and start the fundraising and partnerships with local/large businesses.
An example is Bishop Auckland. Sainsburys contributed to their new stadium. Hopefully now that the dinosaurs are leaving the council we can work with the council on a way forward. With the town center dying it is going to need massive investment and maybe the football club could be part of that.
That’s a bizarre way of linking TW to our ground situation. Yes, we are where we are, at a competitive level of football only two promotions away from the Football League. But languishing 16th, or 19th before yesterday’s game, isn’t really where we ‘want to be’ given the resources available. Our budget is a competitive one, likely to be in the top-half of this league.

The general consensus isn’t a case of fans being upset that Wright isn’t having us challenging in the top three and as a result promotion to the NL - but more of a case of the fact we’ve only won 3 games this season, have put in some poor performances, crashed out the FA Cup at the first time of asking and prior to yesterday, sat one point away from the relegation zone.

I’m pretty confident the majority of fans would be happy if we were in and around 7th place with a few FA Cup wins in addition. I don’t see any desperation or obsession with securing promotion. We’re work in progress, staying at this level for a few years would do the club no harm, but that’s only providing we’re competitive - E.G, being in and around the play-offs whilst having a go at the cup/trophy.

What we’re seeing now is crowds dwindling, but if we were pushing for the play-offs the club generates not only more revenue but there’s a bit of buzz and excitement. As for being inconsistent against teams with better resources, we’ve had defeats against part-time teams such as Curzon Ashton, Altrincham, Bradford Park Avenue and Alfreton (?) - these are teams with similar or less resources. We also failed to beat Blyth and Ashton who are in the same boat, and ironically some of our good results have been against some good spenders in Brackley & Spennymoor.

TW is perfect for this club providing we can find a level of consistency and flirt with the play-offs. Nobody is demanding promotion - you’ll have a few people out there who’ll want immediate progress in order to return to our FL days ASAP, but following three promotions in four seasons we were always going to slow down at some point. The club is re-building itself, this takes time.
Exactly this- apart from the TW being perfect for us bit. I'm not convinced he's suited to being a manager at all.

There's a weird, deliberate misinterpretation of any criticism of TW. We see it time after time on here, as if anyone who raises questions about his ability is in some way impatient and demands a rapid return to the Football League.

There may be a handful of individuals elsewhere but it's not the consensus or the majority view. Most Wright-sceptics simply think we should be performing better than an annual flirtation with the bottom three. Even with a budget reduction, with the players we have, surely we can compete in the top half at least. We're told by management we should be. Yet time and again, we end up nearer the relegation zone.

To be critical of that isn't the same as expecting a top three challenge. So this line being pushed by some of TW's most enthusiastic supporters is entirely wrong.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Perfect in the sense that he is a genuine likeable guy, understands the financial constraints of a fan-owned club, young, and affiliated through his playing days. Don’t get me wrong, I know that doesn’t really matter or stand for much as it’s a results business, but I really, really want him to turn things around. For where we are as a club at the moment, making strides to improve the whole set-up whilst adhering to tight budgets, I’m just thinking ‘what if’ currently - I’d love to see 1,500+ at Blackwell Meadows every home game, pushing towards the top seven and a buzz about the place like there was post Eindhoven.

But as I say, it’s the results that are lacking, and that ultimately is what drives things forward.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:32 pm

Quakers83 wrote: Perfect in the sense that he is a genuine likeable guy, understands the financial constraints of a fan-owned club, young, and affiliated through his playing days. Don’t get me wrong, I know that doesn’t really matter or stand for much as it’s a results business, but I really, really want him to turn things around. For where we are as a club at the moment, making strides to improve the whole set-up whilst adhering to tight budgets, I’m just thinking ‘what if’ currently - I’d love to see 1,500+ at Blackwell Meadows every home game, pushing towards the top seven and a buzz about the place like there was post Eindhoven.

But as I say, it’s the results that are lacking, and that ultimately is what drives things forward.
Yeah I see what you mean and don't disagree at all. I think everyone wants him to be a success (contrary to popular belief, that includes me) and without doubt he comes across as being more personable and approachable than his predecessor, for example. But as you say, it means little if he's not producing results on the pitch.

I do wonder how much he is being judged on his own merits. Or is he judged a lot against MG? E.G. We say a lot that he's friendly and personable, which it seems undeniable that he is. But to what extent are we saying that because MG always came across as being difficult and not particularly agreeable or easy to get on with?
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:14 am

Having now seen the highlights, I've changed me mind on the refereeing. I think the one I thought he got wrong he got right and the twomhe got right he got wrong.

The penalty shout looks like it might have been a pen, but it was given as a dive, the first red looks like the ref got it right, it was a second booking, and Jonny Madison looks a lucky boy with the second red at the end.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:39 am

tdk1 wrote:Having now seen the highlights, I've changed me mind on the refereeing. I think the one I thought he got wrong he got right and the twomhe got right he got wrong.

The penalty shout looks like it might have been a pen, but it was given as a dive, the first red looks like the ref got it right, it was a second booking, and Jonny Madison looks a lucky boy with the second red at the end.
Was a win and three points but the play made me think of NL days. The standard and quality of football was very poor from both sides. When they scored you could see the confidence drain and a lot of players heads dropped. Thankfully we got a lucky goal (at last the gods smiled)
Ainge was not interested, hardly broke sweat, it was not until the 70th minute he ran to chase a ball down. His few remarks to other players, I could hear were not constructive, encouraging or rousing but moan, bloody moan, moan, he is not captain material. Several supporters thought he had something on TW as we could not believe it took so long to sub him. Does TW have unrealistic loyalty to players he brought in?
Ohanlon had a better game, but like Trotman are good going forward but woeful running back & not defenders it is time Whitey changes this as the Ex- Nuneaton players seem to be undroppable.
We are a very long way from staying up and any Boston scouts watching the game must be rubbing their hands in anticipation!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:41 am

Doesn't look to me like Ainge is enjoying his time at the club for whatever reason. It's a shame because with the right service he showed at Harrogate what he's capable of. On paper a Styche-Ainge partnership looked like something to strike fear but it's not worked out like that.

Overall on the game when you look at the highlights, at times it had the look of schoolkids football with both sides hurtling forward and huge gaps opening up in both defences. To me it was astonishing that they were able to score from that corner when the ball was played in to around the penalty spot and their player was able to knock it into the net without any our players cutting it out or putting in any sort of challenge on the scorer. It did just look like basic stuff. We were also all over the place in the immediate aftermath and could easily have been 2-0 down before being handed an absolute fluke goal.

And again in the second half when they were down to ten men and they surged forward and we left their Number 3 completely unmarked on the edge of the box and he should have scored but thankfully fluffed it. The lack of organisation at times is just astonishing to me and, like people have said, Boston must be relishing the chance to add to our woeful home record.

I didn't want to go into some of this stuff in the immediate aftermath of the match because I thought it might be seen as just being negative after we have won. But it does have to be said and TW more or less admitted that our game management is dreadful because, well, that's just the way we are.

This win really does need to be the launchpad for some real progress now otherwise it will be seen as just papering over the cracks because we were playing against a side missing 8 players and with just two experienced players surrounded by a bunch of kids.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:08 am

Ainge still seems not to be 100% fit, hence shadow of the threat he was at Harrogate. Again we lacked organisation and coherent formation or implementation of suitable tactics. Eddie R has a point with captaincy not being about moaning, but getting the team to sort themselves out when circumstances on the field change. Our failure to capitalise on our luck and their red cards, partly due to lack of direction, meant that we looked like we were just holding on at the end. Basic lack of applying footballing principles e.g. holding up the ball, keeping possession, making sensible challenges and converting our half chances. At least we came away with 3 points and hopefully this will help restore some of the squad's confidence so we can continue to rise up the league. Boston will be a much bigger challenge than FCUM.

en passant

Post by en passant » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:17 am

The confidence issue has been referred to by both TW and the players and it seems clear that with that and potential backlash for not beating the bottom club under the most extremely favourable circumstances the players might be excused for not knowing if they should stick or twist when a goal and a man up. But all's well that ends well (ta Will S), but I can see the team having the same problems this coming week, even though we have a win under our belts. I don't imagine that such a skinny win as this will quite expunge the fear of flying that seems to have gripped even the most reliable performers. The weight of the disasterous home record will make things difficult for a team still searching for its mojo, and, of course, no one can doubt that next week's opponents will not provide the opportunity for a gimme win. I think the players (whoever plays) will go into the game against Boston in a similarly tentative fashion as they did on Saturday and I think that trying to convince them that they can play up to the standard that was hoped for at the start of the season may well be beyond the normal management skill set. I seem to recall many moons ago some self-proclaimed faith healer type giving the team some g-up exercises in boosting self-confidence and they went out and won their next home game by a cricket score. Can we get hold of someone similar before Saturday?

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:19 am

The elephant in the room are the elephants on the pitch.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:40 am

en passant wrote:The confidence issue has been referred to by both TW and the players and it seems clear that with that and potential backlash for not beating the bottom club under the most extremely favourable circumstances the players might be excused for not knowing if they should stick or twist when a goal and a man up. But all's well that ends well (ta Will S), but I can see the team having the same problems this coming week, even though we have a win under our belts. I don't imagine that such a skinny win as this will quite expunge the fear of flying that seems to have gripped even the most reliable performers. The weight of the disasterous home record will make things difficult for a team still searching for its mojo, and, of course, no one can doubt that next week's opponents will not provide the opportunity for a gimme win. I think the players (whoever plays) will go into the game against Boston in a similarly tentative fashion as they did on Saturday and I think that trying to convince them that they can play up to the standard that was hoped for at the start of the season may well be beyond the normal management skill set. I seem to recall many moons ago some self-proclaimed faith healer type giving the team some g-up exercises in boosting self-confidence and they went out and won their next home game by a cricket score. Can we get hold of someone similar before Saturday?
The bloke you’re thinking of is Paul Trevillion.He got Gordon Catrell to do the “hat trick”,(knock a top hat off a stool on the goal line from the penalty spot,which he did first time),and we then beat Cambridge (I think) 6-0.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:13 pm

Not entirely magic or psychology by Paul T. Legend has it several physical adjustments were made to the away dressing room, including leaving some rotting cabbages in there for days before, dropping the heating etc. Worked well though & Cambridge United were no mugs at the time!

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:49 pm

From watching the highlights, Credit to Harvey Saunders, he really worked all game and was tireless in his running. I think he deserves a bit of credit for the first goal, although he was fortunate to have the ball headed at him there is definitely a movement from him towards the ball to send it goalwards (I'm not say he planned to loop it over the keeper, but if you show those instincts it can often lead to goals).

As for their main talking points, I thought they should have had the penalty in the first half, their man making a theatrical fall when clipped probably didn't help them in the end. Even after that they should have scored as their LB ghosted in and hit the outside of the post at the second attempt. I thought the first red was correct, their lad had over committed and lunged in late on Wheatley, second yellow all day long. I still for the life of me don't know what that second red card was for. The Linesman closest to it gives it instantly, but looks like a let off for Maddision still not sure what was wrong with it.

We still need to improve our organisation, probably because we are lacking a few leaders on the pitch who command and move other players around the pitch with their talking. Added to that I sill think 4-2-3-1 suits us more. Gives us greater coverage when we're out of possession and encourages one of the CM's to drop deeper which is what we need if our fullbacks push on.

Boston on Saturday will be more of an acid test. Think we need to change back to a 4-2-3-1 for me. Syers in for Ainge. Possibly Nicholson in for Henshall. Saunders keeps his spot up top.

---------------------------- Maddison ----------------------------

Trotman ------------ Hughes----- Galbraith ------------ O'Hanlon

--------------------- Elliott ------- Wheatley -------------------

Thompson ------------------ Syers ------------------ Nicholson

----------------------------- Saunders ---------------------------

Subs: Hall, Burn, Styche, Ainge, Henshall.

en passant

Post by en passant » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:01 pm

Just looked up the Cambridge game stats and see that the goals were scored by Don Burluraux, Stan Webb, Eric Young, Colin Sinclair and Billy Yates. Some memorable performers there. Sinclair was a sort of Styche character who could win a game almost by force of will, and Stan Webb was powerful in the air. Burluraux could be a magical winger on his day. I seem to remember a game the year before where he picked up the ball from our restart, after the opposition scored, and weaved his way through all of their defence before planting the ball firmly into the net. For all these great individual parts the team regularly struggled to keep its football league status, which may serve as a timely reminder to our current management that we need the team to be more than the sum of its parts.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:01 am

LoidLucan wrote:Anyone who was there today will understand when I say that I was both so relieved and yet completely alarmed by today's proceedings.
Now I've watched the highlights I see what you mean. It looks like both teams took leave of their senses!

Good effort by Saunders for his second goal, and as for his first one - it looks like more than a fluke to me, as he instinctively flicks the ball goal bound in the split second it comes to him.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

shawry

Post by shawry » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:28 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:Anyone who was there today will understand when I say that I was both so relieved and yet completely alarmed by today's proceedings.
Now I've watched the highlights I see what you mean. It looks like both teams took leave of their senses!

Good effort by Saunders for his second goal, and as for his first one - it looks like more than a fluke to me, as he instinctively flicks the ball goal bound in the split second it comes to him.
For me the first goal isn't a fluke, I thought it was at the game, but he directed it goalwards so takes a lot of credit for reacting so well to the ball coming to him.

I think with both teams low on confidence that is what sparked the lack of defending at times, though honestly think the wind was a factor too.

All in all I'm probably in a minority but I came away on Saturday thinking we did ok in awful conditions, and I went home happy with the effort and result.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:04 am

shawry wrote:All in all I'm probably in a minority but I came away on Saturday thinking we did ok in awful conditions, and I went home happy with the effort and result.
I'm with you on this, I was happy with that result & come away from that relatively pleased. We needed to get a result and we got that, now hopefully we gain the momentum and start banging a few more wins together.

shawry

Post by shawry » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:14 am

AndyPark wrote:
shawry wrote:All in all I'm probably in a minority but I came away on Saturday thinking we did ok in awful conditions, and I went home happy with the effort and result.
I'm with you on this, I was happy with that result & come away from that relatively pleased. We needed to get a result and we got that, now hopefully we gain the momentum and start banging a few more wins together.
Andy, I would add, the noise you and the guys you stand with was immense, I'm not really a singer at games but can appreciate the massive part you guys have in helping build a great atmosphere for the team to play in.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:20 am

shawry wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
Andy, I would add, the noise you and the guys you stand with was immense, I'm not really a singer at games but can appreciate the massive part you guys have in helping build a great atmosphere for the team to play in.

Thought we made a decent amount of noise, had virtually no voice all Saturday night. Was well worth it & hopefully it helped push the players on.

The noise was also noted by our match winner Harvey, who come flying over to us when he scored the 2nd. Great scenes.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:17 pm

AndyPark wrote:
shawry wrote:
AndyPark wrote:

Thought we made a decent amount of noise, had virtually no voice all Saturday night. Was well worth it & hopefully it helped push the players on.

The noise was also noted by our match winner Harvey, who come flying over to us when he scored the 2nd. Great scenes.
Shame we can't generate the same atmosphere at BM

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:15 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
shawry wrote:
AndyPark wrote:

People do try, but from my point of view - It seems that the Tin Shed is divided when trying to make some noise.

But sometimes, people just can't be arsed to join in when we all attempt to make an atmosphere..

It's a shame really as when we get going, we can make a proper racket.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:22 pm

AndyPark wrote:It's a shame really as when we get going, we can make a proper racket.

It seems to be the Darlo way - at home the players have to get the crowd going first, but away it's different.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:19 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
AndyPark wrote:It's a shame really as when we get going, we can make a proper racket.

It seems to be the Darlo way - at home the players have to get the crowd going first, but away it's different.
I think it may be the fact that if people can go to the trouble of travelling to away games then they are going to support the team, wheras at home some can easily turn up just to have a moan.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:33 pm

AndyPark wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
shawry wrote:
AndyPark wrote: I'm with you on this, I was happy with that result & come away from that relatively pleased. We needed to get a result and we got that, now hopefully we gain the momentum and start banging a few more wins together.

People do try, but from my point of view - It seems that the Tin Shed is divided when trying to make some noise.

But sometimes, people just can't be arsed to join in when we all attempt to make an atmosphere..

It's a shame really as when we get going, we can make a proper racket.
Fair comment, when we sing it's in fits and starts, I know we can't the whole game

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:45 am

The Tin Shed is divided as demonstrated earlier this season when we had one chant going "we're the right side / we're the left side".
Puzzled about our occasional drummer that only beats when we are winning - wait a minute, just realised why I haven't heard him recently :lol:

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:31 am

jjljks wrote:The Tin Shed is divided as demonstrated earlier this season when we had one chant going "we're the right side / we're the left side".
Thats been a chant in the shed for decades! I even know the bloke who started it off originally!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:52 pm

loan_star wrote:
jjljks wrote:The Tin Shed is divided as demonstrated earlier this season when we had one chant going "we're the right side / we're the left side".
Thats been a chant in the shed for decades! I even know the bloke who started it off originally!
It is a good one and gets nearly all the Shed going. Need to get it started every game! :thumbup: :clap:

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:07 pm

Just wondering how much was it to get in

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk