FC United V Darlington match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Re: FC United V Darlington match thread

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:11 pm

Spyman wrote:I think Saunders has probably shown today that last time wasn't a fluke and now deserves a few games to prove himself.

Harsh if he's dropped now in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Hes put on a bit of muscle and his first touch has improved a lot this season, not such a headless chicken.Must be gutted he cocked up for his hattrick.

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by JE93 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:26 pm

The result we needed which is a start. Still not convinced with 4-4-2 for us. We sounded over run at times in midfield against a limited FCUM side. We need to be 4-2-3-1 for me.

Good shout by others who called for Saunders to have his chance in the starting 11. Completely agree he has now officially earned his spot in the starting 11. If Styche or Ainge want the spot then they best be busting a gut in training and taking their chances when they get on.

Proof of any improvement will come next weekend against a Boston side who comprehensively beat Blyth today. We need another result to prove from Tommy and the players this wasn't a flash in the pan.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:58 pm

It was hard graft but we came through with the three points. I thoroughly enjoyed the game apart from some nervy moments. If you came as a neutral you must have enjoyed it as it had everything. We missed a lot of chances but Harvey played a blinder and it could have been 3-6. I'd love to see us with a bulldog/terrier in midfield. We played some nice football at times but so did they and to be fair they have a number of loan signings from Fleetwood and Blackburn. Some of them played and we manage with what we've got. The support got behind the team and I went home with a smile for a change!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:11 pm

That was a relief. We were at times hanging on at the end, with FC United essentially going to two at the back for the last few minutes. We did also miss plenty of chances - how Saunders didn't complete his hat-trick, I'll never know.

Defensively we looked unbelievably nervous and unconvincing throughout. Thought Trotman was mediocre today as well. Agree with the comments about us being overrun too.

However, we got the win, and it may well be that this does for us what the win at Leamington did last season. The win should hopefully improve confidence and morale. Saunders was exceptional, and his pace and energy should be a real asset to us. No question that he has to start next week. Dropping him would be ridiculous.

Right now, I'd be tempted to go 4-2-3-1 with Syers in the hole, leaving Ainge and Styche out. Neither of them are in form. Ainge was off the pace today and sadly I suspect he'll never reach the levels he did before his injury problems. As for Styche, he has looked out of sorts, and with the travelling for international duty too, perhaps a rest may well do him good. Plus starting Syers gives us that extra body in midfield.

All in all, it was far from impressive today, and if we perform like that against better sides, we'll get battered. FC United aren't great, had a raft of suspensions and injuries, no manager and finished the game with nine men. That we didn't finish them off and at times looked vulnerable late on says a lot for how far we still have to go. Certainly the pressure isn't off TW.

But, a win is a win, and maybe the confidence generated from this can see us string together some good results now.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

en passant

Post by en passant » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:30 pm

I wasn't there today but it sounds as if this was the kind of nervy performance you might expect from a side that is low on confidence, which will make even the simple things seem difficult. Rather like Leamington last year, more than the performance we needed the luck and the result, and that much was achieved. But this will mean little in the confidence boost stakes unless it can be followed up with a further set of solid results, as again with last year. Against the general hope that this might be the start of an up-turn are the bald statistics of our last 10 games at home, where we have won just once and lost 7 times, which is not the figures to set much hope on. Contrast that with the last 10 away from home, and the record reads won 4, drawn 5, lost 1. Home form needs a shot in the arm, badly.

A further set of stats show that in the first 7 games of this season we scored 12 goals and shipped an amazing 17, in the course of winning 1, drawing 3 and losing 3. Alarm bells were sounded over the evidence that we had a worryingly generous defence. In the 6 games since then we have scored only 5 goals and lost 4, which sounds rather better until you see that the 5 goals came in the two wins and no goals were scored in the other 4 where we could so easily had 4 losses (getting away with a fortunate draw at Southport). Looking at the scores on the doors it appears that in answering the call to mend the broken defence we went backwards in attack, and 4 games without scoring (allowing for 3 1-0 defeats) showed a lack of cohesion in the final third that appeared to be there earlier in the season when goals were easier to come by.

Clearly there had been some re-balancing needed but in solving one problem we have created another. Some further re-adjustment is needed to get a greater balance between attack and defence.

And a further set of stats shows that the much hoped for dynamic duo of Styche and Ainge didn't disappoint when we were going gung no, but since then, in our last 7 games it is Harvey who has proved his worth more than anyone, netting 4 out of 7 goals. On that form alone he appears to have made a very good case for starting next week, and the need to get a better balance between attack and defence suggests that we have Syers behind him, offering a bit more in the midfield whilst still supporting our attacking options.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:32 pm

Anyone who was there today will understand when I say that I was both so relieved and yet completely alarmed by today's proceedings.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:55 pm

Couldn’t believe TW’s comments about game management in his PMI along with comments about players crumbling in the previous one. Why would he say such things? Far too honest for his own good sometimes.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:01 am

Some great points made by people here. Yesterday's performance was flawed in many ways. We know we wouldn't get away with that against anyone else. The way FCUM midfielders gave the ball away was alarming and too easy, but we were playing their reserves. The way we couldn't hold on to the ball with 11 v 9 was stunningly bad. Our decision making under pressure was also very poor at times.
We're all clinging to the hope that the confidence was low and that we were desperate for the points so we weren't great for that reason. That's why we must follow it up over the next 2 games. TW simply has to get his formation right v Boston.
I agree with Gramps' starting line-up next week (although Syers needs some shooting practice in training) although I bet he's not holding his breath, like I'm not. Failing that, if we have to have 2 up front, then Styche and Saunders.
On the plus side, I thought O'Hanlon had his best game in ages, and Thommo started to get the ball in dangerous areas again. The reason Thommo has been invisible recently, I noticed in the first half yesterday, is that he's had so little service that he's spent all his time tracking back to get the ball. If we use him and Saunders' speed when attacking then defenders will dislike that much more than lumping it to Styche and Ainge who are too slow together.
Downside was also Trotman. He's lost a lot of confidence since the end of last season and has seemingly forgotten how to defend. He needs a MOM performance against a good team. Next week would be ideal. 3 points a must if we really want this season to begin in earnest.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:17 am

Thank goodness we won because it sounds like this performance was as bad or worse than some of our recent efforts which have been pretty shocking, and would have lost against any other team than F.C. at the moment!
What I just don’t get though is TW comments. No manager prior to a game should say publicly that his team may crumble if they get criticised......no manager should after the game, basically joke about his own players ability to close down a game.......and to me no manager should tell everyone about how arguably his best midfielder will try and play with the pain but has no idea how he will cope.....

He just dumbfounds me at times....

Beano

FC United V Darlington match thread

Post by Beano » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:18 am

LoidLucan wrote:Anyone who was there today will understand when I say that I was both so relieved and yet completely alarmed by today's proceedings.
This.

I fear a pasting next week.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:14 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:Some great points made by people here. Yesterday's performance was flawed in many ways. We know we wouldn't get away with that against anyone else. The way FCUM midfielders gave the ball away was alarming and too easy, but we were playing their reserves. The way we couldn't hold on to the ball with 11 v 9 was stunningly bad. Our decision making under pressure was also very poor at times.
We're all clinging to the hope that the confidence was low and that we were desperate for the points so we weren't great for that reason. That's why we must follow it up over the next 2 games. TW simply has to get his formation right v Boston.
I agree with Gramps' starting line-up next week (although Syers needs some shooting practice in training) although I bet he's not holding his breath, like I'm not. Failing that, if we have to have 2 up front, then Styche and Saunders.
On the plus side, I thought O'Hanlon had his best game in ages, and Thommo started to get the ball in dangerous areas again. The reason Thommo has been invisible recently, I noticed in the first half yesterday, is that he's had so little service that he's spent all his time tracking back to get the ball. If we use him and Saunders' speed when attacking then defenders will dislike that much more than lumping it to Styche and Ainge who are too slow together.
Downside was also Trotman. He's lost a lot of confidence since the end of last season and has seemingly forgotten how to defend. He needs a MOM performance against a good team. Next week would be ideal. 3 points a must if we really want this season to begin in earnest.
I agree re O’Hanlon. In some ways I’d like to see Tez at LB and push Ben up to LW. He’s fast and tricky and can cross a ball. You could also employ Trotman at RW but we have no solid RB to play behind him. People were clamouring for Syers to come on but to me he looked stiff/unfit and missed a gilt-edged one-on-one when he rolled his shot tamely at the keeper. At the back end we were 3 v 1 several times yet fluffed our lines each time. Thought Henshall was impressive and hopefully he can build on that if he can stay fit. Wheatley was class and I do like Nicholson and Elliott but get people’s view that they’re too small. I also applaud their attempt to play good football. I like Wright’s honesty about game management and 0-1 home games. This was a game where you never worried about going a goal down whereas you know that if it happens at home then there’s seemingly no way back.
I’m intrigued by FCUM in many ways and applaud their philosophy. Another thing...their precarious position, off and on field issues and going a goal down would in many cases lead to a toxic atmosphere, yet their fans got behind their lads from first whistle to last...we can’t always say the same at BM

Darlo Fonz

Post by Darlo Fonz » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:33 am

LoidLucan wrote:Anyone who was there today will understand when I say that I was both so relieved and yet completely alarmed by today's proceedings.
This very much sums it up for me...

I couldn't believe how we just couldn't keep the ball for long periods of time against 9 men. Also the amount of times we found ourselves in a 3/4 on 1 situation and not scoring was staggering.

But all in all, i'm happy with a win. BUT. We need to be better...
Darlo Fonz
DARLINGTON FC

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:39 am

The first time I've come away after a victory feeling disappointed.
But for Saunders whose speed and persistance won the second goal, the rest were very average, and even playing against 9 men we managed to create panic in our own defense. Thompson a shadow of the player we know he can be would have torn FC United to pieces on his day. Missed so many chances at the end when their keeper decided to move up and play as a center back , even an out of form Styche would have converted some of them. Like last year I believe Styche is key to our survival in this league, a proven goal scorer in a relegation threatened team.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:19 pm

I wasn't at the game yesterday but was thoroughly entertained by Mr Cansfield and Mr Winter on Darlo Fans radio - was it Hall or was it Nicholson had me in stitches for a while.
On the Tommy debate, I think we are where we are. I think we have reached a ceiling of where we can go until the stadium issue is resolved. We cannot go full time so we will always be inconsistent playing against sides with better resources.
I think we should at the very least have plans/agreements in place move back to the Arena if we were to get promoted at some point in the future.
If that is not viable then we need to start working with the council on land for a potential new stadium and start the fundraising and partnerships with local/large businesses.
An example is Bishop Auckland. Sainsburys contributed to their new stadium. Hopefully now that the dinosaurs are leaving the council we can work with the council on a way forward. With the town center dying it is going to need massive investment and maybe the football club could be part of that.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:50 pm

I saw fc United a team with loanee players scrapping for everything, Darlington fc were marginally better but the only thing that made it appear worse than it actually was, was the finishing in the last fifteen minutes
Had the lads put the ball in the net we should have been 5-1 winner's, however as has been said a win is a win and thankfully 3 more points on the board. Harvey is getting better every game never gives up and won the game by not giving up. Good day for Harvey,
Will he get dropped next week I really hope not, his speed frightens the opposition, Hughes was good again, tommo getting back to the player we know he can be, let's see if the team can pick up from that and start putting together a run of improving performances and winning games, one can hope.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:21 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:I wasn't at the game yesterday but was thoroughly entertained by Mr Cansfield and Mr Winter on Darlo Fans radio - was it Hall or was it Nicholson had me in stitches for a while.
On the Tommy debate, I think we are where we are. I think we have reached a ceiling of where we can go until the stadium issue is resolved. We cannot go full time so we will always be inconsistent playing against sides with better resources.
I think we should at the very least have plans/agreements in place move back to the Arena if we were to get promoted at some point in the future.
If that is not viable then we need to start working with the council on land for a potential new stadium and start the fundraising and partnerships with local/large businesses.
An example is Bishop Auckland. Sainsburys contributed to their new stadium. Hopefully now that the dinosaurs are leaving the council we can work with the council on a way forward. With the town center dying it is going to need massive investment and maybe the football club could be part of that.
That’s a bizarre way of linking TW to our ground situation. Yes, we are where we are, at a competitive level of football only two promotions away from the Football League. But languishing 16th, or 19th before yesterday’s game, isn’t really where we ‘want to be’ given the resources available. Our budget is a competitive one, likely to be in the top-half of this league.

The general consensus isn’t a case of fans being upset that Wright isn’t having us challenging in the top three and as a result promotion to the NL - but more of a case of the fact we’ve only won 3 games this season, have put in some poor performances, crashed out the FA Cup at the first time of asking and prior to yesterday, sat one point away from the relegation zone.

I’m pretty confident the majority of fans would be happy if we were in and around 7th place with a few FA Cup wins in addition. I don’t see any desperation or obsession with securing promotion. We’re work in progress, staying at this level for a few years would do the club no harm, but that’s only providing we’re competitive - E.G, being in and around the play-offs whilst having a go at the cup/trophy.

What we’re seeing now is crowds dwindling, but if we were pushing for the play-offs the club generates not only more revenue but there’s a bit of buzz and excitement. As for being inconsistent against teams with better resources, we’ve had defeats against part-time teams such as Curzon Ashton, Altrincham, Bradford Park Avenue and Alfreton (?) - these are teams with similar or less resources. We also failed to beat Blyth and Ashton who are in the same boat, and ironically some of our good results have been against some good spenders in Brackley & Spennymoor.

TW is perfect for this club providing we can find a level of consistency and flirt with the play-offs. Nobody is demanding promotion - you’ll have a few people out there who’ll want immediate progress in order to return to our FL days ASAP, but following three promotions in four seasons we were always going to slow down at some point. The club is re-building itself, this takes time.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:29 pm

When they went down to 9 men they virtually played with 2 at the back, they had to go for it. We should have been more clinical on the break but when a team is going gung ho at you then sometimes its hard to get hold of the ball.
Boston will be a far harder proposition and for me Wright has to go with 451 with Saunders as the 1. No way can he be dropped after his performance yesterday.
Last edited by loan_star on Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:07 pm

Quakers83 wrote:
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:I wasn't at the game yesterday but was thoroughly entertained by Mr Cansfield and Mr Winter on Darlo Fans radio - was it Hall or was it Nicholson had me in stitches for a while.
That’s a bizarre way of linking TW to our ground situation. Yes, we are where we are, at a competitive level of football only two promotions away from the Football League. But languishing 16th, or 19th before yesterday’s game, isn’t really where we ‘want to be’ given the resources available. Our budget is a competitive one, likely to be in the top-half of this league.

The general consensus isn’t a case of fans being upset that Wright isn’t having us challenging in the top three and as a result promotion to the NL - but more of a case of the fact we’ve only won 3 games this season, have put in some poor performances, crashed out the FA Cup at the first time of asking and prior to yesterday, sat one point away from the relegation zone.

I’m pretty confident the majority of fans would be happy if we were in and around 7th place with a few FA Cup wins in addition. I don’t see any desperation or obsession with securing promotion. We’re work in progress, staying at this level for a few years would do the club no harm, but that’s only providing we’re competitive - E.G, being in and around the play-offs whilst having a go at the cup/trophy.

What we’re seeing now is crowds dwindling, but if we were pushing for the play-offs the club generates not only more revenue but there’s a bit of buzz and excitement. As for being inconsistent against teams with better resources, we’ve had defeats against part-time teams such as Curzon Ashton, Altrincham, Bradford Park Avenue and Alfreton (?) - these are teams with similar or less resources. We also failed to beat Blyth and Ashton who are in the same boat, and ironically some of our good results have been against some good spenders in Brackley & Spennymoor.

TW is perfect for this club providing we can find a level of consistency and flirt with the play-offs. Nobody is demanding promotion - you’ll have a few people out there who’ll want immediate progress in order to return to our FL days ASAP, but following three promotions in four seasons we were always going to slow down at some point. The club is re-building itself, this takes time.
Exactly this- apart from the TW being perfect for us bit. I'm not convinced he's suited to being a manager at all.

There's a weird, deliberate misinterpretation of any criticism of TW. We see it time after time on here, as if anyone who raises questions about his ability is in some way impatient and demands a rapid return to the Football League.

There may be a handful of individuals elsewhere but it's not the consensus or the majority view. Most Wright-sceptics simply think we should be performing better than an annual flirtation with the bottom three. Even with a budget reduction, with the players we have, surely we can compete in the top half at least. We're told by management we should be. Yet time and again, we end up nearer the relegation zone.

To be critical of that isn't the same as expecting a top three challenge. So this line being pushed by some of TW's most enthusiastic supporters is entirely wrong.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:07 pm

Since the start of September Saunders has been head and shoulders our best attacking player. Despite being played out of position most of the time. Plus, we are a better team when he leads the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:25 pm

I for one was not expecting a great game, both teams "had to win" and the pressure that this brings on players lacking in confidence.

Thought we started well to be honest and then they scored from their first attack, I thought oh no here we go. As has been said it was an interesting game for the neutral, but nervy for fans of both teams. Both sets of fans I thought supported their teams well. We got a bit of luck with the first goal, but something I think we need at the moment.

We were getting over run in midfield because we only had Wheatley and Elliott as real midfielders, both who played well with Wheatley especially covering all over the pitch and strong in the challenge. Thought Ainge and Thommo improved in the second half but Ainge still looked less than mobile, so he may still not be fit? Henshall for me looked short of match practice, giving the ball away too easily a fair number of times, while Nicholson looked dangerous when he came on. O'Hanlon had his best game for a while I thought and Maddison looked comfortable.

On shooting at goal we have struggled for a while to actually get shots on target and test the keeper, and this looked the same in the practice session before the game with a lot of balls getting sprayed all over the place, something to work on?

Also I am with some others on here, I would play Saunders and have Styche and Ainge on the bench for the next game.

Clearly work still to be done yet, but hopefully a bit more confidence next week against a stronger team. Still onward to the next game and a good home win :thumbup:

Don't know if anyone else noticed something being thrown at the ref as he went off at the end from the stand above, if reported could cost United, something I am sure that they can't really afford, hope they got the guy.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:13 pm

Yeah, I saw that. They weren't happy with the ref at all, perhaps undedstandably. As he left the pitch somebody threw something at him, although from where I was it looked like a piece of screwed up paper. Even so, the fa isn't mad on that type of thing.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:32 pm

No great surprise when you think about it that in a more defensively minded set up, the forward with pace has more joy than the more physical forwards, whereas in a team going all out attach and forcing opposition to defend deeper, the big string lads scored more.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:28 pm

It looks like Harvey Saunders is starting to get to grips with this level and it will do Styche good to have someone snapping at his heels. No one should be guaranteed a start!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:12 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Even with a budget reduction, with the players we have, surely we can compete in the top half at least. We're told by management we should be. Yet time and again, we end up nearer the relegation zone.
That statement makes no sense because where we were last week, where we are this week, where we are next week, isn't where we have "ended up".

We have ended up 12th under TW, once.

We've never ended up nearer the relegation zone time and time again under TW :lol:
Last edited by Ghost_Of_1883 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:19 pm

50 years wrote:
We were getting over run in midfield because we only had Wheatley and Elliott as real midfielders, both who played well with Wheatley especially covering all over the pitch and strong in the challenge.
How many "real midfielders" do we need? When we are talking about real midfielders are we talking about centre midfielders particularly, or wingers as well?

Most clubs play 2 in the middle. So do we.

For me, this whole "over-run in midfield" thing just seems to be the latest buzz word amongst fans, rather than a reality - I ask one simple question and that is this - how can we simultaneously have two energetic highly thought of midfielders, yet be overrun all of the time?

Most of our opposition play 4-4-2 yet we are always clamouring to play 4-5-1 because apparently we don't otherwise have enough in midfield. It doesn't make sense.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:31 pm

jonn wrote:I think it would help if we relieved Styche of the captaincy. He's an individualist and operates best when he's focused on just one thing - scoring goals - and worrying about sorting out the other ten gets in the way. On top of that, up front he can't see the whole picture - he needs to be looking forward, not behind him at what's going on - we need someone further back who can get a clear vision of play and control it from there. Who?
I agree. Could Thommo or Terry be better positioned to wear the band? Success doesn't come from money alone, or a great manager. Players have to develop into an effective team and there have been problems with putting a fit 14 man team together for matches, when having such a small squad. Seems like we dont want to resort to loan signings, which is good for the long term.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:37 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
50 years wrote:
We were getting over run in midfield because we only had Wheatley and Elliott as real midfielders, both who played well with Wheatley especially covering all over the pitch and strong in the challenge.
How many "real midfielders" do we need? When we are talking about real midfielders are we talking about centre midfielders particularly, or wingers as well?

For me, this whole "over-run in midfield" thing just seems to be the latest buzz word amongst fans, rather than a reality - I ask one simple question and that is this - how can we simultaneously have two energetic highly thought of midfielders, yet be overrun all of the time?

Most of our opposition play 4-4-2 yet we are always clamouring to play 4-5-1 because apparently we don't otherwise have enough in midfield. It doesn't make sense.
if more Darlo players passed the ball better to each other and tackled back more convincingly when possession was lost, we wouldnt look so vunerable to counter attacks. Lacking relative physicality in midfield we need players to be smarter at the possession side of the game.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:42 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:It looks like Harvey Saunders is starting to get to grips with this level and it will do Styche good to have someone snapping at his heels. No one should be guaranteed a start!
Whatever combo is played up front the strikers need appropriate passes to their strengths, rather than sloppy (aerial) clearances or over hit long balls.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:45 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
50 years wrote:

Agreed. It’s nothing to do with our central pairing, more to do with full backs often getting caught high up the pitch and neither Ainge or Styche having the legs to drop off and cover. Regardless of the formation you can still play more attacking or defensive. I thought we’d improved in this area recently tbh, certainly a lot tighter than we’re were early doors when we were scoring a few but also conceding lots. It’s up to TW to find the right balance

Seventynine

Post by Seventynine » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:05 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:It looks like Harvey Saunders is starting to get to grips with this level and it will do Styche good to have someone snapping at his heels. No one should be guaranteed a start!
Whatever combo is played up front the strikers need appropriate passes to their strengths, rather than sloppy (aerial) clearances or over hit long balls.

correct ..