Knowledge

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

tdk1
Team Supported: Darlington

Knowledge

Post by tdk1 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:06 pm

Right, I've always wondered about this, and turn to the collective darlo hive mind for info. I remember Jimmy case turned out for us in one game in the early 90s, which I think was a 0-0 draw, possibly v Exeter. Wikipedia confirms this appearance count.

At the time I remember thinking, as a child, that this was a massive coup. (I thought the same thing about Phil linacre, as all I knew about him was that the tannoy announcer said we had signed somebody called Lineker). Clearly it wasn't the major success story I imagined it to be.

But does anyone know why we signed him, and why he then disappeared after one game?

MKDarlo

Re: Knowledge

Post by MKDarlo » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:09 pm

was it not v Brighton

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:09 pm

was it not v Brighton

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:43 pm

You may well be right

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:49 pm

'Cos he was chronically unfit and past it

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:49 pm

'Cos he was chronically unfit and past it

divas

Post by divas » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:09 pm

That was my recollection. Somehow he went on to play a fair few more games the following season at Brighton before taking over as manager.

Can’t remember whether it was McEwan or Murray who brought him in but I’m sure he wasn’t the only old fogey who came in short term that season. Neil McNab springs to mind.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:50 pm

Didn't Roger Davies turn out in a cup game - Maidstone ? - during Cyril's time.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:24 pm

I thought Jimmy Case played vs Wycombe.

Feet4ever

Post by Feet4ever » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:59 pm

Yes, his one game was against Wycombe(Martin o neill was their manager-not sure we had a permanent one at the time)
Last edited by Feet4ever on Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

broadsexile

Post by broadsexile » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:03 pm

Almost certain it was v Wycombe in the dog days of McEwan's tenure, when we didn't win for months then Murray came in and we beat Colchester 7-3. It was definitely a 0-0, we were definitely there, it was definitely in autumn '93 and the only game which fits those criteria is one v Wycombe where we played surprisingly well.

PS - was Linacre actually announced as a 'signing'? Can't remember the circumstances he joined in - was he back-up for Cork/ Borthwick after David Geddes left? Joined from Blue Star, I believe.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:04 pm

Neil McNab also played one or two games for us at a similar time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:07 pm

broadsexile wrote:Almost certain it was v Wycombe in the dog days of McEwan's tenure, when we didn't win for months then Murray came in and we beat Colchester 7-3. It was definitely a 0-0, we were definitely there, it was definitely in autumn '93 and the only game which fits those criteria is one v Wycombe where we played surprisingly well.

PS - was Linacre actually announced as a 'signing'? Can't remember the circumstances he joined in - was he back-up for Cork/ Borthwick after David Geddes left? Joined from Blue Star, I believe.
I didn't think it was Wycombe, but its likely I'm just wrong.

Linacre was just announced in the line up on the tannoy. I assumed he was related to Gary.

Feet4ever

Post by Feet4ever » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:13 pm

Case was brought in to replace mcNab, who had gone to play in Ireland. However, after the Wycombe game, Gerry Forest was relieved of caretaker duties and Case never played for us again

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:50 am

Wiseacre wrote:Didn't Roger Davies turn out in a cup game - Maidstone ? - during Cyril's time.
I got excited about Roger Davis joining us, as I also follow Derby and remember him at his best. Think he may have played 3 games for us, but he was hopeless.

boorman

Post by boorman » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:44 am

broadsexile wrote:Almost certain it was v Wycombe in the dog days of McEwan's tenure, when we didn't win for months then Murray came in and we beat Colchester 7-3. It was definitely a 0-0, we were definitely there, it was definitely in autumn '93 and the only game which fits those criteria is one v Wycombe where we played surprisingly well.

That Colchester game is my all-time favourite. Not only did it look like a new dawn of total football, but it was the (sadly brief) return of Lee Ellison as an attacking force. I don't think Ellison helped himself a lot of the time, but I do wonder what might have happened to his career if Alan Murray didn't sign Bernie Slaven and just stuck with him in that 433 with Chapman and Painter that worked so well against Colchester. I thought he was very unlucky to make way for that waste of space. In my mind, Bernie Slaven was actually a bigger coup than Jimmy Case at the time. What a disappointment!

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:41 am

Bernie Slaven, had more offsides for us than the amount of goals he scored for Boro! :shock:

As for the Colchester game, I missed the first couple of goals cos I was about ten minutes late getting in!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:33 am

I uses to see Lee Ellison out in town around that time. He was regularly drunk and it's such a shame that alcoholism destroyed his career.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:19 pm

It was indeed v Wycombe 23th October 1993, almost 25 years ago. (Ex-SAS) Neil McNab played 5 games sept-oct that season.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:26 pm

Linacre we paid a fee for and he indeed was a "signing". The Blue Star manager at the time commented that "he was on another planet" regarding his ability at that level, and therefore deserved another shot at pro football.

He wasn't brought in as back up for Cork/Borthwick but as competition to them, and at the time Borthwick was struggling a bit for form.

I actually thought Linacre looked a good player in his few appearances but for one reason or another it didn't really work out for him.

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:16 pm

I remember Jimmy Case's one-and-only appearance for us well - definitely Wycombe - as confirmed by the man himself in his autobiography:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Hie ... be&f=false

It's a real shame he couldn't stick around as his experience and class probably would have been a big help at that time. We weren't great.

I'll also never forget *that* Colchester game or, as I like to call it, 'Peter Kirkham 7 Colchester 3'. He was unplayable that night and very modest about his performance when we praised him after he was subbed.

I can't think of too many I've seen at Darlo down the years who had as much natural ability and flair as Peter?

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:14 pm

I remember Lee Ellison playing non league for likes of shildon and bishop. Seemed decent at that level. He once said the scotch guy at Darlington knocked his confidence when he was younger? I'm sure he had one final shot as a pro with Darlington in late 90s under David hodgson.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:12 pm

shildonlad wrote:I remember Lee Ellison playing non league for likes of shildon and bishop. Seemed decent at that level. He once said the scotch guy at Darlington knocked his confidence when he was younger? I'm sure he had one final shot as a pro with Darlington in late 90s under David hodgson.
He was definitely playing for us in the 1998/99 season (when I first started following the club) I remember someone in the East Stand really had it in for him, every time the poor lad got the ball you'd hear this bloke bellowing at him

"You're f**cking* useless Ellison!"

"Touch of an elephant! Lee Elephant!"

The last time I saw him he was playing for Southport he came on us a sub when we played them at Feethams in the first round of the FA Cup in the 1999/00 season, said bloke who we hadn't heard a peep out of all season shouted out "you're still sh*te Ellison!" as he was about to come on the whole crowd around him burst out laughing!

I think we won 2-1 that day and young Keith Finch stole the show in goal.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

boorman

Post by boorman » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:12 am

Yeah, Billy McEwan froze Ellison out basically, but it's probable that Ellison didn't show all that much willing when the going got tough. For a devout Lee Ellison fan like me, it was the most unbelievable news when Hodgson (who I was certainly no fan of) rescued him from non league and brought him back. But he wasn't the same player. He got a lot of stick from the crowd and I remember thinking how tragic it was. I can remember him playing really well leading the line in a 1-0 defeat at Scunthorpe, but other than that he didn't deliver much.

What he never lost though was his ability to shoot from the edge of the box. He had that Gabbiadini knack of placing it just out of reach of the keeper from what would look like an innocuous situation. When he went back to non league I'd follow him a bit and you'd see him have a nightmare for most of the game but then pop up with two or three great goals. He definitely had the class to make it at a higher level - it's a shame it went the other way for him. Do I remember rightly that Blackburn bid good money for him when he first burst onto the scene in the old Division 3, and we turned it down?

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:51 am

boorman wrote: Do I remember rightly that Blackburn bid good money for him when he first burst onto the scene in the old Division 3, and we turned it down?
was it Dalgleish at Blackburn splashing the cash? I thought at the time we should've taken the offer - a good £100k for us - and for Ellison better coaching elsewhere

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:36 pm

I thought Peter Kirkham was brilliant the night we beat Colchester, Peter could do everything and more than gazza could, he lacked believe in himself at that time, but is now a millionaire property developer, he was at the dolphin centre last year at a get together with other ex darlo players. Nice guy.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:29 pm

Summed up well about Ellison chaps. At shildon he was not quick but would be in right place at right time get the head to he ball from a cross and score kinda experience over youth. He was in the 2003/2004 squad at shildon which I define the best ever as they made it to fa cup round 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:04 pm

onewayup wrote:I thought Peter Kirkham was brilliant the night we beat Colchester, Peter could do everything and more than gazza could, he lacked believe in himself at that time, but is now a millionaire property developer, he was at the dolphin centre last year at a get together with other ex darlo players. Nice guy.
You're right - he's a smashing bloke. No airs or graces.

Simon Shaw is another one. Just a really nice, ordinary lad.

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:05 pm

Just on Ellison - that time that him and Dugald ripped Hartlepool apart.

Wow.

boorman

Post by boorman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:31 am

Dugald McArrison: another sliding doors moment that didn't work out for Ellison. What if we'd have bought him instead of Nick Cusack? A third of the price and they had a great partnership. We'd have certainly done better that season if we'd have had McArrison.