Bradford PA V Darlington FC

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

tdk1
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Bradford PA V Darlington FC

Post by tdk1 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:38 pm

Beano wrote:Galbraith is generally very solid at centre half, but his lack of pace was exposed last night as he was run at directly. I’d argue that was more symptomatic of a particular good striker last night than a regular occurrence.

If I could bring in one player and one player only I’d sign a gritty ball winner in central midfield. Wheatley and Elliott are both box-to-box and play better with someone to do the dirty work.

Nicholson was outstanding, Ainge was dominant in the air and looks a new man since Styche left, whilst Harvey played extremely well but arguably could have had two goals on another night.
I do think were just missing somebody who knows how to steady the pace of a game in midfield. I think that's the one thing really on my wish list, a more experienced, ball winning, momentum killing midfielder.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:09 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Beano wrote:Galbraith is generally very solid at centre half, but his lack of pace was exposed last night as he was run at directly. I’d argue that was more symptomatic of a particular good striker last night than a regular occurrence.

If I could bring in one player and one player only I’d sign a gritty ball winner in central midfield. Wheatley and Elliott are both box-to-box and play better with someone to do the dirty work.

Nicholson was outstanding, Ainge was dominant in the air and looks a new man since Styche left, whilst Harvey played extremely well but arguably could have had two goals on another night.
I do think were just missing somebody who knows how to steady the pace of a game in midfield. I think that's the one thing really on my wish list, a more experienced, ball winning, momentum killing midfielder.
Couldnt agree more.Must be someone out there who can play that role. Need a big ugly b@stard who can be vociferous and at the same time encourage the younger lads.

Beano

Bradford PA V Darlington FC

Post by Beano » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:16 pm

It was planned to be Hughes, but he isn’t mobile enough for that role, and is the heartbeat of the team at centre half.

I’d let Henshall go and get someone in.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:36 pm

I don't really want to see henshall go, as i think that would leave us short elsewhere. Obviously the ideal scenario is caton and Collins going as they clearly don't fit in this team, but that feels very unlikely just now. I still find it odd that we're one of the best supported teams in the league and we can't fill our bench, but at the same time balancing the books is our joint top priority.

It's tough. I mean, where does this mystery player even come from if the budget became available? Is there a northern league player we've not spotted, or a surplus midfielder at spenny, york, Gateshead or Blyth or even pools? Do we have to look at Nuneaton? Or could an inexperienced loaned from Boro do the job?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:54 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:My computer won't do a quote for some reason - but in reply to Gramps......

...... I'm not "twisting" anything. I'm quoting the form table for the last 6 games, and I state that I'm quoting the form table for the last 6 games.

The form table for the last 6 games states that we sit in 13th place.

I haven't got an agenda, though I do 'have a point to make' - the point being that our form is picking up, but obviously we all have a point to make each time we all post on here - otherwise, what's the point?

Finally I'm not "hung up on Alfreton" - nothing against them at all, they have a financial backer yet are not in good form, that's why I put in that detail.
That makes no sense whatsoever. Your point is that we're improving, so you talk about another club, who just happen to have signed our best player, and you refer to as "our friends". Ok then.

Maybe now MG has left York, you need another team to irrationally dislike.

As for cherrypicking stats, anyone can choose whichever stat fits their purpose or agenda. Take Alfreton's record over 10 games for example, and it's near identical to ours. So why the last six games is so important, I don't know.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:32 pm

Beano wrote:It was planned to be Hughes, but he isn’t mobile enough for that role, and is the heartbeat of the team at centre half.

The first thing you would need is someone who is willing to pay Henshall similar pay, also he may also want his contract paying off as he has moved to Bishop to play for Darlo.

I do wish before people just say things like "let Henshall go and get someone in" that there are possible implications of these decisions, the main one being financial as you generally can't just let someone go when they have a contract.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:35 pm

Highlights from last night will be live from 10pm. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOpWql-E_NE

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:58 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Beano wrote:It was planned to be Hughes, but he isn’t mobile enough for that role, and is the heartbeat of the team at centre half.

The first thing you would need is someone who is willing to pay Henshall similar pay, also he may also want his contract paying off as he has moved to Bishop to play for Darlo.

I do wish before people just say things like "let Henshall go and get someone in" that there are possible implications of these decisions, the main one being financial as you generally can't just let someone go when they have a contract.
You’ve stated the obvious but I’m non the wiser.

Would you prefer to have no speculation or hypotheticals?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:07 pm

Beano wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:

You’ve stated the obvious but I’m non the wiser.

Would you prefer to have no speculation or hypotheticals?
Speculation is fine but it sounded like you were expecting it to be as easy as calling Henshall saying we are letting you go because we are getting someone in then call up ready to play experienced composed central midfielder who no one else has on a contract currently.

When the two options are likely to cost money, something we don't have a lot of. I agree in where we all see the gap in midfield although we would have to remove from starting eleven one of either Elliott, Wheatley or Nicholson with an experienced head in there.

We are in a position where making the right change might not be possible so Wright and White have to work with the midfielders we have, and teach them to fill the gap we believe is missing. This is possibly why we are inconsistent because we have more young inexperienced players than most teams, with Hughes, Thompson & Ainge the experience and maybe Galbraith but he seems busy concentrating on his own game currently.

If the can grow in confidence and match management then we have an exciting team.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:00 pm

“That makes no sense whatsoever. Your point is that we're improving, so you talk about another club, who just happen to have signed our best player, and you refer to as "our friends". Ok then.

As for cherrypicking stats, anyone can choose whichever stat fits their purpose or agenda. Take Alfreton's record over 10 games for example, and it's near identical to ours. So why the last six games is so important, I don't know.” (D.G)

D’gramps, I can’t quote in the normal way at the moment but in reply to the above, I would disagree with everything you’ve put!

For some reason you seem to dislike form tables, that’s as maybe however I think that they can be informative and interesting, and in any case the league table itself is just a form table set over a longer period of time.

The last six games are not “so important” - not to me anyway. I just used the last six games to illustrate the point that over the last six games our form has been improving and is actually better than the two teams that I decided to use as a comparison. Chorley because they are top of the league and Alfreton because they have a backer who pumps money in, and as stated before, I don’t dislike Alfreton -“our friends” was just a bit of fun and hardly insulting or derogatory. Not in my world anyway.

So to York, who you mentioned not me.

As I’m sure you’re aware, York screwed us over re M.G’s contract! This cost us money and destabilised us, and personally at the time I was far from happy about this. Were you?

We had money issues back then and we have money issues now, so do you think that York City acted in a fair and respectful manner towards us?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:33 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:“That makes no sense whatsoever. Your point is that we're improving, so you talk about another club, who just happen to have signed our best player, and you refer to as "our friends". Ok then.

As for cherrypicking stats, anyone can choose whichever stat fits their purpose or agenda. Take Alfreton's record over 10 games for example, and it's near identical to ours. So why the last six games is so important, I don't know.” (D.G)

D’gramps, I can’t quote in the normal way at the moment but in reply to the above, I would disagree with everything you’ve put!

For some reason you seem to dislike form tables, that’s as maybe however I think that they can be informative and interesting, and in any case the league table itself is just a form table set over a longer period of time.

The last six games are not “so important” - not to me anyway. I just used the last six games to illustrate the point that over the last six games our form has been improving and is actually better than the two teams that I decided to use as a comparison. Chorley because they are top of the league and Alfreton because they have a backer who pumps money in, and as stated before, I don’t dislike Alfreton -“our friends” was just a bit of fun and hardly insulting or derogatory. Not in my world anyway.

So to York, who you mentioned not me.

As I’m sure you’re aware, York screwed us over re M.G’s contract! This cost us money and destabilised us, and personally at the time I was far from happy about this. Were you?

We had money issues back then and we have money issues now, so do you think that York City acted in a fair and respectful manner towards us?
Again, if your point is about Darlington's improved form, why do you need to compare us to someone else? Don't understand that. If our form is improved, surely that's all you focus on? How Alfreton are doing makes no difference to our form.

And the team you choose just so happens to be the one who signed our best player a week ago.

Not sure where you've got the idea I don't like form tables. I don't like them being selectively used in order to suit an agenda.

As for York, I genuinely couldn't care less. It happened a year ago and everyone else has moved on. You were one of the handful who commented on them at every opportunity, and as we can see here, clearly still feel aggrieved about it. But less is said about TW's treatment of Nuneaton, and us talking to him without their knowledge.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:57 am

I hope Henshall comes good. He's been at some big clubs so they must have seen something in him. It wasn't long ago Hughes was getting abuse from a number of people and now he's a star player. Fingers crossed and maybe some encouragement might help

DARLODAH

Post by DARLODAH » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:48 pm

I am in no doubt that the green shoots of recovery are well established.

At both of the last 2 away games at times we have played superbly. Clearly confidence is still a bit shaky. However players do not deliberately give away daft goals, daft penalties and miss penalties. And Thommo still remains well in credit with his contribution to the team!
To concede 2 goals and miss a penalty, yet still get a well deserved draw (against a leading team) was a sign that confidence is building.

Team spirit has also significantly improved over recent weeks.

Eagerly awaiting Saturdays home game...and haven't been able to say that too often.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:33 pm

Huge game at the weekend now. If we can sort out the home form, perhaps we can start looking up the table, rather than over our shoulders.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:06 pm

Darlogramps, this is getting tedious. You’re stuck in “silly argument mode” you do it to others on a regular basis, and I wonder why?

You write.

“Again, if your point is about Darlington's improved form, why do you need to compare us to someone else? Don't understand that.”

I explained above why I used the two comparisons, you don't understand that?

“If our form is improved, surely that's all you focus on?”

The league table is just one big comparison, we compare ourselves against other teams all the time, what's the problem? And for the third time, I haven't got a problem with Alfreton, and I'm not bothered about Styche - I never mentioned Styche you did.

“Not sure where you've got the idea I don't like form tables. I don't like them being selectively used in order to suit an agenda.”

No agenda, just pointing out the form in our league over the last six games, I never made it out to be anything other than what is was. Feel free to quote other facts if you wish.

“As for York, I genuinely couldn't care less.”

You mentioned York not me.

“It happened a year ago and everyone else has moved on.”

I've moved on, you brought York into it - but I don't forget when people do us wrong, like I don't forget Singh's dodgy input and the nasty things he did. Or like how you haven't forgotten how Reynolds behaved. Anyway, do you seriously speak for "everyone else" ? The answer to that question is obviously no.
Last edited by theoriginalfatcat on Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:33 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote: The league table is just one big comparison, we compare ourselves against other teams all the time, what's the problem? And for the third time, I haven't got a problem with Alfreton, and I'm not bothered about Styche - I never mentioned Styche you did.
All I'm questioning is why you needed to include Alfreton when your point was solely that our form is improving. You could have made that point without comparing us to anyone. You've not really explained why.

And why Alfreton? There are many other well-backed teams who are struggling. Southport are bottom. Stockport have been underwhelming. Hereford are well-backed (under a different model) but struggling.

I'm saying you did it to have a cheeky dig at them, after they signed Styche. Why else call them "our friends"?
theoriginalfatcat wrote: I've moved on, you brought York into it - but I don't forget when people do us wrong, like I don't forget Singh's dodgy input and the nasty things he did. Or like how you haven't forgotten how Reynolds behaved. Anyway, do you seriously speak for "everyone else" ? The answer to that question is obviously no.
Given the relish with which you leapt into an anti-York rant, you clearly haven't moved on. Let it go, it'll do you good.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:17 pm

Just watched the highlights and seemed like we played the kind of football which is needed to attract more people into BM. OK we let slip another 2 goal lead, but scored 2great goals and created plenty of chances which should have been taken (notwithstanding a penalty that was a great save rather than a miss). Defence conceded a couple of soft goals, but given a new loanee keeper, managed to take most of the sting out of a team with their tails up, after taking all 3 points off Chorley on previous Saturday. Hopefully we can build on this unbeaten run by putting on a good display against Guiseley. :clap:

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:29 pm

'Team spirit has significantly improved over recent weeks.' This might be due to several factors but Styche moving is one of them I'd say. He was great and really did a lot for the club but clearly wasn't happy and towards the end of his time here the side hit rock bottom. From what I could see on Tuesday night the players really came together in a way they hadn't before and played good football. I don't think there's much wrong with any of them including Henshall and my own favourite Thommo. They looked like a team - brilliant.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:22 am

I went with my eldest son, who is working in Bradford. Thought it was a good game and I'd have taken a point before the game started against a very strong Bradford PA side. What did impress me was our fantastic support and in particular, how many youngsters attended from Darlo and not old codgers like me!! When you go to a lot of the sides in our division, you notice that many of the opposition fans are getting on a bit and whilst we have so many young fans, they hopefully will follow Darlo as they grow older.