Darlington V Guiseley

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darlo reborn
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Guiseley

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:43 pm

That was by accident

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:18 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:The fact we have such a thin squad basically says to me that we have underestimated what we can afford. If this is a competitive budget for a shot at the top 7 then I think we have fallen well short, a competitive budget to stay in the league then probably about right (barring any more firesales/injuries).

It's all been about keeping people interested and of course at the start of the season there has to be a positive vibe but maybe expectations were raised too much and now it's a case of the reality being between breaking the top 10 at best and avoiding a relegation fight on what is clearly a very scrimpish budget. The fact we have youths filling the bench and no loan signings just highlights the issue.

On the face of it the last few results have been positive, albeit possibly could have been better but TW can take a little bit of credit for acheiving some stability. My doubts still remain and still need to be convinced of his longer term credentials.
T.W. can take a bit of credit for getting on with the hard work in a low maintenance sort of way, he's doing what our previous manager thought was beneath him.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:07 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
real_darlo_85 wrote:The fact we have such a thin squad basically says to me that we have underestimated what we can afford. If this is a competitive budget for a shot at the top 7 then I think we have fallen well short, a competitive budget to stay in the league then probably about right (barring any more firesales/injuries).

It's all been about keeping people interested and of course at the start of the season there has to be a positive vibe but maybe expectations were raised too much and now it's a case of the reality being between breaking the top 10 at best and avoiding a relegation fight on what is clearly a very scrimpish budget. The fact we have youths filling the bench and no loan signings just highlights the issue.

On the face of it the last few results have been positive, albeit possibly could have been better but TW can take a little bit of credit for acheiving some stability. My doubts still remain and still need to be convinced of his longer term credentials.
T.W. can take a bit of credit for getting on with the hard work in a low maintenance sort of way, he's doing what our previous manager thought was beneath him.
I'd agree with this. No toys out the pram from TW. Would MG have done any better with the same budget constraints...?

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:15 pm

Would love nothing more than Tommy being a big success at our club alongside AW, such a likeable bloke who comes across so well at interviews.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:34 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Just listened to the post match interview from Tommy Wright and I am completely baffled.
The talk from him pre match was all about entertaining the fans. Then in this interview he sounds grateful we have hung on for a point. He also says that Guiseley were better than our last two opponents (previous opponents were Bradford PA who currently sit 2nd and stuffed York today). Then there is the issue with his selection of the bench.
Then he insinuating that he knows he will get criticism from some fans - I am by no means a Tommy out fan, but you have to admit some of the decisions and comments are a bit strange.
What issue with his selection of the bench? Who else have we? Why wouldn't he sound grateful for a point, when on chances created we should have lost? Guisley are maybe better than their position. They were only relegated last season, and seemed well organised. Halls is a good centre half for this division.. We used a lot of energy pressing first half, and it told second half, especially after the game midweek.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:07 am

Despite being a season ticket holder Saturday was my first game in a while and I thought it was a decent watch for a 0-0. I’m not quite sure why people seem to be so down, upset or quick to have a go at the players (both at the game and online).

First half I can think of 5 or 6 opportunities where through some quick interplay or an Ainge flick on we were very close to carving them open. Those chances don’t show on the stats and don’t go down as a shot on goal but had they been ¼ yard either side of a defender or just held up rather than run on to the keeper would likely have led to 2 or 3 goals. They may not all be obvious but we at times played some good stuff. On the back of that defensively we always have a wobble in us. However on Saturday I thought retrospectively we looked ok. There were a couple of times I thought we were going to get caught out and was panicking but each time someone made it back to cover or the keeper did enough to keep them out.

Things started to change when Ainge went off. I thought (without being amazing) he was having a good game, him and Saunders look a better partnership than Styche + 1. In Elliott, Nicholson, Wheatley, Henshall, Thommo & Trotman we have players that want to play but by having Ainge on the pitch it provides the option to go more direct, we need that to be able to mix it up and for me it was working.

Ultimately come half time we had been the better team, playing the better football.

Second half, unquestionably we struggled to get going, I think part of that came due to the loss of Ainge. With him and Saunders on the pitch the ball sticks up top better allowing others to join, with just Saunders up there the ball comes back too quickly (it’s not his fault his game is getting in behind). Come the 60th minute you could tell it was going to be a long half, Guiseley had upped the tempo and we couldn’t keep the ball. However it’s not just down to playing the right pass, it having the right option available, and without Ainge there was just not ability for anyone to protect the ball in the final third. As a results its keeps coming back at you. Players find themselves chasing the ball, closing down and in other words working hard. As a result of that hard work when you do win the ball it’s harder to ‘pick’ the right pass and harder to make yourself available. On Saturday I saw our players up against it and working hard as the originalfatcat said it needs to be applauded.

I appreciate they hit the woodwork (4 times I think). The first half chance our keeper did well closing down the angles whilst of the other 3 only the follow up chip attempt should have gone in. In Other words they were not creating endless chances against us.

Come full time, I would have said a score draw would have been a fair result, though I’m sure both teams can make a case for winning, us first them second half.

What I found annoying was the appreciation of the effort for those playing. I am not sure what the crowd want / expect. Come the end of the season I’d expect us to be mid table. We can’t afford to go up! So doing what we’re doing for the time being is OK, there is a bigger picture to the club and truthfully I can’t fault the effort from anyone involved at the club on Saturday I applauded them all off the pitch and as a community club it would be good if others did the same.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:19 am

Emdubya wrote:
jjljks wrote:Several good points made here, really need to get back to basics. Throw ins - just go down the line, when defending corners - leave one player upfield to give an option for quick break, defend by getting goal side and simple passes either to feet or into space behind the defence. At least we did not lose to Guiseley, but we need to be better especially at home.
Manager of the month award for November is already in the bag for you then.
No thanks, more like Sporting Director of Football :lol:

en passant

Post by en passant » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:36 am

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:Despite being a season ticket holder Saturday was my first game in a while and I thought it was a decent watch for a 0-0. I’m not quite sure why people seem to be so down, upset or quick to have a go at the players (both at the game and online).

First half I can think of 5 or 6 opportunities where through some quick interplay or an Ainge flick on we were very close to carving them open. Those chances don’t show on the stats and don’t go down as a shot on goal but had they been ¼ yard either side of a defender or just held up rather than run on to the keeper would likely have led to 2 or 3 goals. They may not all be obvious but we at times played some good stuff. On the back of that defensively we always have a wobble in us. However on Saturday I thought retrospectively we looked ok. There were a couple of times I thought we were going to get caught out and was panicking but each time someone made it back to cover or the keeper did enough to keep them out.

Things started to change when Ainge went off. I thought (without being amazing) he was having a good game, him and Saunders look a better partnership than Styche + 1. In Elliott, Nicholson, Wheatley, Henshall, Thommo & Trotman we have players that want to play but by having Ainge on the pitch it provides the option to go more direct, we need that to be able to mix it up and for me it was working.

Ultimately come half time we had been the better team, playing the better football.

Second half, unquestionably we struggled to get going, I think part of that came due to the loss of Ainge. With him and Saunders on the pitch the ball sticks up top better allowing others to join, with just Saunders up there the ball comes back too quickly (it’s not his fault his game is getting in behind). Come the 60th minute you could tell it was going to be a long half, Guiseley had upped the tempo and we couldn’t keep the ball. However it’s not just down to playing the right pass, it having the right option available, and without Ainge there was just not ability for anyone to protect the ball in the final third. As a results its keeps coming back at you. Players find themselves chasing the ball, closing down and in other words working hard. As a result of that hard work when you do win the ball it’s harder to ‘pick’ the right pass and harder to make yourself available. On Saturday I saw our players up against it and working hard as the originalfatcat said it needs to be applauded.

I appreciate they hit the woodwork (4 times I think). The first half chance our keeper did well closing down the angles whilst of the other 3 only the follow up chip attempt should have gone in. In Other words they were not creating endless chances against us.

Come full time, I would have said a score draw would have been a fair result, though I’m sure both teams can make a case for winning, us first them second half.

What I found annoying was the appreciation of the effort for those playing. I am not sure what the crowd want / expect. Come the end of the season I’d expect us to be mid table. We can’t afford to go up! So doing what we’re doing for the time being is OK, there is a bigger picture to the club and truthfully I can’t fault the effort from anyone involved at the club on Saturday I applauded them all off the pitch and as a community club it would be good if others did the same.

I agree with this, and have been dismayed by some of the comments above that seem to believe that just because the management go into a match on the upbeat and have a stated aim to entertain that this is what we should get on match day. No matter what the intention might be the opposition are there to thwart it, and players aren't video game characters with set values that are permanently present, they have ups and downs, get tired, have an off day, or get hacked off with being criticised. As has been said above and elsewhere, the lack of energy in the second half was probably down to the work rate in the first half, and the loss of Ainge's ability to provide a better focal point for the attack and giving the defence a breather. And we don't have enough backup on the bench to rotate the squad effectively from match to match or during the game to freshen things up. Earlier in the season, whilst also suffering from a lack of available players, we were getting beaten, so we are at least showing some signs of beginning to cope better with what we have.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:53 am

Just got through the highlights. F*** we were lucky to come away from that with a point... we need some options on the bench. We can't have a squad this thin and seriously expect to compete.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:03 pm

H1987 wrote:Just got through the highlights. F*** we were lucky to come away from that with a point... we need some options on the bench. We can't have a squad this thin and seriously expect to compete.
Exactly. Styche's departure not only brought in cash but will be freeing up the monthly wage bill.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:12 pm

It doesn't need to be huge. It could be a couple of players on short term loans, lets have a look at them, and extend if they look good.

I'd like to see us bring in a ball winning hard b*stard in the middle of the park. Make us more robust. We need to be able to scrap for it in this league. I'd hope there's some money in the budget for one other player now Styche has gone (probably on a lower salary, but i'd have assumed Styche was the best paid player at the club anyway)

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:32 pm

You mean helping to avoid a deficit, given that gates are lower than budgeted?
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
H1987 wrote:Just got through the highlights. F*** we were lucky to come away from that with a point... we need some options on the bench. We can't have a squad this thin and seriously expect to compete.
Exactly. Styche's departure not only brought in cash but will be freeing up the monthly wage bill.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:33 pm

Who is this ball-winning hard b****** who is available for loan within our budget and catchment area?
H1987 wrote:It doesn't need to be huge. It could be a couple of players on short term loans, lets have a look at them, and extend if they look good.

I'd like to see us bring in a ball winning hard b*stard in the middle of the park. Make us more robust. We need to be able to scrap for it in this league. I'd hope there's some money in the budget for one other player now Styche has gone (probably on a lower salary, but i'd have assumed Styche was the best paid player at the club anyway)
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:57 pm

I can understand people wanting to go into the loan market and I agree. At the moment there's nothing to bring on from the bench. The two strikers are automatic starters as there's no competition.

The problem with bringing in loans from Boro, Sunderland & Newcastle is that they will agree to the loan if there man is playing. They won't agree for him to come and sit on the bench. If we were to loan a striker I'd be surprised if Ainge was to give way as he's the physical part (and you're unlikely to find a physical young striker), which means Saunders would have to give way...which he really shouldn't.

We need to consider these ideas from all angles, not just from what's best for DFC.

I do however think that the big 3 would loan us some players.

I do like the look of our new keeper. Big physically for 18, I thought his handling was generally very good (although he did drop it once). But he'll play whilst Maddison is out.

I also look forward to O'Hanlon getting back. That'll improve the first 11

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:29 pm

Spyman wrote:Who is this ball-winning hard b****** who is available for loan within our budget and catchment area?
H1987 wrote:It doesn't need to be huge. It could be a couple of players on short term loans, lets have a look at them, and extend if they look good.

I know we're a fan run club, but I don't think we're asking fans to be scouts or the management just yet.

Suggesting there's a particular type of player we should look for to improve the team doesn't transfer the burden from the staff, to ourselves. It's not my job to have intimate knowledge of the Middlesbrough / Sunderland / Newcastle youth academy prospects, players from the Northern League who might make the step up, or guys out of favour locally / out of contract who could do the job, and it's a ridiculous argument to suggest it is.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:37 pm

D_F_C wrote:I can understand people wanting to go into the loan market and I agree. At the moment there's nothing to bring on from the bench. The two strikers are automatic starters as there's no competition.

The problem with bringing in loans from Boro, Sunderland & Newcastle is that they will agree to the loan if there man is playing. They won't agree for him to come and sit on the bench. If we were to loan a striker I'd be surprised if Ainge was to give way as he's the physical part (and you're unlikely to find a physical young striker), which means Saunders would have to give way...which he really shouldn't.

We need to consider these ideas from all angles, not just from what's best for DFC.

I do however think that the big 3 would loan us some players.

I do like the look of our new keeper. Big physically for 18, I thought his handling was generally very good (although he did drop it once). But he'll play whilst Maddison is out.

I also look forward to O'Hanlon getting back. That'll improve the first 11
It depends on the definition of playing, i suppose. Starting is one aspect of that, but right now, we are in a situation where any loan player coming in could, as the very least, expect considerable game time coming off the bench. They would certainly be very involved in the first team, if not necessarily start.

There may be a beneficial side to sending them to us also, in that as we only train part time, they could still spend half of their week at their parent club. We shouldn't be too negative and down about what this club can offer. Any game time for us is better than game time for Boro / Sunderland u18's or whatever in terms of experience, and toughening players up ready for first team rigours in the future. Aynsley Pears should hopefully be a good illustration of them. Remember, he only joined as emergency cover and we made it more long term.

A month long loan, which can be extended if both clubs and player agree, could help out some of these young lads immensely, and our club as well.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:58 pm

If we had our full complement of players, Collins, Caton, O'Hanlon, Styche, Burn (J), Syers and maybe Vaulks and young Glover all in the mix and all fit and at it maybe the world would be a better place. They were all around when the season began and would give us a very strong bench. I'm sure the loan will be looked at and I agree we need a hard man in the middle.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:42 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:If we had our full complement of players, Collins, Caton, O'Hanlon, Styche, Burn (J), Syers and maybe Vaulks and young Glover all in the mix and all fit and at it maybe the world would be a better place. They were all around when the season began and would give us a very strong bench. I'm sure the loan will be looked at and I agree we need a hard man in the middle.
A ball winner in the middle.Maybe someone like Tom Portas.Still say he should have been retained,or at least given a full pre season.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:47 pm

H1987 wrote:
Spyman wrote:Who is this ball-winning hard b****** who is available for loan within our budget and catchment area?

I know we're a fan run club, but I don't think we're asking fans to be scouts or the management just yet.

Suggesting there's a particular type of player we should look for to improve the team doesn't transfer the burden from the staff, to ourselves. It's not my job to have intimate knowledge of the Middlesbrough / Sunderland / Newcastle youth academy prospects, players from the Northern League who might make the step up, or guys out of favour locally / out of contract who could do the job, and it's a ridiculous argument to suggest it is.
It's also ridiculous to assume this player exists - perhaps those whose job it is have looked, and failed to unearth this missing piece in the jigsaw.

Highly unlikely you're going to find a 'hard-b******' iin someone's academy and the pool of non-league players open to us, particularly at this level and on our budget, is going to be virtually nil.

DC

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:49 pm

Portas wasn’t a ball winner! Plus he had been injured for over a year.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:06 pm

Portas is exactly what we've got now - a busy midfielder who gets around the pitch! We're missing someone to sit and dictate - I get the impression Hughes was meant to be that man, but obviously that signing has worked out a different way

I actually thought Saturday was a reasonably decent game..! I quite enjoyed it, and a hard won point at the end of it - one which I doubt we would have got earlier this season. Drawing games in which you are second best is a good skill to have. What we need to start doing is start winning games we are 2-0 up in...

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:08 pm

Now look what you've done, sent me off trawling the net to find Tom Portas' whereabouts! Looks like him, Fisher, Mitchell and a free scoring Amar are having fun at West Auckland albeit in front of a couple of hundred fans!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:55 pm

Spyman wrote:
H1987 wrote:

It's also ridiculous to assume this player exists - perhaps those whose job it is have looked, and failed to unearth this missing piece in the jigsaw.

Highly unlikely you're going to find a 'hard-b******' iin someone's academy and the pool of non-league players open to us, particularly at this level and on our budget, is going to be virtually nil.
Ball winning, defensive midfielders are relatively common. It's not reliant on age either. Obviously there's factors at play, but i'm hardly suggesting we line up with a leprechaun and a unicorn in the middle of the park.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:09 pm

Surely Jamie Chandler mk2 must be kicking about somewhere in one of the regions u23 sides

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:29 pm

I'd like to think that despite our Midlands connections we are still keeping tabs on the North-east non-league scene even though there is stiff competition for any emerging talent from the likes of Spendy and South Shields.

Given we only have two strikers on the books now, maybe a young Northern League player like Consett's Michael Sweet may be worth looking at. He's 24 years old and formerly with Gateshead Academy. Here's his record:

2013-14 Bill Synth 32 goals
2014-15 Bill Synth 34 goals
2015-16 Consett 26 goals
2016-17 Consett 32 goals
2017-18 Consett 43 goals
2018-19 Consett 17 goals in 22 games so far.

Right age and a former England Under-16 player, and clearly knows where the goal is, albeit at a much lower level. But didn't Spendy pick up Glen Taylor from Ashington?

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:38 pm

Michael Sweet also played a handful of games for Darlo in our Northern League season. Seem to remember he scored on his debut for us at Norton & Stockton Ancients.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:47 pm

You're right, he must have been about 18 then. Seems to have really discovered his goal touch in that league.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:57 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I'd like to think that despite our Midlands connections we are still keeping tabs on the North-east non-league scene even though there is stiff competition for any emerging talent from the likes of Spendy and South Shields.

Given we only have two strikers on the books now, maybe a young Northern League player like Consett's Michael Sweet may be worth looking at. He's 24 years old and formerly with Gateshead Academy. Here's his record:

2013-14 Bill Synth 32 goals
2014-15 Bill Synth 34 goals
2015-16 Consett 26 goals
2016-17 Consett 32 goals
2017-18 Consett 43 goals
2018-19 Consett 17 goals in 22 games so far.

Right age and a former England Under-16 player, and clearly knows where the goal is, albeit at a much lower level. But didn't Spendy pick up Glen Taylor from Ashington?
I was saying exactly this about Sweet the other day. Given how much Tommy appears to have improved Saunders, surely there must be someone at a lower level with some raw talent who could provide a bit of backup for relative peanuts. The lad Mondal at Whitby although he’d probably command a fee we likely can’t afford.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:14 pm

Didn't we once sign Glen Robson from the NL when we were in League 2? Saw him make his debut at Hull City and he couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:17 pm

Two added bonuses with Sweet.... he's a Darlo lad so wouldn't be on a six-hour round-trip for a home match and his name is heaven sent for the headline writers on the official site... cue "Sweet strike" etc etc!