Club news

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

AndyPark
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Club news

Post by AndyPark » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:43 pm

The clubs social media is still pretty terrible in my opinion.

The new website that has been developed by John Dunne and his team is first class, but some of the content is very ordinary.
I still believe that it can be massively improved.

The clubs Facebook/Twitter & Instagram is no words - Bad.
You only have to look at the other week when someone from the official account started slagging someone off. I am sure I was told at least 9/10 have the passwords for these accounts..

Again, last week when we had all these new sponsors on board - The club didn't even bother to tag these companies in a tweet to promote them.. It was only later done when fans said something.

On matchdays, if I am not at the game or listening to the DarloFansRadio - I follow tweets from the DFCSG account rather than the OfficalDarlo account, because they are few and far in-between.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:09 pm

AndyPark wrote:....

On matchdays, if I am not at the game or listening to the DarloFansRadio - I follow tweets from the DFCSG account rather than the OfficalDarlo account, because they are few and far in-between.

I had also noticed the lack of tweets on a match day . I had assumed it was because most people listened to the radio commentary.

To find out what is happening on Darlington games, I usually follow the twitter feed of the opposition as they always seem to be more active.

Twitter seems to be the social media of today more so than even Facebook or websites. Darlington do not use their twitter account to promote the club or its sponsors very well

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:24 pm

The club could do well to have a look at Sunderland's social media this season, well worth the follow this season, puts our media team to shame

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:29 pm

TinShedDarloFan wrote:The club could do well to have a look at Sunderland's social media this season, well worth the follow this season, puts our media team to shame
that's a club (SAFC) still with some remnants of a Premiership Club setup versus us - volunteer ran...... fair comparison?

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:37 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
TinShedDarloFan wrote:The club could do well to have a look at Sunderland's social media this season, well worth the follow this season, puts our media team to shame
that's a club (SAFC) still with some remnants of a Premiership Club setup versus us - volunteer ran...... fair comparison?
Isn't Ray Simpon FT?

There's plenty of experienced guys who follow this club who'd provide much better match updates etc given the opportunity. But these are dismissed apparently.

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:38 pm

Volunteers or not it's not hard to update the social media feeds and have some fun behind it whilst they're at it, even Shildon were interacting with them the other week, we can't even get our sponsors tagged in our updates never mind get some interest going

tezza

Post by tezza » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:47 pm

Wagner: Ride of the Valkyrie

Dizzy: Vic Reeves

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:24 pm

I've said this for months our Social media is garbage and when I moaned all I got were They are volunteers YES I get it but if you are going to do a job do it properly that's all we ask..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:34 pm

Ridiculous comparison to compare the social media to Sunderland. Christ. Doesn't make our social media good (it isn't), but come on.

Good to see Morley make some (small) progress with the rugby club. I still have no idea what their issue is with the signage, but at least there's been a bit of movement recently

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:39 pm

On Sunderland's level obviously were not going to get that but what they've created this season is a personality, interacting with fans, other clubs, other sporting accounts etc, our account has no personality at all, no interaction and struggles to get anything across, these are the basics of social media, are we going to have all the videos etc that Sunderland produce, no we're not but we can create a personality, a fun presence online, an account that gets us information and says look were an approachable club

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:43 pm

al_quaker wrote:Doesn't make our social media good (it isn't), but come on.
Come on AlQuaker, it's crap. It's so stuck in the past; there's no lighthearted fun in it at all, there's no interactions with fans often, it's so crap.

Look at other fan owned clubs, and it's million times better than ours.

bga

Post by bga » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:17 pm

tezza wrote:Wagner: Ride of the Valkyrie

Dizzy: Vic Reeves
Queen: "We WERE the Champions.............."

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:19 pm

Back to the music. I’d go for one of the following:

Boys are back in town - Thin Lizzy (for nostalgic reasons)

Insomnia - Faithless (just the instrumental bit - absolutely class)

Two tribes - Frankie goes to Hollywood (used to work really well with the NFL)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:43 am

I'm with the hairclip....great tunes! Think we need to give Craig Morley some applause as he's already made some progress very quickly. If you're not happy with Twitter why not offer to sit down and discuss it and suggest improvements? I don't tweet but I look at it and if it's not okay and needs an upgrade and you're a tweeting expert why not offer your services?

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:44 am

AndyPark wrote:
al_quaker wrote:Doesn't make our social media good (it isn't), but come on.
Come on AlQuaker, it's crap. It's so stuck in the past; there's no lighthearted fun in it at all, there's no interactions with fans often, it's so crap.

Look at other fan owned clubs, and it's million times better than ours.
I agree - it's not very good. Just that comparing it to what Sunderland are capable of with their resources is ridiculous.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:44 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:If you're not happy with Twitter why not offer to sit down and discuss it and suggest improvements? I don't tweet but I look at it and if it's not okay and needs an upgrade and you're a tweeting expert why not offer your services?
My understanding is that a lot of people have, but they are always shut down & turned away because Ray likes to have control of it all... Apparently.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:46 am

The Golden Hairclip wrote:Back to the music. I’d go for one of the following:

Boys are back in town - Thin Lizzy (for nostalgic reasons)

Insomnia - Faithless (just the instrumental bit - absolutely class)

Two tribes - Frankie goes to Hollywood (used to work really well with the NFL)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John Denver: Take me home, Country Roads. Simply change West Virginia for Blackwell Meadows. "Almost Heaven Blackwell Meadows............." or if we want to scare the opposition.

Chris Rea: Road to Hell

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:01 am

'Back home' - 1970 England World Cup squad :?

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:09 am

AndyPark wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:If you're not happy with Twitter why not offer to sit down and discuss it and suggest improvements? I don't tweet but I look at it and if it's not okay and needs an upgrade and you're a tweeting expert why not offer your services?
My understanding is that a lot of people have, but they are always shut down & turned away because Ray likes to have control of it all... Apparently.[/quote
If that's the case fair enough but that needs sorting if it's true! We need to encourage all offers of help and explain why we don't when it's being offered. We keep talking if transparency....I'll email him.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:18 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
My understanding is that a lot of people have, but they are always shut down & turned away because Ray likes to have control of it all... Apparently.[/quote
If that's the case fair enough but that needs sorting if it's true! We need to encourage all offers of help and explain why we don't when it's being offered. We keep talking if transparency....I'll email him.
I've offered my services to help on social media and even promised to be good on it plenty of times. But they never come to anything.

I'm sure there's plenty of others who've done the same.. I'd love to see the club being really proactive, having a laugh, getting with the modern times and just loosening up. If we are to encourage younger fans to come, then Social Media will play a huge role in this.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:08 pm

AndyPark wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
I've offered my services to help on social media and even promised to be good on it plenty of times. But they never come to anything.

I'm sure there's plenty of others who've done the same.. I'd love to see the club being really proactive, having a laugh, getting with the modern times and just loosening up. If we are to encourage younger fans to come, then Social Media will play a huge role in this.
I agree 100% Andy , Social media is key now a days love it or hate it