Arena Sports Village

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

al_quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Arena Sports Village

Post by al_quaker » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:44 pm

loan_star wrote:I heard on the grapevine that Northumbrian Water aren't adverse to building over the pipe as long as its encased in a void so they can get access should the worst happen.
This might make it more viable to develop BM although you would still have the rugby run off a few people don't like.
I know its better if the goal is closer but some of these who hate the run off used to sit right at the back of block 18 at the arena :wtf:
My opinion is that big run offs outside the pitch are not so bad if you can get a bit of height to compensate. If it's flat then they aren't great. Unfortunately, BM is pretty flat...

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:48 pm

al_quaker wrote:
loan_star wrote:I heard on the grapevine that Northumbrian Water aren't adverse to building over the pipe as long as its encased in a void so they can get access should the worst happen.
This might make it more viable to develop BM although you would still have the rugby run off a few people don't like.
I know its better if the goal is closer but some of these who hate the run off used to sit right at the back of block 18 at the arena :wtf:
My opinion is that big run offs outside the pitch are not so bad if you can get a bit of height to compensate. If it's flat then they aren't great. Unfortunately, BM is pretty flat...
Yes I can agree with that. I had a few (non-Darlo fan) mates that went to the first game at BM, and a few of them have commented since that they won't go back because they couldn't see.

Even the main stand is built without much elevation. Disappointed that we couldn't have got a better stand for our money.

Love the views from the (Newer) East Stand. Then there are other great examples such as the Whitby seated stand, then another good example of a terrace is the one at Lancaster which was very steep but gave a great view from behind the goal

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:12 pm

How the heck do you encase the pipe in a void? Seriously though, if we can develop it, it would seem to be a game changer, as an adequate ground could easily be built there (It'd still be achievable without, but this would make it easier for sure, and not involve altering current infrastructure).

I saw the other day Scarborough are putting in a new stand at their new place, and they're letting people vote for their preferred writing on the seats when they donate (Boro, SAFC or Seadogs). Wonder if we could do the same in future. It'd be nice to get DFC in black lettering on the seats.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:21 pm

H1987 wrote:
I saw the other day Scarborough are putting in a new stand at their new place, and they're letting people vote for their preferred writing on the seats when they donate (Boro, SAFC or Seadogs). Wonder if we could do the same in future. It'd be nice to get DFC in black lettering on the seats.
We're not even allowed a permanent sign relating to DFC, so I'm not sure about the chances of that :lol:

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:27 pm

al_quaker wrote:
H1987 wrote:
We're not even allowed a permanent sign relating to DFC, so I'm not sure about the chances of that :lol:
I mean, could they stop us.... they're our seats after all :lol:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:17 pm

Must admit I was underwhelmed by the new signage outside BM. It looked very temporary and was removed soon after the game. It's a slight step in the right direction, but only a slight one.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:51 am

If the club did not remove the flags, some young chap would have them on eBay :lol:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:17 am

jjljks wrote:If the club did not remove the flags, some young chap would have them on eBay :lol:
I agree with you, but there is no permanence. Anybody going past the entrance apart from when we are playing, wouldn't know we were even there.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:57 am

Darlington Council are having a planning meeting Tuesday 5pm and the Sporting Village is on the agenda to be discussed, so may be some indication of progress then.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:28 am

H1987 wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
H1987 wrote:
I mean, could they stop us.... they're our seats after all :lol:
They even managed to get us to buy a new sign from the league because it said Darlington "FC"... it now says "Welcome to Darlington"... @rseholes!!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:47 am

jjljks wrote:Darlington Council are having a planning meeting Tuesday 5pm and the Sporting Village is on the agenda to be discussed, so may be some indication of progress then.
It’s a good job the news is full of stories about how flush with cash northern councils are I suppose...

Do we really think that there is going to be a solid case to justify the spend / investment on this and do they even have any money to spend?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:12 am

lo36789 wrote:
jjljks wrote:Darlington Council are having a planning meeting Tuesday 5pm and the Sporting Village is on the agenda to be discussed, so may be some indication of progress then.
It’s a good job the news is full of stories about how flush with cash northern councils are I suppose...

Do we really think that there is going to be a solid case to justify the spend / investment on this and do they even have any money to spend?
Well if we rely on Darlington Council to sort anything out, we'll be waiting for a long time.

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:32 am

lo36789 wrote:

If they have it and they wanted to do it they could easily do it under the Public Health banner, with it being a community project... PH is up there with Social Care as an authority's top priority... there's also an economic benefit if it's done correctly. If the council had anything about them they'd only need to coordinate... developers and investors would do the rest...

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:35 pm

SwansQuaker83 wrote:
What does that mean, encased in a void?
A bit like a tunnel where they can get full access to it. Expensive no doubt but cheaper than moving it.

https://goo.gl/images/AY9rc7 a bit like this.

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:55 pm

loan_star wrote:
SwansQuaker83 wrote:
A bit like a tunnel where they can get full access to it. Expensive no doubt but cheaper than moving it.

That looks costly as well tho... could we not build a stand over it? so like you see in grounds like this where there's a bit that hovers for the ambulances to get to the pitch?

or like Whitby's main stand but with a gap in the brickwork to access the pipe from underneath the stand?

would improve the view as well.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:07 pm

Wasn't it on the front of the Echo the other day Darlington Borough Council want to give planning permission for 1,000 new homes - the land at Blackwell Rugby club must form part of that discussion - hopefully Darlington football club can benefit out of any relocation.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:00 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Wasn't it on the front of the Echo the other day Darlington Borough Council want to give planning permission for 1,000 new homes - the land at Blackwell Rugby club must form part of that discussion - hopefully Darlington football club can benefit out of any relocation.
In the small print it says "over the next 10 years". Stretching a point to state they would be around BM, i think.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:27 pm

loan_star wrote:
SwansQuaker83 wrote:

I've no idea how deep the pipe is under the stand, but assuming it's only a couple of metres down, in essence it'd just be building a basement under the stand that they could access? Doesn't seem like it'd be that much of a hassle, or expensive (more so than not, of course, but an option at least). At least if we can build all the way along that side, it will make a huge difference to both views, but also towards the place feeling less open, which is one of the things i dislike about BM right now.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:57 pm

SwansQuaker83 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

If they have it and they wanted to do it they could easily do it under the Public Health banner, with it being a community project... PH is up there with Social Care as an authority's top priority... there's also an economic benefit if it's done correctly. If the council had anything about them they'd only need to coordinate... developers and investors would do the rest...
Wouldn’t a private investor expect a return so we’d just become tenants again as likely any commercial revenues from a site would be destined for the investor in the PH project?

This was basically the problem with that bloke who came in pre the rugby club deal he basically had a private development opportunity with a football pitch on the side to sweeten the deal. Not sure there was any promise we’d control that asset or be a tenant - expectation if it is 4G pitch all the revenue from that facility would go to the investor...unless they are particularly kind.