Tommy's interview - seething

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, botrash, charlie, uncovered

LoidLucan
Posts: 2675
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:00 pm

What is there to misunderstand or misinterpret about him saying players are "using every excuse in the book to not attend training?"

Emdubya
Posts: 635
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by Emdubya » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:16 pm

“It wasn’t foreseen at the start of the season we would have to sell our leading scorer”.
Well Tommy,maybe if you were anything like a half decent manager and we had won a few games to get fans through the door we wouldn’t have had to sell him.
Absolute load of shite.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1630
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:33 pm

Without a shadow of doubt, Tommy will still be in charge come Saturday but God knows what the atmosphere will be like if we fail to win, it could and will be really nasty.If we do fail to win which would not surprise me in the slightest, then surely that will be it for Tommy.

Wonder if we get any new signings in or Tommy gives them another chance ?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 3826
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:50 pm

In the words of Glenn Frey - "The Heat Is On"
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

al_quaker
Posts: 5288
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by al_quaker » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:55 pm

Emdubya wrote:“It wasn’t foreseen at the start of the season we would have to sell our leading scorer”.
Well Tommy,maybe if you were anything like a half decent manager and we had won a few games to get fans through the door we wouldn’t have had to sell him.
Absolute load of shite.
Or if commercial performance was better, more people had turned up to PSFs etc. I don't doubt the performance of the team is interwoven with the financial performance of the club as a whole, but it's unfair to lay all of the financial issues at Wrights door in my opinion.

Anyway, the statement is reasonable enough on the face of it, although I'm not sure if being ill or injured would fall into the 'excuses' Wright mentioned after Saturday. It's obviously a damage limitation exercise, so hopefully if nothing else the statement calms the situation down enough so that this coming Saturday isn't a poisonous atmosphere (at least until(if?!) we start losing).

After the fall out of the last couple of weeks, any player who coasts through next Saturday without giving their absolute best deserves sacking on the spot tbh

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 5997
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by loan_star » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:40 pm

LoidLucan wrote:What is there to misunderstand or misinterpret about him saying players are "using every excuse in the book to not attend training?"
I was on about the fans targeting the players who live miles away as being the culprits. This may well have not been the case. Thats why it needed clarifying.

LoidLucan
Posts: 2675
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:53 pm

His clarification says something completely different to what he said after the game and says it's just a misunderstanding and misinterpretation by the fans. The new version just ignores that he said players were using "every excuse in the book to not attend training." The rest is a series of reasons (excuses) why we're terrible including the loss of Heaton who he replaced in the summer and the loss of Syers, who was as frustrated as hell because TW didn't use him a lot. And, oh yes, we're going for the playoffs.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1556
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:10 pm

He's obviously had his collar felt and yes there's a number of holes in it, but hey. Let's hope this is his Fergie moment. He's absolutely on the ropes at the moment. If he comes out of this one and has a successful managerial career, then good on him. Unlikely given the evidence, but here's hoping.

One thing that comes out is that he's frustrated with the disadvantages of part-time football in this league, where it's not a level playing field, and remember he was full time at Nuneaton, but he knew the pitfalls of part-time management before agreeing to take the job.
Martin Gray to be fair to him, whenever Ray pushed him on the part-time v full time thing, used to say 'That's how it is in this league. You have to compensate for it by matching them in work rate, team spirit and fitness', none of which TW has been able to instil, hence his frustrations.
Last edited by Vodka_Vic on Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 3826
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:26 pm

It seems obvious that Tommy really is feeling the pressure as he’s all over the place with what he’s saying.

I feel the nasty side of management, the inyerface Bernard and Jonno style of management isn’t the way he rolls, or wants to roll - anyway, he and the players will have to earn their wages this Saturday, It’s as simple as that.

Endlessly wheeling players out to offer up the “it’s not good enough” line has been done too much.

Vodka_Vic wrote:pert-time football


Is this is what Sepp Blatter used to salivate at the thought of?
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

dsr
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 10:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by dsr » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:34 pm

Press statements are often composed by behind the scenes people and put words into the mouth of the person at the sharp end. I wonder how much (and how little) of the clarifying statement is TW? I see the hand of others in the first part, perhaps dictating what TW ‘says’, moving more to what TW might actually say as the statement progresses.

H1987
Posts: 1030
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by H1987 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:23 pm

Lets be honest, he meant the original version, and he's realised the shitstorm he's unleashed.

Obviously some players will have limitations, although it makes me wonder... twice a week is not that much, and when you're being paid for the job, training properly is a huge part of that. To be honest, i'm starting to get a sense of unprofessionalism about the whole thing. It really makes me wonder why former players (and I note Cartman and Turnbull have been at it on twitter) feel quite so strongly about it that they need to comment on social media. Christ, I wish we had both of those two on the books still.

Emdubya
Posts: 635
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by Emdubya » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:29 pm

H1987 wrote:Lets be honest, he meant the original version, and he's realised the shitstorm he's unleashed.

Obviously some players will have limitations, although it makes me wonder... twice a week is not that much, and when you're being paid for the job, training properly is a huge part of that. To be honest, i'm starting to get a sense of unprofessionalism about the whole thing. It really makes me wonder why former players (and I note Cartman and Turnbull have been at it on twitter) feel quite so strongly about it that they need to comment on social media. Christ, I wish we had both of those two on the books still.
Not sure but wasnt it Gray who let Cartman go.If so he won’t have known anything about Wright’s failings.

tdk1
Posts: 1918
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:21 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by tdk1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:30 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:He's obviously had his collar felt and yes there's a number of holes in it, but hey. Let's hope this is his Fergie moment. He's absolutely on the ropes at the moment. If he comes out of this one and has a successful managerial career, then good on him. Unlikely given the evidence, but here's hoping.

One thing that comes out is that he's frustrated with the disadvantages of part-time football in this league, where it's not a level playing field, and remember he was full time at Nuneaton, but he knew the pitfalls of part-time management before agreeing to take the job.
Martin Gray to be fair to him, whenever Ray pushed him on the part-time v full time thing, used to say 'That's how it is in this league. You have to compensate for it by matching them in work rate, team spirit and fitness', none of which TW has been able to instil, hence his frustrations.
Team spirit is a funny one, as I don't see the faintest hint of it. The players never interact on social media, for one thing. Christ, theybdont even talk to each other on the pitch.

That line about the play offs had my head spinning.

H1987
Posts: 1030
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by H1987 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:46 pm

Emdubya wrote:
H1987 wrote:Lets be honest, he meant the original version, and he's realised the shitstorm he's unleashed.

Obviously some players will have limitations, although it makes me wonder... twice a week is not that much, and when you're being paid for the job, training properly is a huge part of that. To be honest, i'm starting to get a sense of unprofessionalism about the whole thing. It really makes me wonder why former players (and I note Cartman and Turnbull have been at it on twitter) feel quite so strongly about it that they need to comment on social media. Christ, I wish we had both of those two on the books still.
Not sure but wasnt it Gray who let Cartman go.If so he won’t have known anything about Wright’s failings.
Nah, it was Tommy. Decided he wasn't good enough. I think comments flew about on social media at the time as well.

lo36789
Posts: 8017
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by lo36789 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:49 pm

Wright eventually sold him but Gray definitely shared the view he wasn’t good enough he barely played him then shipped him out on loan.

H1987
Posts: 1030
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by H1987 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:06 pm

lo36789 wrote:Wright eventually sold him but Gray definitely shared the view he wasn’t good enough he barely played him then shipped him out on loan.
Aye. I think he was ok at this level. It wasn't a level he was going to fire a lot of goals in, but you'd maybe have got around ten a year, and maximum commitment. Someone you'd like to have on the bench. Not an unknown kid.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4467
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:06 pm

lo36789 wrote:Wright eventually sold him but Gray definitely shared the view he wasn’t good enough he barely played him then shipped him out on loan.
A lot of fans also shared that view as well.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789
Posts: 8017
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by lo36789 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:05 pm

Yep - the point is selling Cartman doesn't really demonstrate anything. No matter what he says on twitter. Us under performing this season in no way invalidates the "he's not good enough" view Wright had of Cartman.

Point is Wright might have pulled the trigger but Gray loaded the gun for Cartman so wouldn't use his sale as evidence of much.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 3826
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:46 pm

There’s two things here about Cartman.

Firstly we would have him back right now because we only have a young Harvey S and a faulty Simon A, but (secondly) he’s not really up to this level, he was not getting a sniff before.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

jjljks
Posts: 1394
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by jjljks » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:22 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:In the words of Glenn Frey - "The Heat Is On"
Think this is in the wrong thread and should be in the one about the music played as we run out ;)

H1987
Posts: 1030
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by H1987 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:12 am

No, you may well be right, but i'd say it's reasonably evident that we could probably use him in this current, wafer thin squad (christ, i'd even have Fenwick on the bench).

Also, he was an example of a guy who put maximum effort in, every single game. So while maybe, maybe not Cartman was on his way out under Gray, it's clear that TW failed to replace a guy who, for all his faults, was fit, committed and would run through walls for the club.

It's ludicrous we have a situation where we have two strikers at the club. Two, and one is still a youngster (Saunders).

banktopp
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Hereford

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by banktopp » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:39 am

We have no shortage of strikers.
Those players not attending training are arguably strikers !

Darlopartisan
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:30 pm

If we are still in the same predicament in January as regards our bare bones squad, Caton should be brought back in , we are paying him, I know he is out of favour with some fans and management, but needs must.

jjljks
Posts: 1394
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by jjljks » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:19 pm

banktopp wrote:We have no shortage of strikers.
Those players not attending training are arguably strikers !
:lol: good point.
I see now our new away strip is Guilet Jaune. Perhaps all dissatisfied fans should turn up in high visibility jackets too!

Wiseacre
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by Wiseacre » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:27 pm

I think this whole thing shows TW badly out of his depth but the club generally seem to me to have shown themselves to be cack handed and clueless. All a 'clarification' like this does is confirm what he said in the first place. Most of what he said on Saturday had the ring of clarity. I suppose the kindest word his behaviour is inexperience but at least he's given us a glimpse of what's been going on behind the scenes and what needs to change. The match on Saturday is very important because if we can't get a result that's it for this season. Even if we can get a win will we get any more ? The players demeanour tells you everything - The Heat Is On alright but can they Get Down On It ?

poppyfield
Posts: 1584
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by poppyfield » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:17 pm

Wiseacre wrote:I think this whole thing shows TW badly out of his depth but the club generally seem to me to have shown themselves to be cack handed and clueless. All a 'clarification' like this does is confirm what he said in the first place. Most of what he said on Saturday had the ring of clarity. I suppose the kindest word his behaviour is inexperience but at least he's given us a glimpse of what's been going on behind the scenes and what needs to change. The match on Saturday is very important because if we can't get a result that's it for this season. Even if we can get a win will we get any more ? The players demeanour tells you everything - The Heat Is On alright but can they Get Down On It ?
How many will turn up for training tonight?
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

banktopp
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Hereford

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by banktopp » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:36 pm

Hope you are going along to count them.

jjljks
Posts: 1394
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by jjljks » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:12 pm

Perhaps we could do video highlights of training along with names, then we can all see the bald truth for ourselves.

biccynana
Posts: 507
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by biccynana » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:04 pm

jjljks wrote:Perhaps we could do video highlights of training along with names, then we can all see the bald truth for ourselves.
Get someone to take the register?
"I asked for a drink. That's a wet glass. Bring me a proper drink." Lt Cdr EKR S, March 1963.

jjljks
Posts: 1394
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by jjljks » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:40 am

biccynana wrote:
jjljks wrote:Perhaps we could do video highlights of training along with names, then we can all see the bald truth for ourselves.
Get someone to take the register?
:lol:
Lines or detention if missing without a note from their parents!

Post Reply