Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

LoidLucan
Posts: 2826
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:03 pm

And it's not a matter of speaking with hindsight after it has turned out to be a disaster. Alarm bells should have been ringing at the time. They did with me based on the above.

Nuneaton picked up significantly after he left them and they got a new boss.

SwansQuaker83
Posts: 691
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:46 pm
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:36 pm

LoidLucan wrote:And it's not a matter of speaking with hindsight after it has turned out to be a disaster. Alarm bells should have been ringing at the time. They did with me based on the above.

Nuneaton picked up significantly after he left them and they got a new boss.
I certainly saw this a mile off, I tweeted at the time when he was linked with us, for God sake no, I actually assumed it was just speculation... i was willing to give him a chance to build his own squad but by September my mind was made up... He's certainly failed spectacularly to prove me wrong and I've never doubted he would.

He's clinging on for the money and for nothing else. I did wonder if he'd read last night how much DJ has put in personally for this club largely because he's filled gaps created by the dreadful football and results served up by Wright and his players leading to fans not being willing to spend their money to come watch us, and i wondered if he'd felt remotely bad, but I doubt he has... He's primarily responsible for the mess we're in, if he gave a shiny shite as he claims to, he'd walk, but he doesn't and he won't. I will always cheer the team on at games but I don't back him, I don't support him and I have no faith in him turning it around.

SwansQuaker83
Posts: 691
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:46 pm
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:39 pm

SwansQuaker83 wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:And it's not a matter of speaking with hindsight after it has turned out to be a disaster. Alarm bells should have been ringing at the time. They did with me based on the above.

Nuneaton picked up significantly after he left them and they got a new boss.
I certainly saw this a mile off, I tweeted at the time when he was linked with us, for God sake no, I actually assumed it was just speculation... i was willing to give him a chance to build his own squad but by September my mind was made up... He's certainly failed spectacularly to prove me wrong and I've never doubted he would.

He's clinging on for the money and for nothing else. I did wonder if he'd read last night how much DJ has put in personally for this club largely because he's filled gaps created by the dreadful football and results served up by Wright and his players leading to fans not being willing to spend their money to come watch us, and i wondered if he'd felt remotely bad, but I doubt he has... He's primarily responsible for the mess we're in, if he gave a shiny shite as he claims to, he'd walk, but he doesn't and he won't. I will always cheer the team on at games but I don't back him, I don't support him and I have no faith in him turning it around.
Just to add, after last night's revelations I fully understand why DJ hasn't booted him... I think in private he would admit that he wishes he could but I'm grateful that he hasn't taken a decision we can't afford... He and the board are heaven sent for this club and I'm grateful we have a club to support, but Wright can do one...

lo36789
Posts: 8051
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by lo36789 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:59 pm

FWIW it is unfair for us to say that Wright is clinging on for the money - he is going to back himself ultimately isn’t he. If he walks now he’s not getting a new job - if he turns this around then he keeps this job / can progress in management.

He’s also not going to just give up his income because we think there is a better manager for the job (as yet unknown / unidentified).

Ultimately nobody knows who the other candidates were so it is a flawed argument to say Wright was the wrong choice based on options available.

Comfortably_numb
Posts: 1874
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:23 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:09 pm

Wright won't resign - its Xmas - not many folk will walk from a paid job at this time of year. Don't blame him. Loyalty works both ways in football.

Do 'the board' deserve criticism of the appointment? - yes, but not in a 'sack the board' way. Just straight forward 'they' got it wrong - it happens. We all deal with it.

We can't afford to sack wright. No idea what contract he's on - but if he's got say 2 years left then would we have to pay 2 yrs salary (£40k?) - I don't think we have that cash lying around.

Could the board have appointed someone else? Yes, but they could've chosen someone with a better track record who could've still been poor. Then what? It's always a gamble.

We can't afford to change manager. We can as fans influence things to some degree - our 'noise' has directly lead to a change of thought from the manager - loan players come in and we score two goals - we have a threat. This should've happened earlier - having a goal threat subtly changes the mindset of both teams. Hopefully our defenders change their mindset from backs against the wall to supporting the midfield who in term are supporting the forwards etc.

bga
Posts: 1231
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by bga » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:16 pm

Gow9900 wrote:What Johnston said at the end of the netcafe. Imperative he isn’t hounded out by Mart’s little mob:

I want to explain to the fans how bad this is……for example, when our playing strip deal ended and we had to get a new strip. The accounts of the club have been that poor since it reformed that no-one would give us a line of credit and ultimately the only way we got a strip to play in was by me personally guaranteeing the kit deal. What this means is my personal finance sits behind the kit deal and we have to ensure we sell set volumes and reach revenue targets etc. If we don’t then I am liable for the balance which could run to 6 figures. I also personally guarantee the club's overdraft and have also put money into the club to help pay HMRC bills when we have faced winding up orders over the past 12 months. We do not normally talk about these issues in public but following the vile abuse I received at the end of the Nuneaton game and the chants for me to leave – I feel I need to let fans understand this. If people want me to leave I will walk away tomorrow but I really fear for the financial future of the club if I do. Maybe the individuals who abused me and my wife can pick up the personal guarantees that are the financial under-pinning of this club. None of the Board Directors take a penny out of this club it’s all done on a voluntary basis but you as fans have to decide. I can tell you now…..I want to walk away but I feel I have a moral and ethical responsibility to stay as the club could fold. It is certainly not worth the hassle, stress and abuse for no reward.


Let me know and I’ll go tomorrow but someone will have to step up an pick up the personal guarantees or the club could fold.
Regards DJ's comments above "What this means is my personal finance sits behind the kit deal and we have to ensure we sell set volumes and reach revenue targets etc. If we don’t then I am liable for the balance which could run to 6 figures."
I thought the shirt Sponsor paid us? I can understand we are expected to sell a certain number of shirts to give them publicity, but I don't understand DJ's reference to a possible volumes/revenue shortfall that could run to 6 figures that is £100,000 right? How many shirts did the Board think we would sell or am I missing something here? Clarification anyone please?

JE93
Posts: 1190
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by JE93 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:26 pm

bga wrote:
Gow9900 wrote:What Johnston said at the end of the netcafe. Imperative he isn’t hounded out by Mart’s little mob:

I want to explain to the fans how bad this is……for example, when our playing strip deal ended and we had to get a new strip. The accounts of the club have been that poor since it reformed that no-one would give us a line of credit and ultimately the only way we got a strip to play in was by me personally guaranteeing the kit deal. What this means is my personal finance sits behind the kit deal and we have to ensure we sell set volumes and reach revenue targets etc. If we don’t then I am liable for the balance which could run to 6 figures. I also personally guarantee the club's overdraft and have also put money into the club to help pay HMRC bills when we have faced winding up orders over the past 12 months. We do not normally talk about these issues in public but following the vile abuse I received at the end of the Nuneaton game and the chants for me to leave – I feel I need to let fans understand this. If people want me to leave I will walk away tomorrow but I really fear for the financial future of the club if I do. Maybe the individuals who abused me and my wife can pick up the personal guarantees that are the financial under-pinning of this club. None of the Board Directors take a penny out of this club it’s all done on a voluntary basis but you as fans have to decide. I can tell you now…..I want to walk away but I feel I have a moral and ethical responsibility to stay as the club could fold. It is certainly not worth the hassle, stress and abuse for no reward.


Let me know and I’ll go tomorrow but someone will have to step up an pick up the personal guarantees or the club could fold.
Regards DJ's comments above "What this means is my personal finance sits behind the kit deal and we have to ensure we sell set volumes and reach revenue targets etc. If we don’t then I am liable for the balance which could run to 6 figures."
I thought the shirt Sponsor paid us? I can understand we are expected to sell a certain number of shirts to give them publicity, but I don't understand DJ's reference to a possible volumes/revenue shortfall that could run to 6 figures that is £100,000 right? How many shirts did the Board think we would sell or am I missing something here? Clarification anyone please?
I believe he is talking about the puma kit deal. They will want assurances that we will make sufficient orders so that they can plan their production runs etc and that it's worth while them supply our kit.

I imagine that starts out with a headline figure or minimum order value that puma expected (potentially across both years if the 2 year kit deal we signed).

Comfortably_numb
Posts: 1874
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:23 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:30 pm

Think this is it. We need to sell replica kits. I'll be getting one.

bga
Posts: 1231
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by bga » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:36 pm

JE93 wrote:
bga wrote:
Gow9900 wrote:What Johnston said at the end of the netcafe. Imperative he isn’t hounded out by Mart’s little mob:

I want to explain to the fans how bad this is……for example, when our playing strip deal ended and we had to get a new strip. The accounts of the club have been that poor since it reformed that no-one would give us a line of credit and ultimately the only way we got a strip to play in was by me personally guaranteeing the kit deal. What this means is my personal finance sits behind the kit deal and we have to ensure we sell set volumes and reach revenue targets etc. If we don’t then I am liable for the balance which could run to 6 figures. I also personally guarantee the club's overdraft and have also put money into the club to help pay HMRC bills when we have faced winding up orders over the past 12 months. We do not normally talk about these issues in public but following the vile abuse I received at the end of the Nuneaton game and the chants for me to leave – I feel I need to let fans understand this. If people want me to leave I will walk away tomorrow but I really fear for the financial future of the club if I do. Maybe the individuals who abused me and my wife can pick up the personal guarantees that are the financial under-pinning of this club. None of the Board Directors take a penny out of this club it’s all done on a voluntary basis but you as fans have to decide. I can tell you now…..I want to walk away but I feel I have a moral and ethical responsibility to stay as the club could fold. It is certainly not worth the hassle, stress and abuse for no reward.


Let me know and I’ll go tomorrow but someone will have to step up an pick up the personal guarantees or the club could fold.
Regards DJ's comments above "What this means is my personal finance sits behind the kit deal and we have to ensure we sell set volumes and reach revenue targets etc. If we don’t then I am liable for the balance which could run to 6 figures."
I thought the shirt Sponsor paid us? I can understand we are expected to sell a certain number of shirts to give them publicity, but I don't understand DJ's reference to a possible volumes/revenue shortfall that could run to 6 figures that is £100,000 right? How many shirts did the Board think we would sell or am I missing something here? Clarification anyone please?
I believe he is talking about the puma kit deal. They will want assurances that we will make sufficient orders so that they can plan their production runs etc and that it's worth while them supply our kit.

I imagine that starts out with a headline figure or minimum order value that puma expected (potentially across both years if the 2 year kit deal we signed).
Got you but the figures still seem incredibly high don't they? Are we likely to sell in excess of £100,000 worth of replica shirts?

Darlogramps
Posts: 4588
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:54 pm

lo36789 wrote:FWIW it is unfair for us to say that Wright is clinging on for the money - he is going to back himself ultimately isn’t he. If he walks now he’s not getting a new job - if he turns this around then he keeps this job / can progress in management.

He’s also not going to just give up his income because we think there is a better manager for the job (as yet unknown / unidentified).

Ultimately nobody knows who the other candidates were so it is a flawed argument to say Wright was the wrong choice based on options available.
By the same logic, you have absolutely no idea whether they were better than Wright. Given our board were wrong about TW, it's perfectly reasonable to think they were wrong about the candidates they rejected. So you're in essence saying your own logic is flawed as well.

But you are missing the point entirely. Again. My comments are entirely based on Wright's obvious lack of ability as a manager. Wright shouldn't have been as high up the shortlist because his flaws were so plain to see. He shouldn't have even been on the shortlist. The record was there for everyone to see - we were all aware of how unconvincing it was.

His credentials were so few in number, you've resorted to making up things about his record at Nuneaton (punching above his weight etc, which was blatant rubbish).

It is so telling that throughout these last few weeks, where Wright has completely lost the support of the fanbase, that no one is defending him on his ability. There is no one in the footballing world who thinks he has ability as a manager, barring himself.

For those who don't believe he is clinging on for the money, answer me this. If he was doing the job for free (and therefore would not be losing out financially), would he still be holding on in there, despite all the stress, the abuse, the misery, the humiliation, the damage to his reputation as a coach? Of course not. He'd have walked because it's not worth the aggro. I don't blame him for not resigning - who would walk away without what they're owed? But let's pretend his motivations for staying are anything other than financial.

Oh and for the avoidance of doubt, I am full of praise of the job David Johnston, John Tempest and the other board members have done. It's pretty clear that without them stepping up, we'd have no club, so that's testament to their work and ability. It's just, on the issue of appointing Wright, I think it's fair to say they are culpable for making the wrong appointment.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
dfc4me
Posts: 251
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:03 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by dfc4me » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:01 pm

One thing that is certain is that we will need BTB more than ever next season but if TW is still in charge we don’t have any chance of reaching half this years total let alone increasing it.
Also, for 500 club and S.T holders who want to “ pay on the gate “ DON’T. Put your money in one of the buckets instead then the club get ALL the money.

Comfortably_numb
Posts: 1874
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:23 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:14 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
lo36789 wrote:....He shouldn't have even been on the shortlist.
Bet we had 50 plus CV's in for the job. And the other 46 applicants wouldve range from decent to mental. I'd have have TW on the shortlist. Might not have appointed him - but depends how he'd interviewed

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1622
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:02 pm

If we hadn't appointed Wright then wasn't Hardy going to come anyway? At worst we should have readvertised. Certainly among many people at the time the appointment of Wright left feelings of nervous hope rather than expectation. A young manager who was hopefully going to learn from his mistakes. Let's face it, there were plenty of Nuneaton fans on this board begging us to take him at the time and laughing when we did.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 3897
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:16 pm

Darlogramps wrote:There is no one in the footballing world who thinks he has ability as a manager, barring himself.
Utter utter twaddle! Do you think before you write such hyperbole? I'd list down some names here to disprove this but I'm over the age of 12.
Darlogramps wrote:For those who don't believe he is clinging on for the money, answer me this. If he was doing the job for free (and therefore would not be losing out financially), would he still be holding on in there, despite all the stress, the abuse, the misery, the humiliation, the damage to his reputation as a coach? Of course not. He'd have walked because it's not worth the aggro. I don't blame him for not resigning - who would walk away without what they're owed? But let's pretend his motivations for staying are anything other than financial.
What like David Johnson and others at Darlo are working free of charge despite all the stress etc - and in other walks of life people do things for free too.

You may not rate T.W. as a manager, that's your opinion, but you're being downright insulting to him here and you're taking it too far as there are other reasons above money that could make any individual want to make a success out of a challenging job. i.e. not quit.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

Darlogramps
Posts: 4588
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:52 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:There is no one in the footballing world who thinks he has ability as a manager, barring himself.
Utter utter twaddle! Do you think before you write such hyperbole? I'd list down some names here to disprove this but I'm over the age of 12.
I think that's what the youth of today call "triggered". It's a tad hyperbolic but not far from the truth. There aren't many people in the world of football who'd look at TW and say he's a good manager. If you believe this is wrong, perhaps you should list those names to disprove me. Otherwise, we can assume you don't know anyone.

As I've said countless times before, no one has offered a defence for TW to stay as Darlington manager on the basis of his ability. The only reason he's still here is because we can't afford to get rid of him. He is simply not cut out to be a manager and everyone knows it.
theoriginalfatcat wrote: You may not rate T.W. as a manager, that's your opinion, but you're being downright insulting to him here and you're taking it too far as there are other reasons above money that could make any individual want to make a success out of a challenging job. i.e. not quit.
I really don't care if what I'm saying is perceived to be insulting. TW is insulting me and other Darlo fans by blowing the B-T-B on poor players and allowing them to fail to turn up for training, by offering excuse after excuse for each poor display, by taking a decent side with a competitive budget into a relegation fight for a second season, by alienating last season's squad and not adequately replacing our senior players, and by putting in terrible, tactically inept performances week-after-week.

I believe the man's primary motivation now has to be his salary, rather than any belief of turning things around. FWIW, I don't think he's a money-grabber, that's not what I'm saying. More that he knows if he walks, he's going to find it difficult to get another managerial job given his poor track record, and that he'd lose out on the rest of his wage. I understand his reasons for it, but I don't have to respect them.

His record has been poor in his 14 months here. Now the circumstances are more difficult, he isn't about to start turning things around.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

banktopp
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Hereford

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by banktopp » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:50 am

lo36789 wrote:The point was he was 4th choice. Three rejected us - what is the next one on the list was Steve Staunton? Was Wright still the wrong appointment?

Your missing our point isn’t that Wright is a particularly successful manager but he has illustrated capability to get promotions and manage a team theoretically beyond their means (Nuneaton) previously - look at where they are now versus when Wright managed them.

Our point is he could have still been the best candidate who wanted the job - we have no real evidence otherwise.
When the fourth and only choice left had such a poor record, would it not have been sensible to leave Brown and Turnbull in charge and re-advertise the managers job.

LoidLucan
Posts: 2826
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:59 am

That would have been a sensible step to take, to draw breath and take a proper look again at things while we had stand-in managers who were doing a perfectly good job... in fact a very good job when you look at how dire things are now.

But by that stage it was all Tommee Wright, Wright, Wright, the Legend's Coming Home, without a cold, clear, analytical look at what that TW package actually entailed even though there was a lot of hard evidence of what we were really getting.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6066
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by loan_star » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:37 am

LoidLucan wrote:we had stand-in managers who were doing a perfectly good job... in fact a very good job when you look at how dire things are now.
Were they? I guess you didn't go to Nuneaton then where we were turned over by Wrights team? The performance there was poor. It shows there was a deep rooted problem and whoever got the job was going to struggle early on.
Fair enough Wright has done himself no favours this season but don't try to pretend Turnbull & Brown, or whoever else came in, would have waved a magic wand and all would have been better.
I was actually involved in a convo with one of the preferred candidates the other week and he gave his reasons as to why he turned the job down and said that in his view Wright was brave taking it on and has done well under the circumstances.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6066
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by loan_star » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:44 am

Darlogramps wrote: Also - do most appointments "not work out"? That's a hell of an assumption to be making without backing it up.
Darlogramps wrote:There is no one in the footballing world who thinks he has ability as a manager, barring himself.

Now who's making assumptions?

SwansQuaker83
Posts: 691
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:46 pm
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:59 am

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote: Also - do most appointments "not work out"? That's a hell of an assumption to be making without backing it up.
Darlogramps wrote:There is no one in the footballing world apart from insane idiots who thinks he has ability as a manager, barring himself.

Now who's making assumptions?
I've edited the post so that it's no longer an assumption.

LoidLucan
Posts: 2826
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:02 pm

You're putting words into my mouth. I didn't say they had a magic wand nor that they were a long-term solution but they did steady the ship. Yes I was at Nuneaton for that game and we were poor. Brown and Turnbull said so but they also said they had made mistakes that day and knew what had gone wrong and would put it right. And the next game with them in charge we won, you forgot to mention that.

Can't see how anyone could possibly say TW has done well "under the circumstances." We know, because TW himself and the board said so, that in the summer he was given a good, competitive budget for this level. Better than lots of clubs. He had a blank sheet of paper and messed up the budget and we slumped... it was then that he had more trying circumstances because his failing management led to terrible results and a big slump in income.

It has become more difficult now because of his failure and we have everything else in the equation such as the training scandal, man management issues, failure to use the loan system properly until now.... I could go on.

This is the reality of the situation and I don't think it's right or fair to portray it like TW was handed some sort of poisoned chalice and is doing a great job in the face of adversity.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6066
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by loan_star » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:07 pm

LoidLucan wrote: Can't see how anyone could possibly say TW has done well "under the circumstances.".
So you are saying that someone who turned the job down isn't in a position to make a judgement on what he thinks is a good job under the circumstances?
By the way I am not defending Wrights record this season, it has been poor. Chester was the turning point for me in that his days are numbered. I just think that since he isn't prepared to walk out that we have to see the season out and make a change then if its required still. Finances dictate that this is our only option.

SwansQuaker83
Posts: 691
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:46 pm
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:14 pm

Or we put pressure on him to walk in the hope he has any decency... He's taking us down whether we boo him and chant for him to go or we cheer for him so may as well get a fighting chance of surviving.

SwansQuaker83
Posts: 691
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:46 pm
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:19 pm

We could stick him on gardening leave and ask a senior player to step up..... Oh hang on, we don't have any left

LoidLucan
Posts: 2826
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:22 pm

loan_star wrote:
LoidLucan wrote: Can't see how anyone could possibly say TW has done well "under the circumstances.".
So you are saying that someone who turned the job down isn't in a position to make a judgement on what he thinks is a good job under the circumstances?
By the way I am not defending Wrights record this season, it has been poor. Chester was the turning point for me in that his days are numbered. I just think that since he isn't prepared to walk out that we have to see the season out and make a change then if its required still. Finances dictate that this is our only option.


I'm saying I disagree with his assessment given how TW was backed in the summer but it's clear you also think he is not the right man to take this club forward. I don't think there are many/any left who do. I still don't know how he will be able to stand what could well become an increasingly toxic atmosphere at games. It can't be anything other than damaging for him and the club. On a personal level I don't really want to attend BM for a dreadful experience like that so it's hardly surprising the waverers will just keep their distance. What a mess.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6066
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by loan_star » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:30 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
loan_star wrote:
LoidLucan wrote: Can't see how anyone could possibly say TW has done well "under the circumstances.".
So you are saying that someone who turned the job down isn't in a position to make a judgement on what he thinks is a good job under the circumstances?
By the way I am not defending Wrights record this season, it has been poor. Chester was the turning point for me in that his days are numbered. I just think that since he isn't prepared to walk out that we have to see the season out and make a change then if its required still. Finances dictate that this is our only option.


I'm saying I disagree with his assessment given how TW was backed in the summer but it's clear you also think he is not the right man to take this club forward. I don't think there are many/any left who do. I still don't know how he will be able to stand what could well become an increasingly toxic atmosphere at games. It can't be anything other than damaging for him and the club. On a personal level I don't really want to attend BM for a dreadful experience like that so it's hardly surprising the waverers will just keep their distance. What a mess.
Crossed wires there then, he was defending how Wright did under the circumstances last season. This season its of his own making.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5414
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:40 pm

I can see why the board offered the job to Wright and I can see it was a risk with Wrights past, however he did have something in his favour.

He had set up an academy, which is something we needed after MG removed himself from the club, it was a quick win - however we really need to separate the two areas completely, it causes extra challenges when a manager isn't performing.

Wright had sold players for Nuneaton into full time football, which most accepted was something we had to do - it worked with Heaton.

He had experience at this level, although alarm bells at one relegation and not exactly doing great at Nuneaton. I can also see that initially Wright is quite a good talker and would come across well in interview, also sharing the willingness to work to a tight budget.

The other option on the table at the time was Hardy who has no experience at this level, could still have worked out better but maybe not.

Anyhow the point being I can see why the board went with Wright at the time.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6066
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by loan_star » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:44 pm

SwansQuaker83 wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote: Also - do most appointments "not work out"? That's a hell of an assumption to be making without backing it up.
Darlogramps wrote:There is no one in the footballing world apart from insane idiots who thinks he has ability as a manager, barring himself.

Now who's making assumptions?
I've edited the post so that it's no longer an assumption.
So you are calling Johnson, Tempest and the rest of the interviewing panel insane idiots? Are you trying to drive them out the club as well?

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 3897
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:21 pm

divas wrote:It’s in the accounts isn’t it? My understand was always that rent was around £35K and the other £30K was a cost of service we pay to the rugby club. Depending on what agenda you have will depend on what number you want to use.

So when the cost of Heritage Park is quoted at £34K P.A. is that plus all the other costs as mentioned here re Blackwell Meadows, or is (was it) 34K all in?

Anyone .......
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

Darlogramps
Posts: 4588
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:30 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote: Also - do most appointments "not work out"? That's a hell of an assumption to be making without backing it up.
Darlogramps wrote:There is no one in the footballing world who thinks he has ability as a manager, barring himself.

Now who's making assumptions?
Given no-one has defended TW on the basis of his ability, I don't follow your point. It seems this post is nothing more than you maintaining your vendetta against me. Are you telling me there are people who think TW is a good manager? If so, I'd love to know who they are.

Theoriginalfatcat has gone awfully quiet after I asked him.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Post Reply